LockedCheck this out for next Roadfood edition!

Author
donnablue
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
2007/08/15 13:42:52 (permalink)

Check this out for next Roadfood edition!

Just tried a pizza place on our way East from Iowa back to Mass. while visiting friends in Ohio. It is called Pizza Cottage and is in Buckeye Lake, Ohio (near Columbus). This pizza had a perfectly cooked thin crust, and had more toppings on it than I had ever seen. You could not see the cheese under all the meats and veggie toppings!!! Comes in several sizes. Their business card says they also have one in Newark, Ohio and Lancaster, Ohio.Have not tried these two. I really feel Pizza Cottage should be checked out for inclusion in the next edition of Roadfood!!! Donnablue

17 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/16 19:48:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by donnablue

I am a brand new member who uses the Roadfood book extensively in my RV travels all over the U.S. My pizza comment was not a "free ad", just a pizza place that good friends took us to, and we really liked it!!! Not sure if that comment was directed at me, but it was undeserved and a new member should be treated nicer! Donnablue

Welcome to RF, Donna. Don't worry. We don't all bite. Those that are a bit "snippy" mellow out eventually with your continued posts. We have been burned before on posts from new members (so to speak) that were in reality hidden advertisements for places of business.

Once again - Welcome! -- Grab a chair; sit down; and stay awhile.

--JDK--
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18951
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/16 23:20:36 (permalink)
    I had a pie with Italian sausage at Pizza Cottage in Buckeye Lake a couple of years ago after a day of fishing. Didn't much care for it.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/17 16:08:42 (permalink)
    My future in-laws,Gabe and Barbara have a house in Florida and one in Brewster,Mass.Lot of people on the East Coast do this.
    They plan to move to Florida permently according to my sister.
    Thanks for the post Donnablue.

donnablue
    Junior Burger
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/19 16:45:03 (permalink)
    Okay, let me clear up all the confusion. I AM a new member, NOT an advertiser. I AM from Mass., but as some of you figured out, I live in FL six months of the year as stated. We are retired and travel in our RV for six months per year, and live in FL the other six. We aren't rich, just worked real hard and retired as early as we felt we could. We LOVE seeing the country this way! Living in an RV half the year is cheaper than in a house! Because of our mobility, we use the Roadfood book extensively, and I was just pointing out a little pizza place that dear friends took us to, and it impressed us! I was shocked by some of the replies I got! The reason I could not answer right away is that my internet access via WiFi is restricted according to what different campgrounds provide. I hope this clears up my motives for some of the suspicious people out there!!!

To answer another question, one of our favorite restaurants was Dinosaur BBQ, located in Syracuse, NY, where our son went to college. Being from New England, we tend to frequent seafood places when we come back. We have found the Roadfood book to be "right on" with its reviews! We grew up in Ipswich, MA and the Clam Box is a "must do". We are in Maine now and will try some more Roadfood favs. I will have to think about some of our other favorites.

Thanks to those of you who WERE nice to this newbie to the forum! Donnablue
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/19 17:43:25 (permalink)
    Ah, then you are living the Roadfood dream :-) Cool :-)

I hope to someday be able to travel like that myself, but for now, time and money for travel is limited
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/22 06:30:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by skipsor

Great job TJ, making a nice retired lady feel unwelcome to Roadfood.

It is jerks like you why some folks are uncomfortable posting here.

Please lighten up on your background "investigations" on new posters.

Thank you

Well I would not have been quite so harsh, but I will absolutely concur that I was never made to feel welcome myself... hence I have made myself - when it seemed appropriate - an unofficial welcome wagon, posting at least a "welcome" note when I see new stuff.. that said I haven't done it where people were "advertising" [not that donna was!] and I get the wariness... still, I hear ya. It's a nice little [big?] community here but some folks are much more open to newcomers than others, that's for sure!!

Anyway, a warm welcome to donnablue and skipsor.
    cecif
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/22 06:36:03 (permalink)
    A little note to add for donnablue...
    One reason you might have got that reaction is that there are 50,000 registered users here. Some of them have been postingly regularly for many years. Most of them likely have opinions on what belongs in the Sterns' books that might be missing. And those who have been around, have tried & tested opinions, have loads of other RFers concurring... well, they kinda understandably might feel that if anyone nominates new RF entries, it ought to be them.

I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying that I very quickly became sensitive to the people who are the heart & soul of these boards and even if I don't always agree with them, there are lots of respectable opinions. Newcomers, myself included [quite obviously I think] have to ease in and almost "earn" the right to speak up about places in certain ways... other than just saying, "hey has anyone tried this place, cuz I think it's great?!"

Hope this helps.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/22 07:34:04 (permalink)
    Uhm Guys.. being a not so frequent poster.. though I do post... can I just say.. grow up, we're all suppose to be adults here, Donna, welcome to the site from a fellow Masshole...
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/22 10:07:44 (permalink)
    Get used to the RV community. The baby boomers are just now starting to free up time to travel extensively on the road. You never know where we will pop up and give comments about places. I'm certainly not confined to my home state of Minnesota. You can't judge by profile locations.
    donnablue
    Junior Burger
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/22 21:56:51 (permalink)
    Thank you to skipsor and ceciflinn for making me feel welcome, and explaining some of the rudeness I experienced from others. As a newbie to this site (though not to others), I did not know the ground rules or realize that I couldn't recommend that places be checked out for the next RF edition. I thought I was being helpful!!! We are also frequent cruisers as my hubby is an avid diver. The people on those threads have been so friendly that I guess I got spoiled! Anyway, I will be more careful when I make a recommendation, but that was still a "slap in the face" for someone who didn't know any better. Perhaps some of these more experienced people can tell me what I CAN talk about without arousing suspicion. We do travel alot in the RV and love it, and we DO use the RF book all the time!!! Today we tried Mabel's Lobster Claw in Kennebunk, ME and really enjoyed the chowdah and fried scallops. But I guess that goes on the "Seafood" thread, right? Anyway, thanks to the "nice" people and that other Massachusetts person for your support. By the way, I'm not a little old lady, but a 55 year old baby boomer and happy to be one!!! Donnablue
    cecif
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/23 04:54:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by donnablue

I did not know the ground rules or realize that I couldn't recommend that places be checked out for the next RF edition. I thought I was being helpful!!! ... Perhaps some of these more experienced people can tell me what I CAN talk about without arousing suspicion. We do travel alot in the RV and love it, and we DO use the RF book all the time!!!

[Smiling] donnablue, you can recommend anything you want... it's only that there are 50,000 others wanting to do the same (ok well maybe not everyone) and the older posters around here can be kinda territorial. Holy cannoli, imagine if we all made suggestions, we'd overwhelm the Sterns!!

You can talk about ANY food related thing... what people seem to like most (and I am new too btw) is trip reports with pictures, asking for ideas in areas where the site or the books don't have suggestions, discussing a particular food item you like or miss, there's even an 'off topic' board you can talk politics on (or whatever) if you like.

I spent lots of time reading before posting... just to get a feel for what goes on. I see plenty of rudeness but there are a good core handful of people on here that I really like & respect. Jimeats, fellow Massachuse-an[I'm not gonna call myself a 'Masshole'!] is one, I have not always agreed with him but respect his opinions!

Personally I enjoy the forums where either there are a bunch of newbies or a group of older posters who I enjoy. Some are so funny!!!!

Anyway, hope you stick around. This is my "off season" board... come college basketball season I'll probably disappear back to my world of hoops.

Will look forward to your new discoveries (pizza noted but I am a thick crust gal), and perhaps some reports and pics?! CHEERS!
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/29 13:57:37 (permalink)
    what was the question? ;-)
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/29 22:47:27 (permalink)
    They have excellent pizza. The owner recently sold the business. The new owner is expanding to Newark and Lancaster. They do a ton of business. It's dine in or carry out only. They don't deliver. I've heard they are one of the top selling pizza shops in the country that sell from only 1 location. On another note. I really like this site. I remember getting flamed on my first post though.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/30 08:55:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by holdem

They have excellent pizza. The owner recently sold the business. The new owner is expanding to Newark and Lancaster. They do a ton of business. It's dine in or carry out only. They don't deliver. I've heard they are one of the top selling pizza shops in the country that sell from only 1 location. On another note. I really like this site. I remember getting flamed on my first post though.

They do indeed rank in the top 100 independents (#69) and, considering the fact they have only 1 location, that's pretty darn good. Check the list here.
    http://www.pizzatoday.com/downloads/Hot100_2006.pdf
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/30 10:27:36 (permalink)
    The reason some members questioned the original post, is because this site often gets hit by advertisers who pop on the site, post one time, and it's an ad, hidden as a post. They often look similar to the original post. So, when someone's first post is "ad-like," people get a little stiff.

I don't blame those members, because, usually, when one enters a new room for the first time, one should introduce oneself first, then speak one's mind. It's simply a courtesy.

Certainly, now that Donnablue has told us how much travelling she is doing, I, for one, am excited to hear about some more of her roadfood finds. Knowing that she's a Dinosaur BBQ fan, she definately has good taste in my book!

Donnablue, welcome to the Roadfood site. One great thing about the site is that it makes the Sterns books come alive, hearing about people trying the places and giving updates, and also hearing about new places, like the pizza shop you went to.

cecif
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/30 12:04:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

They often look similar to the original post. So, when someone's first post is "ad-like," people get a little stiff.

I don't blame those members, because, usually, when one enters a new room for the first time, one should introduce oneself first, then speak one's mind. It's simply a courtesy.

I hope it's clear I didn't blame the original person questioning donnablue, who was actually quite polite!! It was the next few posts that I felt were rude, and I think donnablue felt that way as well.

Some newbies "get" how these boards work and do as you suggest but there are a bunch that have never used such forums, so they just aren't quite as savvy.

Thanks for being one of the _nice_ Rfers, Scorereader!

donnablue
    Junior Burger
    RE: Check this out for next Roadfood edition! 2007/08/31 12:24:22 (permalink)
    Thanks to holdem, scorereader, porkbeaks, and cecif for your support and encouragement. I was quite upset over some of the rude remarks I originally experienced. Although I now understand about the advertising problem, I still feel they were quite rude in some cases to a "newbie". I will admit I am not "savvy" about these roadfood threads and did not know how to word my first post. I am happy that a couple of you know Pizza Cottage and agreed with me, and also to hear that they have such a high sales volume for a little place. I have friends who live in Heath and go there all the time. Just wanted to pass it along.....Being in Maine right now, I am posting on the seafood thread........Thanks again, Donnablue
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1