Cheese waffer type snacks

Author
Poot
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/08/03 03:12:07 (permalink)

Cheese waffer type snacks

I'm a newbie and glad I found this site 'cause maybe someone here remembers this snack. The name has eluded me for years and is driving me nuts!!! I remember going with my mother to an A/P store (I was maybe 6 to 8 years old...ok, I'm 54 now) for groceries and if money was ok (rarely) she'd buy us this treat. It contained a thin layer of a spreadable type cheese sandwiched between two pieces of a textured waffle type material which tasted cheesy as well. They were round and flat, maybe 1/4 thick, and had a yellowish color all over. Seems they came in a tube sorta like todays Pringle's and were maybe the size of a silver dollar. Surely I'm not the only one who ate these but even my sister can't recall their name although she ate her share of them too. Any ideas what they were called and who made them? I did a search here for cheese snacks but nothing turned up.
Thanks in advance for the help!!!

5 Replies Related Threads

TerrierMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Cheese waffer type snacks 2007/08/03 07:04:44 (permalink)
    Cheese Waffies, perhaps? http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat.asp?c=28&p=1&id=362&newp=

Never seen 'em here in New England. But I have friends elsewhere in the USA who love them
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Cheese waffer type snacks 2007/08/03 15:41:49 (permalink)
    I remember them and love them. My favorite was a bleu cheese flavor. The cheddar is still avaiable, but seems a bit salty. (or my tastes have changed?).
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Cheese waffer type snacks 2007/08/04 18:57:04 (permalink)
    Yeah, the cardboard tube was ideal packaging - they come in mylar bags now with plenty of breakage potential

Never seen the bleu numbers, they sound great! I saw swiss flavor, pretty good, but any waffie supply is kind of off-and-on around here.
    Poot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Cheese waffer type snacks 2007/08/08 12:19:00 (permalink)
    BINGO!!! I knew someone besides me liked these and would remember what they were called. As a kid I remember they were great and I loved them although my parents having spare money for such a treat was rare. I don't however remember them coming in anything other than chedder but then this was a long time ago. Now they come in a bag?! Think the packaging tube Pringles uses today is still a good idea and would better suit this treat then a crushable bag. What are they thinking but then what do I know! Anyway, thanks again for solving an issue that's bothered me for years and you betcha I'm going to buy some. I'll sadly bet they won't taste as I remember though. Y'all have a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Cheese waffer type snacks 2007/08/09 09:21:03 (permalink)
    I remember them too and a few years ago, I bought a box of Old London brand ones (cheddar filling). They tasted just the way I remembered but they were awful. They were way too salty and the cheese had a very artificial flavor but in 1958, they were a wonderful treat.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1