The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cheese dip vs. Salsa

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
Cheese dip vs. Salsa Tue, 02/3/04 2:31 AM (permalink)

Hola!

When I was a kid, they served both cheese dip and salsa (hot dip) for the appetizer (which was sometimes better than the meal itself). Now, there if no cheese dip. Has the cost of cheese dip gone up so much that the Mexican places do not serve it?

Good cheese dip is "Panchos" brand from Memphis, Tn. Panchos cheese dip is thick and just plain rules.

How does one make their own cheese dip anyway?

Senor

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
    RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Tue, 02/3/04 4:01 AM (permalink)
    The absolute classic chile con queso -- if by classic, one means "what the people who eat this stuff regularly consider to be proper chile con queso" -- is quite simple: one pound of Velveeta, one can Ro-Tel, pinch of cumin. Stir together over low heat until melted.

Anyone who grew up in west Texas and New Mexico has eaten several tons of this stuff.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Tue, 02/3/04 6:53 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

The absolute classic chile con queso -- if by classic, one means "what the people who eat this stuff regularly consider to be proper chile con queso" -- is quite simple: one pound of Velveeta, one can Ro-Tel, pinch of cumin. Stir together over low heat until melted.

Anyone who grew up in west Texas and New Mexico has eaten several tons of this stuff.

Lucky Bishop's right on with this one---Got turned on to this wonderfull Texas treat by Bobbi Baker---remember her--her husband was in the manure business back in Texas with LBJ--So simble to make and so good!!!Although i have made it with a good quality American cheese instead of Velveeta and they are both great! Also served it like welsh rarebit over toast--Texas toast of course! But i believe your right about the cost---havent seen it servered at any resteraunts for free, like chips and dip---only orfered of the menu.

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
        RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Tue, 02/3/04 11:09 AM (permalink)
        I like to sauté finely chopped onion and green chilies and add to melted Velveeta. The Rotel stuff is great. This is just another style.

Ooooops! Forgot the bestest part. Add chopped jalapeños to the cheese dip for a scrumptious kick!

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
          RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Tue, 02/3/04 11:54 AM (permalink)
          Hold the line. Four words for you:

SPICY BLACK BEAN DIP

I made some fresh & from scratch for football weekend. I tell you, I will never go back to salsa again! (Maybe)

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
            RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Tue, 02/3/04 12:02 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

I have certainly eaten my share of it - in fact made it for dinner one night last week.

Senor - most of the Tex-Mex places around here do not serve it "gratis" like the salsa picante and sometimes green sauce as well, but you have to order it as an appetizer.

Some places have white or yellow, but it always has to be ordered.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
              RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Tue, 02/3/04 12:07 PM (permalink)
              one place in delaware serves the best cheese dip with their chips. La Tolteca. they melt white cheese down and it is simply excellent on their fresh chips. The only place I have been to that serves this sauce. at least on the east coast. I beleive La tolteca has 2 locations, Wilimington and down the shore.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Wed, 04/14/04 10:14 AM (permalink)
                Most of the Mexican Restaurants in our area offer the cheese dip at a small price which we order to go with our salsa and chips. It is the white cheese dip. At home, we always make dip with velvetta and picanti sauce. Another dip that we really like is: 1 lb. sausage, fried and crumbled, 2 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese, 1 can rotel. Mix together and heat in microwave. Great with Tostito Scoops!

bibelot

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Wed, 04/21/04 5:53 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by renfrew

one place in delaware serves the best cheese dip with their chips. La Tolteca. they melt white cheese down and it is simply excellent on their fresh chips. The only place I have been to that serves this sauce. at least on the east coast. I beleive La tolteca has 2 locations, Wilimington and down the shore.

YES! La Tolteca is great - we have moved out of the area and miss it very much. Renfrew, do you know exactly how they make their wonderful chili con queso?

Farfromhome

• Total Posts: 108
                    RE: Cheese dip vs. Salsa Wed, 08/11/04 11:53 PM (permalink)
                    I lived for 40 years of my 42 years in Texas and since moving to California one thing I really miss is the tex-mex restaurants and a dish they called chile con queso which was basically melted cheese with onions, green chiles and sometimes tomatoes thrown in. I've yet to find anything resembling chile con queso in a Mexican restaurant in this state - I honestly believe its some kind of conspiricy that they don't serve it! I complained about the lack of chile con queso in this state to my daughter who still lives in Texas, and she went to one of the chain restaurants in Houston and begged them for their recipe which is as follows:

1 lb velveeta
                    1 can cream of celery soup
                    1 medium sized onion chopped fine
                    4 stalks celery chopped fine
                    1 small can chopped green chiles
                    3 small roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped

Cube the velveeta and put it in a microwave safe casserole dish then basically dump in all the other ingredients except for the chopped tomatoes. Heat on half power for 3 minutes, then stir and keep repeating this process until its all melted and blended together then stir in tomatoes and serve warm with tortilla chips! Note : if its too thick, thin it with a few teaspoons of milk.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com