Cheese Steak

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/05/20 15:57:36 (permalink)
I live by Pittsburgh, and been to Philly a few times. I don't get it. Cheesesteaks are one of the easiest sammiches to make. The hardest part is finding good bread. And while the bread is probably the most important part, any decent sized city will have a good bakery. ONLY Amoroso for cheese steaks or ONLY Gonella for Italian beefs is hogwash. 

Anyhoo, roast pork with broccoli rabe sammich should get much more recognition. I love cheesesteaks, but those things absolutely destroy cheesesteaks.
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1794
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/05/20 18:14:41 (permalink)
There is some truth to what you say...............and now watch me be run out of town by the "true" afficiandos. I can never show my face at another Phillies Game!  But yes, Preparation is the key...and there ARE breads almost as good as Amoroso in other places. Like many things ( hot dogs, pizza, burgers, and of course Cheessteaks) people get passionate and somewhat territorial about their "goodies".  As someone who grew up on Cape Cod MA and must be an extra 10% seaswater fromn all the fried clams I have eaten, I can tell you THE Best were made by a gal in Englewood Florida.  Admittedly she had retired to FL from Hingham MA, But they were HEAVEN!  And much of the clams you now get in NE actually come from the Maryland area.

And.....if you really want to get the dander flying, just start talking to someone about the Nantucket Scallops Hogwash!

(all in fun......no death threats, pls!)
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 864
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/05/20 22:40:50 (permalink)
When I was growing up in North Philadelphia, the norm was sliced steak rather than chopped. I still seek that out when I can find it.
fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/05/21 10:59:59 (permalink)
I think the best cheesesteaks are actually in south jersey. I hate whiz except on a cheesesteak and pat's geno's and Jim's all suck. Tourist traps. The roast pork sandwiches in Philly are great along with the soft pretzels. But finding a great cheesesteak is like trying to find a great slice of pizza in Manhattan. Few and far between
clark7781
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/26 00:32:46 (permalink)
I've only been in the area for a short time, but I have learned a lot.  The BEST hoagies are at Primo Hoagies!  And I REALLY love cheese steaks from Steve's and Pat's.  I was told that Liscio's is the place for rolls (I know Primo Hoagies uses them, and I think Pat's does too.)

Regarding the rolls, I got to know the owner of the Primo Hoagies shop around the corner from my current residence (thus my frequency at his place).  He buys ONLY par baked bread from Liscios and finishes the baking in his store.  He said it is worth buying par baked bread and baking it throughout the day so customers get a fresh roll.  He said corporate dictates how it is baked, (A hard, cruchy roll with a soft inside), and some cutomers do not like it (he has to abide by corporate rules), but he promises that the rolls he serves are finished within a few hours of the cutomer buying it.

I've been eatting at a lot of places and some suck, but others are OK.  I can tell that the general population praises Amoroso roles, but I think they suck compared to other suppliers out there!

And why is it when you order a cheese steak in the suburbs it is either with American or Provolone cheese?  Whiz isn't offered, but seems to be a Philly thing?

And oh, the local news paper, the Bucks County Courier Times, said the best hoagie shop is Lee's Hoagie House.  I ate there.  Once.  Place sucked.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/26 17:58:59 (permalink)
Lees is one of those places surviving on reputation and nostalgia. I find that I get the best hoagies at Italian delis that are primarily meat markets and also do sandwiches. They have the best and freshest meats
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 08:52:10 (permalink)
Clark, you live near my brother. He lives across from Neshaminy High School. Regarding Lee's, there's one right around the corner from where I work (Marlton), but I have never been. I do agree with the poster who mentioned South Jersey having the best cheesesteaks. I guess it's OK if you've never been to Philadelphia and have to try the tourist places, but I would not be one to recommend. I owe Steve's Prince of Steaks a visit. I pretty much grew up around there, and it seems their steaks are still the same - excellent and a little bit different in that theirs aren't rough-chopped. I have said it before, but I still highly recommend Gaetano's, which has several locations here in South Jersey. I also tried Claymont Steak Shop in Claymont, Delaware on Super Bowl Sunday and really liked it!! I'll have to post some pictures sometime. Regarding the bread, Amoroso is not the only baker of steak rolls, for cryin' out loud. I won't go down the list unless you want me to. Regarding the cheese, it doesn't have to be this and it doesn't have to be that. I've had it with Wiz, sharp provy, regular provy, American. It's all good, and yes I'm a picky eater. No onions!
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 584
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 12:54:37 (permalink)

I see a lot of references to Pat's and Geno's, etc. being called tourist plaes, tourist traps, etc.    Any time I have gone to Pats, I am always amazed at how many of those "tourists" are wearing Phillies or Eagles jersies, have several tatoos (as seen on many South Philly residents), or have on backwards ballcaps with the Phillies "P" logo , .... and they do an amazing Philly accent immitation.     I guess all those "tourists" just like to blend in.     

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/06/27 12:59:35
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 13:14:39 (permalink)
That's a good looking cheesesteak in the original post.  However, I couldn't imagine being in Ocean City and going anywhere but Voltaco's for any kind of sandwich.  I dream about that place during the cold winter months.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7965
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 13:19:15 (permalink)
Glenn1234

I see a lot of references to Pat's and Geno's, etc. being called tourist plaes, tourist traps, etc.    Any time I have gone to Pats, I am always amazed at how many of those "tourists" are wearing Phillies or Eagles jersies, have several tatoos (as seen on many South Philly residents), or have on backwards ballcaps with the Phillies "P" logo , .... and they do an amazing Philly accent immitation.     I guess all those "tourists" just like to blend in.     

Glenn

I always wondered the same thing when I've gone to Durgin Park in Boston- all those tourists with Red Sox Jerseys and thick, thick Boston accents. 
I've given up on Pats, after two tries- thoroughly disappointing.
On an aside, I agree with Harriet and her assessment of Gaetano's in South Jersey- one of the best.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/06/27 13:21:01
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 14:00:07 (permalink)
We once lived within walking distance of a Gaetano's in NJ (and live pretty close to a different one now). Went there quite a bit. It could be very good, but was also spotty. Their biggest claim to fame, as I see it, is the generosity of the sandwiches, and not just the cheesesteaks.

The chicken salad was homemade, and four times out of five was very good. The pizza was drab, and the wings sucked. The cheesesteaks were enormous. To my taste buds, though, they just were not great. And that is my main issue with Gaetano's: the taste of the food. The other issue is quality-control. Every fifth visit or so, something was off - the chicken salad had blobs of blubbery skin, the roll was stale, the meat on the sandwich was long past its prime. Most of the time it was fine, good enough for a no-effort local takeout but, just like any old local hoagie shop or pizza joint, nothing I'd recommend to a visitor.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 14:12:18 (permalink)

We once lived within walking distance of a Gaetano's in NJ (and live pretty close to a different one now). Went there quite a bit. It could be very good, but was also spotty. Their biggest claim to fame, as I see it, is the generosity of the sandwiches, and not just the cheesesteaks.

The chicken salad was homemade, and four times out of five was very good. The pizza was drab, and the wings sucked. The cheesesteaks were enormous. To my taste buds, though, they just were not great. And that is my main issue with Gaetano's: the taste of the food. The other issue is quality-control. Every fifth visit or so, something was off - the chicken salad had blobs of blubbery skin, the roll was stale, the meat on the sandwich was long past its prime. Most of the time it was fine, good enough for a no-effort local takeout but, just like any old local hoagie shop or pizza joint, nothing I'd recommend to a visitor.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be ordering chicken salad, wings or pizza at a cheese steak joint, it's just asking for trouble. On an aside I was looking at a review for a bbq joint in Atlanta recently, and someone slammed it because the Salad and Chicken Cheesesteak sucked.

I've been to Gaetano's three times and there was never an issue with quality. I know Cheesewit has given them his thumbs up too.
I wish, I really really wish I had a photo of those cheesesteaks I had at Pats. Lukewarm meat, the onions were barely fried and only a couple of drops of wiz.
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 14:16:44 (permalink)
Gaetano's is not a cheesesteak joint. It serves cheesesteaks, sure, but it's not like Steve's or Pat's or places like that. It's a little like Mama's in Bala-Cynwyd, with a pretty extensive fast-food menu. Much of their business revolves around pizza, wings, and other deli sandwiches.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 14:22:01 (permalink)

Gaetano's is not a cheesesteak joint. It serves cheesesteaks, sure, but it's not like Steve's or Pat's or places like that. It's a little like Mama's in Bala-Cynwyd, with a pretty extensive fast-food menu. Much of their business revolves around pizza, wings, and other deli sandwiches.

I know, just saying that for a place that serves other stuff, they certainly have a huge variety of cheesesteaks.

I went to both the Cherry Hill and Mt Laurel Locations.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/06/27 14:23:18
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 718
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 14:24:11 (permalink)
Glenn1234 

Glenn

Very well said Glenn1234.  I used to like Pat's well enough (even after I discovered Steve's - my favorite), and there were always plenty of locals on line when I would go. 

Like wanderingjew, my recent experiences haven't been good so Pat's has kind of fallen by the wayside. But whenever I pass by, they are not wanting for business.  My last one at Pat's was kind of on the chincy side. 

post edited by eruby - 2012/06/27 14:35:37
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 14:38:24 (permalink)
Eruby

Both times I went to Pats, the entire sandwich had as much wiz as the edge strip of the bread in your photo
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 14:41:27 (permalink)
My old take-out menu! Haven't seen it in years but it looks the same. All those cheese steak varieties are interesting, but not unusual around here in a sandwich/pizza shop (I've probably had every one listed, except for the chicken versions, which I object to on principle).

In fact, the real cheese steak joints (which is not to say necessarily the best) don't offer all those variations. Broccoli, Caesar dressing, Cajun sauce, ham - they may taste good on a cheese steak but the reason they're on this menu, and the menus of countless similar restaurants in the area, is precisely because they are not a cheese steak joint - they have all that stuff around anyway for the other things they prepare. Pepperoni heated on the flattop was a very popular addition at these places in the burbs, and probably still is.
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1151
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/06/27 15:20:28 (permalink)
I've been exiled to Valley Forge at at the LMVF plant once and some of the locals took me around to the various eateries and they had some excellent cheesesteaks. I've never eaten at Pat's or Geno's so I can't say. I do agree that I've eaten some excellent cheese steaks in Morristown N.J. at CSEDs
goodfoodwarehouse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/16 02:44:33 (permalink)
It's looking superb and yummy. I want this..
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18944
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/16 17:55:24 (permalink)
Won't someone lock this rodhalisi18 idiot out?
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/07/16 17:57:13
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1050
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/17 11:21:33 (permalink)
Pigiron

That's a good looking cheesesteak in the original post.  However, I couldn't imagine being in Ocean City and going anywhere but Voltaco's for any kind of sandwich.  I dream about that place during the cold winter months.

In those winter months, while you are dreaming of Voltaco's, they are closed.  Sack O's is open all year.

ChrisOC
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/17 11:24:11 (permalink)
eruby

Glenn1234 

Glenn

Very well said Glenn1234.  I used to like Pat's well enough (even after I discovered Steve's - my favorite), and there were always plenty of locals on line when I would go. 

Like wanderingjew, my recent experiences haven't been good so Pat's has kind of fallen by the wayside. But whenever I pass by, they are not wanting for business.  My last one at Pat's was kind of on the chincy side. 

Where's the BEEF?
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1151
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/17 11:28:23 (permalink)
Since returning to this thread I've been fortunate (or not) to have sampled the cheese steak offered by Jersey Mike's Subs. (insert shoulder shrug here). Nothing to write home about.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 718
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/17 14:43:41 (permalink)
ChrisOC

eruby

Glenn1234 

Glenn

Where's the BEEF?
Exactly!

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/17 22:56:59 (permalink)
I go back to a previously held contention, that the places that do cheesesteaks and pizza well don't do hoagies well and vice versa. I acknowledge that there may be exceptions and await the responses.
ChrisOC
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/18 11:55:04 (permalink)
This is a hoagie (or sub if you must) from Sack' O Subs, the same place I purchased the cheesesteak in the OP.  They are pretty good.

mochamike
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/20 14:58:53 (permalink)
That looks fantastic.  I still haven't found a really great place in San Francisco yet :/
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/20 15:12:45 (permalink)
If it was just pizza and (hot & cold) subs without cheesesteaks...most quality pizza parlors that offer subs in this area offer excellent subs.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 410
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/07/20 15:37:30 (permalink)
mochamike

That looks fantastic.  I still haven't found a really great place in San Francisco yet :/

Mocha, don't know if it's still there, but there was Marina Submarine, kind of in the marina area. Pretty darned good! 
ChrisOC
Re:Cheese Steak 2012/08/21 09:14:38 (permalink)
ttyson

If it's a sub, it should have lettuce and tomato (and maybe hot peppers).  This is not Philly.

Actually I don't call it a cheesesteak sub
I don't call it a cheesesteak hoagie either
Nor do I call it a cheesesteak sandwich
I just say "I'll have a cheese steak with fried onions, please."  they know to put it on a roll.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1