The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish!

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 176
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 10:10 AM (permalink)
By the way, Mellowroast, Ruby has the best soup recipes!!!

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 2:29 PM (permalink)
    Wow, this thread made the Newsletter! Joe, go to my head, Naaa. Now to get my old printer working so I can frame it. And, and where can I get it blown up for framing?

Joe, correct answer! Chewing celery burns more calaories than it has. What about chopping it? Or yes, typing about it!

Ruby, nice picture! And thanks! Two more celery side dishes. And both look yummy!

Ann, sauteid celery w/ butter and corn off tha cob... sounds great! I had never heard of this side dish. I could do a main coarse of that though. :~)

Mellow, if the Texas Chili Parlor was not within walking distanceof the state capital it might not be so famed. They had good chili at one point in time though. Tomatoes... no self respecting Trail Drive cook would be packing tomatoes. The Chili Queens of San Antonio... don't think so. Benny Binion's Real Texas Chili... NO WAY! To the true Texas Chili purest there are no tomatoes used. Some Texas Chili cooks have been known to sneak in some Tomato Sauce though. And... lotsa chili cooks here in Texas use tomatoes.

I think few, before this thread, knew that celery is just fine to use in Texas Chili though. Don't forget C.V. Woods Jr's winning Terlingua  recipe. This was the third year of the contest but Woody was the first to be declared an all out winner. Was it his use of celery that allowed him to beat out Wick Fowler? I tend to think so.
    Joe
    <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Mon, 11/1/10 4:22 PM>

Shara

• Total Posts: 123
      Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 2:47 PM (permalink)
      A friend's mom used to serve celery with a cream cheese and vinegar-pimento stuffing as an appetizer every Thanksgiving, and I still remember how good it was. I have to admit though that I like celery more in a dish than as a side dish by itself. More than like, I love the flavor it lends. Just made a chicken pot pie last night that wouldn't be as good without the chopped sauteed celery. It's a supporting player, but a really good one.

PapaJoe8

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 2:55 PM (permalink)
        Disclaimer;

Definitions of Texas chili can get tricky. There is Texas Style Chili, Texas Bowl of Red, and.....  Then there are the rules for various chili cook offs. Sounds like "Lone Star Chili" is what the Texas Chili Parlor calls their Texas chili w/ tomatoes.

Hmm, I wonder if celery is included in any of the chili served at the Texas Chili Parlor? That could be a secret though? Folks have been known to keep secrets about their chili recipes. :~)
        Joe

PapaJoe8

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 4:14 PM (permalink)
          Shara, that celery stuffing sounds good! Stuffed Celery recipes could have their own whole thread I think. It's a very popular dish. And your right that celery is a really good supporting player. Neat way of putting it!
          Joe
          <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Mon, 11/1/10 4:16 PM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
            Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 5:39 PM (permalink)
            I haven't read all the posts, forgive me if I repeat one, but Celery with peanut butter slathered on, and celery used as a mini shovel to get tuna dip in one's trap.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
              Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 5:54 PM (permalink)
              Celery stuffed with Peanut Butter plus raisins on top = "Ants on a Log"! 

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
                Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 7:01 PM (permalink)
                Ann:  Thank you, I may just have to ask her for some soup recipes as the temperature dives.  We're expecting 34 degrees on Friday.

Shara:  You're right, chicken pot pie without celery would be flat. 

Chewingthefat & Foodbme are both right on target.

PapaJoe8 (a.k.a. Celery-Breath):  Chili may well be the most misunderstood dish of all.  Beans or no-beans, tomatoes or no-tomatoes, noodles or no-noodles, celery or no-celery, cans or no-cans, and then there's another subject altogether, Cincinnati Chili!
                <message edited by MellowRoast on Mon, 11/1/10 7:06 PM>

PapaJoe8

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 8:12 PM (permalink)
                  I'll forgive you Chewer but you missed some good first known pictures of Human Beings back on P.4. There was some speculation that those folks may have been discussing celery. Celery stuffed w/ peanut butter was mentioned earlier. Celery used as a dipping stick for Tuna was not, that I remember. Good in Tuna salad, good to dip Tuna with, makes sense to me.

Foodb, P/B w/ raisons... Ants on a Log, neat name! I must make some of those for tha little zillas. :~)

Mellow, you make Chili sound very versatile! You have just scratched the surfice of things known to be put in a pot of Chili. There is an old "weird things" thread around here somewhere. Even you might be supprised at some of the stuff folks at Roadfood mentioned. In some of the Cincy Chili threads some claimed that it should be called a Greek Pasta Sauce. I never said that though! If it has chili powder in it then it could  be called chili! The Cincinnati area does have more Chili Parlors than anywhere else in the world.

I still say Stuffed Celery Recipes might deserve a whole thread unto themselves. Till then... I wonder how many restaurants around the country might be serving some type of stuffed celery during the Holiday Season?
                  Joe
                  <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Mon, 11/1/10 8:37 PM>

PapaJoe8

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 8:34 PM (permalink)
                    Oh Mellow, the subject of tomatoes is also a touchy subject when it comes to Seafood Chowder in some parts of the country. I think they even tried to outlaw the practice in some areas. I am happy to say that no such efforts have been made, concerning chili, here in Texas.

And, I have heard of no such efforts to outlaw the much beloved Celery in any dish... anywhere.
                    Joe

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
                      Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 9:42 PM (permalink)
                      This is an absolute favorite of mine.  Celery, black olives and salami, dressed with salt, pepper and olive oil.

Then after everybody gets theirs, I add sharp provolone and anchovies to mine

Tony Bad

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/1/10 10:16 PM (permalink)
                        Bluefish fillets, wrapped in foil, a couple of lemon slices, a bunch of thin sliced celery and some salt and pepper. Wrap tightly, toss on grill, let steam for a few minutes then poke holes in foil about a minute before you take off grill.

My grandmother also made a marinated celery and olive concoction she put up in jars, Good stuff. Joe, you can add the provolone for me, but save the anchovies for after I take my share.

MellowRoast

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Tue, 11/2/10 12:17 AM (permalink)
                          Joerogo's salad and Tony Bad's foil-wrapped fish are great ideas I'm going to try.  Easy to make, lots of flavor.  Thanks for the tips.

This will forever be known as the infamous Celery Thread.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                            Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Tue, 11/2/10 8:28 AM (permalink)
                            Good to see you, Ann.  I'm still cranking out soups once or twice a week. 

Although we're not supposed to put recipes here, this one seems like it belongs.

CREAMED CELERY SOUP – 3 to 4 servings

1 bunch of celery, cleaned, some leaves reserved for garnish
                            1 Tbs. butter or margarine
                            1/2 cup chopped onion
                            1 Tbs. fresh parsley sprigs
                            1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
                            1/2 cup cooked rice
                            1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
                            1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
                            3 cups milk or light cream
                            1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
                            Paprika for garnish

[Notes:  1) Add rice to mixture to be pureed if you want a very smooth soup; add rice after pureeing if you want a little more texture to it.  2) Herbs such as tarragon or marjoram can be added with the chicken broth.  3) Grated cheddar cheese can be substituted for the blue cheese or it can be omitted altogether.  4) You can freeze this recipe by following it but not adding the milk or cheese until after you defrost and reheat it.]

If outer stalks of celery have tough strings, pull them out when cleaning.  Chop the celery and some of the leaves.  In a 3 qt. pot, melt the butter and saute the celery and onion over medium low heat until onion is clear, about 20 minutes.  Add 1 cup of chicken stock or more if needed to cover vegetables; add parsley.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until celery is soft.

Puree in batches in blender or blend with stick blender until smooth.  Add rice, salt, pepper and milk.  Reduce heat to low and heat thoroughly, about 15 minutes.  To serve, put about 1 Tbs. of the crumbled cheese (if using) in the bottom of each heated soup bow; fill with soup and garnish with paprika and celery leaves.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                              Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Tue, 11/2/10 8:39 AM (permalink)
                              Another interesting piece of celery trivia:

Did you ever drive past an Amish farm and see a field filled with approx 2 1/2 foot lengths of upright PVC pipes?  That a sure sign that in November or December of that year, there will be a wedding in the family.  There is celery growing inside them and while I'm not sure of the exact process, the end result is creamy ivory colored bunches of celery.  Instead of flowers, a combination of leafy green celery stalks (like the ones in the photo on page 3) and the light colored ones are placed in jars of water on the tables at an Amish wedding dinner.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Tue, 11/2/10 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                joerogo- a man after my own heart-anchovies!! Your salad looks awesome...

PapaJoe8

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Tue, 11/2/10 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                  Joe, looks great! I'll have mine just like yours. But... can I have Tony's share of the Anchovies? Ok, ok, I'll split em w/ Ann.

Tony, I am a Bluefish fan but have never had the pleasure of having it as you discribe. Sounds great! And, your Grandmothers Olive Concoction also sounds great! I would trade some Muffaletta relish for a jar of that.

Mellow, thanks to all great posts here this thread has surpassed all expectations. Fabulous / Infamous... only time will tell.

Ruby, I think recipes are just fine to put here. This soup sounds fabulous! The Blue Cheese is like icing on the cake for me.

Anyone know of a restaurant anywhere that serves a soup, w/ celery, that is anywhere near as good as Ruby's sounds?

Oh, Ruby... I was thinking, just before I came here, that maybe we needed to know a bit more about celery trivia and history. Geat info you have posted!

I have heard that, in times gone by, a vase of celery in water was common place at many American dinner tables. Could this be a tradition that needs to be revived?
                                  Joe

Edit; The "revived" deal.
                                  <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Tue, 11/2/10 6:50 PM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
                                    Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Tue, 11/2/10 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                    Tony Bad

Good stuff. Joe, you can add the provolone for me, but save the anchovies for after I take my share.

NO ANCHOVIES????  What the heck kind of Sea-Chili-On-O are you

My Mother made an olive salad.  And somehow she let the celery soak up olive oil and red wine vinegar before she mixed it together.  Man do I miss that.

An easy side dish, or main dish.  I even make it at my office.
                                    Chop up some celery.  Mix in a small can of northern beans and a can of tuna.  EVOO and some salt and pepper.....heaven!  If the spirit moves me, I will add a splash of vinegar.  Celery and tuna were made for each other.

PapaJoe8

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Tue, 11/2/10 6:42 PM (permalink)
                                      Joe, shhh... Ann and I are spliting Tony's share of those Anchovies!

The second mention of Olive salad w/ celery. I had no idea! Sounds great though!

Joe, I have a can of Great Northern Beans. Maybe those would work even better? Maybe just Tuna w/ the vegetable oil it comes with? No, I am sure drained Tuna w/ Evoo would be even better. I do have a few cans of Tuna in water that I need to use somehow. Ether way would work for me though. Hey, I'm tha guy who never drains the oil and just mixes it in w/ tha Tuna. That prevents wrinkles I am told. Not that I worry about that kinda stuff. I just like it that way. :~))  Hmm, maybe a splash of the Vinegar that comes w/ those tiny little peppers???
                                      Joe

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
                                        Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Tue, 11/2/10 10:21 PM (permalink)
                                        I love celery sprinkled with salt, or Whatever.

Foodbme

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Fri, 11/5/10 1:36 PM (permalink)
                                          Anyone ever try Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Soda?

MellowRoast

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Fri, 11/5/10 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                            Is PapaJoe8 in the running for the coveted Roadfood Thread of The Year Award

PapaJoe8

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Fri, 11/5/10 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                              Uncle Groucho, welcome to Roadfood! You are among those enlightened few who appreciate the true basics of enjoying a good stick of Celery!

Foodb, Cel-Ray was the answer to a a PoP Quiz by Billyboy on page one. SBQ won the prize! I think someone said they liked Cel-Ray somewhere on this thread? I have never tried it.

I have heard that the very first Flavored Soda may have been created by a Celery stick stuck in a glass of soda. The soda sucks out the Celery flavor.

The more you learn about Celery, the more you realize what an influence it has had on our culture. Without it there would be no Chicago Style Hot Dogs, Buffalo Wings, Flavored Soda, Cream of Celery... and other great soups too numerous to mention, the Bloody Mary as we know it today, the inspiration of many great songs, and ...................

Lol Mellow. U a Wild n Crazzzy Guy!*&^$#@
                                              Joe

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                                Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Sun, 11/7/10 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                                I find Cel-Ray to be drinkable, but I wouldn't order it.

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                  Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/8/10 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                                  Bartl, it may be an acquired taste thing.

A stalk of celery in some soda is said to be the very first flavored soda. Coke and Pepsi owe celery a big Thank You! :~)

I might try making my own Celery Soda next time I have some celery and some soda water.
                                                  Joe

MellowRoast

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/8/10 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                                    PapaJoe8

I have heard that, in times gone by, a vase of celery in water was common place at many American dinner tables. Could this be a tradition that needs to be revived?
                                                    Joe

You know, I had completely forgotten about that until now.  You're right.  I believe my mother placed celery in water at the center of the dining table for important family gatherings like Thanksgiving, Christmas, anniversaries, National Shanghai Jimmy Appreciation Day, etc.   I haven't thought of this since childhood.

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                      Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/8/10 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                                      Mellow, maybe this is a tradetion that should be revived. It probably freshens the surrounding air.
                                                      Joe

MellowRoast

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/8/10 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                        So did my pet pig Petunia!

MellowRoast

Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/8/10 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                          Couldn't find a DELETE button!
                                                          <message edited by MellowRoast on Mon, 11/8/10 6:39 PM>

Foodbme

• Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                            Re:Celery, The Nation's Most Underestimated Side Dish! Mon, 11/8/10 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                                            MellowRoast

So did my pet pig Petunia!

We heard her the first time!
                                                            The celery in the middle of the table was a cheap centerpiece that you could eat! It's been replaced by the $3.99 pot of Mums, (Or Pertunia's) from the supermarket that you cannot eat!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 176

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com