Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva)

Author
wabbitslayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
2012/08/01 08:20:28 (permalink)

Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva)

3 day trip this weekend up to Cherokee, NC; looking for places but not finding anything.  There's a thread from 2010 about Granny's Kitchen, which will probably give a try for breakfast one morning, and a place called Peter's Pancakes.  There really doesn't seem to be much else that there's any sort of consensus on (not that there is about Granny's, most reviews are love-it-or-hate-it).

Any ideas?

8 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10085
    Re:Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva) 2012/08/01 08:45:51 (permalink)
    I haven't been there, but in the latest Roadfood book, the Sterns write about a place called Jarrett House in Dillsboro.  Sure sounds like a great place.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva) 2012/08/01 08:53:28 (permalink)
    wabbitslayer

3 day trip this weekend up to Cherokee, NC; looking for places but not finding anything.  There's a thread from 2010 about Granny's Kitchen, which will probably give a try for breakfast one morning, and a place called Peter's Pancakes.  There really doesn't seem to be much else that there's any sort of consensus on (not that there is about Granny's, most reviews are love-it-or-hate-it).

Any ideas?

Cherokee is quite touristy. In Bryson City there is a place called the Iron Skillet where we had a quite good breakfast one day, and on another day a nice juicy cheeseburger.
    John Burt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva) 2012/08/01 10:03:00 (permalink)
    The Pit Stop Deli in Bryson City makes a great Cubano.  El Pacifico in Sylva has the best Mexican food in the area by far. Great margaritas too! Lulu's (also in Sylva) has a nice, slightly higher end menu.

You already know about Peter's and The Jarret House. They are both excellent.  There are a couple of Barbecue joints on US 19 between Bryson City and Cherokee but I have not tried either yet.
    wabbitslayer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva) 2012/08/02 15:55:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info....really looking forward to stopping at the side of the road creamery in Otto and the Tomlin's BBQ shack in Dillard, GA....but those aren't too far from me so I'm pretty familiar with them 
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva) 2012/08/03 14:15:13 (permalink)
    I can't shed any light here either.  Cherokee is touristy ( I hope you'll visit the museum as it's worth a visit) but I recall a good coffee shop that roasted it's own coffee and a restaurant on the edege of town that was recommended as a place where the locals eat but I was unimpressed with it.  I've not found anything in Bryson City to recommend itself.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re:Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva) 2012/08/06 14:39:37 (permalink)
    If you don't mind driving a few miles to Waynesville, I can recommend two places:  Frogs Leap Public House (which I thought was exceptional) and The Sweet Onion.  I ate at both places last summer and liked both, especially FLPH.  Also, there are a couple of good places in Maggie Valley that I have enjoyed in the past: Joey's Pancacke House (for breakfast) and Maggie Valley Restaurant.  These spots are probably more traditionally "Roadfood", but all 4 are worth seeking out if you don't mind driving just a few miles.  Good luck!
    johnb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva) 2012/08/15 20:40:52 (permalink)
    If you can make it down to Franklin (about 15 miles south on 23/441 from Dillsboro), Caffe REL is certainly among the best food you'll find in the general area you plan to visit.  It shares a building with the Hot Spot gas station/convenience store near downtown.  Guy who runs it is classically trained and knows what he's doing.  Cash only.
    lanfarm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Cherokee, NC (and area, Dillsboro, Bryson City, Sylva) 2012/08/30 18:37:50 (permalink)
    In Waynesville, go by City Bakery.  All fresh, great sandwiches, incredible pastry, awesome people!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1