Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
2005/11/05 00:44:46 (permalink)

Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........

Yah, it's not fast food but it is a chain: I think TGIF has slidden down the hill. I used to love their chicken fajita salad, but then they changed it and now it's not on the menu. But, I've also noticed bad changes at local "roadfood" eateries such as a BBQ place in Lexington that had tremendous whole fried banana peppers and now they have "banana pepper chips" --- not at all the same and not nearly as good. Echhh I don't set foot in Olive Garden, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesdays but I thought Friday's used to be pretty good. I think the only redeeming thing about them now is the French Onion soup.

Andrea

72 Replies Related Threads

Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/05 03:11:04 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    It seems that every business goes through cycles of good and bad service or quality.
    What they need is good feedback from the customers. If the person or people in power
    get enough of complaints or loss of money associated with those complaints, things
    will change. Use your voice!!! My wife has, and I am a better man.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/05 10:00:44 (permalink)
    It might be easier to list the chains that have gone UPHILL
    trudyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/05 12:34:35 (permalink)
    Agreed!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/05 14:28:03 (permalink)
    Actually, TGIF is in the midst of a nationwide renovation of their stores and menus. They've never been a favorite of mine, but this might be a good thing for those who do like them.

Tom
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/05 16:05:02 (permalink)
    We had an outstanding local sub business, Cousins Subs, that with each expansion (now national, no longer even regional) suffered an ever larger drop in quality. Why is this so common? I'm sure Subway, Blimpie, Domino's, Papa John's, Wendy's, TGIF, KFC, etc. were all great local establishments at one time that suffered when taken nationally.
    Accountants (of which my wife is one) caring only about the bottom line and not what customers really enjoy?
    Toning down spices and seasoning so not to offend some perceived picky eaters?
    Lack of nationaly found quality ingredients?
    Culvers are pretty good but even they do not taste as they once did when starting out, which was in Sun Prarie Wisconsin I believe, where my Madison based sister took me to years back.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/05 16:37:37 (permalink)
    I truly use to enjoy Sonic. I do not know what has happened but the quality of taste has gone down hill. This really disapoints me as I enjoyed their business.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 08:48:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

We had an outstanding local sub business, Cousins Subs, that with each expansion (now national, no longer even regional) suffered an ever larger drop in quality. Why is this so common? I'm sure Subway, Blimpie, Domino's, Papa John's, Wendy's, TGIF, KFC, etc. were all great local establishments at one time that suffered when taken nationally.
    Accountants (of which my wife is one) caring only about the bottom line and not what customers really enjoy?
    Toning down spices and seasoning so not to offend some perceived picky eaters?
    Lack of nationaly found quality ingredients?
    Culvers are pretty good but even they do not taste as they once did when starting out, which was in Sun Prarie Wisconsin I believe, where my Madison based sister took me to years back.

You have summed it up quite well. I think the "beancounter" issue is most to blame. That by itself caused most of the problems you mentioned. I personally was there when Wendy's first started to flounder (about 1985). Domino's made THREE drastic changes in their basic pizza recipe that started them down the toilet bowl chute. They changed their dough recipe to become "less chewy". They changed their pizza sauce recipe to become "less spicy". And lastly, they started using chain ovens. Alas, more profit, less quality.

Hey, it IS your wife's fault!!!!!

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 09:03:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Hey, it IS your wife's fault!!!!!

So tell me something I didn't already know!
    Rt66Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 10:22:29 (permalink)
    Pizza Hut is another national chain that has realy gone way downhill qualitywise over the past ten years or so. The biggest thing that they did that turned me off was chaging their sauce to something that is IMHO, kind of off tasting, and they use the same kind of gluey cheese that you normaly find on a 99 Cent Totino's frozen pizza.

On the side of hamurger chains, ever since they got bought out by Carl's Jr., Hardees has bit the big one. Lousy hamburgers, lousy fries, diminished breakfast menu, roast beef gone, fried chicken gone. Even here in their headquarters market of St. Louis, tumbleweeds can be seen rolling through the parking lot of the average still open Hardee's; many of which have closed since the Star conversions.

What always kills me is that the last few years that they have been running commercials saying that they have been voted Citysearch.com's best hamburger in St. Louis. I don't know of anyone who would put the worst fast food burger in the biz above even a Big Mac. I don't see a voting link on their site, which makes me wonder if Hardee's pays for that endorsement.
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 10:33:18 (permalink)
    You are right about TGIFs,Thet used to have really good chicken wings then they went to an inferior wing.I still like thier pot stickers though,but thats about it.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 10:34:10 (permalink)
    I've wondered about that, also. Nashville isn't exactly a hamburger mecca, but when citysearch says Hardee's is the best burger in town, I have to question their credibility.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 11:08:14 (permalink)
    I think these "best of" surveys are a bunch of hooey.

People who aren't qualified are allowed to vote and it becomes a game of unaided recall ("name a hamburger joint") ... you sure have to read the results between the lines, that's for sure.

In a way, I feel sorry for the unqualified masses ... do they never stray from the chains ??? Have they never felt the satisfaction of true roadfood ???

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 11:10:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I've wondered about that, also. Nashville isn't exactly a hamburger mecca, but when citysearch says Hardee's is the best burger in town, I have to question their credibility.

Somehow I feel that that claim is by Hardee's as I see the same billboard poster throughout the USA.

Every city I go in, I see the same billboard indicating that their burger is the best. Sezz who?

They are not bad but I question their source.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 11:19:57 (permalink)
    All I gotta say is, if Hardee's is your vision of a great burger, you need to get out more often.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 14:01:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

You are right about TGIFs,Thet used to have really good chicken wings then they went to an inferior wing.I still like thier pot stickers though,but thats about it.

Yah the pot stickers are still good and much of that has to do with the sauce. Long John Silver's is also downhill --- the fish now seems soggy. Dominoes went out of business here, and Pizza Hut is salty, salty, salty. Hardee's is also out of business here.

Andrea
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1563
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 14:44:02 (permalink)
    There's no way Long John Silver's can be doing downhill. It was at the bottom when it started.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 15:05:43 (permalink)
    I think Starbucks has gone downhill as it has expanded the empire.
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/06 15:29:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

There's no way Long John Silver's can be doing downhill. It was at the bottom when it started.

Yep, that's true. One night years ago we were at a sprint car race that was partially sponsored by the local Long John Silver's. The announcer, an amateur who had sounded befuddled all evening, encouraged the race fans to patronize that LJS and said, "It's just a hop, skip, and a dump down the street." We laughed until we couldn't breathe. However, truer words were never spoken.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/07 18:08:23 (permalink)
    I remember the good old days when you could go to Pizza Hut and enjoy a great, freshly made pizza. The salad bar was good as well. All your food was served by waitstaff. I don't even think they delivered back then.

Unfortunately, like other chains, the food just lacks quality because we have become such an "instantaneous" society.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/07 18:16:16 (permalink)
    quote:

I disagree that Long Johns was at the bottom when it started. My recollection is that it was very good about 30 years ago. I do not know what happened but it is no longer the same quality. They have screwed up big time. They serve these little squared off fillet of fish that is obviously something that has been manufactured for fast food.

I do not do business with these folks anymore.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/07 18:18:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

I think Starbucks has gone downhill as it has expanded the empire.

I disagree that Starbucks has gone downhill. I think that they charge too much but the coffee is still very delicious.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/07 19:37:33 (permalink)
    IMO, these have also all gone downhill:

Big Boy
    Perkins
    Bennigans
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/07 21:13:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

quote:

Yep, that's true. One night years ago we were at a sprint car race that was partially sponsored by the local Long John Silver's. The announcer, an amateur who had sounded befuddled all evening, encouraged the race fans to patronize that LJS and said, "It's just a hop, skip, and a dump down the street." We laughed until we couldn't breathe. However, truer words were never spoken.

I think Sandy has true RF potential here, folks...

tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/08 09:38:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I truly use to enjoy Sonic. I do not know what has happened but the quality of taste has gone down hill. This really disapoints me as I enjoyed their business.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

We don't live in Sonic territory, so we usually only stop on vacation. The kids used to love it, and getting to go to Sonic was a hi lite of the trip. Last time, in Utah, we only had the youngest still with us. After stopping at Sonic at her request, she said,"I don't know why I ever liked this place". I thought that her taste had changed, but now I know it is Sonic that changed. All I can comment on is the Strawberry shake, which was below average even when only compared to other fast food places
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/08 10:56:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

It might be easier to list the chains that have gone UPHILL

Name Three---i dare ya!
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/08 11:25:30 (permalink)
    I have to agree about Hardies. I remember years(ssss) ago the Hardie Huskey, had sause a lot like the Big Mac. They were great. Several of our Hardies have closed also. I use to love Long John Silver. Ours closed for several years and then reopened w/a A&W. I couldn't wait to go and order the fish and boy was I disappointed. It just wasn't the same. By the way, the McRib is back in Huntsville, AL. I had my first one the other day and it was awful. What was I thinking? Also contacted a severe stomach virus that night. Very sick for 2 days. McRib or not? I know one thing though I won't eat another McRib. I know the quality of a lot of restaurants have gone down hill in the last few years, but it seems to me that food tasted better when I was young(er). I remember living in Harlingen, TX, and going to the A&W (I think) and they had the best tacos. I now drink only rootbeer w/my tacos. Oh yeah, it isn't a good taco unless grease is dripping down your arms.
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/08 12:59:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rt66Mike

...ever since they got bought out by Carl's Jr., Hardees has bit the big one.

We don't have Hardees here but do have Carl's Jr. They used to run TV ads showing how sloppy eating their burgers was - indicating that it was some sort of 'feature'.

In reality, their burgers were sloppy because they were sloppily made by very low paid employees. I thought their ads were brilliant, turning a detriment into a positive. To some.

I won't eat there because of the poor food preparation.

Dino
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/08 16:31:58 (permalink)
    Subway used to be really pretty good. I think when they started to go downhill was when they started to say how healthy they are. I know technically Crapplebee's doesn't count as fast food, but I can't even stand to eat there any more. Their French Onion soup is the worst I have ever eaten.
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Chains that have gone DOWNHILL........ 2005/11/08 18:35:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
    Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

quote:

I think Sandy has true RF potential here, folks...

Awww, thanks, Adjudicator. Just trying to earn my road cred.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1