Charleston area

Author
familydok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 234
2012/03/13 07:23:31 (permalink)

Charleston area

We drove to Charleston last week-another lovely trip and great eats!!
We usually stop at Gullah's on hwy 17N on our way in-it was great, as usual.  Most folks eat the buffet at lunch, but I decided to order the seafood gumbo.   It did take a rather long time for them to prepare, but well worth it.  It was spicy and full of seafood.
We have eaten at many excellent restaurants in Charleston and try to hit at least a different one each trip.  We tried 3 that were new to us this time.
We had a delightful breakfast at Chucktown Tavern in the downtown area.  They are known for their stuffed hamburgers at lunch.  My husband had a typical breakfast while I chose their shrimp and grits.  I have had this dish many times, but not with an Italian flair!  It was very tasty.  The server was most helpful.
I would certainly recommend that anyone going to Charleston try Husk.  It is not Roadfood but well worth the expense.  The menu changes twice daily  and uses farm grown products, locally when possible.  They have a large board listing what farms the menu items are purchased from.  The menu is unusual!  We also enjoyed Magnolias.  Both of these restaurants are located near the market. 
Charleston is always a great eating town!! 

8 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:Charleston area 2012/08/07 10:18:45 (permalink)
    I had a friend from The Real World (i.e. not part of this community) ask me for some recommendations for Charleston on Twitter. Since Charleston is absolutely one of my favorite towns - especially for Roadfood - I was happy to oblige her request. You can find my choices here: https://twitter.com/YourFoodSherpa

You don't need to have an account to view stuff there - just to make your own comments/Tweets. 
    highcard
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:Charleston area 2012/08/07 13:00:52 (permalink)
    Red's Ice House at Bohicket Marina between Kiawah and Seabrooke has an awesome blackened grouper sandwich.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10515
    Re:Charleston area 2012/08/07 13:06:46 (permalink)
    I have heard nothing but great things about Husk.  That will have to be on the itinerary for the next visit to Charleston.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:Charleston area 2012/08/07 15:15:00 (permalink)
    Be careful. Husk is right next door to 82 Queen. You might go with the best intentions of trying Husk, and then get lured back in to 82 Queen!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10515
    Re:Charleston area 2012/08/07 15:40:53 (permalink)
    TTM-
    Once again, it makes me wish I was twins!
    familydok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re:Charleston area 2012/08/07 15:47:46 (permalink)
    I have eaten at 82nd Queen and it is good, but I would definitely choose Husk if I could only eat at one!!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re:Charleston area 2012/08/07 18:13:06 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    I have heard nothing but great things about Husk.  That will have to be on the itinerary for the next visit to Charleston.

I've not eaten at Husk, but I have eaten Chef Brock's food before and I would recommend it without hesitation.  The tasting menu I had at the Capital Grille in Nashville (where Chef Brock was performing at the time) was hands down the best meal I and my three lucky dinner companions have ever eaten.
    Sue in MtP
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Charleston area 2012/08/11 08:48:10 (permalink)
    I've been to Husk several times and enjoyed it. They've had some bad reviews. I think there was so much hype at first that expectations were high. Last time I was there, I went to look out the back window, where they smoke pig. (The whole street smells like bacon. Yay.) A server was leaning against the wall. I said "Are you ok?" He said "I am TIRED." They were all working long hours.

The porch on the second floor is nice if it's not too hot.

Also, the bar is really neat. It's in a separate building.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1