Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Bootstrap
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
2006/12/23 12:52:16 (permalink)

Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts)

You know that movie when the guy tells you to go to the window and shout "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"? (Network, by the way)...

Breyers (with a B) in my opinion is the best commercial ice cream available known for it's quality ingredients... has gone to the CHEATER container (the square containers that, when they came out, advertised themselves as "same size as half gallon" but have since delivered 1.75 quarts). I saw it coming when the cheaper brands started going that direction. I had hoped Breyers would have more class than to follow others down the cheat the consumer road... but...

Maybe it's just me, but I think the 1/2 gallon size should be sacred-- just as if it were milk (e.g., pint, quart, 1/2 gallon, gallon). I am getting tired of the shorted containers hitting the market (as manufacturer trail balloons-- can we get away with this?).

Most of the blame has to go back on the consumers who just shrug their shoulders. I have asked other customers as they load the cheater containers into their carts if they noticed the size and am amazed many haven't. Those that have-- so far-- big surprise, no one likes being shorter but no one was complained.

For those that love ice cream (I do)-- I implore you: Write a letter! Email! Complain! I suggest Breyers in particular because if you read their web page, you can feel the reluctance and can smell the guilt. Write Breyers. I suggest you open with "I almost bought your ice cream today..."

{I edited this message, I refered to the cheater container as a "pintless" when it is a cup less, not a pint. }

Bil Burton, aka Bootstrap <-- so Unilever can find me

I also added the URL to their comment line (intrusive as it is).
http://www.icecreamusa.com/contact_us/question.cfm

I suggest pen & ink is the way to go, I will try to find the "most responsive" contact person and add it.

I have also filed a complaint with Consumer Protection in my state. (No, I got nothing else better to do). I know they will say as long as it is correctly labeled (size) but I am taking it down a "deceptive advertising" route, since when the cheater container first came out, it was labeled as "same size as your old half gallon container".

63 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 13:55:47 (permalink)
    Oh well. 1.75 quarts for less than three dollars ain't that bad of a deal.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 14:40:27 (permalink)
    Breyer's is just another of the many pumped full of air and other weird stuff. I'll stick to my Dove bars, that's real ice cream.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 14:49:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

Breyer's is just another of the many pumped full of air and other weird stuff. I'll stick to my Dove bars, that's real ice cream.

Oh, really?

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18664
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 15:23:57 (permalink)
    I'll stick with their French vanilla.
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 17:11:07 (permalink)
    I just got snail mail from Unilever explaining why they went to the cheater carton (difficult decision, remain competitive, 135 years quality, yaddah, yaddah). They of course sent me a coupon for a half gallon... whoops a 1.75 quart ... which (much to my son's disappointment...) I am sending back.

But if you are inclined to drop them snail mail (I think makes a bigger splash), send them to:

Jill Dougherty
    909 Packerland Drive
    PO Box 19007
    Green Bay WI 54307- 9007

(having problems replying to post...)
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 17:49:24 (permalink)
    So how much cheaper is a 1.75 qt carton (meaning cost pf packaging) on an incremental basis? Less? Probably a little, but as far as I can see, the real reason is that the price charged at retail (and most likely, at wholesale too) for the 1.75 qt. container is less, but not as much less as the reduction in the quantity of the product. In other words, just another way for the consumer to get screwed!

Wally
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 18:03:36 (permalink)
    Quantity lower. Price lower. $4.99 for 1/2 gal. vs. $2.98 for 1.75 qts. Duh. That seems a pretty good deal 2 me. OR am I missing something here???
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 19:32:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Quantity lower. Price lower. $4.99 for 1/2 gal. vs. $2.98 for 1.75 qts. Duh. That seems a pretty good deal 2 me. OR am I missing something here???

You can't seriously think a sale price of $2.98 or $3.98 or 2 for $7 or whatever is going to be the final retail price? Not really? I have a letter in my hand that explains the justification was to lower cost. The retail price did not change when the package got smaller and (here) is usually just over $5.00.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/23 20:14:26 (permalink)
    Bootstrap, welcome to roadfood! Only the newly discovered extinction of the freshwater White Dolphins in the Amazon River has me more saddened than what Breyers is doing.
    Joe
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 10:06:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bootstrap

quote:

You can't seriously think a sale price of $2.98 or $3.98 or 2 for $7 or whatever is going to be the final retail price? Not really? I have a letter in my hand that explains the justification was to lower cost. The retail price did not change when the package got smaller and (here) is usually just over $5.00.

The regular RETAIL price I pay for Breyer's 1.75 qts. IS $2.98 per container, sir. Everyday, 24/7.
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 11:52:37 (permalink)
    You say you were paying $4.99 for 1/2 gallon.

And, when they changed to the smaller container, Breyers lowered the price by forty percent, and that it has stayed there ever since?

Got it-- I can see why you are pleased.

But for the people of Earth, that hasn't happened. Here, Breyers moved to the square carton with some fanfare (it did fit better into the freezer), made efforts to assure everyone it contained the same amount of ice cream as its old container, sold it as a half gallon for some time, and, after establishing that container as being the same size, shaved off some weight.

I have not seen any balloons on the lid announcing "New, smaller size!"

You obviously have a business opportunity. Everyone else has to pay MSRP-- over $5 here. I am reflecting what happen here, to me, an Earthling. What happened to me was Breyers lowered the amount of ice cream in its standard size and did not lower the MSRP. I do not count sales and I do not count introductory prices. I do not count the time I bought Breyers for $1 when my retailer's freezer broke down.

I have a letter from Breyers acknowledging why they moved to the smaller container-- it was to cover the raising cost of its ingredients.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 12:28:16 (permalink)
    "You say you were paying $4.99 for 1/2 gallon.

And, when they changed to the smaller container, Breyers lowered the price by forty percent, and that it has stayed there ever since?

Got it-- I can see why you are pleased."

Actually, I WAS paying $4.99 for (the 1.75 qt) that until my Super-Walmart came into the picture, about a year or so ago. I only buy 2 flavors, Strawberry and Coffee. The vanilla is good also, but not 4 me on a regular basis. Hagen-Daaz is also cheap in price compared to other vendors here.

Agreed: I don't buy a whole lot of things from Wally's. Catfood and ice cream; yes I do.
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 12:39:27 (permalink)
    I don't buy anything from Walmart. I have health care and would feel guilty knowing part of the money I save off anything I buy comes out of the employee's pockets. The retailer I buy ice cream from (or used to) pays health care.

And a number of other reasons why I wouldn't buy anything there but I don't want this thread to go off topic.

I don't know what you paid where-- I would just suggest you have to compare apples with apples. The price went up per serving and, in my opinion, the packaging was and continues to be deceptive.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 12:49:34 (permalink)
    Well. Good for you. And I did compare apples with apples, sir. Also: I don't eat veal, but that's an ethical decision, not an economic one. I think that many people forget that if some citizens choose to work @ places such as Walmart --->> Well, that is THEIR decision, not mine.
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 13:25:40 (permalink)
    Wal-mart is the largest employer in the US. When they refuse to pay health care, the employees either do without, or the taxpayers pick up the tab. When people work for Wal-mart, it is often because they have to put food on the table and there are no other jobs available. Often, there are no jobs available because Wal-mart blows into smaller markets and puts other small companies out of business and ironically, Wal-mart picks up their employees (and pay them less and doesn't provide health care).

Wal-mart is the largest employer in the US. A person who does not eat veal should be able to understand the ethical connection; should be able to see when he or she pays $2.46 cents for something everyone charges $3.29, it comes out of the pocket of the person who is wringing him/her up or standing at the from door giving pleasant greetings. If he smiles, it is probably gas (he can't be thinking about his benefits).

So you know, I don't eat veal either. I don't eat cow, sheep, pig, kangaroo, German Shepards anymore (though they are rather tasty), nor parakeets.

But to bring it back to the thread-- I don't eat Breyers and won't while they continue to use the cheater cartons.
    BunnySlippers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 13:47:44 (permalink)
    Prices aside, here in NC, most of the major brands and also the store brands have switched to the smaller carton. I actually noticed this a year or so ago,when my ice cream pies weren't coming out right" />. I believe the exception in this area is Blue Bunny, which seems to have a lot of air anyway.

So, please forgive my curiosity, but why is your argument with Breyer's? Are all of the others in your area still 1/2 gallon?

And, just to note, I don't eat anything commonly kept as a house pet.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 14:33:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BunnySlippers

Bunny! Yum!
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 14:37:39 (permalink)
    I forgive your curiosity, BunnySlippers, if you forgive the cliché: it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I have been aware that discount ice creams had moved to the cheater cartons but I have (almost) always willing to either pay for quality or do without. The use of the cheater carton by Breyers came recently; I had been stewing privately.

Then last weekend, my yogurt (Brown Cow)-- also a quality product-- moved from 8 ounces to 6 ounces. What they have called "single serving" since they have been in business changed overnight. Now (according to them), "single serving" is 6 ounces. Not unlike Breyers, they were bought up a larger corporation that has been making an inferior product (Dannon) and did not care that it would run its reputation into the ground.

What some may call the dannonization of American yogurt...

My letter to the company president (of Brown Cow) brought to the surface my disappointment with Breyers. I have decided the best way to push back on this trend to hide price increases by reducing the volume (or changing the size or shape of the container) is to pick one product and lucky for Breyers (aka, Unilever), it is they.

When I started looking into this a few days ago, I did not really find very much. My motivation is let other consumers know that the problem is not with them: clearly, this trend to establish a "standard" size and then change the size is wrong, unethical, and (IMHO) fraudulent. I would like to let consumers know that they aren’t alone—should they do search (for example) for “1.75 quarts” and “ice cream” and “fraud”, they will find others that are similarly inclined.

I encourage them to join me and to take actions in their respect state’s attorney’s office (often under the heading “consumer protection”). We don’t have to take it…

P.S. I don't eat house pets, either. If my goat gets into my roses again, I will drag the BBQ out where he can see it. He isn't a house pet.

(why can't I see spelling mistakes first time I post?)
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 14:50:46 (permalink)
    My main gripe with the "downsizing/price-lowering trend is with toilet paper. Has anyone else noticed how much bigger the paper tube holder in the middle is these days?
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 15:44:43 (permalink)
    TP has always been over the place-- I have always looked at "sq feet" since I won't remember between purchases and (in this case) I don't have a particular favorite (just ones to avoid).

To bring it back to ice cream, as I did research on this, Breyers went to the smaller size because it still wanted to market itself as a quality ice cream, but did not want to go over the MSRP of $5 per unit.

It is very easy to see how the next time gas, or cocoa beans, or strawberries go up, the standard "1.75 quart" container (56 ounces?) will drop to 48 ounces.

How do I know this? Physic? No... I have seen 48 ounce containers.
    sbpressman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 15:49:28 (permalink)
    Breyers isn't strictly all-natural anymore. From their web site:

A&W™ Root Beer FloatCraving a frothy root beer float? Save the glass and straw. We've got an unbeatable creamy vanilla ice cream swirled with A&W™ Root Beer

1.75 Quarts
    Ingredients: ICE CREAM: MILK, SKIM MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, REDUCED MINERALS WHEY, NATURAL FLAVOR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, CAROB BEAN GUM, CARRAGEENAN. ROOT BEER SHERBET SWIRL: SKIM MILK, SUGAR, WATER, CORN SYRUP, CREAM, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, CAROB BEAN GUM, POLYSORBATE 80, PURIFIED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, RED 40, YELLOW 6, BLUE 1, ANNATTO.

quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

Oh, really?

GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 16:50:06 (permalink)
    Just like everything else in the USA, vote with your feet and your pocketbook.

Don't waste your time complaining, I doubt that they are going to change their policy because you spent 39 cents.
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 17:08:29 (permalink)
    I hardly consider it a waste of time. To be sure, I shall and I have but unless you let them know you are unhappy, you are a tree that falls in the forest.

This kind of letter, also, is received as the voice of many (if one consumer takes the time and the 39 cents to mail a letter, he or she is voicing the opinion of thousands of others).

The American consumer doesn't always have to take what the manufacturer doles out.
    Pitts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 17:59:23 (permalink)
    Our Darigold brand here in the Northwest still sells their excellent product in 1/2 gal. containers. I thin I will send them a thank you note.
    Regards
    Pitts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/24 18:07:03 (permalink)
    I just sent this e-mail to the Darigold Co.

Hello. I want to take the time to thank you for keeping the 1/2 gal. container. I think it is disingenuous the way the others have sneaked in the 1.75 gal. size. If you have to raise the price do it in the open. Not throught the back door.
    Thanks
    Jim Armstrong
    Centralia, Washington.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/25 14:09:52 (permalink)
    I still getting over the 10.5 to 12 oz. pound of coffee[V}.

I knew that attempt at converting to the metric system had it's roots in nefarious guerilla marketing. The 'ol can't dazzale 'em baffle 'em trick run amock!
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/25 14:40:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pat T Hat

I still getting over the 10.5 to 12 oz. pound of coffee[V}.

I knew that attempt at converting to the metric system had it's roots in nefarious guerilla marketing. The 'ol can't dazzale 'em baffle 'em trick run amock!

hahahaha (insert knee slapping emoticon here).

Guess what? I used the "pound" coffee can example in my letter to "Breyers". I am not in favor of "big government"-- but I would like to see true standards set and if someone wants to sell something else, it should come with a big label (e.g., "we are ripping you off"). In particular, if a manufacturer changes its carton size, it should be required to prominently disclose the size. Serving portions should be DEFINED by the government, e.g., yogurt was 8 ounces until Danon came in with their substandard product and overwhelmed the market.

I have seen this topic now (as I searched further on Google). Hope to see it pop up more as Google search engine catches up the searches. I also see WIKI has an entry (which I edited to update the purchase by Unilever... not sure if or when that change is posted)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breyers

Here's another thread re: breyers: http://tinyurl.com/y9oka4

need spellchecker on this thing...

BTW, Jim, I did write to Darigold and suggest I would get some when I could find it.
    toto11
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/26 08:21:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BunnySlippers

Prices aside, here in NC, most of the major brands and also the store brands have switched to the smaller carton. I actually noticed this a year or so ago,when my ice cream pies weren't coming out right" />. I believe the exception in this area is Blue Bunny, which seems to have a lot of air anyway.

So, please forgive my curiosity, but why is your argument with Breyer's? Are all of the others in your area still 1/2 gallon?

Around the Carolina's, Mayfield, Breyers, Edy's and Pet have all downsized, 1.75 liters, with a average price increase of .60 cents(seen a full dollar at some grocers). One company(dsd/vendor wise) has not-Blue Bell. Also, to be fair, the publix brand ice cream is still at 1.89 liters.
    Not bad for a company in a portion of 16 states, to be 2nd in the nation for sales.
    Bootstrap
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cheater Ice Cream Containers (1.75 quarts) 2006/12/26 19:28:50 (permalink)
    Hey-- fun, fun!

Do a Google search. Use "Breyers" and "cheat" or "cheater carton"

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1