Hot!Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 566
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/24 14:25:34 (permalink)

Dale

That Fillipou's location that you linked above is owned by Steve Fillipou,.  He is the son of the owner's of the original location, which is on Ten Rod Rd. (Route 102) in North Kingstown.   It's interesting that Steve Fillipou's website lists his 2 locations in East Greenwich and Exeter, but it doesn't list the "parent" location in NK.   Family feud, perhaps.   Anyway, the location I went to as a youngster was the NK "parent" location.  I have also tried Steve Fillipou's location in recent years, but have not tried anything there other than pizza.   I might have to give the calzones a try. 

I'll let you know as soon as we nail down a date to go there.  It would be great if you could round up Mike (or any others) to come along.  The more the merrier!  

Glenn

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4089
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/24 19:29:03 (permalink)
Glenn1234

We're amazed by the rot-gut that passes for pizza in NoVA.  The problem around our area is that we can't even trust word-of-mouth suggestions for pizza places around here.  We first have to ask where the person was originally from.  If the person grew up in the DC area, they generally don't have a clue as to what good pizza is.  Many think that "piled high toppings" make a good pizza. ...  "Oh, the crust doesn't matter as long as it's piled with extra cheese and lots of toppings".      Um, .. no, thanks.   

I agree.  Most NoVa pizza is the Blodgett Oven/ Greek take on 'New York Style' pizza.  Ledo's is a nice exception to that, but they are Greeks as well!  Nothing the matter with that because I always liked the Greek/Italian Red Sauce joints, like The Atlantis in Alex which is still one of my favorite lunch places. 

Have you tried Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church or Pete's Apizza in Clarendon?  Along with 2Amys in Cleveland Park and Pizza Paradisio @ Dupont Circle they are as closest to CT I have found in Metro DC. 

The Tramonte's make a good Broadway/NYC pie at their The Italian Store in Lyon's Village and I'd like to try Lost Dog Cafe's pizza (Washington BV in West Arlington); everything else they make is delightful.

--------------------

A little off-topic, but my three 'musts' in every trip back to NoVa are Mario's (BBQ slice, Pep slice, and a Ham Steak & Cheese), Weenie Beenie (NC 'Cue sammy & Mountain Dew), and Metro 29 Diner (Fried Shrimp Dinner). 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/06/24 19:35:58
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/24 19:53:20 (permalink)

MetroplexJim - 

Pete's Apizza is one of the few edible choices around here.  A decent choice. They try hard to be like the New Haven joints, but aren't quite in the same league.  They have become a local chain with a handful of locations.  From out here in Herndon, it's a bit of a pain in the butt to go there with traffic, parking, etc., ... but we have been there a half-dozen times.   

Regarding small chains  ..... We keep our boat in the upper Chesapeake, so we get up there fairly often.  Some times when we're up there, we go the 30-45 minutes extra distance up to northern Delaware.  When there, we hit Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza,... which might be the best we've had outside of the New Haven area. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/06/24 19:57:16
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/24 20:01:39 (permalink)
Happily, Anthony's has several locations in Pgh.  I'll try them next visit there. 

And, they seem to be expanding quickly, so DFW has to be a target market.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/24 21:00:38 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Happily, Anthony's has several locations in Pgh.  I'll try them next visit there. 

One word of caution on Anthony's. ...  It's definitely a "eat it there" pizza.  It does not do well "to go", and is very soft when cold.  It might be okay if you re-heat it, but it is no matcb for eating it there.  I have it as all 3 ways:  1.  There. (Great!)   2.  Re-heated  (Okay)  3.  Cold   (Soft ... Not good). 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/06/24 21:06:27
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2632
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/24 21:03:07 (permalink)
Ok, before I start tossing SPAM flags, we need to get something clear. This is the thread for crappy pizza. Get your good pizza out of this Chain Forum and put it over in the Pizza Forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6821
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/24 21:13:31 (permalink)
Mine is GONE.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/24 21:30:15 (permalink)
lleechef

Mine is GONE.

I wasn't really serious.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 09:44:45 (permalink)
Glenn1234

MetroplexJim

One word of caution on Anthony's. ...  It's definitely a "eat it there" pizza.  It does not do well "to go", and is very soft when cold.  It might be okay if you re-heat it, but it is no matcb for eating it there.  I have it as all 3 ways:  1.  There. (Great!)   2.  Re-heated  (Okay)  3.  Cold   (Soft ... Not good). 

Glenn

Point well taken.  The same is true of our local Grimaldi's in Allen, TX:  it is absolutely CRAPPY when cold; re-heated it is barely edible.  The same is true of another of my faves:  Mario's in Arlington, VA.  It absolutely must be eaten fresh and hot on the spot.  It does not travel well at all.  I ordered a delivery of it just once.  When it arrrived luke warm it was truly CRAPPY.

Which brings me to a thought question:  what is it about CRAPPY pizza that allows it to travel so well, i.e., their pies are not more CRAPPY when they finally arrive.  Domino's and Papa John's seem to have that down to a science which, I guess, explains their $ucce$$. 

Truth is, if I had to have a pizza delivered I'd choose Papa John's over Grimaldi's.  BTW:  the best  least CRAPPY delivery pizza I ever had was from a local DC chain:  Pizza Boli's.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 10:50:16 (permalink)
JRPfeff

lleechef

Mine is GONE.

I wasn't really serious.

But you point is well-taken.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 12:04:27 (permalink)
MetroplexJim 
The Atlantis in Alex which is still one of my favorite lunch places.  

When my wife and I first moved to NOVA (1987) we rented an apartment from her parents in Alexandria, close to the Bradlee shopping center where Atlantis was located. Atlantis was one of my late Father-in-law's favorite restaurants. Consequently, we ate there a lot! Nowadays, we eat at a place in Herndon, Mediterranean Breeze that is very similar to Atlantis.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 12:18:50 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Glenn1234

MetroplexJim

Glenn

Point well taken.  The same is true of our local Grimaldi's in Allen, TX:  it is absolutely CRAPPY when cold; re-heated it is barely edible.  The same is true of another of my faves:  Mario's in Arlington, VA.  It absolutely must be eaten fresh and hot on the spot.  It does not travel well at all.  I ordered a delivery of it just once.  When it arrrived luke warm it was truly CRAPPY.

Which brings me to a thought question:  what is it about CRAPPY pizza that allows it to travel so well, i.e., their pies are not more CRAPPY when they finally arrive.  Domino's and Papa John's seem to have that down to a science which, I guess, explains their $ucce$$. 

Truth is, if I had to have a pizza delivered I'd choose Papa John's over Grimaldi's.  BTW:  the best  least CRAPPY delivery pizza I ever had was from a local DC chain:  Pizza Boli's.

Zuppardi's in West Haven, CT is my pick for a great pizza that is both great there, and great "to go" or cold.  We seem to hit up Zuppardi's once or twice a year on our way up to and back from trips to see family in New England. 

Glenn

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 12:24:53 (permalink)
Davebassman

MetroplexJim 

When my wife and I first moved to NOVA (1987) we rented an apartment from her parents in Alexandria, close to the Bradlee shopping center where Atlantis was located. Atlantis was one of my late Father-in-law's favorite restaurants. Consequently, we ate there a lot! Nowadays, we eat at a place in Herndon, Mediterranean Breeze that is very similar to Atlantis.

Do you live in the Herndon area?  We live only a few miles form Mediterranean Breeze.  I can't recall if we have been to it in its current iteration as Mediterranean Breeze.  We have definitely been to it before it changed names, and was called Sylvana's.  We thought the dinners were pretty good, but didn't like the pizza at all.   

Glenn

harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 12:30:49 (permalink)
Most pizza chains are crappy, I can tell ya, but I haven't eaten at a Pizza Hut or a Domino's or a Papa John's in at least a good 20 years. So I don't know how crappy they'd be now. I've never had a Little Caesar's. There are Bertucci's all over the East Coast, but I haven't been in a long time. I don't have any desire to go, though they're nearby.

I can't really say much about pizza chains from my youth, because I didn't like pizza until I was well into my teens, and in Philadelphia, there was a pizza "store" anyplace you looked.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 12:50:05 (permalink)
Davebassman

MetroplexJim 

The Atlantis is still in the Bradlee Center; they moved to larger premises on the other end of the center.  Good stuff! 

Do you ever go to the Diner Deluxe on Elden?  IMHO is is the second best diner in the region (behind only the magnificent Metro 29) and sure beats the pants off the Silver Diner(s).
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 13:40:51 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Do you ever go to the Diner Deluxe on Elden?  IMHO is is the second best diner in the region (behind only the magnificent Metro 29) and sure beats the pants off the Silver Diner(s).

Yes, I go to the Diner Deluxe at least 3-4 times a year, almost walking distance from my house. It's the Herndon location of the Amphora Diner, a landmark in Vienna (VA). Used to go there when I lived in Oakton back in the 90's.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 13:42:08 (permalink)
Glenn1234

Dale

That Fillipou's location that you linked above is owned by Steve Fillipou,.  He is the son of the owner's of the original location, which is on Ten Rod Rd. (Route 102) in North Kingstown.   It's interesting that Steve Fillipou's website lists his 2 locations in East Greenwich and Exeter, but it doesn't list the "parent" location in NK.   Family feud, perhaps.   Anyway, the location I went to as a youngster was the NK "parent" location.  I have also tried Steve Fillipou's location in recent years, but have not tried anything there other than pizza.   I might have to give the calzones a try. 

I'll let you know as soon as we nail down a date to go there.  It would be great if you could round up Mike (or any others) to come along.  The more the merrier!  

Glenn

Glenn

Not being a local I didn't know the history behind Fillipou's.  As you probably know Mike is heavily involved with an 18 month old toddler so it will be toughto break those apron string unless the whole family comes along. Looking forward to hearing from you.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 13:44:03 (permalink)
harriet1954

I can't really say much about pizza chains from my youth, because I didn't like pizza until I was well into my teens, and in Philadelphia, there was a pizza "store" anyplace you looked.

Is that what they called them in Philly? On Long Island it was always a "pizza place"
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 13:51:35 (permalink)
Glenn1234
Do you live in the Herndon area?  We live only a few miles form Mediterranean Breeze.  I can't recall if we have been to it in its current iteration as Mediterranean Breeze.  We have definitely been to it before it changed names, and was called Sylvana's.  We thought the dinners were pretty good, but didn't like the pizza at all.   
Glenn

Yes, I live in "Old Town" Herndon, just a couple of blocks from my favorite Herndon eatery, Jimmy's Old Town Tavern! http://www.jimmystavern.com/
We used to eat often at Sylvana's. When it went out of business, it was re-opened as the "Breeze" by the former head cook at Sylvana's. I usually order the pizza there and it has improved since the Sylvana's days. However, it seems to be hit or miss, some times the pizza is excellent, sometimes just "so-so". My son loves the Breeze. In fact we will probably go there for dinner sometime this week to celebrate his birthday.

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 14:14:00 (permalink)
wanderingjew

harriet1954

Is that what they called them in Philly? On Long Island it was always a "pizza place"

Depended on the neighborhood you were in. I called it either one. Also, I don't ever remember saying "pizzeria". I wonder who actually says that, or where they live. I know that in the more urban areas here in Jersey, like Camden, a Chinese restaurant (take-out only, I'm sure) is referred to as "the Chinese store".

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 15:08:57 (permalink)
Davebassman

Glenn1234
Glenn

Yes, I live in "Old Town" Herndon, just a couple of blocks from my favorite Herndon eatery, Jimmy's Old Town Tavern! http://www.jimmystavern.com/
We used to eat often at Sylvana's. When it went out of business, it was re-opened as the "Breeze" by the former head cook at Sylvana's. I usually order the pizza there and it has improved since the Sylvana's days. However, it seems to be hit or miss, some times the pizza is excellent, sometimes just "so-so". My son loves the Breeze. In fact we will probably go there for dinner sometime this week to celebrate his birthday.

Wow!  You're practically a neighbor.  We're north of the town, off the northern end of Dranesville Rd. 
    We'll have to give Jimmy's another try.  We've had so-so luck there, and downright bad luck at the (Amphora) Diner Deluxe multiple times.  Haven't been back to Diner Deluxe in years.  Several people say they like it, so we kept trying it, and finally gave up.  Maybe we're ordering the wrong things.  I really do WANT to like it, as it is conveniently close by.  What menu items do you suggest?
Thanks.

Glenn

Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 15:22:09 (permalink)
Glenn, If you go to Jimmy's, go on Sat. evenings (early) for the prime rib special. Jimmy's had quite a bit of turnover with their kitchen staff in recent years, but seem to have gotten a handle on it recently. Wings are excellent and when I go, I usually order the Buffalo Platter ( 5 wings, beef on weck and choice of either fries or pirogues & kielbasa). Their cheese steaks aren't bad, but IMHO they mince the meat too fine and don't offer cheese whiz...
I have had so-so experiences with Diner Deluxe (Amphora), but still a good place to go late night. I usually order a steak sub or reuben. I've experienced more problems there with the service than the food itself.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/06/25 18:35:16 (permalink)
Davebassman

Glenn, If you go to Jimmy's, go on Sat. evenings (early) for the prime rib special. Jimmy's had quite a bit of turnover with their kitchen staff in recent years, but seem to have gotten a handle on it recently. Wings are excellent and when I go, I usually order the Buffalo Platter ( 5 wings, beef on weck and choice of either fries or pirogues & kielbasa). Their cheese steaks aren't bad, but IMHO they mince the meat too fine and don't offer cheese whiz...
I have had so-so experiences with Diner Deluxe (Amphora), but still a good place to go late night. I usually order a steak sub or reuben. I've experienced more problems there with the service than the food itself.

Might give the Pirogues and Kielbasa a try at Jimmy's.  I generally don't order prime rib, as it is customarily served bloody rare, and I'm a well-done fan.   I'll give the reuben a try at Diner Deluxe.  So far, the best Reuben I've had in the area is at "Chutzpah" in Fairfax.   Definitely worth the drive from Herndon. 

Much thanks!

Glenn

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1050
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/03 14:22:53 (permalink)
The first "chain pizza" I ever had in Indianapolis in the early 1960s was: Chicken Delight!  This was a frequent Sunday night "supper" at my house, although I usually had fried chicken and my brother fried shrimp or fish.  My parents invariably got a "round the world" pizza without anchovies.  In retrospect, the crust was terrible, but the toppings weren't bad, and it improved somewhat on reheating. 

Later, a Giovanni's pizza take out opened near our house, and that was my first encounter with fennel seeds on pizza. The pizza wasn't bad.  An independent mom-and-pop place later opened up not too far away, called Meo's, with terrific wood-fired pizza. Both are long gone.  We never went to Pizza Hut or the like. My dad, who worked at Eli Lilly, once brought home a pizza from the Milano Inn, which was an entirely different experience, and a revelation for me.
http://milanoinn.com/about-milano-inn/

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/03 15:56:40 (permalink)
I grew up in Tulare Calif during the 50's thru the 60's and cannot recall having a single slice of pizza growing up. I just looked through the 1958 yellow pages of which I have a copy and there is exactly one listing for pizza and that is in the neighboring town of Visalia. Later on there was a Shakey's and small chain called Me&Eds. I don't think I even knew what pizza was back then.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/03 16:11:37 (permalink)
I was checking out the menu for the Milano Inn and found an interesting item -- Tortellini en brodo. I was sort of surprised to see this classic Italian dish of tortellini in a broth described as "Prosciutto sauteed with Garlic, Peas, Crushed Red Pepper, White Wine, Cream and Parmesan tossed with Cheese Tortellini."

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/06 09:03:40 (permalink)
During the early 80's, Domino's Pizza was actually quite good for a chain. Their dough was quite good, with a specialty mix of flour that was made chewy with gluten; and their sauce was full of oregano and a bit spicy.  Cooked in the traditional gas ovens and with the pizzas hand spun, the ending result was memorable.  The toppings were always fresh, and although they never used real pepperoni (they still don't - it is labeled "sausage for pizza"), the results were quite good. Around 1982 three things happened.  Some people complained their sauce was "too spicy" and their dough was "too chewy".  Around the same time the cursed chain ovens were brought in and all went to hell.  The focus was now on making "speed pizzas" vs. "quality pizzas".  In my opinion, they have never regained quality at all.  It was around this time I left the Domino's corporate management team.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/06 10:37:40 (permalink)

It has always struck me as odd that two of the top 3 chains started in SE Michigan. The one served pizzas that were sometimes good, the other served pizzas that were always atrocious. I found the graphic in this article.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/15 18:29:50 (permalink)
Recollections of pizza from the mid to late space age (1960s - 1970s):

In Dayton, Ohio, the dominant pizza chain was Cassano's with a softened-up ethnic Italian schtick. (IE, it was billed as Italian but the "foreignness" was de-emphasized in order to not alienate the very conservative locals in the region.)

Cassano's had thin, salty crust baked at extreme heat to cause the crust to blister under the sauce, and an extremely fragrant and herby pepperoni that I have not eaten since those days that cupped under the heat of baking.

The packaging for carry out back then was VERY different from today. No boxes. Cassano's used printed white bags that the pizza guys tented up in a kind of carrying handle, which they stapled shut.

Also, Pizza Inn as mentioned in this thread was a big chain back then. Their forte' through the late 70s was an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet that made today's Cece's taste like swill.

When Domino's came into the Ohio market in the late 70s, I thought it was basically a wheel of mediocre bread, sauce and cheese. I absolutely did not get the appeal.

Since those days, Cassano's quality has declined to a pro forma minimum standard. Good enough to keep the doors open, but about as good as a quality frozen pizza, truthfully.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
Re:Chain pizza - what was it like during the Space Age? 2014/07/16 16:11:54 (permalink)
All you folks who can eat REAL pizza, instead of chain pizza, and therefore know what real pizza tastes like, count yourself blessed. I would have to denounce my 100% Italian heritage if I ever darkened the door of a chain. Yes, I am blessed with living in the Nj, Ny, Conn, area and have tons of pizza places to choose from. I take a sadness from this thread that there are people who have to use pizza and the likes of "pizza hut" in the same breath. If you ever come to NJ, let me know...we can do a pizza tour of DOZENS of superb pizzerias in my town alone...think...never having to eat imitation pizza again!!!!!!!!!!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1