Cheesecake Help Requested

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6432
2013/10/18 21:53:34 (permalink)

Cheesecake Help Requested

This thread is a plea for help from my baking friends

I have made this cheesecake for 20 years now and for some reason the last 4 times I have made it it has not turned out the way it had for 18+ years.  It should have been dense, moist and "cheesy", but the last times I have made it, it has become a lighter and less dense YUCK!

Here is the recipe:

NY Style Cheesecake

1 lb cream cheese
1 lb ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups Sugar
4 Large Eggs
1/2 Stick Butter - melted & cooled
3 TBSP Flour
3 TBSP Cornstarch
1 TBSP Vanilla
2 Cups Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Place large baking pan 10 x 13 in preheating oven
Boil Water

In large bowl cream the cr cheese and ricotta, add in sugar until smooth
Beat in 1 egg at a time, beating to combine after each egg
Add the butter, flour and cornstarch, until well combined

FOLD in sour cream

Pour into 9 inch spring form pan (tight sealed)

Place spring form pan into baking pan in oven, pour boiling water into baking pan
about 2/3 up the side of the spring form pan.

Bake for 50 minutes, turn off oven leave cake in oven with out opening the door for another 30 minutes.  Remove cake from oven and chill overnight.

This has worked for 18+ years, but for some odd reason it is puffing up and is not the same dense vanillay wonderful cheesecake

HELP

9 Replies Related Threads

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/10/18 22:11:26 (permalink)
    You can drain the ricotta to add density. Make sure you're using whole-milk ricotta not part-skim.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/10/18 22:29:51 (permalink)
    If you beat the cheeses more, adding more air the result will be a fallen cheese cake which its sounds like your trying to get.  Normally should rise like a soufflé, by overbeating it will rise then fall, and perhaps crack, but you've got butter so not sure it will crack.  We like a rise in ours so we beat less time making sure the ricotta is sieved or run thru a food processor first to make it smooth, then the cream cheese is beat in quickly at room temp.  Resulting in a short beating time, and a rise.  Sounds like you want to do the opposite, if you've made it successfully before most likely something in your method has changed, or using different ingredient fat content.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6432
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/10/19 16:40:26 (permalink)
    I usually use the cr cheese and ricotta at room temp, and drained.

I have tried hand mixing / stick blender / electric mixer

It NEVER rose before, now it is poofing and then falling, and that is throwing the density off.
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/10/19 17:27:25 (permalink)
    I would not use ricotta ever in a New York style cheesecake.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/10/20 01:18:59 (permalink)
    The quality/density of the Dairy products may have changed. Dairy producers are doing things to extend their products by adding air, chemicals and changing processes.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/10/20 06:49:08 (permalink)
    ... hummmmm ....     all I can suggest is to make sure the Flour is not 'self rising'   ... examine the all the ingredients, something is acting as a leavening agent. Thus the flour would be the prime suspect.
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/10/20 12:06:35 (permalink)
    gonna sound like a stupid ?.are you using the same brand.my wife noticed a different taste when she made something with a wrong brand i picked up for her.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/10/20 12:43:57 (permalink)
    CK,  When I was a kid my Mom purchased, one volume at a time, the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of cooking at our local supermarket. Other kids read comics and teen magazines, I read these from cover to cover. The recipe for Lindy's cheese cake was in one of the volumes. I do use less zest than the recipe calls for and only the lemon and I have also cut the recipe in half before and made it in a glass deep dish pie plate. My Mom, who generally never eats the crust on anything always ate every bit of this cookie crust. For anyone who makes this recipe, I apologize ahead of time as I do tend to tweak things I make and my tweaks may not be in this recipe. 
    Lindy’s NY Style Cheesecake
    Filling:
    2-1/2 pounds cream cheese (5 (8-ounce packages)
    1-3/4 cups sugar
    3 tablespoons flour.
    1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
    1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    Pinch of vanilla bean (inside pulp) or 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
    5 eggs
    2 egg yolks
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    Cookie dough crust:
    1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon gated lemon rind
    Pinch vanilla bean (inside pulp)
    1 egg yolk
    1/4 cup butter
    Make the crust: Combine flour, sugar, lemon rind and vanilla, make a well in center and add egg yolk and butter. Work together quickly with hands until well blended.
    Wrap in waxed paper and chill thoroughly in refrigerator for about one hour.
    RoIl out 1/8-inch thick and place over oiled bottom of a 9-inch spring form cake pan. Trim off the dough by running a rolling pin over sharp edge.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake 20 minutes or until light gold. Cool. Butter sides of cake form and place over base. Roll remaining dough 1/8 inch thick and cut to fit the sides of the oiled band.
    Make the filling: Combine cheese, sugar, flour, grated orange and lemon rind and vanilla.
    Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, stirring lightly after each addition. Stir in cream.
    Assemble the cheesecake: Preheat oven to 550 degrees. Fill form with cheese mixture.
    Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200 degrees and continue baking one hour.
    Cool before cutting.

joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Cheesecake Help Requested 2013/11/10 06:21:28 (permalink)
    oh i definitely agree that it's the dairy products and changes that have been made to them that is the problem!!

check the ingredient lists for things like mold inhibitors as well as oils (that don't belong there in the first place and/or higher amounts if they are normally included during production) like soybean or canola. and the eggs - ugh!  chickens aren't vegetarian and all the big farms only use soy feed

try using organic and/or fully pastured items instead and see if that does the trick. 

actually, using raw items would be best - and no, raw dairy is NOT bad for you!!  it's actually good for you since the milk/cheese/cream has all the nutrients still in it (unlike the pasturized stuff, all the good stuff is killed by that process).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1