Cerviche the next huge food trend

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2009/10/08 17:27:19 (permalink)

Cerviche the next huge food trend

Read in the Washington Post Food section yesterday, Cerviche, which I adore, is going to be the next Sushi type craze, led by Peruvian Restaurants. Although most all Mexican Restaurants serve it, It's a dish taken to new levels by Peruvian Restaurants, evidentally...I've never been to a Peruvian Restaurant, anyone here ever try one?

21 Replies Related Threads

rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1036
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/08 17:42:00 (permalink)
    Haven't been there for a while, but El Chalan in Washington, DC (it's on Eye Street, near Foggy Bottom and GWU) was very good the last time I ate there.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/08 17:59:07 (permalink)
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/08 21:14:09 (permalink)
    Different latin cultures make a different variation on  it. We have many Peruvian restaurants here, but I've never been to one and tried their version. The Ceviche I've made for years, I'm not sure if it's really Cuban or not, but it's made much like my daughter's great grandmother made it. Nothing more then calimari rings,tilapia cut up into small squares,or shrimp. Whatever I have or that's on sale, but most often just a 2 1/2 lb of frozen calimari thawed and cut up into rings. I'll slice up some red onion and cut up the rings, thinly sliced green pepper strips,S&P, some sprigs of fresh Cilantro chopped up if I have it although not in the original. Some oil, Lime or key lime juice, and maybe a little sugar.  I've been adding bottled Italian dressing instead of the oil,S&P,& sugar the last few years. That was a tip that I got from a restaurant employee that does seem to segue the flow of the flavors better primarly from the vinegar,oregano and the garlic I think. It's very easy to do, but for some people it's an acquired taste.

Another marinated fish dish that seems to be catching on in Latin fusion dining is Escabeche which is sort of a pre-cooked and picked fish steak like Mackerel or Kingfish. It too has some very different regional variations and interpretation by some of these celebrity noveau fusion chefs. Great eats if you're used to it.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/08 22:48:30 (permalink)
    There were a couple of restaurants specializing in ceviche in the Los Angeles area over 10 years ago.  

I loved it but I guess not enough others did and it closed.

Our Peruvian restaurant chain is called Pollo El Inca.  Of course it's all about chicken.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/08 23:18:23 (permalink)
    Most of the Mexican restaurants in Dallas serve ceviche. The trouble is, other than shrimp, the rest of the dish is composed of tilapia and catfish. YUK!!!
    I'd rather select the Mexican shrimp cocktail. A huge glass of shrimp in a piquant cocktail sauce with loads of avocado and seasoned with white onion, cilantro and lime. YUM!!!
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/11 00:32:01 (permalink)
    I love ceviche, though I tend to have it at home rather than in restaurants. Tilapia goes well in it, and I also like scallops and shrimp. I sometimes add avocado, and I enjoy a little grapefruit juice mixed in with the lemon/lime juice.

There's a good Peruvian restaurant in Milwaukee: El Tondero (2462 S. 13th St.). Chicago has several Peruvian places, but it's been years since I've been to one of them.

Ecuadorian ceviches are also delicious, but there are no Ecuadorian restaurants in Milwaukee. Chicago has a couple, and though they're good, they're pretty basic.

I wonder if any of the Peruvian/Ecuadorian/Andean restaurants in the U.S. sell guinea pig!

post edited by quijote - 2009/10/11 00:37:50
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1846
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/11 08:46:32 (permalink)
    Scallop ceviche is absolutely spectacular.
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/11 10:11:50 (permalink)
    We always ate pickled raw fish for many years in Wisconsin.  Here is a web site to a commercial company that makes it....

http://www.mabaensch.com/

Cant find the stuff here in NC.  That along with Merkts or Old Fashion Cheese spread....Not the cheese whiz tasiting stuff  they call Pimento spread here....
    http://www.merkts.com/mk/.../HomeHome?OpenDocument

http://www.merchantcircle...ed.Cheese.920-387-4444

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/11 17:28:10 (permalink)
    I like Talapia, and Shrimp, Lime juice to cover, maybe a little lemon and a dash of orange juice, red onions, cilantro, my only problem is length of the marinade, I usually do it for at least 12 hours, I think I'm overcooking it, any suggestions?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18362
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/11 19:32:13 (permalink)
    As I recall, ceviche was the next huge food trend in the '60s.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/11 22:07:16 (permalink)
    Ceviche will never be a food trend! It is a classic dish served for generations in the Southern Americas. I don't see this as a trend so much as an awareness of the North American people eating more ethnic foods over all. We have been taking hints from South American cuisine for the last several years.
     I personally don't care for raw fish in any form even though I used to be a sushi chef. I can't see the appeal in eating raw meat in any form. There has to be some "cooked" flavor in the food that I make at home.
      As a professional cook. I will make anything that is ordered as long as it is sanctioned by the Health Department.

JMHO

David O.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/11 22:35:42 (permalink)
    boyardee65
    I personally don't care for raw fish in any form even though I used to be a sushi chef. I can't see the appeal in eating raw meat in any form. There has to be some "cooked" flavor in the food that I make at home.

JMHO

David O.
    You're a good man, Charlie Brown! I've eaten some Ecuadorian ceviche, as a guest whose hostess had made it and was standing beside me. It was fine. (She was a drop-dead gorgeous Ecuadorian and I'd have eaten skunk meat if she'd put it before me!) The fact remains that I just plain prefer food cooked, cooked with fire. I think it tastes better. I was afraid I was all alone out here, so thanks for your post!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 11:32:31 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Now that I think about it, it was many a time everyone smoked dope, got the munchies, then went on a futile Cerviche search to the Waffle House!

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 11:49:35 (permalink)
    boyardee65

Ceviche will never be a food trend! It is a classic dish served for generations in the Southern Americas. I don't see this as a trend so much as an awareness of the North American people eating more ethnic foods over all. We have been taking hints from South American cuisine for the last several years.
    As a professional cook. I will make anything that is ordered as long as it is sanctioned by the Health Department.

JMHO

David O.

I can understand how one would not like raw fish or beef. Alot op people just can't get over the raw thing. Ceviche, Sushi, Sashimi, and Raw Steak are my fovorite. My Son and I are the only ones in my family that like it this way. Raw Tuna and Salmon might be my favorite thing to eat. I hope Ceviche becomes popular...Russ
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 12:37:53 (permalink)
    I see this thread was started 23 months ago.... I live in a major city and can say, they trend has yet to begin!
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 12:39:20 (permalink)
    oops my bad, I see the thread was recently started .. I was looking at the members "joined" date.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 12:48:36 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Now that I think about it, it was many a time everyone smoked dope, got the munchies, then went on a futile Cerviche search to the Waffle House!

NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 13:23:47 (permalink)
    Ok, not to take this conversation off track here (although I am laughing my a** off at some of the comments)  Does anybody remember the German tradition where you spread raw lean ground beef on a small piece of pumpernickel rye bread and top it with raw onions, salt and pepper?  My brother and I when younger would refer to them as "cannibal sandwiches."  They were so popular in the Milwaukee area that I remember seeing a news report there where the health department stepped up inspections during the holidays knowing full well that many people ate this around that area.  I must say, I enjoyed them very much.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 17:14:31 (permalink)
    NC Cheesehead

Ok, not to take this conversation off track here (although I am laughing my a** off at some of the comments)  Does anybody remember the German tradition where you spread raw lean ground beef on a small piece of pumpernickel rye bread and top it with raw onions, salt and pepper?  My brother and I when younger would refer to them as "cannibal sandwiches."  They were so popular in the Milwaukee area that I remember seeing a news report there where the health department stepped up inspections during the holidays knowing full well that many people ate this around that area.  I must say, I enjoyed them very much.

Sounds like Steak Tartare, which I love, and is still widely available at many upscale Restautants!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18362
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 17:24:34 (permalink)
    NC Cheesehead

I've been eating cannibal sandwiches since I was little. My father used to make them. But he'd mix chopped onions in with the meat, along with salt and pepper. And he'd put it on good old white bread -- Bond Bread for anyone old enough to remember. I put mine on Wonder Bread now.
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Cerviche the next huge food trend 2009/10/12 17:50:55 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

NC Cheesehead

Sounds like Steak Tartare, which I love, and is still widely available at many upscale Restautants!

Interesting because I only have heard the "Steak Tartare" name within the last 5 years or so.  In my German family as growing up, we never called it much more than "raw beef on rye."  Go figure.  We never figured it to be an "upscale" dish.  We always thought of of it as "peasant food" that blue collar workers would eat during the holidays.  My mom would always go to a high end butcher and "splurge" a bit more to make sure the beef was as fresh and lean as could be.  

Mr Hoffman,

Never did it on white....not to say I would never try.  Usually, it was on some kind of Rye based bread. 

But the rare burger I had the other day was quite close to what you are talking about.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1