Charcoal Broiled Burgers

Author
Purple Haze
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
2006/06/28 22:59:27 (permalink)

Charcoal Broiled Burgers

Do any of you restaurants, vendors, or caterers charcoal broil your burgers? I thought seriously about using that method instead of gas or electric broilers. That backyard taste (minus the lighter fluid flavoring)could be very popular where I am, however, my business senses tell me charcoal is too inefficient to make any money. Does anyone have any experience with this? How would that type of operation work? How does the Weber Grill Restaurant make it work?

Sorry for the inquisition,

George

9 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/06/28 23:22:56 (permalink)
    I've never seen one, but this place does: http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/06/29 06:27:45 (permalink)
    I'm probably one of 10 people in America who has gotten tired of the charcoal taste, whether real, gas or electric. In fact I gave my Webber away last year. My favorite hamburgers are cooked on griddles instead of over coals. I cook steak and hamburgers in a red hot cast iron pan on the stove. I can taste the meat when it's flavor isn't masked by the "charcoal" taste.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3746
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/06/29 07:07:13 (permalink)
    I have eaten at the Weber Grill in Chicago. It seemed a little "kitschy" for me, but the burgers were pretty good. Their premise was that anything can be cooked on a grill - even the bread that they bring to the table. Was just OK.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/06/29 17:40:47 (permalink)
    There is a guy doing barkers on the Big Green Egg over natural hardwood charcoal in my area. I've never had one, but he is doing a big business always a line when I drive by. He is not bashfull with his prices either. I might try one someday to see what the attraction is. But you will never catch me standing in line for a barker. I'll look for his web site and post it here, I posted it once before but damnd if I can remember it. Chow Jim
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/07/07 12:02:38 (permalink)
    ===Sorry for the inquisition,

George===

George,

I would say that if you don't follow up with a reply to the other responses, then you should be sorry.
    One restaurant I worked at used hardwood straight up, no charcoal. It burned pretty hot but was very workable. It was an interesting set-up as it also had a rotisserie that spun chickens, ducks, and what-have-you over the embers and grilling meat. I think that the drippings from above really contributed to the taste of everything.
    Cost out a cord of wood versus bags of charcoal. Throw in wood chips for additional smoky flavor, as I bet those are cheap.

mark
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/07/07 15:25:48 (permalink)
    Bob, I do lots of pan and griddle cooking also, works for me! I soak my steaks and fish in olive oil first, just 30 mins or so.

Doggy, I also love wood for cooking, especially if someone else does it! A friend loves to use Pecan wood. If I was going to cook burgers to sell I think I would use wood, maybe hickory. Just sounds like a good selling tool, and smells good. I have never tried the hardwood charcoal.
    Joe
    Purple Haze
    Junior Burger
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/07/07 15:40:04 (permalink)
    Thank you. All of your responses are very much appreciated. I went to the Weber Grill website and even saw a little spot of them on Food Network. I like the idea of using the ranch grills however, I hadn't even thought of a rotisserie set-up. Was the rotisserie an open or closed unit? Were flare-ups a problem with the hardwood?

Thanks,
    George
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/07/09 06:24:28 (permalink)
    george. i have a huge home-made smoker at my bbq place. when the coals are just right, i will smoke burgers(when ordered) rather than flat top grill them. it has created a monster. folks are calling all the time..."hey, can you smoke me a burger?" yea, they love it that way. (i think that was your original inquest, if any of us smoke/carcoal broil our burgers.)
    i think its pretty close to the same flavor, you would get from a
    stove-top gas charbroiler with lava rock. but thats just me.....
    perhaps its the idea, that folks love about it.
    Purple Haze
    Junior Burger
    RE: Charcoal Broiled Burgers 2006/07/11 13:53:02 (permalink)
    Well, I'm going to give smoked burgers experiment #1 a try this weekend or the next if it rains.

George
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1