Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse

Author
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
2010/05/20 08:58:40 (permalink)

Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse

Has anyone eaten at either Logan's Roadhouse or Longhorn Steakhouse?
I put this here since they are chains.
In Sunday's San Antonio Express News, they had coupons for both places.I live in the NorthEast side of town, and none of these places have locations in my area.
So before I waste gas going to one of them, what does anyone think of the food and prices?
Are they worth the drive or not? Want to try Ruby Tuesday, since it's out on USHWY 281
and not to far from me. San Antonio has gotten a lot of new chains,like The Egg and I, The Earl of Sandwich,Culvers,etc. Now even some of the local places in San Antonio are starting the chain bit. Here in Schertz we have Martha's Mexican cafe and Cantina,a local SA restaurant that has two places and now the one opend here.Haven't tried it yet.I do like mamacita's in New Braunfels, they have several in the surrounding area but started in kerrville.
I still like Texas Roadhouse for their steaks,and they are in Live Oak, right by the Regal Cinema.

19 Replies Related Threads

susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/20 09:38:04 (permalink)
    I have eaten at both.  Food is pretty good, steak/salads/burgers.  Logan's is a little cheaper than Longhorn and does the peanuts in a bucket thing.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3658
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/20 11:43:17 (permalink)
    I like Logan's a lot.  Used to be the only place in Michigan you could get sweet tea, and their steaks are pretty darn good.  Also, they actually know how to cook a steak truly rare, without questioning your motives.  It's the only chain that is better than my local steakhouse/brewpub.  As for prices, two people eating regular meals with drinks is just enough that I consider it a sort-of special occasion place (but then where I come from anything that serves steak as their main item IS a special occasion restaurant), but they run great lunch/daily specials.  Last I knew they were doing two complete meals for $20.00 Monday-Thursday.

Not familiar with Longhorn, as to the best of my knowledge we don't have those here.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2010/05/20 11:45:11
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/20 12:29:19 (permalink)
    We have one Logan's and two Longhorns in the Louisville area...there may be more, but these are the ones we have visited. We also have Texas Roadhouse and of course  Outback. I am not sure that the Outback is in the same 'pricing class' as the various Roadhouses, but for purposes of this post I'll consider it an equal.

Our personal favorite of the above would be Outback.  Of the other three, we would rank Logan's at the top of the list, then a big step down to Longhorn, and we don't go to Texas Roadhouse at all anymore, after having a couple of bad experiences at our local store (poor quality food and terrible teen-age smart-ass service). We think Logan's gives you more for your money than the other two Roadhouse chains...especially the grilled Kebob Veggie Spears. They make a good side-dish for the steaks.

Outback, to us, is a different entity. We go to get the Rack of Lamb, a real favorite of ours, and the CocoNut Shrimp. Janet and I will share two orders of the Shrimp and one Rack of Lamb dinner with an extra salad and be quite happy when we leave the place. The Roadhouses  are used for inexpensive steak dinners ($15+-)
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8404
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/20 13:21:43 (permalink)
    I went to Logan's in Denison/Sherman Texas a few years ago.

I don't remember the pricing, but I don't think it was expensive or out of line.

The steak that I had was very good.

I'd go back.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1642
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/21 12:43:37 (permalink)
    I've never been to Logan's.

As to Longhorn vs. Outback, I've had the beef in both places. (Too many places with better fish/shrimp in our area to try it at these places.) I rate them both about the same with good value for the money spent. In a nutshell, I don't mind eating at either, but won't go too far out of my way to get to either, unless you got some sort of "Super Coupon".

That being said, I will admit to being a big fan of Longhorn's burger. We live in a "burger-poor" area & Longhorn will cook their burger "medium" which comes out with a lot of pink in the middle, which is how I prefer a burger.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/21 15:12:08 (permalink)
    I had a nice bowl of chili and Gail had a nice medium/rare hamburger at a Longhorns someplace last Winter I'd never go for a steak in one of thse types of joints.

I can assure you that, although I've never been to one, Logan's is an excellent place with excellent value...

Cheers, John (Logan)
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/21 20:56:57 (permalink)
    I've not been too impressed with the Logan's in Evansville, Indiana.  It's OK, but it certainly beats Texas Roadhouse, which is only a great place to go if you don't have a tongue.

Now Longhorn is another matter.  I've had very good meals there, but I stumbled onto something that I've found superb, and I need to let other roadfooders in on it.

They have an item called "The Outlaw Ribeye."  It is good, and they cook something called "dustings" into the meat.

But I found a way to make this entree even better: ask them to cook "extra" dustings into the meat.  Talk about a flavor impact on the tongue!  I never wanted the meal to end.

I've been doing that for the last approximately 50 meals there and haven't looked back once.  The rest of the items don't compare once you've had it cooked that way.

collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/21 21:12:12 (permalink)
    Can't speak about Logan's.  Texas Roadhouse seems similar, and I would give them a barely okay rating.  I've been to Longhorn a few times and liked it.  For a chain, I think they are pretty good.  Better than Outback, in my opinion.  In fact, my wife and I will be going to our anniversary dinner to Longhorn Steakhouse.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/05/22 04:49:22 (permalink)
     It has been so long that I have been to a "steakhouse" that I truly don't know what is out there. Here in Wasilla, AK; we don't even have one. We don't have a good BBQ joint either!!! Alas, just a Chile's???  Outback is in Palmer about 25 miles away but I have not tried them.

Anyway, I just cook my stakes at home, the way I like them and don't order them when at a restaurant.

JMHO

David O.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5493
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/07/15 18:15:20 (permalink)
    PP, Ava and I like Logan's a lot. As a matter of fact the first real people food Ava ever had was Logan's excellent yeast rolls.

They are building a Logan's about 7 miles up the road from us. We're happy :)
    mjsneddon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 230
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/07/29 23:06:26 (permalink)
    I have not eaten at a Longhorn Steakhouse but have eaten a couple of times at a Logan's.  I thought they made a darn good burger on a lunch stop quite a few years ago.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5493
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/08/23 07:06:11 (permalink)
    We're still waiting for the new one to open near us.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4568
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/08/23 08:15:59 (permalink)
    There was a thread started by Ellen a while ago about Longhorn
    digitboy100
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/12/28 13:57:09 (permalink)
    I used to eat at the Logan's Roadhouse in Norfolk when I lived in Virginia Beach.  They had some of the best baby back ribs I've ever tasted!  Fall-off-the-bone tender.
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/12/28 14:26:03 (permalink)
    I've been to Logan's which had very good food.  Never heard of Longhorn.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/12/28 16:38:45 (permalink)
    Logan's isn't bad, but Longhorn is one of my favorite chain restaurants.  The hand-cut, bourbon-grilled salmon filet is over-the-top delicious, and it's my standard order, along with freshly steamed asparagus, baked potato, and cracklin' crisp salad (dressings are superb, and I'm partial to the house dressing).   I confidently recommend their prime rib, as well.  For a chain establishment, Longhorn pays exceptional attention to detail and quality.   Logan's is a cheaper meal, but that's just it.  It's a cheaper meal.    

I enthusiastically give Longhorn gift cards to our letter and newspaper carriers, FedEx driver, etc., at Christmas.  

post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/12/28 17:00:06
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/12/28 17:28:30 (permalink)
    Joerogo:  Thanks for posting Ellen's link.  Guess I'm in good company on this one.  (I'm already getting Longhorn hunger pangs.)  
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4568
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2010/12/29 13:37:27 (permalink)
    MellowRoast
    Joerogo:  Thanks for posting Ellen's link.  Guess I'm in good company on this one.  (I'm already getting Longhorn hunger pangs.)  

I'm with you.  If it's beef and Ellen says it's good, it's for me!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:Chains:Logan's Roadhouse and Longhorn Steakhouse 2011/03/15 09:37:34 (permalink)
    Did the LongHorn chain originate out west?  This description makes me think so, and it appears there are only 2 in Wisconsin (Madison & Green Bay) so it might be a fairly new arrival to this part of the country.

The restaurant finder feature on the webpage might have a bug, though.  When I searched for the Rockford, IL area it listed the locations in Chicago and even as far away as Springfield but didn't show the Madison location, even though it's definitely closer than Springfield and possible closer than some of the Chicago restaurants.  Looks like the results might be limited to the state of the original search even if out-of-state locations are closer.

Brad
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1