Cheap French Fries

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18257
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 15:49:21 (permalink)
You just put stress in mine by talking about catsup on fries. If I have to eat fries I want vinegar on them.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13475
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 15:55:06 (permalink)
I have experienced very good Frites in Europe where you do not have to put anything on them to enjoy the pleasure of good frites.

I will admit that in the US, ketchup is necessary to enhance the flavor but not with the frites in Europe.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3435
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 16:49:58 (permalink)
OK, so apparently I've stepped on some toes. That happens.

What I mean is, many restaurants know that no one eats there because of their french fries. They are a side that people have come to expect, and so they serve them, but not something you go out of your way to eat. Around here, there are several places that instead serve home-made potato chips with their burgers and sandwiches, and you have to order fries if you want them. Obviously that is not the same in other places, nor is it industry standard. Obviously many restaurants do make fries a priority, and more power to them! If I want fries, they are generally where I choose to eat. But I usually don't want fries, and consider them filler in case the burger (or whatever) doesn't assuage my hunger.

As to the comment about other unappetizing sides, I don't get it. What's wrong with serving something else, like onion rings (LOTS of hand-dipped, thick-cut onion rings to be had around here), deep fried mushrooms (zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, pickles), or (gasp) fresh fruit or vegetables? Just because a restaurant doesn't serve premium fries does not mean they don't have other appetizing options.
post edited by felix4067 - 2011/05/20 16:51:36
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13475
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 16:55:24 (permalink)
Folks go where they wannago and their vote either votes the establishmen in or out.  If it tastegood, it is in and if not, outta there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6171
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 17:23:40 (permalink)
Holly Moore

French fries have a relatively low food cost.  Fresh cut - even lower though they are labor intensive. A savvy restaurateur wants to sell as many order fries as he can. Nothing like building check average with a high profit side dish.

Great fresh cut fries can also be a traffic builder.  People will go out of the way for outstanding fries.  They are also a point of difference.  Two comparable burger places doing great burger. One uses frozen fries, one twice fried fresh cut fries.  An easy choice.

Amen!

chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 17:27:20 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

You just put stress in mine by talking about catsup on fries. If I have to eat fries I want vinegar on them.

Michael, come on down, I have 2 kinds, Malt and Eastern Carolina Vinegar sauce, I call it our "Yikes" sauce!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 17:30:40 (permalink)

I like malt vinegar, but your other sounds interesting.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7761
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 17:36:52 (permalink)
Yikes!

chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 17:37:04 (permalink)
Sundancer7

I have experienced very good Frites in Europe where you do not have to put anything on them to enjoy the pleasure of good frites.

I will admit that in the US, ketchup is necessary to enhance the flavor but not with the frites in Europe.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, many places in Europ French Fry, twice, in Duck fat, this is especially true in Belgium. Duck fat is very expensive, but adds a great taste!
post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/05/20 17:59:39
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7761
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 17:43:52 (permalink)
I think I'd really like the garlic fries.

Would it be wrong to use a fork?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 17:47:08 (permalink)
What's the matter? Don't you like to touch your food after it's been cooked, either?
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 17:57:56 (permalink)
felix4067

What I mean is, many restaurants know that no one eats there because of their french fries. They are a side that people have come to expect, and so they serve them, but not something you go out of your way to eat. Around here, there are several places that instead serve home-made potato chips with their burgers and sandwiches, and you have to order fries if you want them. Obviously that is not the same in other places, nor is it industry standard. Obviously many restaurants do make fries a priority, and more power to them! If I want fries, they are generally where I choose to eat. But I usually don't want fries, and consider them filler in case the burger (or whatever) doesn't assuage my hunger.

As to the comment about other unappetizing sides, I don't get it. What's wrong with serving something else, like onion rings (LOTS of hand-dipped, thick-cut onion rings to be had around here), deep fried mushrooms (zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, pickles), or (gasp) fresh fruit or vegetables? Just because a restaurant doesn't serve premium fries does not mean they don't have other appetizing options.

Fries are served because they are inexpensive, as are homemade chips! I've never been to a place that serves a basket of O rings with a burger, at no extra charge. Most places serve FF or chips because their burgers are a 1/4 lb., that usually isn't goimg to fill most people up. I serve a 1/2 lb. locally raised, hand pattied, 80/20, burger on a 5" toasted roll, with a heap of twice fried hand cut fries, for $7.49, it' a darn good price, never had someone order a second one cause they were still hungary!

chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 18:02:12 (permalink)
mar52

I think I'd really like the garlic fries.

Would it be wrong to use a fork?

No Mar, you can use anything you want, here, including both hands!

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 18:04:28 (permalink)
Hey Chewy,  that is exactly how I want my burger.  Well, almost, instead of hand pattied, I would go with...gently fondled" />
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 18:04:57 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

What's the matter? Don't you like to touch your food after it's been cooked, either?

Does this mean you are a knife and fork, Fried Chicken fan...Oh, that's right, you don't like Fried Chicken!
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 18:09:02 (permalink)
joerogo

Hey Chewy,  that is exactly how I want my burger.  Well, almost, instead of hand pattied, I would go with...gently fondled" />

I have one of my prep cooks, a nice looking young lady, whose job it is to fondle the meat, your in luck Joe!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 19:05:06 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Does this mean you are a knife and fork, Fried Chicken fan...Oh, that's right, you don't like Fried Chicken!

Right. I don't care for fried chicken. But if I actually had to eat some I'd either use a knife and fork or tear bites off with my hands. As to your fries with all that disgusting garlic, parsley and olive oil, I think I'd pass on vinegars or sauces and just consume about a ton as they sit looking inviting.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 19:10:58 (permalink)
I guess for me, fries are not a draw at all at a restaurant. If they are good, than thats a bonus.I actually try and order something else as a side if offered. However, there is ONE place I have to get steak fries.Its a great supper club called the 5 O'Clock Club in a seedy part of downtown Milw. Best steak fries, ever.
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 23:10:29 (permalink)
I just don't get that excited over fries one way or another. Give me sweet potato fries, home made potato chips, hash browns or home fries and I'll be happy.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10080
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/21 01:42:35 (permalink)
chewingthefat
Sundancer7
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, many places in Europe French Fry, twice, in Duck fat, this is especially true in Belgium. Duck fat is very expensive, but adds a great taste!

That's what I'm talkin' about. It's not the potatoes, fresh or frozen, it's the liquid they're cooked in that adds the flavor. Duck fat and LARD reign supreme! The idiots who said no more Trans Fats and saturated fats killed the taste of french fries. McDonalds used to have great tasting fries until the Federal Food Control Nazi's said you can't use lard and other good flavoring oils to cook them anymore
As a result, we may live longer having to eat tasteless fries! Give up great taste, live 2 weeks longer! GEEEEEZ!
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 622
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/24 06:20:32 (permalink)
Eh, fries to me is like pizza. Even bad pizza is still alright. I've never wanted to go to a place just for their fries.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/24 08:20:47 (permalink)
I love well-made freedom fries.  Great ones are a destination food for me.  I wanted to eat at Hollywood Fries when I went to California the other year, but they went out of business. I hope to get to Pommes Frites in New York City next month.

Frozen fries can be adequate, if they are properly fried, at the right temperature and for the right length of time.  One place in town here even twice-fries frozen fries.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/24 17:54:29 (permalink)
There is a place in Ocean City Maryland, and Rehobeth Beach Deleware, called Thrashers Boardwalk Fries, the only thing they sell are french fries, they sell zillions of them. They are exactly what I serve here, ie. prepared the same way, blanched about 4 minutes at 335, then cooled, then finished at 375. In the sommer the lines for Thrashers are long from open to close. They may have franchises by now, I don't know, they might fry in peanut oil, I don't, too many people with peanut allergies, as I do other goodies in my fryers. Once you've tasted a Thrashers fry, or hopefully mine, you get an aha moment and realize what you've been missing!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/24 19:55:42 (permalink)
What I like best is that they do not serve ketchup.............it is vinegar or nothing!
gregys
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/24 22:08:20 (permalink)
I like making my frozen fries, tots, at home in my turbo oven. Come out very good. I like them at breakfast, a little cut tomatoes, bacon, eggs, pancakes, yum.

I'll eat mcdonalds stuff any time I'm hungry and never upset my stomach while traveling.
I prefer Wendy's fries because they don't oversalt, and give you the salt shaker.

Real potatoes make the best, not manufactured.

As macdonalds Learned from the get go, never wrap anything up in aluminum foil or insulated containers, unless it's pasta. If you use aluminum, use perforated. We don't want mush, same with hoagies.

Greg
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/24 22:15:59 (permalink)
I like ketchup on fries. What I found out is, use no salt ketchup. It tastes better.
next time you shop try some no salt ketchup. It tastes more tomato'y.

I always like mustard with my fries.

I also like horseradish in there somewhere.

You like vinegar, I do, try Scotts BBQ sauce too.

Sometimes I add my habanero pepper to the ketchup.

But never use KETCUP on hot dogs!!!!

Greg
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/24 22:26:26 (permalink)
I ate there, almost forgot. Great. I also think Hard Time Cafe make them the same way, but might add a little spice.

Thrashers OC Md.

Greg
post edited by gregys - 2011/05/24 22:27:38
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/25 07:07:29 (permalink)
chewingthefat

felix4067

Fries are served because they are inexpensive, as are homemade chips! I've never been to a place that serves a basket of O rings with a burger, at no extra charge. Most places serve FF or chips because their burgers are a 1/4 lb., that usually isn't goimg to fill most people up. I serve a 1/2 lb. locally raised, hand pattied, 80/20, burger on a 5" toasted roll, with a heap of twice fried hand cut fries, for $7.49, it' a darn good price, never had someone order a second one cause they were still hungary!

Hey Fat...

Didn't you used to serve homemade chips as well?

I distinctly remember having homemade chips at your joint several times.....I think you even put them in a little baggie to keep them fresh.

Nice and brown, salty and crispy...great with a beer.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/25 11:12:26 (permalink)
rebeltruce

chewingthefat

felix4067

Hey Fat...

Didn't you used to serve homemade chips as well?

I distinctly remember having homemade chips at your joint several times.....I think you even put them in a little baggie to keep them fresh.

Nice and brown, salty and crispy...great with a beer.

Rebel, yes indeed I did, I was able to buy the raw sliced chips from a local distributor, we called them "Frips" as in fried chips, after a time I could no longer get them and hand slicing them is out of the question for my place. We seasoned them in salt pepper and granulated garlic, they were really popular, sorry they went off the market, our Boardwalk fries equally as popular!

eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 639
Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/25 11:55:00 (permalink)
Greymo

What I like best is that they do not serve ketchup.............it is vinegar or nothing!
Thrasher's makes excellent fries. The only problem is the vinegar they serve is not malt vinegar, it's either white or apple cider. 

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1