Cell phone credit card companies

Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2014/06/13 22:34:19 (permalink)

Cell phone credit card companies

Since there are a number of people here who use their cell phones to take credit card payments, I figure this is a good place to ask. I currently use Paypal for online payments, and the place where I rent from has been handling the credit card payments. However, I need to start taking credit card payments live (generally about $50-200). I have a choice of Paypal, Intuit, and Square. Those who have had more than one, which one do you like better, and why?

Bart

7 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Cell phone credit card companies 2014/06/14 13:24:11 (permalink)
    You can't go wrong with Paypal, IMHO!

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    Re:Cell phone credit card companies 2014/06/14 14:00:04 (permalink)
    I use AMX exclusively.  Probably not good for owner as they tend to charge too much.  Not all places take AMX for that reason.  I use AMX because I  pay them off each month and gain points.  I have the gold card and have considered using the platinum.

A good portion of folks are going cashless and I am one of them.  If they do not take my card, I do not go there.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    Re:Cell phone credit card companies 2014/06/14 15:34:56 (permalink)
    I agree with Paul. It is worth a little more to be able to use a single company that does all cards. I don't know to much about them because I am no longer in a business that takes plastic, but the ads for Square look kool.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3541
    Re:Cell phone credit card companies 2014/06/14 16:00:41 (permalink)
    I've only used PayPal Here, and it works just fine for me. I don't do much in the way of business and it goes in waves (months go by without a CC sale, and then I do a craft show and there are a dozen in a single day), so it's nice that there is no monthly fee. I also love that it doesn't require my phone to be a WiFi hotspot, just that it have internet access, so I don't have to pay extra on my wireless bill in order for it to work. The fees are more than reasonable, and I've never had a problem using it. My customers can use Visa/MC/Discover/Amex, or their PayPal accounts if they'd rather, so I've never had a problem accepting any kind of payment from anyone. It even has the capability of scanning personal checks, although as a rule I don't accept them from anyone I don't know personally. The money I receive goes into my PayPal account, and from there I can transfer it to my bank account if I wish. The one from PayPal was also free, and the app is free, which could very well be true of the others as well, but I thought I'd throw that out there in case it isn't.

My friend, on the other hand, couldn't make the one from PayPal work for her to save her life, so she ended up going with Square. She swears by it, but then she also does a great deal more volume on a regular basis than I do.

The only thing I don't like about any of them is they won't work if your phone is in a case because it doesn't allow them to plug in far enough. So when I'm at a craft show I have to uncase my phone, which I truly hate doing because I'm a klutz. But that's true regardless of which model you use.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2014/06/14 16:04:08
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2015
    Re:Cell phone credit card companies 2014/06/14 18:22:14 (permalink)
    I use square, 2.75% all cards. Personally I have not had any problem with them for close to four years. Most transactions are small, $10-30.00.
    I have an iphone in a hard otter case, no problem plugging in the reader, and if you do, get an adapter at radio shack.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:Cell phone credit card companies 2014/06/14 19:04:03 (permalink)
    My local brewery uses the Square system in their tap room.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3541
    Re:Cell phone credit card companies 2014/06/14 19:22:06 (permalink)
    chefbuba

I use square, 2.75% all cards. Personally I have not had any problem with them for close to four years. Most transactions are small, $10-30.00.
    I have an iphone in a hard otter case, no problem plugging in the reader, and if you do, get an adapter at radio shack.

Interesting! I'll have to look into an adapter...I had no idea there even was such a thing, or that it would work if there was. Thanks! Because it definitely doesn't work with any of my Trident cases.

I had to look up the PayPal Here fees (I really don't use it that often). 2.7% on each transaction with a swiped card, 3.5% + $0.15 for typed-in cards, and the standard 2.7% + 1% for cards from outside the US.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1