Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area

Author
mdphilippbar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2011/08/19 11:48:49 (permalink)

Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area

My wife and I are going to the Charlestown Beach area in early September, and would like some ideas for informal dining on lobsters and steamers.

9 Replies Related Threads

Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/08/19 20:53:29 (permalink)
    I think you'll need to drive a little bit, since there's not much of anything in Charlestown itself , although you can get AYCE lobster, prime rib, etc. at the Nordic Lodge (off of Route 2) for $80+/-  pp.

However, in about 20 minutes you could be in Narragansett , to eat at Champlins (you could also try Aunt Carries; great atmosphere, so-so food IMO).   A few minutes more in the opposite direction takes you to Noank, Connecticut for Abbott's.  All are written up here.

My choice would be Abbott's.  It doesn't always get a lot of love on here, but I grew up eating there and to me it's the real deal.  You would also be close to Mystic and all that's there.

There are plenty of good places to eat in neighboring Westerly, but I can't think of a lobster/ steamer type place offhand.
    mdphilippbar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/09/10 20:27:04 (permalink)
    First of all, we would like to thank Paulie for his helpful comments. That being said, for a group of people that seem to have an opinion about the most the most  mundane subjects, whats the matter with Rhode Island? I've asked for advise about Daytona Fla, and received an comment that said that " he didn't like the east coast of Fla. But with R.I. we just received a very helpful commentfvrom Paulie. I consult this website for useful inful, but now I can understand why therre are a lot of haters on the boards.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/09/10 21:33:29 (permalink)
    Maybe not many people know about the area you were asking about. Maybe not many people saw the post and it got buried. That has happened to some of my posts. Maybe you shouldnt bash a site you seek advice from.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/09/11 00:12:49 (permalink)
    mdphilippbar:

It has been probably 25 to 30 years since I have been in Rhode Island.  After that length of time, I wouldn't even want to take my own advice on where to eat. 

I am sorry you have gotten only one helpful response to your request, but even I, who come on Roadfood at least once a day to post Food Recalls (and remove the recalls after 2 weeks have elapsed), do not remember seeing your post, even though I normally check the new posts each time I come on.  What Ann has said about it getting buried before most people saw it may be what happened, though another scenario is also possible.  On August 19, people on the east coast were already becoming concerned about where the track of hurricane Irene would go.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/09/12 20:26:31 (permalink)
    when we used to go to Misquamicut to the beach when we lived in CT. there was a little seafood place on A1A just north of there on a corner.sorry can't remember the name.
    most of the time we went to Point Judith where you catch the ferry to Block Island, theres a bunch of places there.
    sorry I didn't see this post sooner.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/09/17 11:16:35 (permalink)
    mdphilippbar

First of all, we would like to thank Paulie for his helpful comments. That being said, for a group of people that seem to have an opinion about the most the most  mundane subjects, whats the matter with Rhode Island? I've asked for advise about Daytona Fla, and received an comment that said that " he didn't like the east coast of Fla. But with R.I. we just received a very helpful commentfvrom Paulie. I consult this website for useful inful, but now I can understand why therre are a lot of haters on the boards.

Haters? There are also a lot of "takers" here.

I looked through the 9 posts you made since joining in 2007 and found none...none...were a reply to anyone else's question. Like all forums this one depends on people putting in, not just taking out. Seems to me you come here when you are planning a trip, and look for advice, but never take the time to respond to anyone else's questions. I am sure there were many where you could have offered an opinion or insights. 

This resource is only as good as the contributions posters make. If all acted as "mdphilippbar" all we'd have is a series of unanswered questions.

Seems to me the expression "you reap what you sow...or don't sow" is a good explanation for the lack of responses here!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/09/17 16:40:39 (permalink)
    I'm in Rhode Island but Paulie gave you the same response that I would given, so there really wasn't anything else for me to add- besides I'm really not familiar with the Charleston area so I would have been unable to specifically give you advice there.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/09/18 19:30:53 (permalink)
    Tony, I've been noticing that more lately. they just join to ask where to eat and get pissed off when nobody responds.
    it would be nice if they came back & told us if they ate at the places that was  recommended here or any other place they ate.

at LEAST they could say Thank you.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Charlestown Beach Rhode Island area 2011/09/18 20:37:51 (permalink)
    sk bob

Tony, I've been noticing that more lately. they just join to ask where to eat and get pissed off when nobody responds.  Or when someone on here tells them to use the search function, without giving them any assistance at all (even though they are new).

It would be nice if they came back & told us if they ate at the places that was  recommended here or any other place they ate.

at LEAST they could say Thank you.

Many people these days have absolutely no manners.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1