The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 report with pics

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 87
wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
  • Roadfood Insider
Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 report with pics Tue, 03/9/10 10:55 AM (permalink)
Welcome to the official thread for our annual New England Spring Meet n Greet
This year we will have a "Central Rhode Island Centric" meet n greet  meaning we'll be touching upon the delicacies that the mid- section of the state is known for including Hot Weiners,  Coffee Milk, Bakery Pizza Strips  and  Classic Red  Sauce Italian Food.

Please use this thread to let me know that you will be attending so that I can have an accurate count.
Also please feel free to make any suggestions .

I would like to use this opportunity to make a suggestion for Breakfast at the veryfirst  and one of very few diners to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places

The Modern Diner in Pawtucket
http://www.quahog.org/cuisine/index.php?id=78

Followed by the new "Food on  the move"  exhibit at the Johnson and Wales Culinary Arts Museum

We can consider lunch either on Federal Hill (Providence's Little Italy) or at one of the Hot Weiner Joints (or both!)
and then on to some Bakery Pizza Strips at one of many great local Italian Bakeries.

<message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 05/27/10 6:14 PM>

bethgrd

• Total Posts: 320
    Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Tue, 03/9/10 5:31 PM (permalink)
    Modern diner looks terrific!
    i will defer to you as you are a native and know the area.
    not being a weiner eater, one will suffice for me.
    love to eat on federal hill...what rests. do you know there???
    beth

paulde

Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Tue, 03/9/10 7:37 PM (permalink)
      This will be my first Meet-n-Greet.  Looking forward to sampeling some of the RI specilties and meeting some of the Roadfooders.  Beth and I have met and been out to lunch a few times. 

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Tue, 03/9/10 8:57 PM (permalink)
        Paulde, as you can see, the date is now up in the air, however I do look forward to meeting you.

Bethgrd.

Angelos on the Hill

Has been reviewed in a couple of prior roadfood books. I've never been disappointed there.

http://www.angelosonthehill.com/

Andino's has a review by The Stern's  but I've never been there.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6853/andinos

bethgrd

• Total Posts: 320
          Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Wed, 03/10/10 7:50 AM (permalink)
          Dale, get yourself together!! jeez.
          How about May 22?
          Paul, so glad you are coming!!!
          beth

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Wed, 03/10/10 8:19 AM (permalink)
            bethgrd

Dale, get yourself together!! jeez.
            How about May 22?
            Paul, so glad you are coming!!!
            beth

Beth

I have start writing stuff down. My girlfriend reminded of a prior commitment for May 15. I'm usually good at remembering things but not a couple of months in advance. I actually went over several dates with her just to make sure that we didn't have anything planned so
            May 22 is it!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
              Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Wed, 03/10/10 9:28 AM (permalink)
              WJ, are there are buses/trains from NYC that you would recommend?  Would I come in to Providence?  I am so looking forward to this!

MiamiDon

Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Wed, 03/10/10 9:34 AM (permalink)
                I was hot to hit RI on the 15th.

Oh, well, maybe another year.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Wed, 03/10/10 9:42 AM (permalink)
                  billyboy

WJ, are there are buses/trains from NYC that you would recommend?  Would I come in to Providence?  I am so looking forward to this!

Billyboy

I just sent you a pm with some options.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Wed, 03/10/10 9:42 AM (permalink)
                    billyboy

Billyboy

I just sent you a pm with some options.

Ivyhouse

• Total Posts: 329
                      Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Wed, 03/10/10 9:49 AM (permalink)
                      May I join you?  I am still not sure if May 22 is ok for me, but I should know soon.

BTW, I grew up on coffee milk --  it was the only way my parents could get me to drink milk!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet Saturday May 15, 2010 Wed, 03/10/10 9:51 AM (permalink)
                        Ivyhouse

May I join you?  I am still not sure if May 22 is ok for me, but I should know soon.

BTW, I grew up on coffee milk --  it was the only way my parents could get me to drink milk!

Of course you can! I enjoyed meeting you in Buffalo this past September.

paulde

Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Wed, 03/10/10 10:37 AM (permalink)
                          The 22nd still works for me.  WJ are you close to Allie's Donuts in North Kingston?  Are they still good?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Wed, 03/10/10 10:48 AM (permalink)
                            paulde

The 22nd still works for me.  WJ are you close to Allie's Donuts in North Kingston?  Are they still good?

Paulde
                            Allies is still great. . In fact my office is bringing in a cake from Allies to celebrate our 70th anniversary. Unfortunately I won't be having any due to the severe damage that Chi Town Diner did to me on the last Charleston Glee Club trip. 

I'm only 6 miles away but it won't be anywhere near where we will be heading on the tour.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Wed, 03/10/10 9:28 PM (permalink)
                              Here's another option for Breakfast.

JP Spoonems in Cranston
                              http://quahog.org/cuisine/index.php?id=179

I've never been there but have heard great things about the place.
                              In fact since my birthday weekend is approaching I may splurge and check the place out .....Apparently they're known for Maple Johnnycakes

The good thing about JP Spoonems is that its only a mile away from the Johnson and Wales Culinary Arts Museum

After the museum we can go to Federal Hill for Lunch at either
                              Andino's or Angelos  after which we can wander around Federal Hill and perouse the Italian Delis and Bakerys. There's a great little pastry place called Pastiche
                              A stop there is a MUST for Italian pastries and cookies

http://pastichefinedesserts.com/
                              and then on to either Crugnale or DeFusco's Bakery for Pizza Strips and other Goodies

and finally to either Weinorama or Olneyville NY System for Hot Weiners.
                              <message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 03/11/10 9:43 AM>

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Thu, 03/11/10 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                Bump!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                  Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Thu, 03/11/10 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                  Happy birthday, WJ. Hope it was/is/will be a good one ( check the appropriate box. )

TnTinCT

Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Thu, 03/11/10 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                    Happy upcoming b-day weekend! We are still on the fence - have a nephew graduating basic training down at Fort Knox that is tentatively scheduled for that week. If that doesn't pan out we'll circle back around for what sounds like a great day in the lovely Ocean State!  Terri & Tim

Ivyhouse

Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Thu, 03/11/10 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                      My friend Terri and I will be there!

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                                        Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Thu, 03/11/10 6:10 PM (permalink)
                                        As far as I can see, I'm there!

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Sat, 03/13/10 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                          Carolina Bob

Thanks, my birthday is this Monday the big 4-5

Brickie

Looking forward to meeting you

TinTinCT

I really hope you both can make it . I enjoyed hanging out with you last year in Western Mass and in Buffalo this past fall.

I know we've got a couple of months but
                                          I haven't heard from others yet...
                                          Waltpiii? Wheregreggeats?, Ayersian?

Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
                                            Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Sat, 03/13/10 9:55 PM (permalink)
                                            I would like to join in.

waltpiii

Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Sun, 03/14/10 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                              I have put it on my calendar.

Thanks,

Walt

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Sun, 03/14/10 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                                Hot Dog King,

You are most certainly welcome to join in- I look forward to meeting you.

Walt, looking forward to seeing you and Denise. I think it's been almost a couple of years since I've seen you at the Boston meet up led by Cecif

I went to JP Spoonems today

The photo was taken with my cell phone- so not the greatest quality.

This is the Johnnycake Platter. The Jonnycakes are actually served on a ham steak with melted swiss  with home fries and fruit .
                                                This was good, and there seemed to be some really cool items on the menu and the place had  a great atmosphere and although the big advantage is that JP Spoonems is ridiculously close to the Johnson and Wales Culinary Museum, my vote for breakfast is still the Modern Diner in Pawtucket, not only for its history but for their amazing 2-3 dozen breakfast specials they have on their board every weekend.

jhk14

Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Tue, 03/16/10 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                                  I would very much like to join this if possible. I may be driving up from NYC and then could give people a lift. As the date approaches, I'll know whether or not that is the case and if so, figure out how to meet up.

ayersian

Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Sat, 03/20/10 4:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    WJ, Amy & I are in like flint!    Chris

j1ocean

• Total Posts: 1
                                                      • Location: Marstons Mills, MA
                                                      Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Mon, 03/29/10 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                                      Greetings from Cape Cod, MA!

Would love to join in on this meet and greet in Rhodes Island.  How do I get specific information on this event?

Pauline & John
                                                      Marstons Mills

Ivyhouse

• Location: Bethesda, MD
                                                        Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Mon, 03/29/10 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                                        My friend Terri is coming with me (her first Roadfood tour) and we are both really looking forward to this!  We already have our plane tickets and hotel rooms!

Foodosaurus

Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Mon, 03/29/10 1:43 PM (permalink)

I'd like to go, but I'll have to see if I'm available as the date gets a bit closer.  I've tried to get out to "Lil Rhody" for awhile now.  I'm looking forward to trying the NY System Wieners and Coffee Milk.

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                                                            • Location: sterling, CT
                                                            Re:Updated new date- Central Rhode Island Meet-n-Greet - May 22 Thu, 04/1/10 8:23 PM (permalink)
                                                            Do wieners float?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 87

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com