Check out the Smoked Chicken

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6178
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 18:01:17 (permalink)
joerogo

Hey Chewy, Not questioning you on this.  Just telling a story.  Remember this goes back about 25 years when fresh chicken was new to themass market.

Joe, believe this story or not but if not for my fathers surgical skills, it might have taken longer. In the either late 40's or early 50's he had to do an emergency Appendectomy on a merchant Marine, I believe he was. The Appendix had burst, but the man survived and shortly thereafter signed out of the hospital, didn't pay anything. In the late 60's my father received a very warm letter from the man with a large check and and an explination iof why he had to take off, he explained he had done well in the Chicken business and was grateful for my father saving his life, it was signed Frank Perdue.
post edited by chewingthefat - 2010/10/04 18:03:18
jjohnson191
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 20:08:19 (permalink)
I don't believe it because the story isn't true.  According to Purdue's official biography he was never in the Merchant Marines.  He joined the family business at 19 when he dropped out of college.  Why you would make up a story like this I have no idea.
chewingthefat

joerogo

Hey Chewy, Not questioning you on this.  Just telling a story.  Remember this goes back about 25 years when fresh chicken was new to themass market.

Joe, believe this story or not but if not for my fathers surgical skills, it might have taken longer. In the either late 40's or early 50's he had to do an emergency Appendectomy on a merchant Marine, I believe he was. The Appendix had burst, but the man survived and shortly thereafter signed out of the hospital, didn't pay anything. In the late 60's my father received a very warm letter from the man with a large check and and an explination iof why he had to take off, he explained he had done well in the Chicken business and was grateful for my father saving his life, it was signed Frank Perdue.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 20:19:41 (permalink)
jjohnson191

I don't believe it because the story isn't true.  According to Purdue's official biography he was never in the Merchant Marines.  He joined the family business at 19 when he dropped out of college.  Why you would make up a story like this I have no idea.
chewingthefat

joerogo

Hey Little Johnson, read the highlighted text.  

It takes a tough chicken to make a tender man.
jjohnson191
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/04 22:02:00 (permalink)
What don't you understand?  Perdue was never a Merchant Marine, so the story isn't true.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 12:26:02 (permalink)
joerogo

jjohnson191

chewingthefat

joerogo

Hey Little Johnson, read the highlighted text.  

It takes a tough chicken to make a tender man.

Thank you Joe!
The story is absolutely true about the emergency operation and subsequent letter with a check from Mr. Perdue. My sister still has the letter.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 12:28:18 (permalink)
jjohnson191

What don't you understand?  Perdue was never a Merchant Marine, so the story isn't true.

Nice knowing you
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 13:03:08 (permalink)
The issue is not whether the reward (long-delayed) did or didn't happen... it is The cloudiness of whether the 'patient' was or was not a member of the Merchant Marine. Since CTF acknowledges that he BELIEVES the legend handed down in his family as described is valid, that's good enough for him.  If the fact's don't bear that part of the story out, it really doesn't detract from the reality of the delayed reward check.

Hasta La Vista One More Time, Newbie.

caver
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 14:57:07 (permalink)
Isn't the freezing point of chicken around 26 deg F?  Not 30 or 32.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2010/10/05 16:29:53 (permalink)
I still remember this story when it first came out in Time:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,983200,00.html

I never heard much about it after that, but just found this on the USDA website:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Meat_&_Poultry_Labeling_Terms/index.asp
=====
FRESH POULTRY:
In August, 1995 USDA/FSIS published a rule attempting to modify the definition of "fresh" to refer to poultry whose internal temperature has never been below 26 °F. That rule said poultry whose internal temperature is between 26 °F and 0 °F cannot be called "fresh" but must be called "hard-chilled" or "previously hard chilled." In January, 1996 the final rule was published in the Federal Register. However, Congress did not appropriate money for enforcing the rule. On August 8, 1996, Congress asked FSIS to revise the final rule. FSIS has now amended the poultry product inspection regulations to prohibit the use of the term "fresh" on the labeling of raw poultry products whose internal temperature has ever been below 26 °F. Also, labels of raw poultry products whose temperature has ever been below 26 °F, but above 0 °F, will not be required to bear any specific, descriptive labeling terms, including "hard chilled" or "previously hard chilled." To be in compliance with the revised rule, raw poultry products that are labeled as "fresh" but have ever had an internal temperature below 26 °F will have to have the "fresh" designation deleted or removed from labeling on the package. The final rule also sets a temperature tolerance for raw poultry products. The temperature of individual packages of raw poultry products labeled "fresh" can vary as much as 1°F below 26 °F within inspected establishments or 2 °F below 26 °F in commerce. This revised final rule appeared in the December 17, 1996, Federal Register and became effective 1 year later – December 17, 1997.
====
I note that the "chilly" chicken I referred to earlier was neither labeled 'fresh' nor 'frozen'.

post edited by David_NYC - 2010/10/05 16:52:31
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2011/03/21 08:29:59 (permalink)
To the OP, that is a beautiful looking outside, but I have to agree that its a bit pink inside. It's not good to not cook chicken all the way through. Chickens and cows are different critters.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
Re:Check out the Smoked Chicken 2011/03/21 10:06:43 (permalink)
Stick with Guinness and you won't have this problem.  The malt will be good for ya.  Four-in-stance your eyesight gets much better-- I've even seen double, and pink elephants, and other things you can't see after eatin' chicken---with pink spots or brown blood or anything else.  Here's
lookin at you babe !!!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1