Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/09 01:21:47 (permalink)
Skipper's
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/10 22:23:48 (permalink)

I live in a wealthy city in China called Hangzhou, which is about 200 miles south of Shanghai.

In Hangzhou, Shanghai and other cities, Pizza Huts have opened. I have met no foreigner (including myself) who likes Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut's pizzas are greasy, have no taste whatsoever, and expensive. My colon has suffered mightily from eating there. I do like the salad bar and the onion rings (because this is the only place in China that sells them). For the price that one pays at Pizza Hut, one could have a fantastic Chinese meal with wine.

The Chinese love it, and most every night there is a line of people outside their door waiting to get in. Pizza Hut makes their waitstaff wear seasonal costumes, including Halloween and Christmas, two holidays that the Chinese really don't understand or widely celebrate. Pizza Hut has been imitated by several other companies, who more or less make a knock off version of the same crap the Hut dishes out.

Hangzhou has KFC, McDonalds, and Pizza Hut. Shanghai has all that Hangzhou has, plus Subway sandwiches and Papa John'spizza. Burger King is being test marketed in Shanghai and I hope it succeeds nationwide. Taco bell is being test marketed also, but the Chinese do not like cheese or tacos.

I've had KFC in China, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam. The food in Vietnam and Thailand are so wonderful, I could not imagine how the KFC's would survive there, but they do. It's fun to eat American fast food in foreign nations because they tend to add their own local specialties, or with pizza, put non traditional stuff on it like fish, corn (which is good), and peas. My friend from Iceland who has lived in Korea and Japan has told me that the KFCs on the Mainland are not as good.

I ate at a Popeye's chicken in Korea that just was not good at all. I always remember Popeyes being good, but the chicken in there was always dry and too spicy.

Senor

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/10 22:55:18 (permalink)
If that's our legacy to the Chinese people, we're all doomed!
If I like cheese and tacos is that why I don't like Taco Bell?
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/11 01:01:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

I live in a wealthy city in China called Hangzhou, which is about 200 miles south of Shanghai.

In Hangzhou, Shanghai and other cities, Pizza Huts have opened. I have met no foreigner (including myself) who likes Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut's pizzas are greasy, have no taste whatsoever, and expensive. My colon has suffered mightily from eating there. I do like the salad bar and the onion rings (because this is the only place in China that sells them). For the price that one pays at Pizza Hut, one could have a fantastic Chinese meal with wine.

The Chinese love it, and most every night there is a line of people outside their door waiting to get in. Pizza Hut makes their waitstaff wear seasonal costumes, including Halloween and Christmas, two holidays that the Chinese really don't understand or widely celebrate. Pizza Hut has been imitated by several other companies, who more or less make a knock off version of the same crap the Hut dishes out.

Hangzhou has KFC, McDonalds, and Pizza Hut. Shanghai has all that Hangzhou has, plus Subway sandwiches and Papa John'spizza. Burger King is being test marketed in Shanghai and I hope it succeeds nationwide. Taco bell is being test marketed also, but the Chinese do not like cheese or tacos.

I've had KFC in China, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam. The food in Vietnam and Thailand are so wonderful, I could not imagine how the KFC's would survive there, but they do. It's fun to eat American fast food in foreign nations because they tend to add their own local specialties, or with pizza, put non traditional stuff on it like fish, corn (which is good), and peas. My friend from Iceland who has lived in Korea and Japan has told me that the KFCs on the Mainland are not as good.

I ate at a Popeye's chicken in Korea that just was not good at all. I always remember Popeyes being good, but the chicken in there was always dry and too spicy.

Senor

Very interesting cross-cultural reference. I once got a coke at a Paris McDinald's because I could get all the ice I wanted.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/11 02:23:21 (permalink)
Mayonnaise on fries in Leidseplein Square, Amsterdam holds good memories. When that "When in Rome" thing is working, it's sublime.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Chinese fast-food round-up, but it kinda scared me, too. I dunno why, except maybe that it's such a big world. So much to eat, such little time.
Paubaby
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/15 18:40:36 (permalink)
"quote:
Hey, it IS your wife's fault!!!!!

So tell me something I didn't already know!"

Glad there's SOMEONE to blame

I can't say lately much I've eaten seems on the uphill trend... I absolutely can't stand most fast food places anymore... and on the TGIF topic that used to be one of my fave spots to meet with friends and the last three instances the appetizers were always cold *limp potato skins - YUCK!* ... I dread when my son gets to pick where we're eating (I try to let him pick a couple times a month) cause I always get stuck at somewhere gross...

ya know, the only place I do like that's fast food lately is Del Taco cause in the last 4-5 years I can't say the chicken soft tacos have gone downhill and when I pay for extra cheese they actually give me EXTRA cheese... hmmmm... dinner time yet?
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/21 07:39:41 (permalink)
I remember Burger King as a good place at one time - probably a warm fuzzy feeling from decades ago that makes me try them again every 6 months or so. But the other day when I stopped in needing lunch I first saw a big crowd waiting to pick up their orders...bad start. Then the guy w/ his young son in front of me started inquiring which 'Star Wars' toys were currently available. Points to the server for trying to accommodate him, but they entered lengthy inquries which turned into open-ended negotiations...and when she disappeared he hadn't even placed his order yet. The next server behind the counter walked past the growing line with a thousand-yard 'what am I doing here' stare and disappeared. I promptly did the same. If they're not about fast food, what are they?
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/21 16:45:49 (permalink)
I think the burgers at Wendy's are not nearly as good as back in the 70's and 80's.

But, I recently had KFC popcorn chicken...not bad! Mine were cooked perfectly and crispy, and each piece had white (breast) meat. I didn't like the potato wedges. Some of the wedges were just too huge. Like eating the side of a potato.
But, for fast food, I'll give the popcorn chicken an A, and the wedges a B.
I wasn't too pleased that my car companion insisted on KFC, but I ended up pleasantly surprised.

kools
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/22 15:17:59 (permalink)
Perhaps I am missing out in a potential diamond in the rough, but I learned enough a long time ago not to expect any memorable food from Friday's/Applebee/Chili's or Wendy's/Hardees/McDonald's/BK. I do whatever I can not to ever set foot in them. I am constantly bewildered by the sheeplike mentality of those who flock there as if the big budget marketing leaves them no other choice.

A couple of years ago I was given a $200 gift certificate to Applebees (they obviously didn't know me as well as they should have). When I finally got around to try to use it,I was stumped. The entire menu looked like bad generic versions of regional stereotypes. I think I settled on "Santa Fe Chicken," which reminded me nothing of what I had seen in Santa Fe. Then I told my kids theycould have as much dessert as they wanted in an effort to use up as much of the gift certificate as possible.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/22 18:41:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

You are right about TGIFs,Thet used to have really good chicken wings then they went to an inferior wing.I still like thier pot stickers though,but thats about it.

Ruby Tuesday makes some chicken pot stickers that are super!.. And the spciy dipping sauce has a kick to it also....
I hit them between 3-6 PM when they have half price appetizers...
Tara
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/22 18:43:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by saps

There's no way Long John Silver's can be doing downhill. It was at the bottom when it started.

I disagree that Long Johns was at the bottom when it started. My recollection is that it was very good about 30 years ago. I do not know what happened but it is no longer the same quality. They have screwed up big time. They serve these little squared off fillet of fish that is obviously something that has been manufactured for fast food.

I do not do business with these folks anymore.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Hpw about Arthur Treachers?.... I remember back in the late 60's early 70's they used to have lines out the door on friday night? Are there any in existence?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/22 20:16:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

quote:

There's no way Long John Silver's can be doing downhill. It was at the bottom when it started.

I disagree that Long Johns was at the bottom when it started. My recollection is that it was very good about 30 years ago. I do not know what happened but it is no longer the same quality. They have screwed up big time. They serve these little squared off fillet of fish that is obviously something that has been manufactured for fast food.

I do not do business with these folks anymore.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Hpw about Arthur Treachers?.... I remember back in the late 60's early 70's they used to have lines out the door on friday night? Are there any in existence?

A BIG problem with all of these places currently is that they use mostly pollock (fish) now. In years gone by, they always used cod. So did McDonald's, etc. Codfish is now greatly "overfished" world wide. Go figure.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/23 17:19:48 (permalink)
In my case it may be a case of me “going more uphill.” I used to like TGIF. I used to eat there a couple times a week in my twenties because they were nearby, served very late (I often ate at or after midnight) and they were the hip place to be. Twenty five years later I don’t even think of going into places like TGIF, Bennigans, Olive Garden, or other places because they’re boring and predictable.

I pick up some cheap fast food, make my own meals from scratch or go to the hole in the wall, locally owned, long established places that other people think are not cool. There’s really nothing TGIF or these other chains could do to get my business because I don’t find them attractive places to dine.
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/30 11:57:59 (permalink)

I truly use to enjoy Sonic. I do not know what has happened but the quality of taste has gone down hill. This really disapoints me as I enjoyed their business.

I agree with you about Sonic. Even the chili dogs don't tast as good as they use to. Our Sonic's here in Huntsville, AL, use to have a great steak sandwhich and now they don't serve it. Also they only have a foot long chili dog and not a regular size. They also stopped serving the hot fudge cake sundae which wash wonderful.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/30 12:11:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

They've got some on Northern VA.
Haven't been there though.
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/30 17:48:15 (permalink)
www.arthurtreachers.com
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/30 19:38:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poopy

Subway used to be really pretty good. I think when they started to go downhill was when they started to say how healthy they are. I know technically Crapplebee's doesn't count as fast food, but I can't even stand to eat there any more. Their French Onion soup is the worst I have ever eaten.

I worked at an Craplebee's, and they precook most of their food there----gag... I lasted about 2 weeks....

But the SUBWAY veggie sub is great.....
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/30 20:32:48 (permalink)
Speaking of Subs. I went to another chain establishment today for a 8" roast beef sub. Made on freshly baked bread (white, whole wheat, or sunflower); it was chocked full of Boar's Head Roast Beef and absolutely full of fresh veggies and was made to my specifications while I watched them prepare it. Price? $6.59 plus tax. It was delicious. They also have pressed Cubans made with Boar's Head also. There MAY be one of these places in YOUR area also. Yum-yum.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/01 10:58:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

www.arthurtreachers.com

the "best" part of that is knowing that soon, we can all go to an Arthur Treaters in the Cayman Islands.
Yahooey
Ring a ding ding

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/01 11:30:46 (permalink)
Hello All,
Perhaps I am wrong, (which I am often), but I don't think a franchise decides to
self-destruct. I am sure that some francises go through hard money times and
it messes the top brasses heads up and that filters down to the locals.
I live near a small city that is currently booming, and we have usually 2 or
3 fast food choices for most national companies, and there are a number of
small towns in the area that also has franchise businesses.
I can go to one Pizza Hut on the south side of town and get nothing but the
best pizza and service, while on the east side of town the Pizza Hut pizza is
tolerable and the service is good, but I am there for the taste.
I can go to a McDonald's in the city and get a certain quality of food, and then
go to one at a smaller local town and find the food better.
Chains can go downhill, but a lot of the quality can depend on the local manager
and workers. I went to a Wendy's and had their chili, which was awful. Management
changed and I discovered a new chili.
Like politics, food is local.
If you look at the comments of Slick on Roadfood.Com, you will see a GOOD owner or manager.
I don't think he is fast food, but his approach is what every fast food manager should have.
You can be good and fast food, but often fast food local establishments get lazy and sloppy.
Take Care,
Fieldthiste
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/01 14:51:09 (permalink)
Up here in the Portland Maine area, there are hardly any Burger Kings..
I was reading an article in the local paper the other day, and
there was a lady that had 5 franchises I think and she is down to 2, as she had to close them due to lack of business or file bankruptcy.. I think it was because of poor food and burger kings home office policies and ever changing menu and she just couldnt keep all that product there, and seems like they caused her to go bankrupt with all that change.. sometimes change isnt good...
ScreenBear
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/18 22:40:53 (permalink)
Never mind gone downhill. How about disappeared?
Does anyone remember Toddle House? Anyone know anything about its origins, fate?
The Bear
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/22 10:31:13 (permalink)
I've been shocked recently to get very good fish sandwiches at MdDs in D.C. I try to stay away, but the drive thru is an occasional necessity. I've ordered the good ol Filet O' Fish several times in the past few months and they've really been pretty good. Crisp and genuinely tasty fish, careful application of tartar sauce, and cheese nicely centered on the sandwich, and on really nice soft buns. I have no expectations from McD other than a quick and cheap filling of the gut, and can't help but wonder about the quality of these sandwiches. My personal theory is that the FF joints in the area are largely staffed by recent African, Carribean, and Latino immigrants who seem to work hard and take what they're doing much more seriously than the typical suburban crews of teenagers in many FF establishments.

Vayo con Queso
ScreenBear
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/23 08:23:34 (permalink)

There's a snowplowing forum?
The Bear
Fieldthistle
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/24 03:44:47 (permalink)
Hello All,
Far out! There is a snowplowing forum. That is great.
I will inform the guy that plows my driveway. Thanks Sonjaab.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
p.s. am glad to discover the snowplowing forum, but this has
become a long thread and most of the fast food places are
thriving
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/24 09:11:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

IMO, these have also all gone downhill:

Big Boy
Perkins
Bennigans

You are 1000% correct about Big Boy and perkins!!!!!!!!!!!!

There aren't any Bennigans in my area, so I can't comment on Bennigans.
fbradjr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/24 17:00:51 (permalink)
quote:

No way!!!!!!!!

I was at the first store open and my thinking it was an H Salt seafood clone, the recipes and operation was first rate.
First national roll out for a chicken wing was their Peg Legs in their Treasure chest dinner.
Biggest mistake was doing away with the peg leg and changing fish portion size.

Since Pizza hut took over it’s been down hill, but what do they know about the restaurant business.
Fieldthistle
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/24 20:38:40 (permalink)
Hello All,
I miss Long John's Silver's peg legs. Rarely eat there anymore.
Bring back the peg legs, and I'll be back.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/24 22:39:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sonjaab

ROOSEY...........I have been reading in a snowplowing
contractors forum about a snowplowing company not
being paid for plowing services from a certain
hamburger chain up your way.
He has ceased service and is going thru legal
channels to get paid/released under his contract.

Maybe one in the same?

I thought all Burger Kings in the NE. were privately
held and operated by Carrols Corp. from Syracuse NY ?

.........geo

could be, I can check the archives of the Portland Press just for kicks. But I distincly remember reading that a woman owned 5 of them in Portland.
But BK is almost non-existant up here.
Arbys is hard to find also.
Not very many fast food places here at all.

The lady that owned those BK's cited corporate policies for her going under and losing her stores.
Makes me scared to even go into one anymore up here. In fact i havent been in one in 3 months since I moved here. Not that I am a huge fan of BK.. Just noticed these little things while driving around.

And speaking of corporate, there is a Micky d's 15 miles north in Yarmouth that doesnt even have a drive thru. And thats is the only fast food joint there.

Fast food chains, and as they call them, FORMULA type/corporate type restaurants are banned there, and especially in Kennebunkport/York/Shapleigh area , and I just read in the paper that they may allow one to open there IF they make certain concessions that violate their town standards.
In fact several years ago, a restaurant in Kennebunkpot with umbrellas supplied by a hot dog company was ordered to cover up the advertising on the 10 umbrellas that shaded his customers on the patio.

in fact, the Micky D's in Freeport doesnt even have a speaker at the drive thru, due to the fact that it is too loud to have one.
You have to yell thru the window....but that one does have a drive thru--And that is the only fast food place in Freeport-which is the next town up from yarmouth, which is where I live-Town ordinances suck here. They recently just allowed a Ruby Tuesday to start ground breaking, but they had to go thru a legal wrangle with LL Bean as to where it will be allowed to be.
I will check and get back with ya soon.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/12/24 22:42:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sonjaab

SB........Sure is.........
http://www.letstalksnow.com

Beside operating my bar/hotel/motel/resturant operation(s)
I also do a winter snowplowing and removal operation.
............geo

I used to live In Inlet and Eagle Bay, NY....
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1