Cheeseburger In Paradise

Author
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
2006/11/13 12:11:08 (permalink)

Cheeseburger In Paradise

Anybody been to this Jimmy Buffett themed chain?

I took my sister to the Greenville, SC location for lunch Saturday. Casey like to eat there. I'd never had the food before though I had enjoyed an evening of libations last year. In fact, that's my favorite thing about this place, their drink menu. They are the ONLY place in my area where I can enjoy a mojito, which is high on my list of favorite cocktails.

Casey had the mini-cheeseburgers plate while I opted for the Cuban Sandwich (I just wasn't in a cheeseburger mood). Her little burgers were tasty (I sampled one) and while my Cuban was pretty good, I took issue with the bread. It was served on a sub type roll that had some bite to it. But Cubans are supposed to be smashed flat, right? This wasn't. The fries were tasty.

My mojito was off that day as well. I think there was a lemon in it. Not bad, just not as good a mojito as was expecting.

The place was packed for lunch and noisy, with a singer doing a set as well as typical restaurant noise.

I'll be back, but it's not high on my list. I do want to work my way through the rums they have on offer, though.

Anybody else been to one of these places? Or a Margaritaville?

25 Replies Related Threads

abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 14:17:32 (permalink)
    There have been a couple of Cheeseburger in Paradise threads in the Burger board. Here's what I said there, when I went there for a family birthday party (not my choice):

Ok, here it goes...it was not as bad as it expected (please don't throw things at me!) I was expecting much worse after what everyone said here. I ordered a side salad, and the dressing was by far the highlight of the whole meal- the Island Dressing (a cream-based curry dressing) was really good. I'd definitely go back for the salad. In addition to the salad, I had a pina colada and the mushroom swiss burger with the sweet potato chips....it seems that their theory is "Make it salty/sweet/greasy enough and people will like it." It wasn't a terrible burger (plenty of cheese, unlike Saint Matt's experience) but it was very salty, and didn't have much else going for it, and it was more well-done than I asked for. The pina colada, while tasty (didn't even taste the booze and it had chunks of pineapple in it, with a nice cinnamon-y flavor...a llittle too ice cream-y though) was VERY sweet.

Yeah, it's a lot of hype- definitely not the world's best burger, as it was billed when the chain first moved into my area. I can think of 10 places that are better in my area (when we heard it would be a 35-45 minute wait to seat our party of 10, I suggested we go to The Choo Choo across the street- a classic old burger place where your food comes to you on a model train! The wait only ended up being about 20 mins., though.) But I'd definitely go back for the salad, and the service wasn't bad- our waitress was nice enough to ask if I wanted bleu cheese sprinkled on my salad- I most certainly did not and I appreciated her asking.
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 14:29:49 (permalink)
    I didn't think to look in the Burger board. I tried to do a search but my browser freaked out.

Cheeseburger in Paradise isn't spectacular but it isn't awful either...just a run of the mill chain.

abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 16:36:15 (permalink)
    Definitely- unimpressed with the burgers, but the salad was good.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 19:04:10 (permalink)
    Both are close to me...
    I think there is another thread started on Cheeseburger, but I couldnt find it.
    I am not impressed with either. A fun place to go though.
    Margaritaville does have some good Jamaican wings.
    Jamaica Mistaica Wings
    **Our wings tossed in habañero-honey wing sauce with cucumber sticks and mango ranch dipping sauce.

I have noticed that Cheeseburger does offer some Gluten Free items on its menu.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3444
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 19:14:55 (permalink)
    Cheeseburger in Paradise is not in any way affiliated with Jimmy Buffett or Margaritaville. They just stole the name from the song, and he lost his lawsuit.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 19:40:54 (permalink)
    Cheeseburger in Paradise is most certainly affiliated with Jimmy Buffet. He was originally a partner with the Outback Steakhouse corp but now makes more getting royalties. Another tidbit I just learned today, his uncle is Warren Buffet.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 20:27:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by felix4067

Cheeseburger in Paradise is not in any way affiliated with Jimmy Buffett or Margaritaville. They just stole the name from the song, and he lost his lawsuit.

Just google Cheeseburger In Paradise, and you will see the story.
    ""By license by Jimmy Buffet...""
    Check out the facts sheet.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 21:30:11 (permalink)
    Huh. Must've been another chain I was thinking of. A couple of years back (maybe as many as five), there was a huge thing because someone was using the name of one of his songs as the name of a restaurant chain, he sued them, and somehow lost.

I haven't the time to google anything ATM, as I'm running out the door to work in a few. But I'll look it up later.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 22:10:15 (permalink)
    If it's the same one I know of, there was a bar that wanted to call it's outdoor eating area "Margaritaville"- Buffet sued them and lost.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/13 22:17:51 (permalink)

I see one of the stores on I-65 at the Franklin Exit (I think) a short way south of Indy. We haven't been at the spot at a mealtime, with any desire to stop, so I can't report on the quality. It looks a lot like a Red Robin to me...so I have NO Problem passing it by!
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/14 02:47:02 (permalink)
    I started a thread on CIP a while back, and overall, the food was not that great. The exception is their house salad. It is awesome. Their burgers are nothing special, although they are definetely better than fast food burgers- however, Wendy's may be an exception to that rule. I've never had an appetizer I liked, and very few meals. The last time we were there, my wife got their steak salad, and liked it, although she ordered the steak cooked medium and it came out well done. For the price, it's just not worth it, in my opinion.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/14 03:45:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bbqjimbob

I started a thread on CIP a while back, and overall, the food was not that great. The exception is their house salad. It is awesome. Their burgers are nothing special, although they are definetely better than fast food burgers- however, Wendy's may be an exception to that rule. I've never had an appetizer I liked, and very few meals. The last time we were there, my wife got their steak salad, and liked it, although she ordered the steak cooked medium and it came out well done. For the price, it's just not worth it, in my opinion.

I tried to find that thread.. I knew someone had started one, and i remember posting to it.
    Can you find the link to show improvisor?
    I am sure he would like to see it.
    Thanks for speaking up.
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/14 04:36:48 (permalink)
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/14 07:56:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by abe_froeman

If it's the same one I know of, there was a bar that wanted to call it's outdoor eating area "Margaritaville"- Buffet sued them and lost.

THAT was it! Sorry to cast aspersions (however briefly) on Cheeseburger in Paradise.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/14 12:11:00 (permalink)
    I had the same thing happen, bbqjimbob- I asked for my burger medium rare and there wasn't really any pink when I got it. It was more like medium. What are they, Red Robin? At least Red Robin tells you upfront they don't do medium rare.

What's the deal with that- is there that high a rate of people getting sick from undercooked meat that they have to protect themself? I can understand a place like that not doing "blue", or even rare, but they can't leave it a little pink? Yeesh. Most restaurants just put a warning on the menu. They're the only place I've been to that won't even do it.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/14 12:31:15 (permalink)
    It's the kind of ground meat that is used Abe. If it has intestinal stuff it is not safe to cook rare, I think?
    Joe
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/14 14:03:25 (permalink)
    Right- aren't your chances of getting sick from undercooked meat really low if you're using ground steak, as opposed to the part regular hamburger comes from? (Sorry, not totally familiar with cow anatomy!) I thought Red Robin uses steak.
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/16 14:59:13 (permalink)
    I glanced through the original thread, thanks for digging it up.

You know, I got to thinking. It seems like the CIB chain is much like Jimmy Buffett himself these days...mediocre. I used to be a big Jimmy fan, I love his older stuff. I actually think he's a great ballad singer/interpreter. He should do a tour of his slower songs, I'd definitely be interested in attending.

But his new stuff? Does nothing for me. He just doesn't seem to be trying anymore. His albums are thrown together in a matter of days and it shows. I think I've listened to Far Side Of The World maybe three times all the way through since I bought it.

But his choice in covers is still great. Without him, I never would have heard "U.S.S. Zydecoldsmobile", a great song.

Anyone agree/disagree?
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/16 16:04:24 (permalink)
    After living in the Keys for almost 10 years, and with every band playing Margaritaville, and Cheeseburger in Paradise, I got burned out on him 15 years ago.
    I dont even make any attempt to listen to anything new, nor do I want to.
    I saw him once in Miami, way back in the 70's..During his heyday.
    Cant remember if I enjoyed it or not.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/16 16:07:24 (permalink)
    yeah...Miami + in the 70's x Jimmy Buffet concert = brain having recall difficulties.
    Makes mathmatical sense to me!

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/16 19:40:04 (permalink)
    I've seen him in concert five times now, and plan to see him yearly until he doesn't tour any more. He doesn't play much of the newer stuff in concert (unless you count Fruitcakes as new), but he does a bunch of stuff you never hear unless you own his albums (with notable exceptions, of course). I've never not had a good time, because as any serious Parrothead knows, it's not just about the music, it's the whole experience.
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/19 03:22:12 (permalink)
    felix, you have a good memory. There is a Cheeseburger in Paradise chain in Hawaii that opened up years before Jimmy Buffet went into the restaurant business. Buffet even ate at the original restaurant (in Lahaina) and enjoyed it, talked with the owners, and had no qualms about the name. Years later he decided to enter the restaurant business and that's when he tried to sue to get them to change their name so that he could use the name. I guess he lost because they kept the name.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/04/09/business/story6.html

My husband and I went to one of the Hawaii restaurants recently, and food was less than average. The burgers were so bad, my husband thought they were preformed patties from Costco, the fries were greasy and soggy, poor service, and just a total unpleasant meal. We were seated near the kitchen and the employees were having a wild time spraying each other with cans of whipped cream which landed all over the floors and each other, laughing, yelling, and acting totally infantile. (It was an employee's last day at work). I thought the manager would step in and control the situation, but instead, he got in on the ruckus. I will never go back there again. When they first opened, they had a great spinach nut vegetarian burger that was excellent and is no longer on the menu. Too bad.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/19 03:46:41 (permalink)
    friend of mine just emailed me and said she was going to see him-Jimmy B... in Tampa last week.
    I emailed her back, and said "WHY"?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/19 20:43:10 (permalink)
    Dang. All this time I thought this thread was about "Jimmy's Buffet".
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Cheeseburger In Paradise 2006/11/19 20:58:17 (permalink)
    Your right Abe, raw steak is Ok, it's that others stuff that might make you sick.
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1