Cheap beer

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
2005/08/20 14:28:22 (permalink)

Cheap beer

Just a periodic update on the insanity of NYC.

One of my kids went to Pentop, the rooftop bar at the Peninsula Hotel on Fifth and 55th.

He was with two friends. Their consumption, in its entirety, was: two bottles of Bud, two bottles of Coors Light, and two vodka tonics.

The check, after tax but before tip: $99.00. I kid you not.

Not a bad profit margin when you can get $13.00 for a bottle of domestic beer and, I guess, about $17.00 for a cocktail.

64 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18889
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 14:54:27 (permalink)
    I take it they don't serve any short beers for a nickel a pop.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:17:08 (permalink)
    I wouldn't blame this on NYC. Peninsula hotels ( http://www.peninsula.com/index.html ) are pretty much known to be among the best, but most expensive, in the world. You want a cheap beer? Go to a corner bar. That's where NYC should shine. Any big city has lots of cheap dives. NYC, being the biggest, should have the most.

The Pen-Top: does not look like a place I'd go for a cheap beer.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:21:46 (permalink)
    Jeez, and I never would have thought of that. I mean, how about a little understanding of irony or sarcasm?

Of course, the logic is faulty as well. Real estate prices and gentrification have all but eliminated the cheap bars of old in Manhattan. Newly-built penthouses, tacked on above old tenements on the Bowery, are being sold for $3 million.

Cheap beer: go to Costco, load up the fridge, and knock yourself out.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:27:45 (permalink)

Scallion,
    Your last suggestion is just what I think I'll do next weekend. Only I will not only do Costco, but Jungle Jims as well. And may have more than the Fridge can hold, so the Garage fridge will get a capacity load as well. Now to find that 5 gallon wine box and a straw !!
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:30:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Scallion,
    Your last suggestion is just what I think I'll do next weekend. Only I will not only do Costco, but Jungle Jims as well. And may have more than the Fridge can hold, so the Garage fridge will get a capacity load as well. Now to find that 5 gallon wine box and a straw !!

Maybe you can find a cheddar-scented Flavor Straw.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:32:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

I wouldn't blame this on NYC. Peninsula hotels ( http://www.peninsula.com/index.html ) are pretty much known to be among the best, but most expensive, in the world. You want a cheap beer? Go to a corner bar. That's where NYC should shine. Any big city has lots of cheap dives. NYC, being the biggest, should have the most.

The Pen-Top: does not look like a place I'd go for a cheap beer.

Right. I wouldn't go there for a cheap beer, my kid wouldn't go there for a cheap beer, and neither of us would think about it being a place for a cheap beer. The POINT was that you'd EXPECT high prices at the Pentop, but that $13 for a bottle of Bud is just over the top.

Whew.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:33:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

Jeez, and I never would have thought of that. I mean, how about a little understanding of irony or sarcasm?

Of course, the logic is faulty as well. Real estate prices and gentrification have all but eliminated the cheap bars of old in Manhattan. Newly-built penthouses, tacked on above old tenements on the Bowery, are being sold for $3 million.

Or move to some other city. Here in SF, we've still got lots of cheap bars. Somehow, I bet NYC does too, though--maybe in Queens or Staten Island.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:35:44 (permalink)
    quote:

The POINT was that you'd EXPECT high prices at the Pentop, but that $13 for a bottle of Bud is just over the top.

I got the point. My point was I personally wouldn't have been surprised their prices would be "over the top".
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:37:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Or move to some other city. Here in SF, we've still got lots of cheap bars. Somehow, I bet NYC does too, though--maybe in Queens or Staten Island.
    [/quote

Thanks. I'm born and raised here, but next time I want to know something, I'll be sure to ask someone from San Francisco.

I'm sorry I even started this thread.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 15:53:53 (permalink)

Relax,
    Sit down here and pop the top on that Costcutter generic beer. Yeah it's warm, but what the heck, the heat will kill the yeast growing in it !!
    Better yet,
    Knob Creek and Mountain Dew, anyone? For $99.00 including Tax but not tip, I'll send along a 5th of Kentucky's finest and a case of Dew. That should last an evening for 3 young city boys !
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 16:04:27 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks. I'm born and raised here, but next time I want to know something, I'll be sure to ask someone from San Francisco.

Last time I was in New York a couple years ago, I met a lot of friendly people. It surprised me because, of course, NYC has a reputation and I have not-so-friendly personal memories from decades ago. Now I am being reminded of what Jerry Ford had in mind.

What, exactly, has got your knickers in such a twist? Talk about being humor and irony challenged . . . .
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 16:27:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

Last time I was in New York a couple years ago, I met a lot of friendly people. It surprised me because, of course, NYC has a reputation and I have not-so-friendly personal memories from decades ago. Now I am being reminded of what Jerry Ford had in mind.

What, exactly, has got your knickers in such a twist? Talk about being humor and irony challenged . . . .

Maybe when your frame of reference is Jerry Ford, it's natural to have problems understanding the nuances of language.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 16:42:53 (permalink)
    quote:

Maybe when your frame of reference is Jerry Ford, it's natural to have problems understanding the nuances of language.

I think this thread needs CPR. It's author has nothing to add but simple-minded personal attack, so I'll simply ask him what sort of response he (or she--I haven't checked) would have preferred from us peasants in the provinces (or aren't we allowed to participate in the NYC discussions?).

I'll also ask any other New Yorker's looking in: Is he right? No place left but CostCo to get a cheap beer in NYC?
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 16:57:33 (permalink)
    1. It's got nothing to do with the provinces, and SF is my favorite American city after my home town.

2. I never said that Costco was the only place to get cheap beer.

3. I never said that my son went to Pentop expecting it to be cheap. He's probably been around the restaurants and watering holes of NYC as much as anyone his age. And the money isn't a problem. He dropped $400 the night before at an Italian restaurant.

4. That's my point. See if you can understand it. KNOWING that Pentop would be ridiculously expensive, but having gone there because it's near his office, he STILL was surprised. You can get a bottle of Bud for $7 or $8 almost anywhere in Manhattan. But KNOWING that it would be expensive, he was surprised to see that it cost almost twice as much as he thought it might be. He didn't care, it was just a curiousity.

5. I'm done. Babble on if you wish.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 16:58:20 (permalink)
    4 beers and two drinks for $99! only one possible explansion for that--GREED and a feeling of superiority and any bar ANYWHERE that thinks that price is fair for THAT product is sufferring from delusions of granduer! On the other hand---what ever posssed them to order Bud or worse yet-COORS!!?? in a place like that--if im gonna get screwed on the bar tab the least i could do is drink a fine rare single malt!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 17:08:31 (permalink)

I will interrupt the flaming to point out that Costco beer is not necessairly a bargain priced item. WalMart beats them hands down on 90% or better of their Beer prices. Now wine is a different matter.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 17:13:58 (permalink)
    quote:

SF is my favorite American city after my home town.

Then you have better taste than I suspected

quote:
    my son went to Pentop expecting it to be cheap. He's probably been around the restaurants and watering holes of NYC as much as anyone his age. And the money isn't a problem. He dropped $400 the night before at an Italian restaurant.

Ah! An affluent son is a blessing.

quote:
    4. That's my point. See if you can understand it. KNOWING that Pentop would be ridiculously expensive, but having gone there because it's near his office, he STILL was surprised.

I'll try. Really, I will. It's difficult, but I will.

quote:
    5. I'm done. Babble on if you wish.

Thanks. With your permission then . . . .
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 17:16:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I will interrupt the flaming to point out that Costco beer is not necessairly a bargain priced item. WalMart beats them hands down on 90% or better of their Beer prices. Now wine is a different matter.

Having been given permission to speak, I'll add that I recently read that Wal-Mart is in talks with Diageo (world's largest booze maker) to greatly expand their offerings in the alcohol department. They see it as a new profit center.
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 17:31:13 (permalink)
    That's good because my little neck of the woods just voted to go "wet". Ah, the last vestiges of Prohibition are being washed away in a proverbial flood of alcohol!!!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 17:33:24 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Now - in reply to the topic verbatim - I remember clearly buying Zodiac Malt Liquor for $1.29 a six pack or $5.29 a case in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Never mind that Peter Hand Brewing Co. in Chicago which made it had closed the previous year... it was drinkable and didn't give me or anyone else any serious (ahem) gastric repercussions.
    I've seen some 99-cent gas station beer bargains over the years; the worst of those was something named Germam (no typo) Beer from Auburndale, Florida. It tasted like it was brewed with recycled alligator you-know-what. That turned up in clear bottles in a gas station in Macon, Georgia, circa 1980.
    Recently enough,though, in September, 2001, I pulled off the interstate in the anthracite region of Pennsylvania to hunt down a cold Yuengling on draft. Just the proper place showed up in Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania. As an outlander, the first two glasses (about 8-ounce pilsner glasses) were on the two locals I met; I bought the third round. Imagine my surprise when I plopped three dollar bills on the counter only to have the bartender shove one back at me and go over to the period National cash register and ka-jing the sale in. She trundled back and laid 95 cents on the counter.
    "This can't be right," I entreated.
    "Draft Yuengling is 35 cents," she assured me.
    One of my spies has returned to the place. Inflation has struck Mahanoy City. My compatriot - who hails from West Hazleton - visited that bar a few weeks ago.
    Draft Yuengling was up to 40 cents. And the bartender apologized about it. As had happened with me, the locals were friendly and bought several; my spy told me he simply handed her a fiver, drank quite a few, went down the street for a sandwich, and enjoyed every minute.
    The cheapest good beer here in Athens is $ 2.25 house pints at happy hour at Copper Creek Brewing. Think I'll go have one in a few minutes; this thread is getting me thirsty....
    Alementarily, Ort. Carlton in On-Draught Athens, Georgia.
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 17:43:04 (permalink)

What about Genessee Beer? Is it still around? We used to get that when visiting cousins in Ohio. I recall it being a pretty cheap buzz.
    I always thought the little northern towns that had local beers with guttural and snarling sounding names had the most interesting suds.....
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 17:48:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grillmeister

That's good because my little neck of the woods just voted to go "wet". Ah, the last vestiges of Prohibition are being washed away in a proverbial flood of alcohol!!!

Here's the article: http://online.wsj.com/article_print/0,,SB112423815050715079,00.html
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 17:57:45 (permalink)
    Grillmeister, the Genesee Brewery changed hands in a management buyout several years ago. It is now known as High Falls Brewing Co. and they still make many of the well known Gennie products in addition to several upscale, but reasonable priced brews like Michael Shea's Irish Amber and JW Dundee's Honey Brown.

As for comments on the original posting, I agree with Scallion, the prices seem quite high for even NYC. I would have been shocked to get a bill like this for four beers and two cocktails. If I were drinking at the bar and no cocktail waitress was involved, my thoughts on any tip would have been "fuggetaboudit !!!"
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 19:29:26 (permalink)
    Ort, which bar in Mahanoy? I'm a couple minutes up the road in Mountain Top. Who's the spy, and do you know a singer/songwriter named Greg Williams?

Tom
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 19:31:41 (permalink)
    Oh; and someome referenced Jerry ford, ferchrissakes. Whip Inflation Now.

Tom
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 19:57:19 (permalink)
    I agree that even for NYC, $13 for a bottle of Bud is over the Top. But to paraphrase Calvin Trillin, any time you eat or drink at a restaurant at the Top of any building you are going to get overpriced drinks and mediocre food while you have a view of people drinking overpriced drinks and eating mediocre food at restaurants at the tops of other buildings.

As for cheap drinks/beer in NY City, sure there are plenty of places still around. One of my favorites is Rudy's at 44th and 9th Ave. The special usually is $2 pints of beer and (get this..) $2 pints of Wine!

Let's see, at $99 for 6 people, the group could have had about 8 drinks apiece. ---Ken
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/20 23:59:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

Oh; and someome referenced Jerry ford, ferchrissakes. Whip Inflation Now.

Tom

There reference was to the following episode:

quote:
    When New York City fell into dire financial straits, Ford was unmoved. A now-famous headline in the New York Daily News--ford to city: drop dead-- helped underscore his apparent insensitivity to the national significance of the city's plight.

But we have now moved beyond that in this thread and I'm glad. Personally, I {{heart}} New York.

Can't anybody besides Ken recommend a place to get a cheap drink there (and thanks, Ken, for your effort)? There are, what, 7 million or so of you? There must be a few more alcoholics.
    Zman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/21 04:34:04 (permalink)
    WOW! roadfooders being disrespective to each other ... who woud've thunk it?
    I was offered a job on Long Island NY. doing DDC (direct digital control) for $68.54 per hour. After visiting for 5 days with LLEECHEF,I turned the job down. Housing and everyday expenses were SO high that I would actually be making the SAME salary MINUS the mountains,the scenery,the cool summers, and taking roadfood friends out in Prince William Sound on fishin' missions.
    In short, ..... furgetaboutit!!!
    Alaska ROCKS!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cheap beer 2005/08/21 07:38:49 (permalink)

Wise Decision, Zzzzz. Plus you have a nearby Costco, so cheap beer is within reach!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1