Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2006/06/07 19:19:02 (permalink)

Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves

On our recent trip we enjoyed a sample ofCherry Jalapeno Salsa at the SERIOUS TEXAS BBQ in Durango Colorado. It was delicious, so we purchased an 8 oz bottle to bring home. We have two cherry trees with Bing-Type Sweet Cherries and three yellow Royal Anne trees. Up to this point the best they have done is a handfull of cherries for us to taste and hope that next year will bring "More". While the birds did some damage while were gone a bunch of the red cherries are ripening as we type. We decided to test our ability to copy/duplicate the salsa we found out west.

I found the following recipe online at a salsa recipe source and we followed it with a couple of "Adds". We also multiplied it by a factor of three to get the quantity to match the amount of pitted Cherries we had available today.

CHERRY SALSA-
1 1/3 rd cup pitted tart cherries (we had 5 1/2 cups of red but not black/red cherries)

1/4 cup chopped dried tart Cherries. (We used one cup of dried cherry flavored cranberries that we had in the house)

1/4 cup chopped Red Onion.

1 tablespoon chopped canned or fresh Jalapenos. (We bought a small can of Chipotle Jalapenos..not knowing they would be in a smokie sauce...a good thing )

1 clove finely chopped Garlic

1 Tblespn chopped fresh Cilantro (yuck)

1 Teaspn Cornstarch.

Save the juice that drains off the cherries as you pit them (or use bottled Cherry/Cranberry Juice drink- we did) Mix with the cornstarch until smooth.

Put all ingredients in medium saucepan- mix well. Add cornstarch-juice mixture and stir into ingredients. Cook until mixture thickens, Let Cool and bottle for future use. This recipe makes one cup of finished product.

That quantity wasn't going to work for us, so we tripled everything except the Cilantro (I don't care much for Cilantro). To match the sweetness of the Salsa we bought in Colorado we added three tablespoons of Honey to the cooking mixture.

The finished mixture is cooling now. It looks like we got 7 8oz bottle of the Salsa from that Batch. We will try a second time later in the week when we get some more Cherries ripe. Here is a sample of the finished product. It is pretty spicy...not cherry-jam by a long-shot!

20 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/07 19:55:50 (permalink)
    Sounds very good to me Al. I still like the cilantra though.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/07 19:59:45 (permalink)

Thanks, Paul. We don't post many attempts like this, so I was really happy with the results. The Colorado Salsa is sweeter, but we like the smokey nature of the peppery salsa that we 'guessed at'.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4128
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/07 20:20:28 (permalink)
    Looks and sounds delicious. I really like the chunkiness of it. I'm making a pork tenderloin tonite-----wish I had some of your salsa to eat with it!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/07 21:06:39 (permalink)
    Ed

The sample they gave us at the BBQ place in Durango was in the usual paper holder used for Tartar Sauce... But there was enough for us to try it with the Brisket, the Smoked Turkey and the Pork Loin. It was best with the Pork, so your thoughts are right on the money.

Yeah they said "Chopped fine" in the recipe...We didn't get "too Fine" with the pieces of onion or peppers, and the cherries were mainly just in half as we pitted them. After a couple of hours the fruit flavor is picking up a bit and the peppery kick is just right.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/07 21:56:38 (permalink)
    THAT sounds good. Looks good too.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/07 23:32:50 (permalink)
    That sounds wonderful Al! Thanks for posting the recipe. I just wish I wasn't allergic to peppers.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/08 08:14:10 (permalink)
    That sounds fantastic. I want some!
    (and yes, keep the cilantro in it please!)
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/08 08:57:51 (permalink)
    Al, send some over across the river.... sounds great.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7316
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/08 15:21:05 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, that sounds delicious! Z says we have to make a batch this weekend.....off to the store!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/08 18:18:46 (permalink)
    That might even make a good glaze/topping for a pork tenderloin.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/08 18:34:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

...not cherry-jam by a long-shot!

Looking at it, it actually made me think that using just the cherries and chipotles and making Cherry-Chipotle jam would produce something really yummy, too. (With sugar, etc., I mean.)

The salsa looks fantastic.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/08 18:41:27 (permalink)
    Looks awesome! Any idea how long I could keep this in the fridge?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/08 19:35:19 (permalink)

Jennifer

We made 7 bottles in the first batch.

Batch two will be done this weekend as the cherries are ripening quickly. We are picking Bing-Type sweet cherries when they are bright red. So they are a bit tart and not near as sweet as if we waited for the dark-red color to take over. Howver the birds are hitting them as soon as the color changes, so we are trying to beat the birds this year. Since the recipe calls for tart-cherries I think we have hit on the magic compromise. Batch two will contain less of the spicy materials (both Jalapenos and Cilantro) As I want to taste some that has a stronger cherry taste...kind of like the cherry chipotle Jam Bushie mentioned.

Now about storage. All of the canning jar bottles (8oz size) seemed to seal well when the tops "popped-in" as they cooled. We will refrigerate three and keep at least one out to test room-temp shelf life. We did boil/simmer the contents for 15-20 minutes in the prep-stage.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/09 15:38:02 (permalink)
    That looks so yummy!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/10 15:35:27 (permalink)
    Cherry-Chipotle Salsa Recipe- BATCH 2

OK, we learned a lot from the first efforts at creating something from our own cherries. The recipe we obtained from the ‘Net is good, but it is heavy on the spicy peppers and cilantro and didn’t project the fruity taste we found in the Colorado salsa. So working with the initial recipe we did the following.

1. We doubled the amount of Cherries used in Batch 2.(from 5 to 11 cups)

2. We added a cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of honey to sweeten the tart cherries.

3. We doubled the amount of cherry flavored dried cranberries to add fruity body to the mixture.

4. We cut the minced garlic in half (2 tablespoons from four). The amount of Chipotle Jalapenos remained about the same, but we chopped them up with more care (smaller pieces) to spread them more evenly throughout the mixture..Red Onion amount remained the same also.

5. Based on our personal tastes we cut back on the cilantro to about a teaspoonful. (very finely chopped). This too was mixed into the salsa in a much more even stirring.

I have a few photos of the process.

1. The Cherries with the sweetener.

2. The cherry mixture with the onions and garlic added.

3. The bottled product (13 8oz jars)

4. The Salsa while still hot.

Now it has a strong fruity cherry flavor…with the kick of the peppers coming in behind that sweet introduction. That’s the flavor we are looking for. I don’t think the birds will leave enough for another try this season, but we’ll see what we can do with the Apples and our few Pears and Asian Pears.

We are learning. AND it sure is fun to try this stuff with fruit grown right here!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4128
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/10 15:53:49 (permalink)
    Do you think it would work well with frozen or jar cherries?
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/10 16:40:58 (permalink)
    Al, this is sounding good! I like Revision 2, but for my love of garlic, I'd probably have gone the other way..
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/10 16:59:28 (permalink)
    Looks/sounds delicious! If I can find ingredients I'll try some--or something similar, maybe with bluberries?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/10 18:04:22 (permalink)

Ed,
    The recipe called for fresh/frozen/or canned tart cherries. Technically the home-grown don't qualify as tart. However since we picked them before they really sweetened up, they do the job. I think you could make a case for a mixture of fresh and canned or frozen.

Vic,
    I like garlic too. We used it in the first batch to balance with the peppers and cilantro. BAD MOVE... We lost a lot of the Cherry fruit flavor as a result. In my younger days I would have been very happy with the stronger Garlic and Pepper flavor. But this is a milder-gentler me!!

Rick,
    I have seen a lot of citrus and 'Mango' Salsas, but never a Blueberry. Try it and let us know. It sounds great. We are going to have a banner Blackberry season beginning shortly. I think this would work there too...but the seeds in the berries would add a different consistency, I think.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Cherry Chipotle Salsa- Our First Indiana Preserves 2006/06/10 23:30:16 (permalink)
    Since you're experimenting, try a batch made with fresh jalapenos instead of the smoky ones. I'm of the opinion that the fresh peppery piquancy would juxtapose quite well with the fresh tart cherries and onion.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1