The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cheez Whiz Varieties... Past and Present.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
Cheez Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Mon, 08/30/10 4:47 PM (permalink)
I made a mention about a "spicy" Cheez Whiz on a thread about Philly Cheese Steaks. I remembered using it in recipes years ago. Now I think it was "jalapeno cheez whiz"? It was some tasty stuff.

What I learned after looking around the net is that there is not a good list of Cheez Whiz discontinued varieties available. If there is it is hard to find.

Maybe Kraft would rather we just forget about their discontinued stuff?  Lets fix that! I need help from the folks here who are way better than me when it comes to finding out about food.

And, what about the current Cheez Whiz varieties available?
Joe

Edit; It "cheez" not "cheese" Whiz! Daa
<message edited by PapaJoe8 on Mon, 08/30/10 7:58 PM>

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
    Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Mon, 08/30/10 7:12 PM (permalink)
    Right now I have the Cheddar and Bacon flavor. It is surprisingly good on a Wheat Thin. I have had the Jalapeno flavor but not for a long time. I don't recall seeing any other flavors.

I am sure that if you contacted someone at Kraft, they would be happy to give you a list.

JMHO

David O.

PapaJoe8

Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Mon, 08/30/10 7:49 PM (permalink)
      Good to see you Chef! That C&B Whiz sounds good.

The Jalapeno Cheez Whiz was discontinued quite a while back. The net has quite a few recipes calling for it. And quite a few customers who were displeased because it was discontinued.

I expected to find a list of current, and discontinued, Cheez Whiz products on the net but no such luck. It may be there but it was not asy to find. Thus my thread here. Maybe we can have a list?

One current product;

Cheddar and bacon Cheez Whiz

One discontinued product;

Jalapeno Cheez whiz

Maybe if I had spelled it right "cheez" and not "cheese" I would have had better luck? I think I will try to go back and edit. Hey, this stuff is NOT cheese!

The longest journey began with a single step.
      Joe

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
        Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Mon, 08/30/10 11:16 PM (permalink)
        It is kind of interesting:  I can get no response to a Google search for Cheddar and Bacon Cheez Whiz, but Salsa Con Queso Cheez Whiz and Cheez Whiz Light are listed on the Kraft Foods website (along with regular Cheez Whiz).

PapaJoe8

Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Tue, 08/31/10 12:34 AM (permalink)
          Yep 6star, I could only find the 3 types at Kraft. Maybe the bacon is already gone? Or? It is new and not on the site.

I saw mention of a Tex-Mex that was once to be had. Oh, and a pimento. Not sure if these were for real though?
          Joe

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
            Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Tue, 08/31/10 5:19 AM (permalink)
             The Kraft website, kraftfoods.com lists only 3 items: American, Sharpe Cheddar, and Cheddar'N'Bacon.

BTW  went to their site after posting and found a great recipe for quick salmon cakes. (We have an abundance of salmon here.) Wife shared them with the neighbors and all loved them.

David O.

p.s. I didn't use the package spelling in my search on the site and ended up with 120 different results.

LOL
            <message edited by boyardee65 on Tue, 08/31/10 5:24 AM>

PapaJoe8

Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Tue, 08/31/10 1:43 PM (permalink)
              Those CW salmon cakes sound good. Did yall use the bacon?

Wow Chef, I saw the same web page 6star did. It had 3 kinds but they were;

Origional, Lite, and Salsa Con Queso.

This is gettin weird.

I did have trouble w/ the site though... something about my browser.

Speaking of recipes, there are lotsa recipes using the jalapeno CW but it was suddenly discontenued. Some folks were not happy.
              Joe

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Tue, 08/31/10 2:33 PM (permalink)
                What happened to the tubes of cheeze whiz-like stuff? I used to use a lot of the garlic flavored. It made the best cheese grits.

PapaJoe8

Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Tue, 08/31/10 3:27 PM (permalink)
                  Mb, good question! I also remember the tubes and have read that many folks used the garlic CW in recipes. Where did both go... and when?
                  Joe

PapaJoe8

Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Tue, 08/31/10 5:57 PM (permalink)
                    This is gettin weirder and weirder.*&^%#@

ChefB, I can find no Cheez Whiz in any of the 3 types you mentioned above. Are you sure you were looking at Cheez Whiz? I think you are talking about Kraft Easy Cheese. It DOES come in those flavors. Maybe this Easy Cheese is an offshoot of Cheeze Whiz? I think I have even had some and yes... good on crackers.

I could also find no garlic CW. I did find mention of a Cheez Whiz Italia. Maybe that was the garlic CW we remember MB???

I could also not find a tube. I did find a Cheeze Whiz Squeeze listed as out of stock at Amazon. It is a squeeze bottle.

I also saw a #10 6.5 can at Amazon. It was also out of stock. I bet that is what they use in Philly!?

I also went to Hometownfavorites. They have a great list of long gone food products. All I saw there was the Cheez Whiz Jalapeno.
                    Joe

PapaJoe8

Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Tue, 08/31/10 6:50 PM (permalink)
                      I just answered a question at Answers.com / Wikianswers.

The question was why Kraft cheez whiz with pimientos hardly has any pimientos anymore.

It's because there is no Cheez Whiz with pimientos.

I did find a store in the Pilippine store that claimed to have it but... the Picture of the jar was regular Cheez Whiz and even that was out of stock. My take is that it never existed. Not w/ pimientos anyway.

I think we need a new thread called;

Cheez Whiz Urbin Legions
                      Joe
                      <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Tue, 08/31/10 6:57 PM>

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                        Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Thu, 09/2/10 11:02 AM (permalink)
                        I just contacted Kraft and they said the tubes of garlic cheese were discontinued because they did not sell enough. The web site has a recipe for making your own, but the point is that it was a good short cut, so no deal for me. 

PapaJoe8

Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Thu, 09/2/10 6:42 PM (permalink)
                          MB, neat that you got some kinda answer! I could not even find a picture, or much mention, of that garlic tube... or any tube on the net. The squeze bottle is as close as I got but it was just the original CW. Not sure even it is still sold?

Hmm, that "Italia" ??? Maybe it was never sold in the U.S??? I can find little info about it.

Many folks used the jalapeno version in recipes but then it just vanished.

Kraft should do some kinda history of Cheez Whiz. The info is just not to be had.  Someone better than me at digging stuff up might help? Or, maybe who cares. Hey, It's just Cheez Whiz...

Oh MB, did you tell them about this thread.
                          Joe

PapaJoe8

Re:Cheese Whiz Varieties... Past and Present. Tue, 10/19/10 4:22 PM (permalink)
                            I think many folks are confusing the Kraft "Spread" stuff that comes in small decorative jars w/ actual Cheez Whiz.

Kraft has made the whole Whiz info deal a Big secret for some reason.*&^%#@

Think I'm wrong? How bout finding a list of Cheez Whiz varieties,,, past and present? At this point I think there is a very short list for both.

The "Italia" still has me stumped???

But... I know, I know, who cares about all this stuff anyway!!! :~)))
                            Joe

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com