Cheaper Cuts of Beef

Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
2008/08/26 17:52:33 (permalink)

Cheaper Cuts of Beef

I’m beginning to appreciate these cheaper cuts of beef. Not only for the price but they seem to be tastier then other cuts to me.

This one is a Flat Iron Steak, $6.99 lb; about half of what Choice Rib Eyes are going for. After poking a thousand holes in it with my Jaccard tenderizer I marinated it in Italian dressing, lime juice, and fresh garlic. A couple of minutes on a hot grill then served up with some oven roasted potatoes and a salad do the trick.

20 Replies Related Threads

doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/26 18:19:01 (permalink)

John,

I think that marinade helps with the flavor, but I wonder if using the Jaccard is needed and beneficial to this cut. I think that it is a tender cut and though I have no proof, wonder if some of the internal juices are leaking out?

mark
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 06:25:54 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

I'm guesing that juices leaking out would change the color of the marinade? After all was said & done it was very tasty as well as tender. Well worth $6.99/ lb.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 07:27:53 (permalink)
    Amen. The juiceness really works with a tery marinade. I use them for the juicest fajuitas and the blow flank out of the water for LB.
    BNTW..its always on "special" at kroger with their card for 4.99 and as low as 2.99
    britt
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 08:10:06 (permalink)
    Cheaper cuts of meat brings out the talents of a "seasoned" cook.
    John looks like you have nailed or needled it.
    Are there any cheap cuts of meat these days?
    Yesterday browsing the meat section of a large grocery store I noticed packages of beef bones selling for $1.29 a pound, bones, no meat.
    Neck bones with some meat {very little} $1.49 a pound.
    Sheesh, I can remember the days you could get them almost free for the asking. Chow Jim
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 10:04:58 (permalink)

Looks pretty juicy to me! Good job, John...although I think that meat is just screaming to be thrown into a warm tortilla with a coupls slices of avacado and some pico de gallo!

Dean
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 10:11:53 (permalink)
    John:
    What type of italian dressing did you use? "Good" dressing or "cheap" fat free dressing. My BF insits the cheaper the dressing the better for marinades and he uses it especially for boston butts before smoking. BTW, the meat looks PERFECT!
    jjjrfoodie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 10:26:20 (permalink)
    Sadly, the price of "cheap cuts" of beef are now up there in price. Flanks steaks were $6.99 lb and are now $8.99 and up. This price escalation stuff really pisses me off tho.

I used to do flank steak regularly, but have switched to flat irons for price and value and the flat irons fit more to a cooking for 2 scenario.

I have not used a jaccard but I make sure I cook medium rare. Anything more done and it can get tough.

I've used this on my flank steaks for over 10 years now.

Spicy Flank Steak

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (leaves and stems)
    4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    1 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp fresh ground ancho chili powder (if available)
    1 to 1 1/2 lb flank steak

Combine all ingredients except for the flank steak in a medium mixing bowl.
    Put flank steak in a large zip-loc freezer bag, and add all cilantro marinade paste, dividing equally to each side of meat in bag. Seal bag and toss marinade with steak to coat.
    Marinate minimum 2 hours or preferably overnight in refrigerator.
    Remove freezer bag with meat from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking.

jjjrfoodie
    KingCrab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 14:49:24 (permalink)
    I typically only buy Prime & sometimes dry aged T-Bones, Filets, ribeye steaks at my local butcher, but sometimes when my wallet is a little lite I settle for choice graded skirt steak, London Broil, and sirloin.

Of these the London Broil, and sirloin are my favorites.

Skirt steak: I have the butcher run the slices through the tenderizer at his shop, and then I marinate it in cumin, olive oil, minced garlic, minced jalapenos, and fesh lime juice for a couple of hours. Grill for about 4 mins per side, and eat as tacos.

The sirloin is quickly becoming one of my favorite cuts of beef, hand cut about 1-1/2 inches thick, and then grilled with salt and pepper only until reare-medium rare. I eat it with oyster sauce for dipping.
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1117
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 15:17:45 (permalink)
    When I was living in San Diego there was a variety of meat sold in many Mexican markets called Carne Asada. It was thin sliced, marinated and grilled up wonderfully. Best part it was cheap. Sadly can't be found here in Texas.
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1117
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 15:21:09 (permalink)
    My wife also buys poorly cut hunks of top round and will put them in a slow cooker with a can of Mexican tomatos overnight and the next day we have shredded beef tacos. Yes, it's sad that even cheap cuts of meat aren't cheap any more. Pisses me off since we grow the beef down here.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/27 15:29:58 (permalink)
    Our local Kroger has flat-iron steaks on sale at $4.99 a pound (usually $6.99) very often. I think it's absolutely the best buy for a steak (even if it is a piece of chuck) that's tender and with great beef taste. In fact, I'm grilling one for supper tonight. pb
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/28 16:40:33 (permalink)
    Great photos John! Looks absolutely deeelish.

For really tough cuts I use a "tined" meat tenderizer, sever any connective tissue separately with a knife, and brine the meat.
    Using a tenderizing marinade for too long a period of time can over-tenderize the outside a bit too much, making it kind of mushy - so I usually use a brine for cuts that are really tough.

Then, on the barbque grill after putting some seasoning on the outside I cook over a *very* hot coal bed to sear and char the "steak".

Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/28 18:05:47 (permalink)
    Chuck is your friend...cool weather is coming and Chuck loves to be stewed. Chuck is also very agreeable to be roasted as well as ground. A more agreeable friend you will never find.

Chuck may come from the poor side of the cow and may be a bit fatter than the rest of your friends, but Chuck does have good taste and is always a tender friend. Chuck will not rob you blind either as the others do from the rich side of the cow.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/28 18:25:41 (permalink)
    That old-fashioned contraption the pressure cooker was made for the less expensive cuts of beef (can't bring myself to say cheap 'cause they're not!). One chuck roast can be made into beef stew, Mexican shredded beef for enchiladas/flautas/tacos, etc., pot roast, Greek Stifado, curried beef, stroganoff, or my favorite, stewed beef cubes over rice. On the market now are electric digital pressure cookers that let you "set it, and forget it." I will stick with my 4 qt. Presto stainless steel stove top model that like all the second generation cookers has a locked handle and two over-pressure valves that make it very much safer than the older models.

All day cooking taste in a fraction of the time!

Teresa
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/28 18:52:25 (permalink)
    Teresa,

Yep, you are right. Chuck can take the pressure as well. If nothing else Chuck is hugely adaptable
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18655
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/28 20:10:54 (permalink)
    Until it became popular the Flat Iron steak was always known as the Top Blade steak.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/28 20:34:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Until it became popular the Flat Iron steak was always known as the Top Blade steak.

While the top blade has been around for a long time, it's only been the last few years that new butchering techniques have created the cut now known as Flat Iron steak. Some butchers still refer to it as a Top Blade Steak. For more info read[url='http://confessionsofabutcher.blogspot.com/2005/12/flat-iron-steak-hype-or-heart.html']here[/url]. pb

OldManAP
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/29 00:42:21 (permalink)
    I've really begun to love flat irons in the past couple of years. I have always maintained that the ribeye was my favorite steak cut, but the flat iron has gotten pretty close. I generally use some sort of soy-based marinade for an hour or so, that seems to be plenty long enough. I picked up this "short soak" marinating thing from a restaurant I used to cook for. Our grilled chicken was dunked in a soy-based marinade and then immediately thrown right onto the grill. If we left the chicken in the soak too long, it actually would toughen to the point of being inedible within 5-10 minutes. Acidic marinades can do that..of course it takes longer with a big beef steak than with a piece of chicken breast...

Anyhow, I still do like flank steak, even though the price has risen somewhat. All manner of marinades, again only an hour or so soak time, and grilled to about medium. I usually cut straight across the grain, non-biased. Seems to chew easier that way for me. Never have seen skirt steak in any markets around here, and I don't have any shops nearby where I can get meat cut to order.

Someone mentioned sirloin. I personally don't like them very much. I'm not sure why, but the flavor from this particular cut has just never thrilled me.

I do however like chuck eye steaks. As long as they're not too thick, and you marinate them for a short time, and grill them no more than about medium, they make an excellent (slightly cheaper) alternative to ribeye. And, yes, I do like the higher fat content, from time to time... ;)

And once in a while I'll splurge a bit and pick up either a tip roast or a brisket. The tip usually goes in the oven with various spices, herbs, and some Worcestershire sauce, to be sliced very thin and served in open-faced sandwiches with a gravy made from the jus. The brisket generally goes into some stock in the slow-cooker with a few potatoes and carrots...and leftovers often get pulled and served with a vinegar BBQ sauce.
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/29 00:54:09 (permalink)
    Pressure cooking can be a good thing.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheaper Cuts of Beef 2008/08/29 17:43:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

John:
    What type of italian dressing did you use? "Good" dressing or "cheap" fat free dressing. My BF insits the cheaper the dressing the better for marinades and he uses it especially for boston butts before smoking. BTW, the meat looks PERFECT!

I'm with your boyfriend, the cheaper the better. I do like to add some citrus, either bottled lemon or lime juice, and fresh garlic.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1