Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
2005/03/03 14:57:43 (permalink)

Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again

Just had lunch at this establishment, so I wanted to put some thoughts down while they were fresh in my mind. I'm not sure how new this chain is to this area(Dallas), but this was my first time there.

For those of you not familiar with this national chain, It's a '50's theme place, formica topped tables, cardboard cut outs of Elvis, Betty Boop, reproductions of old signs like Route 66, etc.

No counter service, so waitresses take your order and seat you. My first indication that something was amiss was my server wore these dirty tattered pants that were dragging on the floor and had unraveled so much that each cuff was sporting a "tail" of fabric at least 2" long that were black with filth.

I ordered the smallest cheeseburger they had which was 5.5 oz. I had it cooked medium, with lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, and mayo. Yellow mustard is not an option listed on the menu, but it along with ketchup and S&P are on the table.

I also order the combination of fries and onion rings- "frings". I had asked my waitress if their OR were thin and crispy (the way I like them) or thick with batter. After a second of the "deer in headlights" look from her and her response "everybody likes them", I decided to take the plunge and order the combo of rings and fries anyway.

I ordered a VanillaCola to drink. CB-CB bills itself as a old time soda fountain establishment, but I decided I didn't want any shakes, malts, etc.

After a few minutes my order arrived. The presentation was good. The CB is garnished with an olive speared by toothpick. As soon as I picked up my burger I knew something was amiss: the bun was decidedly cool to the touch.

i opened up my burger to see if it was constructed as ordered and it was. I added some black pepper from the shaker.

The first bite was the start of an arduous process to finish this burger. Now admittedly I am just a couple of weeks away from recovering from a bad case of the flu, but I don't think my taster is that askew. This CB made from angus beef just had no flavor. There was nothing special to this cheeseburger.

The fries were pretty good (skins on) and the OR were made with an almost tempura batter, not bad, but I've had better.

The Vanilla coke was lacking any strong vanilla flavor. Hunkey's hamburgers (Cedar Springs @ Throckmorton) does a much better version of all the above.

The check came to $11.04! When I paid with $15, the waitress asked me if I needed change.( I hate it when they do that). If I thought she'd buy a new pair of pants with the extra tip money I'd gladly give her the almost 40% tip she thought she deserved.

After I left that place I felt like I had been to a "clip joint". Never again!

http://www.cheeburger.com/

30 Replies Related Threads

shishirooroo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/03 17:37:38 (permalink)
    Hummm, next time you will think again about venturing in a 50's theme setting. Live and Learn!...Thanks for the word from the wise...Better you than I!...Now I don't have to wonder anymore!!!!!!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/03 17:49:32 (permalink)
    My theory is that every restaurant gets only 10 "points." If they use 7 of them for motif, that leaves only 3 for food.

By far, the best food I've ever had on the road came from places that used 0 "points" for motif and therefore used all 10 for top-notch roadfood.

Sound like my theory prevails at Cheeseburger with their Formica, Elvis, Betty Boop, etc.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/03 17:59:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

My theory is that every restaurant gets only 10 "points." If they use 7 of them for motif, that leaves only 3 for food.

By far, the best food I've ever had on the road came from places that used 0 "points" for motif and therefore used all 10 for top-notch roadfood.

Sound like my theory prevails at Cheeseburger with their Formica, Elvis, Betty Boop, etc.

I like that theory, it has merit.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/03 18:41:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

quote:
    Originally posted by Maynerd

For those of you not familiar with this national chain, It's a '50's theme place, formica topped tables, cardboard cut outs of Elvis, Betty Boop, reproductions of old signs like Route 66, etc.

Everything I need to know about this place is right there in that sentence. Sounds like food is not high on their priority list. Thanks, Maynerd, I will certainly steer clear!

On the other hand, this might have been a poorly run establishment (SHOCK). Don't downgrade the whole CHAIN ( ) because of one visit.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/03 19:23:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
    Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

quote:

Everything I need to know about this place is right there in that sentence. Sounds like food is not high on their priority list. Thanks, Maynerd, I will certainly steer clear!

On the other hand, this might have been a poorly run establishment (SHOCK). Don't downgrade the whole CHAIN ( ) because of one visit.

Oh, the irony of this! I just had lunch at Cheeburger-Cheeburger today right here in Bonita Springs. The original location of CB CB is close by on Sanibel Island. There are only 2 or 3 locations (all near here) that are run by the original ownership. All the other stores are franchised and there is great variation among them as to quality. My lunch today was their "classic" burger w/ cheddar that was done just right and the fries accompanying were done perfectly. However, I have visited other locations in the S Florida area that weren't very good at all (similar to Maynerd's experience). I just happen to be fortunate to know that the one I usually frequent is pretty consistent. All of which points out the problems with expansion of a good concept by franchising. It's tough for the original owner who came up with a good concept to watch over what's going on beyond his/her orignal borders.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/03 21:00:19 (permalink)
    Cheeburger is OK in places where hamburgers are generally not done that well, but Dallas is just loaded with great burgers from local operators (it's where Chili's got its start, but that's a whole 'nother discussion about what happened to their great fresh cut fries)so I can't ever imagine going to CB CB except in the interest of research.
    drpep
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/03 21:46:59 (permalink)
    I have always enjoyed Cheeburger-Cheeburger when in Fort Lauderdale, Fl.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/03 23:40:27 (permalink)
    The one in Fort Lauderdale is the very first one I went to, and I enjoyed it. Have only been once to the one near me in Timonium, MD and they have just opened another in Owings Mills, just outside the old Ravens training facility. There are very few places in Baltimore that make a memorable burger, but Dallas has a place on just about every corner.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/04 00:08:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Works for Red Robin also.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/04 10:12:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Cheeburger is OK in places where hamburgers are generally not done that well, but Dallas is just loaded with great burgers from local operators (it's where Chili's got its start, but that's a whole 'nother discussion about what happened to their great fresh cut fries)so I can't ever imagine going to CB CB except in the interest of research.

Exactly why I went, to "research". I've heard about CB-CB for a while and decided to try it out. I agree that my experience was probably a result of poor management at that particular location. I mean if I were manager there, I'd have sent that waitress home with the filthy pants. That was just unappetizing.
    And the general feel of this location was that the waiters were just going through the motions and would have rather been somewhere else.

I'd like to hear of any Independant (non chain) burger recommendations in Dallas. I know of a few, but would like to hear more suggestions, thanks!
    cbolado
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/04 10:34:36 (permalink)
    I’ll have to second what Qfan said. My family and I ate at the original Cheeburger Cheeburger for years; we went to Sanibel often to visit my godparents, who live there. But now that I think about it, I don’t think we’ve eaten there in quite a while. Once a branch opened in Miami (I think it’s closed now) it no longer became something we could only get on Sanibel.

The Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago actually filed a lawsuit a couple years ago against Cheeburger Cheeburger for copyright infringement. http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/16/ctv.cheeseburger/
    Apparently, they settled out of court; the Billy Goat dropped the lawsuit under the condition that no Cheeburger Cheeburger franchise would open within a 125-mile radius of downtown Chicago.
    DanaJ
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/16 10:38:21 (permalink)
    Cheeburger Cheeburger was one of the greatest places I ate at when vacationing in Naples, FL.
    Every thing about it was wonderful and way better than I had ever expected it to be. So much so that we made a trip there every day.
    Service was great, food was superb, atmosphere was interesting in a good way, and their fountain sodas(we got the vanilla coke) were out of this world. I can't think of one thing that was complaint worthy.
    This was a few years ago, but it's still very clear in my mind! When we go back to that area, it's the first eating place we'll hit to re-engrave that memory.

I can see how different locations can definately be lacking. Luckilly we hit a really wonderful location.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1587
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2005/03/22 10:59:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the review. I'm always skeptical about chains, especially ones that seem to be wildly expanding. A CB CB opened recently in Westfield NJ, not far from me. It wasn't high on my priority list to begin with, but after the review I think it will be even less priority to get there. ---Ken
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 426
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/08 00:13:27 (permalink)
    quote:

... After a few minutes my order arrived. The presentation was good. The CB is garnished with an olive speared by toothpick. As soon as I picked up my burger I knew something was amiss: the bun was decidedly cool to the touch.

The first bite was the start of an arduous process to finish this burger. Now admittedly I am just a couple of weeks away from recovering from a bad case of the flu, but I don't think my taster is that askew. This CB made from angus beef just had no flavor. There was nothing special to this cheeseburger.

The check came to $11.04! When I paid with $15, the waitress asked me if I needed change.( I hate it when they do that). If I thought she'd buy a new pair of pants with the extra tip money I'd gladly give her the almost 40% tip she thought she deserved.

My first visit was tonight with my twelve year old son. His kids meal was fine. Like you, I noticed the cold bun immediately.

Not much taste to the burger and only med., med. well and well done were options.

Our check was $22.34 and I paid with $30.34 and the server asked if I needed change.

The chocolate shake was way too thick for me and almost $6.00. Side salad was OK and a fun place for kids, but I won't be back for the burgers. Too many better places around.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/08 07:41:07 (permalink)
    CB-CB closed in Roswell, GA, N. of ATL.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/08 13:54:49 (permalink)
    This thread was pre me here. No one gave Maynerd any recamendations. Are you still here Maynerd? That was a year ago and I bet you can give us the dallas best burgers map by now! My recks are Kellers and Joe Willys. I bet there are pleanty of other good places, but those are the only two I know of.
    Joe
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/09 11:42:10 (permalink)
    You took one for the team...good man. Funny how you know from the first few seconds you should have run but stuck it out and it was as bad as you thought it could be...and expensive!

Only happens to once a week.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 11:10:52 (permalink)
    CB CB just opened up a couple of locations here in Richmond; my husband and I went a few weeks ago. Although the menu stated the rarest a burger could get was medium, the kid who waited on us said that the cook was pretty accommodating and if we really wanted rare or medium rare we could get it. We did, so the burger was good. The french fries and onion rings were okay. The vanilla milkshake was really good ... except I ordered pineapple--it only had the tiniest hint of pineapple in it. The one complaint was that there was a large birthday party with a lot of small free-range humans running around screaming. We should have gotten takeout ...
    gbacounselor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 12:12:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

CB-CB closed in Roswell, GA, N. of ATL.

One of the two locations in Chattanooga (the one near Hamilton Place Mall) also closed. My family and I tried it once and found it to be unimpressive and overpriced. The one downtown near the Aquarium is still open and probably survives on tourist traffic.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 13:09:34 (permalink)
    quote:

Just had lunch at this establishment, so I wanted to put some thoughts down while they were fresh in my mind. I'm not sure how new this chain is to this area(Dallas), but this was my first time there.

No counter service, so waitresses take your order and seat you. My first indication that something was amiss was my server wore these dirty tattered pants that were dragging on the floor and had unraveled so much that each cuff was sporting a "tail" of fabric at least 2" long that were black with filth.

I ordered the smallest cheeseburger they had which was 5.5 oz. I had it cooked medium, with lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, and mayo. Yellow mustard is not an option listed on the menu, but it along with ketchup and S&P are on the table.

I also order the combination of fries and onion rings- "frings". I had asked my waitress if their OR were thin and crispy (the way I like them) or thick with batter. After a second of the "deer in headlights" look from her and her response "everybody likes them", I decided to take the plunge and order the combo of rings and fries anyway.

I ordered a VanillaCola to drink. CB-CB bills itself as a old time soda fountain establishment, but I decided I didn't want any shakes, malts, etc.

After a few minutes my order arrived. The presentation was good. The CB is garnished with an olive speared by toothpick. As soon as I picked up my burger I knew something was amiss: the bun was decidedly cool to the touch.

i opened up my burger to see if it was constructed as ordered and it was. I added some black pepper from the shaker.

The fries were pretty good (skins on) and the OR were made with an almost tempura batter, not bad, but I've had better.

The Vanilla coke was lacking any strong vanilla flavor. Hunkey's hamburgers (Cedar Springs @ Throckmorton) does a much better version of all the above.

http://www.cheeburger.com/

Because I live in Dallas, I went to their website to see where their store is located. Funny, according to their website, they don't even have a Dallas location yet. However, I beieve the store in question is in Inwood Village on Lovers Lane. Am I correct?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 13:14:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

This thread was pre me here. No one gave Maynerd any recamendations. Are you still here Maynerd? That was a year ago and I bet you can give us the dallas best burgers map by now! My recks are Kellers and Joe Willys. I bet there are pleanty of other good places, but those are the only two I know of.
    Joe

Hey, PapaJoe8, what about "CHIPS" in Dallas? Do you remember a small Dallas hamburger chain, "The Point After"? THEY had the BEST burgers!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 13:20:54 (permalink)
    Now that I think about it, There is really only one "five star" hamburger chain.
    "What A Burger" out of California. Now that's a hamburger chain to be proud of.
    All others pale in comparison.
    I doubt anyone who's ever had the pleasure of eating there would disagree.
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 14:52:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

Now that I think about it, There is really only one "five star" hamburger chain.

You got that right. I wish they would expand into this area.
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 19:35:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

Sounds good -- got any more information? All I can dig up online is the Texas chain (a favorite of the Hill family, I believe, but they say they don't have any locations in CA.)
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 20:23:32 (permalink)
    They range from Georgia to Arizona. It looks like close to a hundred stores in Texas.

http://www.whataburger.com/findwb.cfm
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/10 20:41:12 (permalink)
    Oh, okay -- that Whataburger I know. Twinwillow said they were in California so I thought it might be another chain. There are a few unrelated What-A-Burgers in the Southeastern U.S. so I thought it might be a situation like that.

Thanks.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/11 01:20:30 (permalink)
    I am so sorry! I mean't "In-n-Out" not "Whataburger" I must really be getting old.
    Very sorry! "IN-n-OUT". That's the place.[|)]
    www.in-n-out.com
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/11 01:43:55 (permalink)
    Twinwillow:
    Before you posted your correction, I was going to ask if you had ever tasted an In-and-Out burger!
    They really are the best...I miss them so much here in back East,
    While I would love for them to expand, I realize that expansion could very well mean dilution of quality. Certainly the case in many other chains!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheeburger-Cheeburger, never-never again 2006/06/11 02:07:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

Twinwillow:
    Before you posted your correction, I was going to ask if you had ever tasted an In-and-Out burger!
    They really are the best...I miss them so much here in back East,
    While I would love for them to expand, I realize that expansion could very well mean dilution of quality. Certainly the case in many other chains!

I understand that they are inundated with requests to expand or franchise outside of California, Nevada and Arizona. But, they refuse to grow to fast because they are afraid their quality will suffer.
    There are approx. 200 stores spread out in the above mentioned states.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1