Cheese-filled sausages!

Author
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
2004/08/31 00:08:32 (permalink)

Cheese-filled sausages!

Recently, we've discovered the cheese-filled sausage and exclaim it to be one of the most delicious tasting foods around. We tried two different brands (Eckrich and Johnsonville), both of which were excellent although IMHO Johnsonville Bedder Cheddar came out just a tad ahead of the Eckrich ones. We grilled em up on the Foreman grill, then ate them in a toasted potato hot dog roll, dressed with (on mine) mustard and cole slaw. If you love smoked sausages, you should try this one--and I don't normally like half-smokes.

2 Replies Related Threads

Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Cheese-filled sausages! 2004/08/31 14:52:13 (permalink)
    I first fell in love with these in Vienna, which became one of my favorite cities by virtue of having a sausage stand on every other corner. Anyway, they're called "kasekreiner" there and, if I recall correctly, are served either on a white bun or a short, hollowed-out hero roll kind of thing which is not cut lengthwise but simply has one end removed. Brown mustard is available, and perhaps other condiments.

Back home in the States, I get Hillshire Farms' CheddarWurst (5/lb) which I like quite well. My treatment is the same, except without the cole slaw. If I have some sauerkraut I'll sometimes throw it on as well.
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Cheese-filled sausages! 2004/08/31 18:31:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip to the Hillshire Farms Cheddarwursts. Believe it or not, I've also got a package of them in my fridge and they were next on my list to try. Oh boy, now I can't wait! [:0)] I'm afraid I won't be getting to Vienna any time soon (LOL) to try the real thing, but I'll definitely settle for the next best thing. My take on the Johnsonville ones was that if they're from Wisconsin, you've got a pretty good chance of them being good. I got some plain "brats" too. Good grief, though, I know I shouldn't be eating those things--my choloestrol levels are too high as it is!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1