Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze

Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2008/02/12 16:01:33 (permalink)

Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze

I am sure we all have a low priced brand of liquor we hide in our liquor cabinet when we dont want to crack open the good stuff. Or it brings back memories of our youth. Maybe it is the same brand you used to steal a nip from when young from your Fathers stash. I used to steal his Gilbeys Gin. I found out at a young age that the Booths brand was worse. I still drink Gilbeys today I think it makes the best Gin and Tonic. I also always have a bottle of JTS Brown I keep on hand in Tribute to my favorite movie The Hustler. When I was of age it was the first whiskey I ever bought.

My Three Are:

JTS BROWN
Gilbeys Gin
Rich & Rare Canadian Whiskey

Every now and then I bring home a bottle of Strawberry Hill and drink it with my wife of 26 years and remember the early years when money was tough to come by. It still tastes great with Ramen Noodles.....Russ

15 Replies Related Threads

CamSkaterUNC
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 16:05:21 (permalink)
    Growing up, my dad always had several bottles of Crown Royal nestled into the top of his bar. But he never drank it. It was more for show I guess. Instead, he would buy a ton of Canadian Mist and shoot shots of that every now and then. I have to say that was the worst nip off any bottle in my dad's bar I ever filched. Cheers.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 16:33:38 (permalink)
    Russ, I started drinking JST Brown the same way. Maybe it's an aquired taste but I will pass up Jack for JTS. And Russ, whats your high run at Streight Pool? Oh, JTS was mentioned, and sipped by Mr. Phelson, in "The Color of Money" also.

Crown... play Misty for me, when I'm in the mood for a Canadian blended wiskey. I kinda love to gamble and have won many bets from folks that thought they could tell the difference, when mixed that is. Anyone think they can?

Rich and Rare, I need to try that one.

Now for a cheep single malt, anyone???

Shoot, this is makin me thirsty!
    Joe

Oh, thanks for starting this thread Russ!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 16:36:10 (permalink)

Barton's makes an inexpensive Bourbon. It is pretty good and makes very nice juleps. Heaven's Hill is another brand of Kentucky Bourbon that sells for about half the price of the "premium" brands. It too is fine when used with mixers.

Most Schnapp's is sold in flavored versions and on the bargain shelves, so it qualifies as the universal bargain drink on my list.

divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 16:38:41 (permalink)
    Popov for vodka in college.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 16:43:44 (permalink)
    Al, JTS and Heaven Hill are kissin cousins. Compare the bottles. I can tell the difference though, but just barly, kinda like love and lust.
    Joe
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 16:47:09 (permalink)
    Evan Williams. Cheap, does the trick. Tastes the same as Jack or Beam when a mixer, like Diet Coke, is added.

The Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, 1789, etc., stays safe from me when there aren't visitors, as does my Scotch.

My local liquor store, Pearsons, has several spirits bottled with their store label. I have been known to buy them. They're actually not as bad as the bottom shelfers.

essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 18:22:18 (permalink)
    Jim Beam is the finest cheap liquor known to man.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 18:38:39 (permalink)
    Wow ... what a topic ...

Before I was LDA, I had a decent job and was making decent money [in retrospect, for those days] and the ritual was that I would pay the older kid at work to buy me some "wine" ... all the others were asking for Boone's Farm or Ripple ... so, so did I.

Years went by ... Ripple/Boone's/Ripple/Boone's/Ripple/Boone's/Ripple/Boone's/Ripple/Boone's/Ripple/Boone's/
    Ripple/Boone's/Ripple/Boone's/Ripple/Boone's/ ... etc.

So, I grow up ... I am allowed into the store myself and was ASTONISHED to see that there was such a thing as GOOD WINE !!! ... Good wine that I could have afforded !!!

Meanwhile at age 53, I have to admit that I only discoved good beer when I went to UK 7 or 8 years ago !!!

... Someday ask me about the time I snuck gin out of my parent's house and wound up at the Kelly Lane School.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 18:45:22 (permalink)
    Essvee, where did all your posts go? Jim is an expensive wiskey in my neighborhood.

Any one know a good cheep sour mash bourbon? Hmmm, what is sour mash anyway? It just sounds good.
    Joe
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5207
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 20:54:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Evan Williams. Cheap, does the trick. Tastes the same as Jack or Beam when a mixer, like Diet Coke, is added.

Ezra Brooks is about the same and reasonably priced. Evan Williams used to be 90 proof but dropped to 80 (around here) a few years back.

Joe, IIRC "sour" means that a sample of the previous mix was used as a base for the current mix. "Sour mash" means that a previous mash was used to trigger the fermentation of the the current mash and subsequent distillation; "sour dough" is a similar concept when it comes to bread. But my memory might be faulty.

Ten High is a pretty decent affordable straight whiskey. My parents always had a bottle on the shelf...so it was always my first target when on a raid.

When I was in college in Iowa in the '80s liquor was still controlled and sold by the State Liquor Board. The name brands were sold as well as the knockoffs like "Southern Host" (apparently as a freshman I behaved very badly due to its influence) and all kinds of products from Schranck's out of Chicago.

Brad
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 22:31:04 (permalink)
    This topic caused me to look up on the Internet whatever became of Publicker Industries of Philadelphia, PA.

Over three decades ago, I was stationed at an Air Force base in Europe. We had a store on base (called a Class VI) that sold rationed tax-free wine and liquor. The merchandise consisted of a mix of European-sourced famous wines and liquors, major US brands of wine and liquor including Ernesto and Julio's Ripple from the "compound" in Modesto, and some "cheap booze" with names I never heard of before. A lot of the booze had the names of mox-nix distilleries in Philadelphia on the bottle. But, the cardboard boxes it came in all had the following information on a shipping label - Contractor: Publicker Industries, Philadelphia, PA. I did not get the warm and fuzzies from this, because all over the air base were empty 55 gallons drums of denatured deicing fluid. These drums also were labeled - Contractor: Publicker Industries, Philadelphia, PA.

I skimmed a couple of good articles on the 'Net discussing Pubicker, including the fact that the plant site was a Superfund clean-up site. Now, I am going back to reading them.
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/12 23:28:07 (permalink)
    For me,cheap booze will always equal "Old Mr Boston".Nobody else had a full spectrum of schlock liquor,from Sloe Gin to Ginger Brandy.
    It sucked,but it did the job.Rest easy,Mr boston.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/13 13:27:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Brad! This thread has prompted me to be adventurous. I bought a bottle of;

Henry McKenna
    Sour Mash Straight Bourbon Wiskey
    Kentucky's finest table wiskey since 1855
    80 proof, Distelled by H. McKenna distillery, Bardstown, Ky.

$17.99 for, hmm, dosen't say how much is in the bottle, but it's a quart, and the bottle is glass. Hey, I like it! It's 1/4 gone. Is that tooo much to drink in one night?

Russ, shoot, I wish I had kept a glass bottle of JTS Brown. All the bottles I can find now are plastic.
    Joe
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 861
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/16 13:20:45 (permalink)
    Evan Williams, Ezra Brooks, Grants scotch, White Horse
    Leania_1stone
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Cheap Whiskey, Gin, Booooze 2008/02/16 13:38:48 (permalink)
    I keep a bottle of boones farm tucked in the back of the fridge....it's the first type of alcohol my dad let me have as a teenager he would buy me that and wine coolers LOL He started doing that when I was......15ish he said he'd rather have me drink at home than out at a party
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1