Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2003/10/01 17:03:08 (permalink)

Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought?

Fess up everyone. I know you have all bought some type of magic cooking utensil or device at one time or another "as seen on TV".

Mine was the microwave egg cooker, a 4 egg plastic device that would supposedly cook eggs any way you wanted in the microwave.

I used it once, then moved it around and out of may way in my kitchen cabinet til I finally threw it away.

I know I am not the only one. What have you bought that you wish you hadn't?

46 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 17:10:56 (permalink)
    My wife buys that crap all the time on QVC. Sometimes I believe UPS knows our entire family as they make so many stops at my residence.

She has bought microwave bacon cookers, microwave rotation plates, Aluminum can soft drink storage bins for the frige which Coca Cola just came out with the new 12 pack storage that does the same thing and drawers full of similar crap.

Most of it has been donated to Goodwill.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 17:31:13 (permalink)
    In my youth, before infomercials, I used to go nuts at Tupperware parties and end up with a plethora of items that were never used. My husband used to think that Tupperware was a species...the items kept multiplying in my kitchen cupboards! Much of our Tupperware was sold at garage sales or donated to the church rummage sale. Because I am a "soft sell", especially when it's a family member or friend hosting one of these Tupperware, Pampered Chef, etc. parties, I avoid them at all costs. I also don't watch the home shopping channels on cable.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 17:36:30 (permalink)
    I don't like the shopping channels either. I succumbed to the commercials for the egg thingy on "regluar" tv.

Those shopping channels/infomercials can be addictive. Last weekend, as we were preparing to leave the house there was a infomerical on about some chicken rotissere cooker with all these gizmos that go with it. I found my husband and oldest son standing there, car keys in hand, hypnotized.

Just look away and slowly back up!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7015
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 17:47:26 (permalink)
    Glad to say I never succumbed to buying anything I saw on the Tele.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 17:49:01 (permalink)
    I bought some kind of Grapefruit cutter/juicer. But I waited until it showed up in the stores. It worked fine, but I only used it a couple of times. But just a few weeks ago, from Target, I got one of those "As Seen on TV" thingys, which is a folding board to automatically, neatly fold t-shirts, towels, slacks. I have to say it works great and I'm using it all the time. I generally wait for these things to show up in the stores, to have a firsthand look before I succumb to temptation.

But dontcha just love the ones that are trumpeted as "Not Available in Stores"
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 17:49:27 (permalink)
    My wife bought 2 of those things that are a cross between a whisk and tongs. The ad shows them picking up eggs in the shell. They won't even pick up a slice of bacon!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 18:13:17 (permalink)
    The only one I have ever seen that I thought really worthwhile is Ron Popeil's rotisserie cooker. It is worth the money. I have bought others that were cheaper but were junk. Sunbeam, before they went downhill had one for $50.00. I bought it and it bent and broke after the first use.

Ron's is quality, works great.

Just set it and forget it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 19:02:13 (permalink)
    I wasted twenty bucks on one of those little pancake pans---you know the one that you pour the batter into, then just flip the whole pan over and cook the other side. The commercial also showed them cooking eggs overlight in there, which is why we bought it. Hubby was the first to try it out, and he wasted half a dozen eggs before he would believe that it was the pan and not him. Every time he flipped them over, the eggs fell out the opening all over the stove. After that first trial use, it found a permanent home in the trash can.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 20:58:44 (permalink)
    Oh god...the Perfect Pancake....what a WASTE...yes...we tried it...plus the pot with the drainer in the top....which lasts about six months...remember the little chip bag sealers? Bought those too! Used them once too! And about 2 thousand other things that we have mercifully forgotten about/lost/given away/thrown out....
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 23:32:11 (permalink)
    Okay, it's about 4:30 am, Christmas morning, 1991. I'm pregnant with my first child and sitting in front of the TV, suffering from pregnancy-induced insomnia, while my husband is snoring away in the bedroom. What else is on at that time but infomercials? Well, lo and behold, in front of my eyes appears the (drumroll, please) Daily Mixer! The handheld blender thingy that they say you can use to make homemade, all natural baby food, mayonnaise, applesauce, peanut butter, and a bunch of other things, plus you can use it to mash potatoes and grind nuts and coffee beans, but the best of all, it will turn skim milk into whipped cream! Well, I just had to have this, so called the 800 number (more out of curiosity than anything else, wondered if there was anyone answering the phones at that hour on Christmas) and sure enough, someone was only too happy to take my order.

The night it arrived, I rushed out to the store for skim milk to make whipped cream. Believe me, it wasn't nearly as good as it looked. As for peanut butter, mayonnaise or even baby food, it was much easier to open a jar. Mashed potatoes, well, I guess it works, but it's too small to do an effective job. By the time you've mashed the whole pot of potatoes whith that skinny little thing, they're cold. And no one's hungry anymore, because they've already ordered out. And gone to bed.

I can't exactly say I'm sorry I bought it; it comes in handy once in a while, but not as much as I thought it would.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/01 23:35:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

plus the pot with the drainer in the top....which lasts about six months

Is that the "Pasta Pro"? My husband bought me one of those for Mother's Day. I returned it and got myself a pedicure, which is what I really wanted. I get the feeling the pedicure will last longer.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 02:06:09 (permalink)
    My roommate and I used to get drunk and heckle infomercials, "Yeah, but can it make CURLY FRIES!!!??? I bought a quick-defrost tray second-hand out of curiosity. I set an ice cube and a frozen piece of chicken on it and then put it in the Goodwill pile. Watching grass grow was more fascinating. When I click past those infothings, I just think, "Bass-o-matic".
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 06:38:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cakes

My wife bought 2 of those things that are a cross between a whisk and tongs. The ad shows them picking up eggs in the shell. They won't even pick up a slice of bacon!

So did mine,and to put it bluntly---they suck!!
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 07:29:22 (permalink)
    I used to love my inside-the-egg scrambler. Lost it .

Still have Ginsu knives I reach for at least as often as the fancy German ones.

Was never tempted by Mr. Dentist (perform your own root canal).

Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 08:30:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

. When I click past those infothings, I just think, "Bass-o-matic".

MMMMM Del, Now that's some delicious bass!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 10:26:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

I used to love my inside-the-egg scrambler. Lost it .

I can get one!!! Laughed at it for an hour when my brother bought one out of curiosity.He liked to hard boil scrambled eggs! Why, i don't know,probably just to freak out his buddies---madr picled eggs with them once.Its in the cabinet by the fridge in my folks kitchen where it has sat for MANY years!!!
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 11:06:47 (permalink)
    I've never bought anything off of TV, although have purchased a couple of items once they've also become available in stores: the chopper (works so-so), and Moving Men -- little decals you put under heavy objects to make moving them a lot easier. Unfortunately, I haven't had to move anything, so I can't attest to their quality.

What I really want, though, is the Flip Fold, mainly because the infomercial cracks me up.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 11:08:42 (permalink)
    I bought the Ginsu knives too !! Actually not a bad purchase !

I have an uncle that purchased the Ronco Rotissere, and he too loves it !

Not food related, but I once bought some fishing lures that promised a catch with every cast !! The darn things were so big, Whenever I cast them out into the water they made so much racket, birds flew from the trees and I think I even saw some alligators leave the lake and move onshore !! The only thing that got caught from that deal was .... ME !!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 11:21:00 (permalink)
    Ditto with Skylar except I haven't used mine, actually it was my Mom who fell for it. I mean really, with a half inch gap in the sides how are you supposed to flip anything? I'm still trying to come up with something nifty to do with the pancake squirter outer thingy ma bob.
    My pasta pot(another one of Mom's, aka Queen QVC/HSN never leaves the house to shop)the pasta sticks to the faux tefalon coating.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 11:22:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

, and Moving Men -- little decals you put under heavy objects to make moving them a lot easier. Unfortunately, I haven't had to move anything, so I can't attest to their quality.

What always cracks me up about these furniture disk things is that if you have the help on hand to put the disks under the heavy furniture to begin with why do you need them anyway? What I want is something that lifts that big china closet up in the first place!!
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 12:15:52 (permalink)
    I've never bought anything from an infomerical but I do have a strange confession: if I'm channel-surfing and come across the Ronco Electric Food Dehydrator infomercial, I'll watch the whole thing. I'm hooked. I can't turn away. I'm helpless in its power. I don't know what it is. I suspect it's Ron Popeil's teeth. They're too white, too straight, and always smiling. They're obviously plotting something.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 14:32:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

, and Moving Men -- little decals you put under heavy objects to make moving them a lot easier. Unfortunately, I haven't had to move anything, so I can't attest to their quality.

What always cracks me up about these furniture disk things is that if you have the help on hand to put the disks under the heavy furniture to begin with why do you need them anyway? What I want is something that lifts that big china closet up in the first place!!

Oh, you need the Mr. wheel and pulley-omatic.

What's up with those things where you drop in a hard-boiled egg and it drops out the bottom peeled? What on earth happens inside that box? It scares the bejeesus out of me.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 15:29:08 (permalink)
    I think they contain an army of trained beetles (not the singing group ya know, da bugs) and when you drop in the egg, they get to work real fast and peel the egg for you then drop it down !!

They have been trained to enjoy the taste of egg shells !!!

or something like that .... I could be wrong !!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 16:51:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

I think they contain an army of trained beetles (not the singing group ya know, da bugs) and when you drop in the egg, they get to work real fast and peel the egg for you then drop it down !!

Do beetles have opposable thumbs?
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 17:42:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    What's up with those things where you drop in a hard-boiled egg and it drops out the bottom peeled? What on earth happens inside that box? It scares the bejeesus out of me.

Huh? Hard-boild eggs aren't that hard to peel to begin with. Come up with a contraption that will do that with an apple or a potato and well, then you're onto something. But hard-boiled eggs? Please.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 17:54:49 (permalink)
    I bought the stupid tong/whisk combo too. And yes, it won't even pick up a slice of bacon. Stupid things.

Also bought one of those contraptions you should be able to put eggs or tomatoes in and chop them -- you know, first one way, then the other? The damned wires broke on a hard-boiled egg. Sheesh! Must've boiled them longer than I thought.

And this wasn't tv, but that stupid mail order Signatures place -- hint: don't bother. I bought a set of cheap non-stick pans and pots. Hey, $15, I thought maybe they'd last a little while.....ha!
    They started dropping their non-stick service after I got them and put them in the DISHWASHER!!!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 17:59:42 (permalink)
    Perhaps you have these stores in your area but in Sevierville and Pigeon forge, they have build these huge stores stocked with "You Saw it on TV". I have stopped in there several times and they have enormous stock selling all kinds of crap that coud not be sold in China, so they shipped it here.

Every type of cheap kitchen appliances known to man, garden stuff, car stuff and even cheap motorcycles that seem to be popping up everywhere that sell for $99 bucks up.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    kdiammond
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/02 21:41:21 (permalink)
    I have a dear friend who bought me a Pampered Chef spatula -- you know the kind with the flexible sort-of spoon shaped head. Got to say have had that spatula for about 5 years. I use it all the time and it has loooong outlasted the cheapo kind. Other than that, well am a traditionalist when it comes to the kitchen. Other than my stock pot and some pyrex (and a KitchenAid mixer), I am cast-iron all the way.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cheesy infomercials - what have you bought? 2003/10/03 11:08:00 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

Do beetles have opposable thumbs?

Nope,only Beatles do,.....beetles have opposable jaws.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1