Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale..

Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
  • Location: columbus, oh
  • Status: offline
2007/08/01 20:20:23 (permalink)

Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale..

While browsing on another site, I saw Char Hut mentioned.
I just had such a craving for a chargrilled burger between a poppy seed bun.
I absolutely LOVED that place.
You drive by and can smell the food cooking, and the smell makes you want to turn in and chow down....
Anyone else know where I am talking about?...
Jeez.. more things I miss about my home state..
I have been inundated with so much talk about places I have lived lately, I cant bear it...
http://www.char-hut.com/index.htm
#1

12 Replies Related Threads

    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    • Joined: 2002/02/13 13:38:00
    • Location: Marietta, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/02 07:34:49 (permalink)
    I've been there in Davie, but I never saw a "pallomilla steak" on the menu. What is it?
    #2
    medicmike
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2002/09/16 13:51:00
    • Location: Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/02 17:19:43 (permalink)
    Char Hut is great, several years back I was working a project in Ft Lauderdale and became so addicted to these burgers that I ended up eating there every day!
    #3
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    • Joined: 2004/12/08 20:13:00
    • Location: Bonita Springs, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/02 18:31:51 (permalink)
    QFan and the Mrs. have driven by that section on I-595 dozens of times and never even knew it was there. It's such a boring trip across Alligator Alley from the west coast of FL that I can't wait for the next time we need to go over to use the Ft Lauderdale airport or whatever. Will definitely make the Char Hut one of my next RF destinations. Thanks, roossy!

    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    #4
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    • Joined: 2004/12/08 20:13:00
    • Location: Bonita Springs, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/02 18:36:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

    QFan and the Mrs. have driven by that section on I-595 dozens of times and never even knew it was there. It's such a boring trip across Alligator Alley from the west coast of FL that I can't wait for the next time we need to go over to use the Ft Lauderdale airport or whatever. Will definitely make the Char Hut one of my next RF destinations. Thanks, roossy!

    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL


    P.S.
    Upon further thought. That's also not far from the last remaining Lum's on the planet. Now have 2 great RF stops to look forward to!!!
    QFan
    #5
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/03 04:09:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

    I've been there in Davie, but I never saw a "pallomilla steak" on the menu. What is it?

    That is a Cuban dish.
    from reading the Char hut web site, It looks like they have franchised. Or just maybe have included local ethnic dishes incorporated into their menu..
    what you mention is as follows.
    Coming from Miami, I am familiar with that dish.. It is also called Bistec..
    Very Common in South Florida...

    Palomilla Steak
    (Bistec de Palomilla)

    This is a Cuban-style filet mignon. The lime juice, onions, and garlic are essential in giving the steak its flavor.
    Serving Size: 6


    Ingredients
    3 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    6 thin-sliced top sirloin steaks
    2 tbsp lime juice
    1 large onion (chopped to strips)
    4 garlic cloves (minced)
    salt and ground black pepper








    Directions

    Heat the olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Place two to three pieces of the steaks in the pan and saute 1 minute on each side. Repeat again until all the steaks have been cooked. The steaks should be very thinly cut, so cooking time should only be a few minutes. Place the steaks on a paper towel covered plate and keep them warm. Immediately add the lime juice, garlic, 2 tbsp of butter, and onions and allow to cook over medium-low heat for a couple of minutes. Pour the saute over the steaks, add salt and pepper to taste and serve with white rice and black beans, enjoy!

    #6
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/03 04:11:51 (permalink)
    But the best way to have Bistec Palomilla, is to have it in an authentic Cubano restaurant...
    To tell you the truth, unless they offer it as a sandwich type, I wouldnt get the Bistec in Char Hut.
    Stick to their Char grilled burgers.
    Thats what they are known for...
    #7
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/03 04:12:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

    QFan and the Mrs. have driven by that section on I-595 dozens of times and never even knew it was there. It's such a boring trip across Alligator Alley from the west coast of FL that I can't wait for the next time we need to go over to use the Ft Lauderdale airport or whatever. Will definitely make the Char Hut one of my next RF destinations. Thanks, roossy!

    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

    Their burgers are really good.
    I swear I salivate every time I read this topic.
    #8
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    • Joined: 2002/02/13 13:38:00
    • Location: Marietta, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/03 07:09:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

    I've been there in Davie, but I never saw a "pallomilla steak" on the menu. What is it?

    That is a Cuban dish.
    from reading the Char hut web site, It looks like they have franchised. Or just maybe have included local ethnic dishes incorporated into their menu..
    what you mention is as follows.
    Coming from Miami, I am familiar with that dish.. It is also called Bistec..
    Very Common in South Florida...

    Palomilla Steak
    (Bistec de Palomilla)

    This is a Cuban-style filet mignon. The lime juice, onions, and garlic are essential in giving the steak its flavor.
    Serving Size: 6


    Ingredients
    3 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    6 thin-sliced top sirloin steaks
    2 tbsp lime juice
    1 large onion (chopped to strips)
    4 garlic cloves (minced)
    salt and ground black pepper








    Directions

    Heat the olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Place two to three pieces of the steaks in the pan and saute 1 minute on each side. Repeat again until all the steaks have been cooked. The steaks should be very thinly cut, so cooking time should only be a few minutes. Place the steaks on a paper towel covered plate and keep them warm. Immediately add the lime juice, garlic, 2 tbsp of butter, and onions and allow to cook over medium-low heat for a couple of minutes. Pour the saute over the steaks, add salt and pepper to taste and serve with white rice and black beans, enjoy!



    Sort of like a beef fajita?
    #9
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/03 19:40:44 (permalink)
    No.... I just think it is the lime juice and onions on top that make it special...
    It is a whole steak, not cut up into strips like fajitas...kinda like a minute steak, very thin..
    I would venture to say that most Cuban restaurants would have this on their menu's.
    #10
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    • Joined: 2002/02/13 13:38:00
    • Location: Marietta, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2007/08/05 07:17:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

    No.... I just think it is the lime juice and onions on top that make it special...
    It is a whole steak, not cut up into strips like fajitas...kinda like a minute steak, very thin..
    I would venture to say that most Cuban restaurants would have this on their menu's.


    Never heard of it before, but will have to give it a try, thanks Roos.
    #11
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    • Joined: 2005/09/25 18:41:00
    • Location: loxahatchee, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2009/01/04 13:15:26 (permalink)
    grew up alongside char hut living in broward and now thank god they are about to open in royal palm beach near my house, addictive hot relish
    #12
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    • Joined: 2004/05/01 01:44:00
    • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Char-Hut in Ft. Lauderdale.. 2009/01/06 00:55:56 (permalink)
    I enjoyed Char Hut, as well...
    I posted some pics in one of my Florida Trip Reports last spring...
    #13
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1