Chasen's Chili

Author
gschwim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
2005/01/06 05:59:47 (permalink)

Chasen's Chili

One would not expect Hollywood to be famous for chili, but the best chili I ever made is this recipe for the chili once served at the famous Chasen's Restaurant, in Hollywood:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/gmeat/chasens-chili-recipe.html

I departed slightly from the recipe and used ground beef and ground pork, and left out the 1/2 cup of butter (seemed like too much cholesterol in these health-conscious times). It tastes different from traditional Texas chili and is delicious.

Finally, you do need to use the pinto beans -- they are essential to the taste -- and, as the recipe specifies, you should use dried beans, not canned, prepared as the recipe dictates.

Delicious! Trust me.

8 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Chasen's Chili 2005/01/06 06:57:26 (permalink)
    I trust you, I trust you. You are right, this is an excellent chili. Next time, I'd add the butter. It really "pops" the flavors, if that's the correct term.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Chasen's Chili 2005/01/07 11:10:36 (permalink)

The Chasen's recipe is one of my favorites too. I like it best when I follow the recipe with no variations. The Gepbhardt's Chili Powder is one of the secrets to it. Serve this stuff with grated cheddar cheese on top and some diced raw onion....man!

Frank
    gschwim
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chasen's Chili 2005/01/07 11:24:13 (permalink)
    Yes, I always top it with chopped onion -- sweet onions, such as vidalia. Sour cream is good on top, too.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Chasen's Chili 2005/01/07 11:28:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gschwim

Yes, I always top it with chopped onion -- sweet onions, such as vidalia. Sour cream is good on top, too.

Where does Gebharts' chili powder originate from? We only have "Mexene", "McCormick" and such. The packet in the Carroll Shelby's is all I'll use, as it's better that anything that's available to me, instore anyway.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    RE: Chasen's Chili 2005/01/07 11:38:12 (permalink)
    Ground meat? Beans? And they call this chili?
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Chasen's Chili 2005/01/07 11:46:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Ground meat? Beans? And they call this chili?

Yep. I put it on top of some cooked fluffy white rice sometimes too.

You can get the Gepbhardt's at http://www.mildbills.com
    (they are really nice people there)

Frank
    gschwim
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chasen's Chili 2005/01/07 12:18:24 (permalink)
    You can buy Gephardt's chili powder at Texmex.net:

http://www.texmex.net/Products/spices.htm#gebhardt

There's a link to an order form at the bottom of the page. I called them on the phone for some chili advice and, I think, ended up ordering over the phone. The guy was very helpful.

To make the shipping charge as cost-effective as possible, I ordered the big, 5lb. size. That was at least two years ago and I still haven't used it up

You'll notice that they have other texmex products, too. At the same time I ordered the Gebhardt's, I also ordered their cumin, liquid smoke and their hamburger seasoning; you mix it with the raw hamburger before grilling. It's delicious.

And... the guy I spoke to on the phone threw in a few free dried ancho chili pods, for free!
    sportfisher
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Chasen's Chili 2005/05/27 13:36:54 (permalink)
    Interesting. I have used that recipe almost unchanged since I received it from KSFO, a radio staion in San Francisco in the '60s. My mimeographed version (remember mimeographs?) called for 1 lb. of peppers, and since it was my first try at chili, I assumed "chili" must use chili peppers and I used 1 lb. of diced jalapeno's. First taste fantastic until the jalapenos got to the back of my tongue. Ouch! I still used jalapeno's, but only about 4-5 and a pound of Green Bell Peppers. I think I have cooked that recipe well over 100 times, and its a family and friends favorite.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1