Certified CZECH's ???

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15233
2003/03/23 11:08:12 (permalink)

Certified CZECH's ???

OK, I haven't stuck my nose into this board yet, so I guess it is time. I am the desendant of a Czech family that came to the USA in 1912. They lived in the Czech communities in the Chicago area for a long time. When we visit some of our distant relatives up that way, much of the conversation drifts to Czech Food. My Mother is in her 90's now and no longer can labor in the kitchen for a full day to make some of the traditional dumplings and other dishes. I have zero language skills, even typing some of the names of dishes get my fingers tangled.
We have tried Czech places in Wilson Kansas, Wilbur Nebraska, and Tabor, South Dakota. In a Chicago suburb, the BOHEMEIAN CRYSTAL service a pretty good duck dinner, but some of my relatives say it isn't "Authentic". What do I know?? In roadtripping in Texas we visited Shiner TX, took the tour of the brewery, sucked down the three free samples of their fine products, and Mother spoke Czech to a bunch of folks. Czech is the 3rd largest Language group in TX after English and Spanish.
What I want from y'all are referrals for Czech food and festivals that you know of . we have visited many, and really had a good time, and ate very well. SO come on...dig thru those memories and give us the info on where to find the Kolache of your dreams.
AL

68 Replies Related Threads

sunsetoma
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/03/23 14:31:18 (permalink)
    I've moved to california but as i recall there is a great little restaurant
    in old enfield, ct. the lady immigrated here a few years ago and has quite an interesting story. She gave informal cooking clases. Makes the best breads (must make for restaurants) Very pretty and tasty breads. Great soups (if a homeless person or one who has little money..she gives bread and soup for free). The restaurant is in an urban renewal area. You might want to check this out if still there. I cant recall the name but the chamber of commerce should have it. It is just a very tiny place across from an historical abandoned factory. K. Hyatt
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/03/23 16:11:44 (permalink)
    For a good kolache, you can't beat[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=492']Weikel's[/url] in LaGrange, Texas; and for Czech ambience to the max, we still like [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=458']The Bohemian Cafe[/url] in Omaha:
    Dumplings and kraut today

At Bohemian Café!

Draft beer that’s sparkling, plenty of parking

See you at lunch, Okay?

lovemefood
    Junior Burger
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/03/23 19:01:49 (permalink)
    When I saw this thread, I knew I had to join the roadfood website.
    A year ago, my partner (who was born and raised in the Czech Republic) and I traveled to Colorado for the Independence Day holiday. After a hike in the Rockies, we decided to stop in this old mining town, Georgetown, right off the highway. The only cafe open: Cafe Prague. We had visited Prague the year before and have searched for as delicious food as we found in Prague. No place we've found back in the States compares to Cafe Prague. Absolutely authentic, old-school recipes for the dumplings, fabulous stews, the tastiest strudel. Perfection!
    There's an Eastern European restaurant in Ann Arbor and a Czech restaurant near Dover, New Jersey - but they just don't compare in authenticity.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/04/03 06:15:19 (permalink)
    A couple of additional places we have hit upon... In Cedar Rapids Iowa, the center of a large Czech-influenced area and home to the National Czech Museum and Library...there is a whole section of town that is full of Czech shoppes. Plenty of food that tasted great and interesting historical images of the Great Migration!
    Outside of New Prague,MN (south of the twin cities) there was/is a restuarant that specialized in tradional Czech dishes, Mother claimed the dill soup/gravy was as good as her mother ever made.
    Wilson,Kansas is an interesting stop off of I-70. A small farming community, It has a grocery/meat market that sells some of the best snacking cold sausages we have enjoyed on the road.
    On the down-side We tried the "Prague", on Hospitality Lane in San Bernardino CA and were sorely disappointed. Not cheap, and not authentic!(or even close).
    ksgirlinchi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/05/23 13:53:46 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor - my ex-husband is Czech and I live in the heart of the Czech neighborhood in Chicago (actually a very near south suburb, across the street from what is technically "chicago" - our Dumpling House on 41st and Harlem closed last year and is now a Mexican rest. - for authentic cuisine there are still a ton of good places; Little Europe on Ogden Ave in Brookfield IL, KLAS on 22nd street in Berwyn, and the Riverside Rest. on Harlem Ave just south of the tracks. Dumplings, gravy, kolach, the works....[:)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

OK, I haven't stuck my nose into this board yet, so I guess it is time. I am the desendant of a Czech family that came to the USA in 1912. They lived in the Czech communities in the Chicago area for a long time. When we visit some of our distant relatives up that way, much of the conversation drifts to Czech Food. My Mother is in her 90's now and no longer can labor in the kitchen for a full day to make some of the traditional dumplings and other dishes. I have zero language skills, even typing some of the names of dishes get my fingers tangled.
    We have tried Czech places in Wilson Kansas, Wilbur Nebraska, and Tabor, South Dakota. In a Chicago suburb, the BOHEMEIAN CRYSTAL service a pretty good duck dinner, but some of my relatives say it isn't 'Authentic'. What do I know?? In roadtripping in Texas we visited Shiner TX, took the tour of the brewery, sucked down the three free samples of their fine products, and Mother spoke Czech to a bunch of folks. Czech is the 3rd largest Language group in TX after English and Spanish.
    What I want from y'all are referrals for Czech food and festivals that you know of . we have visited many, and really had a good time, and ate very well. SO come on...dig thru those memories and give us the info on where to find the Kolache of your dreams.
    AL
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/05/23 14:05:03 (permalink)
    I had forgotton about this topic...Thanks for the Chicago tips! My mother grew up in the Cicero/Berwyn area and danced with the Chicago Ballet back in the late 1920's. It was, indeed, a Czech neighborhood then.
    yorkie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/07/05 16:07:26 (permalink)
    Hello friends.....I love to correspond with friends " I am a czech and Wish to start to correspond with some new friends from anywhere.....please write soon
    yorkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/07/05 16:10:33 (permalink)
    Oh I forgot to tell to you that I can write ion Czech and English language..I am 44 years female and any e/mails are very welcome. And at a future we can to correspond by air mail too.
    I live in a small town near from Prague....F+M friends of any age !!!
    yorkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/07/05 16:14:29 (permalink)
    Sorry I had to write to my profile AZ because there it is no possibility to write that I am from Czech.....Dana
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/07/07 01:07:52 (permalink)
    Hi Yorkie:

Is it possible that we can bypass the airmail stage and correspond using telepathy?

I used to eat at a Czech restaurant on the Upper East Side of Manhattan called Vasata. They have since closed. They had the most wonderful spongey dumplings there, not unlike a South Indian iddly, but chewier.

What part of Arizona did you say you were from? If I met you in a restaurant, would I get to pick up the Czech?

What does Paulina Poriskova eat on a typical day, and do you resemble her at all?

What roadfood joints does Vaclav Havel frequent?

Do you happen to know if Alexander Dubcek ever tasted a Prague springroll?

That's all for now, I hope we can continue another day.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/07/07 09:46:14 (permalink)
    Mayor....I've eaten at the Bohemian Crystal several times and went to a wedding reception there as well. The food is excellant, filling....well lets say stuffed is a better word! The wedding featured incredible pasteries instead of the usual wedding cake. I believe it is in Westmont, Ill near Ogden Ave.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/07/07 10:53:02 (permalink)
    Here is a link to a Czech place that someone recommended to me: http://www.czechamericanii.com/

You are right about the Czech community in Texas. My nephew married a young lady of Czech descent a few years ago, and I tell you what, I have never seen a wedding reception like that before! Heaps and heaps of food, and more beer than I have ever seen in my life.

The entire reception had to take part in a dance called the "Grand March" which went on forever, as did the reception.

A fine time was had by all, but PLEASE Make the Polka music stop already!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2003/07/07 12:17:03 (permalink)
    Lone Star- I agree about the Music...Nothing like a polka with a Texas "Line Dance" beat...Or maybe some Country stuff with trumpets and tuba's thrown in to give it some " Ommp-ahhh"
    Tabor, S D just had their Czech Festival last week. It is a small (500 at most) farming community. One gas station, no traffic light etc but they used Tanker trucks for the brew and over 10,000 attended. Some folks just know how to throw a party ! Wish we could have made it this year.
    Yorkie- if you are for real about wanting to correspond with folks from this group, please put your email address on the board Then people can write to you directly without using space here.
    YaDaYaDa
    Junior Burger
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2004/03/09 22:13:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yorkie

Hello friends.....I love to correspond with friends " I am a czech and Wish to start to correspond with some new friends from anywhere.....please write soon
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2004/03/10 08:00:33 (permalink)
    quote:

We have tried Czech places in Wilson Kansas, Wilbur Nebraska, and Tabor, South Dakota. In a Chicago suburb, the BOHEMEIAN CRYSTAL service a pretty good duck dinner, but some of my relatives say it isn't "Authentic". What do I know?? In roadtripping in Texas we visited Shiner TX, took the tour of the brewery, sucked down the three free samples of their fine products, and Mother spoke Czech to a bunch of folks. Czech is the 3rd largest Language group in TX after English and Spanish.
    AL

I once came across a CD of Czech/Bohemian music, Texas-style. Still kicking myself for not having bought it ...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2004/03/10 09:28:16 (permalink)
    There's a guy on ebay who sells a lot of Czech/Slovak/Polish stuff including music cd's and travel books. You might want to check out his "Slovak Store" by doing an ebay search.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2004/03/10 12:25:22 (permalink)
    In NYC there used to be(it might still be there)on the upper west side, a restaurant called 'Czechoslovic Praha' that had Pilsner Urqualt on draught and served some of the best duck and goose you could imagine......there also used to be a small Czech community on the lower east side that had quite a few local joints w/ marvelous food
    czechmate
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/11 02:55:32 (permalink)
    Texas has to be the place for festivals and authentic food. First must stop is WestFest in West,TX (held every labor day weekend). Second stop is the city of New Braunfels,TX for Wurstfest in early november each year (Stop at Oma's Haus for a great meal).
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/11 08:42:19 (permalink)

CzechMate,

We purchased a couple of Tee Shirts in one of the Czech Communities in Texas a couple of years ago...It was either West or Temple, I can't remember which. Anyway, when I saw your Roadfood Name I thought you should see your name in graphics! Janet's Shirt does say "Czech Mate" although she is hiding 'part' of it!!! We really enjoy roadtripping our heritage and family tree activities.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/11 10:34:54 (permalink)
    Al and Janet----LOVE the shirts!
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/11 12:29:58 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, that is some pretty impressive table muscle you are sportin'! A man after my own heart (and waistline).
    cyrano
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/11 17:59:30 (permalink)
    Go back to Shiner, find Patek's grocery store, which I think is on hwy 90A through town-- best way to find it is to look for the spire of the Catholic church (which is a marvel in itself, esp. inside), load up on their sausage, particularly the classic pork and beef mixture. I was raised on that sausage as my family took 90A from Houston to Nixon to see my grandparents, and it is the best I have ever had. It's not cooked, so you have to get or bring an ice chest and buy a bag of ice, take it somewhere and cook it, but it is simply superior. They have a variety of other sausages that are good to very good, particularly venison in season, but "Shiner sausage" was a code word for fine eating since well before Shiner beer was anything besides lawnmower beer. The Moyers used to serve it at Round Top Cafe-- I don't know if they still do-- and one or two upscale grocery stores in Houston have carried it over the years, but the Pateks don't make a lot, so you rarely see it outside Shiner.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/11 18:44:56 (permalink)
    quote:

CzechMate,

We purchased a couple of Tee Shirts in one of the Czech Communities in Texas a couple of years ago...It was either West or Temple, I can't remember which. Anyway, when I saw your Roadfood Name I thought you should see your name in graphics! Janet's Shirt does say "Czech Mate" although she is hiding 'part' of it!!! We really enjoy roadtripping our heritage and family tree activities.

Well, if you ever divorce her, I guess she'll be a canceled Czech. BAH DA BUMP
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/11 18:45:42 (permalink)
    I love that picture Mr. Mayor!!! Did they have any t-shirts like that for Slovaks? I guess the wording wouldn't be that catchy though!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/11 20:18:06 (permalink)
    My Mom had a nice Sweatshirt that had a similiar graphic proclaiming her a "Certified Czech" !
    Don't know if the Slovak's enjoy the same 'play on words'. I tend to doubt it!
    We have really enjoyed our visits to Shiner, and the other Czech towns in Texas. we were suprised by "WEST", seeing it for the first time as we drove up I-35. We got off the highway at the Czech bakery and truck stop...but went into town and wandered the gift shop, the meat market and had a chance to watch a few trains tear thru the center of town as we waited. It was neat to hear many folks speaking Czech and see the way the stores had the Czech motiff in their window decorations.
    Wilbur Nebraska and Wilson Kansas do much the same. The one I enjoy most outside of Texas is Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I commented in one of my other posts here about it. If you like Czech 'stuff' plan on a visit there sometime, It makes for a good excuse to get away from I-80 for awhile !
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/05/12 08:22:36 (permalink)
    While I don't see anything in Texas listed, the Czech Embasy in Washington DC has a directory here.....
    http://www.mzv.cz/washington/general/restaurants.htm

BTW, my name Kozel is a brand of beer from the Czech Republic, see it here......
    http://www.beer-kozel.cz/

and kozel translates to billy-goat hense the beer's mascot.
    germancook
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/08/03 20:14:22 (permalink)

Is there a Czech restaurant in Wilson,Kansas? Is there still the grocery store there,somebody mentioned? We travel often on I-70 and stop in Lindsboerg. We would like to try Czech food.Thank you.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/08/03 20:29:29 (permalink)
    There is a nice old country grocery in Wilson, with a lot of locally made sausage in the meat counter!! There is also a small gift shop on the main street that stocks the 'heritage' Tee Shirts like those we are wearing in the photo. I don't recall seeing it, but the first Stern's edition of ROADFOOD had a listing for Herbel's Cafe on Main Street.(Doesn't show in the current phone yellow pages)
    Also...and I have no personal stock in this one!!
    Al's Grill
    2419 Avenue E , PO Box 386
    Wilson, KS 67490
    Main Phone: 785-658-3363

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? 2005/08/03 20:41:12 (permalink)
    quote:

CzechMate,

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1