Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question

Author
DerekP
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/11/15 20:02:16 (permalink)

Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of creating an informational product for chefs and restaurant owners. Can you tell me, on a scale of 1-10, which idea you like most?

1) How to save money by lowering food costs

2) How to prevent employee theft

3) How to make sure you pass a health inspection

Thanks guys, you rock!

16 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6622
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/16 14:19:35 (permalink)
    Are you kidding? What chef doesn't know about food cost? What chef doesn't watch the inventory carefully enough to prevent theft? And HEALTH INSPECTION?????? Wow. I would invite the Health Inspector into my kitchen AT ANY TIME. And I always got 100%, my employees never stole from me and my food cost (fine dining restaurant) was below 33%.
    DerekP
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/16 15:47:53 (permalink)
    Wow, IIeechef, that feedback was definitely helpful!

However, please realize many chefs and restaurant owners probably aren't quite at your level. I'm sure your restaurant is successful, which in itself means you're ahead of other restaurant owners, as many are just barely breaking even.

So I got a couple questions for you:

1) Out of the above choices, which do you think restaurant owners are most concearned about?

and

2) What do you, personally, a chef at your level, want to wish you knew more about?

Thanks again, your feedback definitely helped!
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/16 16:27:28 (permalink)
    Again, why does this forum attract so many first-time posters? With these kinds of questions?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6622
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/16 16:46:02 (permalink)
    1) money

2) nothing
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/16 22:23:07 (permalink)
    Wow. Way to welcome someone new to the site.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/16 23:20:44 (permalink)
    Derek-these are just soooooooooo basic questions-and basic knowledge to ANYONE in the food service chef/management area-what are you trying to accomplish???That would be helpful in answering your inquiry.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/17 10:08:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

Again, why does this forum attract so many first-time posters? With these kinds of questions?

Maybe not clear enough. I meant that from a likely troll point of view.
    KAYLINDA
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/17 11:57:55 (permalink)
    There are so many people who think they can open a restaurant and make money without any knowledge that I won't downgrade your idea at all. If these people could get hold of your information it might help them. However, the only concern in your post to me, is that if you have the knowledge to make your "informational" product, than you already know that every area would need to be covered as well as many more. I took your post as being an honest one, someone who had the idea to do this who wanted the opinions of restaurant owners and chefs. The actual product if developed needs to be directed to "want-to-be" restaurant owners and chefs.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/17 12:49:30 (permalink)
    Derek says he is thinking of creating an informational product. Not a bad idea I think. There is always more to learn. If it had something in it that Llee didn't already know, it would be a winner!

Here is an idea, a collection of articals written by successfull REAL chefs and restaurant owners, directed to "wanna be" and "already be" folks. I bet someone has already done that though. It's real hard to come up with a new idea these days.
    Joe
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/17 18:07:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KAYLINDA

There are so many people who think they can open a restaurant and make money without any knowledge that I won't downgrade your idea at all. If these people could get hold of your information it might help them. However, the only concern in your post to me, is that if you have the knowledge to make your "informational" product, than you already know that every area would need to be covered as well as many more. I took your post as being an honest one, someone who had the idea to do this who wanted the opinions of restaurant owners and chefs. The actual product if developed needs to be directed to "want-to-be" restaurant owners and chefs.

Not only restaurants but also most start up businesses are doomed to failure because of poor planning and serious under capitalization (Back to poor planning).

When we considered leasing out the breakfast/lunch eatery at the hotel I thought about a current employee whose position was being eliminated. He had been with us for five years as the Revenue Manager, some years prior to that he had been the manager of a Denny’s type restaurant and burned out on it. On a couple of occasions Ed had mentioned that some day he would like to have his own small breakfast/lunch place, hmm, a marriage made in heaven?

Before speaking with Ed I convinced the owners that giving him the first year rent free to get him on his feet was in our best interests. That was four years ago, Ed’s still there, our guests love him, and the guests at neighboring hotels support him.

John
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/17 18:33:07 (permalink)
    Well, as a formerly successful multi- restaurant owner, I feel u'r questions are for a new-bie owner..Anyone still in business after a yr in this competitive field has solved those problems or they are GONE!!
    Big Sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/17 20:08:16 (permalink)

Perhaps everyone is just not as smart as you ! Why don't you try this; if you don't like the question or post DON'T REPLY. I can't believe posters on this board can be so rude as to treat someone looking for help with this kind of attitude.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/18 08:08:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Sausage

I can't believe posters on this board can be so rude as to treat someone looking for help with this kind of attitude.

Looks to me what the poster is after is free advice they can go sell to other people. A little different than just looking for help.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/18 13:18:03 (permalink)
    BigS, I kinda agree except.... some threads have started this way and ended up with some real good info.

Neb, we should get a small %%% maybe? Then we would all be happy, or at least I would be. DerekP ?????
    Joe
    Big Sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/18 13:50:39 (permalink)
    Looks to me what the poster is after is free advice they can go sell to other people. A little different than just looking for help.

I've seen plenty of post on this site especially in the cart vending business asking for advice with many replies as how to start their business or advance it. I believe those people were selling hot dogs to make a profit and weren't offering a percentage of their profits for the advice.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Chefs/Restaurant Owners - Quick Question 2006/11/18 14:02:02 (permalink)
    Your right of coarse BigS but, that is part of what this site is about, advice and help from the other roadfooders. Man, the things I have learned here! I try to give back a bit also. I understand your point though.
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1