Charbroiled or grilled

Author
LuckyLabrador
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 583
2007/09/04 18:02:16 (permalink)

Charbroiled or grilled

If you had your druthers which would you choose, I have the capacity to do both, I currently charbroil, thinking of doing them on a flat top, it will save propane.

21 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/04 18:37:04 (permalink)
    I like them both ways. But I have to tell ya, as a cook, I actually had people complain about the charbroiled ones on occasion.. Think some just dont enjoy that smokey flavor.. But my personal choice is serving them charbroiled.

SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/05 10:01:25 (permalink)
    My fav. is grilled, either indoors or outdoors. I absolutely love grilled burgers, med-rare thank you very much.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/05 13:00:16 (permalink)
    I tried doing them charcoaled but a different way. I put my coals on one side and the burgers on the other where it was much cooler. It took much longer but the burgers were much more tender. It took almost a hour and a half but that was enough time for libation.

The burgers were mash potato tender.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6454
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/05 14:25:54 (permalink)
    For me that depends on the burger.

I love a charbroiled burger, but there is something to be said for a diners flat top fried/grilled burger.

juice running down your hands and arms as you try and stuff the thing into your mouth

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 01:38:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I tried doing them charcoaled but a different way. I put my coals on one side and the burgers on the other where it was much cooler. It took much longer but the burgers were much more tender. It took almost a hour and a half but that was enough time for libation.

The burgers were mash potato tender.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Nothing personal Paul, but several of us Roadfooder's are going to have to sit you down, show ya how to cook a decent flame licked burger, and enjoy it... Weather ya like it or not (no cool side cooking involved, or that waiting factor)! And don't worry about the juicy factor, it will be there!
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 03:24:33 (permalink)
    Weather ya like it or not (no cool side cooking involved, or that waiting factor)! And don't worry about the juicy factor, it will be there!

have to agree with Vic on this...they cook quick but you gotta keep a eye on them they'll go from med to "garbage' hockey pucks in very little time.
    ron
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 09:05:06 (permalink)
    I prefer grilled.
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 09:30:11 (permalink)
    Grilled... it enhances the flavor
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5154
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 11:19:28 (permalink)
    LL, by "charbroiled" do you mean grilled on a grate over charcoal or gas? If so, the charcoal version gets my vote but I've had plenty of good burgers from gas grills and flat steel grills/griddles, too. When I see "broil" I think of the heat source being above the food, not below.

Sometimes I'll do burgers indirectly like Paul describes, but usually then I'll make a mixture of ground beef, creamy salad dressing, and shredded cheese, and then wrap the patties in bacon before grilling.

Brad
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 11:27:39 (permalink)
    I remember a post from JB, where he described putting a solid cast iron grill directly over the burners in a BBQ, "like a salamander" was his description.
    I've been wanting to try it for burgers & steaks; next time I take the grill apart for cleaning, I will do it before putting it all back together.
    Best of both worlds?
    Ron
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 11:39:00 (permalink)
    I think there's a lot of good insight here.

When I think of a really good griddled (flattop) burger I think of the kind from the old drugstore soda fountains, drive-ins and diners of my childhood. Thin, crisped on the outside, not really capable of being cooked rare but juicy inside. Even better on a toasted roll, and deserving of minimal application of standard condiments.

When I think of a grilled burger, I think more of the large (quarter pound +) versions that are more popular now and which hold up to heartier condiments (bacon, blue cheese, you name it).

Of course, there are exceptions. The old enormous Jackson Hole burgers I loved in my 20s were mammoth suckers cooked on a flattop (with a cover), and I still haven't tried it but the very popular R.F. O'Sullivan's in the Boston area takes 20 minutes to cook their giant burgers on the flattop.

I think Brad has a point about "charbroiling" with gas. I have frequented a number of diners and similar places advertising charbroiled burgers which use a gas broiler. Frequently these have an off-smelling grease smoke flavor, good-looking char lines but no crust, and (depending on the meat) a pasty interior. First bite seems good, then the reality hits and it's time for another hit of mustard.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 12:30:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

For me that depends on the burger.

I love a charbroiled burger, but there is something to be said for a diners flat top fried/grilled burger.

juice running down your hands and arms as you try and stuff the thing into your mouth

Rather than post the same answer, I'll just say, "ditto for me".
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 20:29:30 (permalink)
    I do both. Each has it's own merits. If forced to make a choice; then I would say grilled burgers for me; hands down.
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/06 20:55:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by unabashed

Weather ya like it or not (no cool side cooking involved, or that waiting factor)! And don't worry about the juicy factor, it will be there!

have to agree with Vic on this...they cook quick but you gotta keep a eye on them they'll go from med to "garbage' hockey pucks in very little time.
    ron

I prep everything from grill to burgers (handle the patties GENTLY!!!)... I put the burgers on the grill and my Sweetie looks over my shoulder (like a hawk) and tells me when to flip (only flip once) and when to remove them... they are always crusty on the outside (with great grill marks) and juicy and tender on the inside... we make a good team, we do... and always over a HOT fire (hardwood coals)... WATCH THEM CLOSE!!!... I don't like hockey pucks in lieu of good burgers myself...
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/17 20:58:16 (permalink)
    Both are good but I prefer griddle cooked burgers especially when the griddle is used for breakfast and everything else cooked in the joint. The griddle holds all the flavors of onions, peppers, sausage, beef, bacon, butter and so on.

Char broiling will only give you the flavor of the drippings flaring up.
    dotnosalt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/17 21:15:19 (permalink)
    no contest. charbroiled to get that great flavor!
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/18 16:32:43 (permalink)
    Ever cover the burger with a metal bowl when cooking on the griddle? I've seen this done before.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/18 17:00:38 (permalink)

Flame broiled is the only way to go. There are so many reasons for me, as I have done meat in so many ways. I have cooked over gas, wood, and charcoal and there is no comparison. It is all about taste and presentation. I have cooked burgers on a griddle and absolutely hate it.

First off, I love grill marks. Though we are talking hamburgers here, would you want a steak from a griddle? Also you don't mention what you are cooking, but even hotdogs taste better over a flame.
    Clean-up is a breeze, you use a wire brush during and after cooking and you are done.

With a griddle, you get an accumulation of cooked on meat that eventually has to get scoured off during cooking. Those who know will tell you that cleaning a griddle is a real pain in the butt.
    A griddle is great for pancakes, french toast, breakfast potatoes and sandwiches with melted cheese inside. That is about it....

mark

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/18 17:38:13 (permalink)
    Amen Doggydaddy.. Final someone came out of the woodwork telling the truth there! Thanks!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/18 17:52:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hot Dog King

Both are good but I prefer griddle cooked burgers especially when the griddle is used for breakfast and everything else cooked in the joint. The griddle holds all the flavors of onions, peppers, sausage, beef, bacon, butter and so on.

Char broiling will only give you the flavor of the drippings flaring up.

I agree that grilling adds flavor but I have never ever been able to get the tender taste and total flavor that I can with griddle cooking.

As I have posted before, I have fried my burgers in a pan coated with flour, salt and pepper. Browned it and stuck it in the over at 225F for a few hours. Really good taste.

I do not do it like that often as it takes too long. My guest prefer grilling and quite frankly, it is much more fun although the burgers are never as tender but they do have the charcoal taste.

I still recall the drug store taste of the burgers on the grill.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Charbroiled or grilled 2007/09/18 18:34:42 (permalink)
    Paul, I cooked up some pork chops a few minutes ago.. Overpriced Lithium batteries in my camera took a crap, so wasnt able to share.. Not complaining though, had over 750 pics at 7.1 megapixls loaded on that chip, but oh well... Time to invest in another pair of over priced batteries..

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1