Cheap French Fries

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/05/19 12:38:10 (permalink)

Cheap French Fries

Any restaurant that serves the bottom of the barrel cheap crinkle cut french fries or those nasty smooth cut frozen fries that are not only flavorless but lack any personality, is sure to fill out their entire menu with cheap crap, it ain't food, it's filler. Agree or disagree?

62 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 12:51:03 (permalink)
    Disagree.

I've eaten at places where the fries were kind of an afterthought while the focus was on the entrees, and I'm OK with that.  Some restaurants don't have the time and staff to be able to give hands-on attention to the entire menu, so give me a great burger or dog and ordinary fries instead of the opposite.

And to be honest, I'd rather have a crispy golden food service frozen fry than a bad handcut fry.

Brad
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2011/05/19 14:35:03
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1006
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 13:21:50 (permalink)
    I agree with Brad that a cheap frozen fry is better than a bad handcut fry.
    Although, in my experience, the places with bad fries, either frozen or fresh, weren't that good in any other category either. I guess it just depends on the place. How's that for a vague answer?
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 13:25:44 (permalink)
    I look at it differently - I can never understand why places go all out to serve a great hamburger - grind their own beef, bake the buns, blend ketchup, etc - and then cop out with blah frozen fries.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 14:12:08 (permalink)
    Can't stand frozen fries---little sticks with no taste. I agree completely with Holly Moore formerly known as Holly Golightly.
    Cheap fries belong in McDonalds.  Yuk.
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 16:28:57 (permalink)
    When given the choice, I prefer the box the hamburger came in vs. any frozen potato product.
    While really bad "fresh" cuts can be worse than frozen, no frozen can ever be as good as a good fresh cut.

That said, I've been seeing places claiming to serve "fresh cut" that had no resemblance  to true fresh cut (on the premises) fries.  I'm guessing they are stretching the term to mean the potato was freshly cut  ....... somewhere / some time prior to frying (months?).   

I'm convinced "fresh cut" in many places does NOT necessarily mean freshly cut on the premises. 
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3482
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 17:17:43 (permalink)
    Fries are definitely a draw, but I won't stay away from somewhere with a good burger on the basis of bad fries. Instead, I choose a different side order.

In my experience, whether or not the fries are bad does not in any way relate to the quality of the rest of the food. I've been to places with the best burgers ever that I swear are serving Ore-Ida crinkle-cut fries, and I've been to places with horrific burgers that are serving what I usually refer to as "crack fries" for their addictive nature. I'm not overly concerned with whether or not they're frozen, unless they've been in the freezer too long. As mentioned above, I would far rather eat a frozen fry than a badly-done hand-cut fry.
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 17:18:31 (permalink)
    I love French Fries. Have my whole life. I love fresh cut fries and am not happy with frozen ones. But to say that "Any restaurant that serves the bottom of the barrel cheap crinkle cut french fries or those nasty smooth cut frozen fries that are not only flavorless but lack any personality, is sure to fill out their entire menu with cheap crap, it ain't food, it's filler" is absurd. As noted, for whatever reasons some restaurants have great burgers and other food and frozen fries So no it isn't true that the rest of their menus are frozen crap. Simply not true. And yes its food not filler. Maybe not good food.
    Anymore than anyone could say your BBQ isn't good because some ingredients on your menu aren't world class...
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2374
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 18:24:31 (permalink)
    FRies are not cheap any more, we use a good quality frozen battered fry, the people love them, so do I. They are crispy and meaty......Thats all I ask.......................pnwc
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 22:50:52 (permalink)
    maybe it's been too long since I've had "good" fries that I just don't recognize one when I taste. Or maybe fries just aren't that important too me. I generally will order something else if available as a side.
    I think the original poster's statement about the quality of the rest of the menu being somehow tied to the fries they serve is quite a stretch.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1087
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 23:06:09 (permalink)
    I'll give you an example of when I prefer not to have the fresh cut fries - for carryout or delivery.  I have almost never gotten an order of fresh cut fries home that were even close to good.  Especially when places insist on putting them in styrofoam containers. 

Conversely, when I was in Chicago last month, we ordered cheeseburgers and truffle fries from Rockit to be delivered and I'm pretty sure they were frozen.  They were also excellent and crispy.  Not sure I tasted any truffle but still hit the spot after a night out.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8334
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 23:37:09 (permalink)
    I absolutely love crinkle cut fries. I dont know why.I dont care if they are frozen and then served deep fried.As long as they are served fresh/fried.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18385
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/19 23:38:53 (permalink)
    This thread is making me glad I don't like French fries.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 03:49:33 (permalink)
    There are so many variations to French fries.  My pharma job use to require me to be in Europe several times a year and I really enjoyed the "frites" in Belgium, Germany and other countries over there.  I have found similar "frites" in eastern Canada around Montreal.  I think they may be twice fried although I am not sure but they sure did taste very good.

French fries in the USA are just sorta good when you compare them.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 08:30:57 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

This thread is making me glad I don't like French fries.

Absolutely!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 08:41:50 (permalink)
    I am not a Fry-Guy, but I couldn't keep my hands off these garlic fries from Chubby's

If I am going to eat massive amounts of carb's, they better be good.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 09:09:38 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

FRies are not cheap any more, we use a good quality frozen battered fry, the people love them, so do I. They are crispy and meaty......Thats all I ask.......................pnwc

I hate battered fries!
    edwmax
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 09:32:26 (permalink)
    An Idaho potato is an Idaho potato.    ... So assuming we are comparing frozen potato to frozen potato and their price; the higher price frozen french fry will be because of BRAND Name, regular & even sizing.   ... The cheaper fries are the production over runs, irregular culls and broken fries that results from production of the Brand Name frozen fries.  They are the same quality potato otherwise.  A plant goes though allot of potatoes to produce the Brand Name frozen fries to meet the Brands specifications.

Now the quality of the frozen fries comes down to additives (if any) and how long the fries have been frozen before use. Look at the packaging for manufacture date, use by date and if additives have been used.   ....
    post edited by edwmax - 2011/05/20 09:39:58
    edwmax
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 09:43:14 (permalink)
    joerogo

I am not a Fry-Guy, but I couldn't keep my hands off these garlic fries from Chubby's

These look greasy to me.   It might be more reflecting light than grease, but still look greasy.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 09:55:02 (permalink)
    edwmax, That's olive oil you see glistening.....delicous!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 12:10:45 (permalink)
    edwmax

joerogo

These look greasy to me.   It might be more reflecting light than grease, but still look greasy.

They may LOOK greasy, they aren't, it's fresh chopped garlic in EVOO and parsley, the olive oil makes the garlic adhere better to the fries.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 12:20:04 (permalink)
    ces1948

maybe it's been too long since I've had "good" fries that I just don't recognize one when I taste. Or maybe fries just aren't that important too me. I generally will order something else if available as a side.
    I think the original poster's statement about the quality of the rest of the menu being somehow tied to the fries they serve is quite a stretch.

I don't think it's a stretch at all, restaurants who go cheap on something as popular as french fries, go cheap on everything else, and you probably haven't had a good FF in a long time as unlike myself, the majority of Roadfood places don't want to spend the time cutting, soaking, then twice frying their FF, I have yet to eat at a place anywhere near here that does, except, gulp, 5 Guys!

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 12:28:36 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

ces1948

I don't think it's a stretch at all, restaurants who go cheap on something as popular as french fries, go cheap on everything else, and you probably haven't had a good FF in a long time as unlike myself, the majority of Roadfood places don't want to spend the time cutting, soaking, then twice frying their FF, I have yet to eat at a place anywhere near here that does, except, gulp, 5 Guys!

I appreciate the effort you have shown and indicated on producing a quality product.  I realize that it requiresd a effort on producing fries that are quality.  Twice fried are by far the best.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3482
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 12:41:13 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

ces1948

I've never had twice-fried fries (to my knowledge), but I have to disagree that going cheap on fries automatically means everything else on the menu is cheap. Much like when I cook at home, one of the sides often suffers in favour of spending more time making a fabulous entree, or specializing in a really good side that is something other than fries. Many places look at fries as a necessary evil rather than something to make an effort to produce.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2374
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 13:08:10 (permalink)
    I think Chewy is right, make the fries just as important as the burger. If they serve a cheap fry most likely they are serving other thing that aren't up to par...............Start with quality, end with quality.........
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 13:08:35 (permalink)
    felix4067

chewingthefat

ces1948

I've never had twice-fried fries (to my knowledge), but I have to disagree that going cheap on fries automatically means everything else on the menu is cheap. Much like when I cook at home, one of the sides often suffers in favour of spending more time making a fabulous entree, or specializing in a really good side that is something other than fries. Many places look at fries as a necessary evil rather than something to make an effort to produce.

You gotta do want you wanta do.  Enjoy

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 13:09:30 (permalink)
    felix4067

chewingthefat

ces1948

Felix, with all due respect, your last sentence makes absolutely no sence, FF a necessary evil? How about their other sides, gummy mashed potatoes? canned baked beans, thin flavorless gravy?? Any restaurant owner who looks at ANY item on his menu as a necessary evil, therefore makes no effort to serve a quality memorable dish, ain't gonna be around very long.

Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 15:00:15 (permalink)
    French fries have a relatively low food cost.  Fresh cut - even lower though they are labor intensive. A savvy restaurateur wants to sell as many order fries as he can. Nothing like building check average with a high profit side dish.

Great fresh cut fries can also be a traffic builder.  People will go out of the way for outstanding fries.  They are also a point of difference.  Two comparable burger places doing great burger. One uses frozen fries, one twice fried fresh cut fries.  An easy choice.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 15:17:31 (permalink)
    Very good point Holly and I agree.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:Cheap French Fries 2011/05/20 15:24:17 (permalink)
    Load them up with Ketchup and that'll kill the taste of good or bad fries so you don't need to think about this perplexing problem!
    Rule # 67 for how to remove stress from your life!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1