Chattanooga BBQ

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
2003/05/26 18:46:03 (permalink)

Chattanooga BBQ

If any of you guys are ever in Chattanooga, I would like to introduce you to an institution in the best of BBQ. go to Sunset BBQ on Wilcos. they have been there for 50 years and they do it right. They do not open until the evening, but what the serve you is the best ribs and pork that you can have. I bought their rib sandwich and the taste is flavorable, fresh, moist and delicous. I gaurantee you will like it. They are not a chain, have been in business long enought that they know how to do it and you will like what ever you get.

I will be writing about the current state of Dreamland out of Tuscaloosa in the next few days as I will be there. After that I will be in Springfield, OH, where I am certain BBQ is not in existence and then on to Minneapolis.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

11 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2003/05/26 23:10:13 (permalink)
    not BBQ, but I read about a weekday prix frie lunch at the much accalimed Aquavit in Minneapolis. $10.00. Sounded like a treat
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2003/05/27 08:55:29 (permalink)
    That sounds like a winner. I plan to be driving thru Chattanooga in a few weeks, so if I stop there, I will let you know how it turns out!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2003/05/27 09:02:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

not BBQ, but I read about a weekday prix frie lunch at the much accalimed Aquavit in Minneapolis. $10.00. Sounded like a treat

You are right about the Aquavit not being a BBQ. I was there a few months ago. Real pricey and I sampled several of their aquavit's. It is basically fruit aged in vodka. Food is Swedish I think. Tasty and expensive.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2003/05/27 11:34:41 (permalink)
    in springfield Oh , try Mike and rosies deli on the north side of Wittenberg Univ. campus , homemade soups and chili and they steam your sub nice and warm. Another place in Springfield is the Hickory inn , they have whole wheat crust pizza and a ham sub they call the Hickory Hog , it's smoky inside so I usually get mine to go
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2003/05/27 12:12:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hode

in springfield Oh , try Mike and rosies deli on the north side of Wittenberg Univ. campus , homemade soups and chili and they steam your sub nice and warm. Another place in Springfield is the Hickory inn , they have whole wheat crust pizza and a ham sub they call the Hickory Hog , it's smoky inside so I usually get mine to go

Any other places in Springfield, OH that you know of. Do they have any decent BBQ joints there? I kinda doubt it I am going to be there for several days.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2004/07/21 17:50:36 (permalink)
    Paul,

next trip to Chattanooga, get off I-75 at exit 11 (Ooltewah). 2 suggestions. 1) The Kreme House, on the right as you pass the Burger King. really good roadfood place.
    2) For Q, take a right at the BK and go to Young's BBQ, 2 - 3 miles down the road. They make their own, and it is friendly and has been there a long time.

You'll enjoy one or both.

carl reitz
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2004/07/26 08:03:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Paul,

next trip to Chattanooga, get off I-75 at exit 11 (Ooltewah). 2 suggestions. 1) The Kreme House, on the right as you pass the Burger King. really good roadfood place.
    2) For Q, take a right at the BK and go to Young's BBQ, 2 - 3 miles down the road. They make their own, and it is friendly and has been there a long time.

You'll enjoy one or both.

I think I will try both. I have passed that exit hundres of times and have exited that many many times.

There is one of the greatest private golf courses on this planet there called "The Honors" One of the founders of the Coca Cola original bottlers in Chattanooga who sold his plant back to Coca Cola for close to 1 bil, built the course for his private pleasure.

I will try Youngs as soon as possible.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

carl reitz
    wilewil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2004/07/27 16:27:38 (permalink)
    Did you ever get to try out that place in Cleveland that the owner advertised here some time ago?

Sunset ain't bad, it was generally considered a second rate knockoff of the orignal Sportsman when it opened. Sportsman, later Sweeney's still exists on 58 toward the lake (Harrison), but doesn't seem to be quite the place it once was. Of course it is still in the area of Sportsman's original but is now in about the third location. All within about half a mile or less.

Minneapolis is the home of that great barbq place "Famous Daves" don't ya know!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2004/07/30 13:49:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wilewil

Did you ever get to try out that place in Cleveland that the owner advertised here some time ago?

Sunset ain't bad, it was generally considered a second rate knockoff of the orignal Sportsman when it opened. Sportsman, later Sweeney's still exists on 58 toward the lake (Harrison), but doesn't seem to be quite the place it once was. Of course it is still in the area of Sportsman's original but is now in about the third location. All within about half a mile or less.

Minneapolis is the home of that great barbq place "Famous Daves" don't ya know!

I tried the place in Cleveland and I posted on it but I cannot tell you where it is on the BBQ. It was just average.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wilewil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2004/07/30 15:19:35 (permalink)
    Found it - Thanks

Guess I'll stick to Sunset or Sweeney's
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Chattanooga BBQ 2004/08/08 23:11:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by bill voss

You are right about the Aquavit not being a BBQ. I was there a few months ago. Real pricey and I sampled several of their aquavit's. It is basically fruit aged in vodka. Food is Swedish I think. Tasty and expensive.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Does Ikea make Aquavit?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1