The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 73 of 73
garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Mon, 03/20/06 4:43 PM (permalink)
Big Boy's, Perkins, Long John Silver's, Red Lobster, I-Hop, Pondurosa, Ryan's, and KFC!!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Tue, 03/21/06 6:45 AM (permalink)
    Here in the Northeast 2 come to mind no make that 3. The 99's when the Doe family owned it was good food and drink at a fair value. Friendly's at one time had a great burger served on toast it was one of their signature items that was very good. Papa Gino's at one time had a great Pizza then they sold out to some coporate giant and some coporate ladder climber decided to change product to increase the bottom line and thats where they headded to the bottom. Moral to the story, If it ain't broke dont't fix it. Chow Jim

Fred Ferris

• Total Posts: 153
      RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Tue, 04/4/06 4:00 PM (permalink)
      I have to agree with an earlier poster re: Pizza Hut...It's hard to believe as bad as it is now, but this used to be one of my very favorite pizza (the thin crust)...craker-like crust, real pieces of tomato in the sauce...and excellent cheese...creating a very unique, distinct flavor. Now, it's practically inedible.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
        RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Wed, 04/5/06 1:31 PM (permalink)
        I shouldn't admit this, but I can remember when Pizza Hut was a sit-down restaurant, with cocktails and tablecloths and silverware and pizza you could eat and not be sick for two days.

I can't think of one that hasn't gone downhill, but the one that disappoints me is Boston Chicken/Market. Before the Golden Arches took them over the food was actually fresh. The creamed spinach tasted like creamed spinach, not like corn starch. They made terrific pot pies you could take home and cook. Some restaurants actually diverged from the program and made their own chicken soup from the spare parts. But McD's put an end to all that.

JuanKerr

• Total Posts: 20
          RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Sat, 04/22/06 1:27 AM (permalink)
          As someone who has spent most of his life in Europe, but lived in the US for a couple of years in the early 80s, for another couple in the early 90s and have now been back here for a year, maybe I can offer a perspective on this.

Obviously all this is tinged with personal preference, unreliable memory (especially 90-92 as I was old enough to drink by then) and the difference in restaurants even locally, as was pointed out above. But I really haven't seen a huge change in most places, especially at the low end, with one or two exceptions.

Hardee's, in my perception, has actually improved greatly. I don't see much of a difference in McDs or BK, and while the choice at Wendys has definitely declined, the quality seems to be the same (pretty poor in all three cases).

The big exception, as noted by several others, is Pizza Hut. While never being what I'd consider 'pizza' (of any variety, american or european), it was serious treat to my virgin palette in 1982 and still very good to my somewhat more jaded one in 1992. It's now just cardboard, based on places in WV, PA, NJ, FL and OH in the last year. It's so bad that I'm convinced Dominos, previously the devil incarnate of 2am eats, has actually improved since even 1999 (when I snuck over for a few months and it was still awful).

I hate to say it, but Pizza Hut in the UK, France and Belgium is actually better than over here now. And it's really not good there, either, by any means.

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
            RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Sat, 04/22/06 2:08 PM (permalink)
            I like the Pan Pizza at pizza hut, but the rest of it isn't good.

Dominos sucks, not many of them left in this area, Dominos were much better in the early 1970's.

My two favortes are local, Pete's Patio in Niles which it a Italian place, that has been in operation for almost 50 years and owned and operated by the orignal owner the whole period.

The other is Milano's Pizza, it is also located in Niles, Michigan, it has been in business for over 35 years and it also is still owned and operated by the orginal owner.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
              RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Sat, 04/22/06 6:53 PM (permalink)
              What happened to Pizzaria Uno?
              They all seem to have closed in my area
              Were they headed downhill?
              Hadn't visited one in some time

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Sun, 04/23/06 3:56 PM (permalink)
                I used to really like Domino's (when I lived in Kentucky and had no access to decent independent pizzerias), but the last few times I've ordered they've been really overdone. I tried a couple different locations with the same results. I used to deliver for them in the early 90s and I know they cook on a conveyor belt, but still they never came out as brown as they do now.

WaffleHouserules

• Total Posts: 353
                  RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Tue, 06/6/06 8:50 PM (permalink)
                  Bob Evans, they took Spaghetti which I specifically came there to eat, also took off corn and salad

ham-b-guy

• Total Posts: 19
                    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Thu, 08/10/06 9:21 PM (permalink)
                    Rally's. I say within a year, all the restaurants and nearly all the restaurants in and outside the city of Detroit closed up. Some of them are now run by independant restaurants and some are ran by subway. Oh and checker's have purchased back a few of the Rally's that did close. One not too far from my house opened up as checkers.
                    And the few Rally's that stilled remained opened are now taking up the name Checkers. So they may make a comeback around metro Detroit, At least the ones not ruined by nasty Wendy's

rpc717

• Total Posts: 27
                      RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Tue, 09/26/06 11:38 PM (permalink)
                      Definitely Dominos - in the early '80s, they had really good pizza! Same with Godfather's.

My biggest complaint is with Outback Steakhouse. In the late '80s, we used to eat at the original restaurants in Tampa and they were really, really awesome. The last few I've eaten at have been very pedestrian.

improviser

• Total Posts: 865
                        RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Fri, 09/29/06 11:23 AM (permalink)
                        Wendy's has gone far downhill, imo. I really like their burgers, they're always hot. But their fries are awful. Always cold when you get home and I live less than 5 minutes away! If you get lucky and they're hot, the potatoes are tough. This is the case in whatever location I go to.

If I'm gonna get a fast food burger and fries, I'll go to Burger King or Jack In The Box.

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
                          RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ Fri, 09/29/06 11:44 AM (permalink)
                          I have to agree with the Pizza hut & Domino's somments. Never did Domino's much, buyt the last I had it it was not very tasty--kind of liek frozen pizza. Pizza Hut used toi be a big fav for me--used to drive miles to get to one (there were none in my area). Now it's just like every other chain, pre manufactured pizza. Sad because it used to be very good.

I will stick with my locals!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 73 of 73

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com