Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road?

Author
T_Purr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/03/18 16:56:10 (permalink)

Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road?

We're heading to Destin/Ft. Walton Beach for some (hopefully) sun. Driving down on I-65.

Any standouts along the route?

BBQ in Alabama or Tennessee?

Good seafood when we get there? All help appreciated!

23 Replies Related Threads

ChiBears15
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/18 18:49:28 (permalink)
    Hello and welcome to Roadfood!
    My family and I took I-65 from Chicago to Mobile in early 2013.
    Here are my favorite places to eat along that route:

Prince's Hot Chicken - Nashville, TN
    Miss Myra's BBQ - Birmingham, AL (or maybe it is actually in a suburb of Birmingham...)
    The Brick Pit - Mobile, AL
    The Coffee Cup - Pensacola, FL

Also, one more thing.  If you have time, stop at the Shady Lawn Truck Stop in Ardmore, TN.  It is right on
    the Tennessee-Alabama border.  They have delicious french toast at the restaurant there and they have a huge chicken statue that would be a hilarious photo op.  Have a great time on your trip! 

-Danny

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/18 20:04:29 (permalink)
    Visit Historic Downtown Franklin TN. Just off I-65. Plenty of good restaurants there.
    Will give you a feel for the "Old South"
     http://downtownfranklintn.com/
    Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg TN is a must see!
    Not far off I-65.
    http://www.jackdaniels.com/verify-age?url=visit
    Places to eat. Mrs. Bobo's is a must too!
    http://www.jackdaniels.com/visit#eat
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/18 20:08:40 (permalink)
    ChiBears15
    Hello and welcome to Roadfood!
    My family and I took I-65 from Chicago to Mobile in early 2013.
    Here are my favorite places to eat along that route:
    Prince's Hot Chicken - Nashville, TN
    Miss Myra's BBQ - Birmingham, AL (or maybe it is actually in a suburb of Birmingham...)
    The Brick Pit - Mobile, AL
    The Coffee Cup - Pensacola, FL
    Also, one more thing.  If you have time, stop at the Shady Lawn Truck Stop in Ardmore, TN.  It is right on
    the Tennessee-Alabama border.  They have delicious french toast at the restaurant there and they have a huge chicken statue that would be a hilarious photo op.  Have a great time on your trip! 
    -Danny

Mobile & Pensacola are not on the route to Destin but worth going over there if you have time. ESPECIALLY the COFFEE CUP in P'cola. My favorite breakfast place in America!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15275
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/18 21:54:20 (permalink)
    At exit 99 on the South side of Indy is Jonathon Byrds Cafeteria, right beside the freeway on the southwest side of the interchange. We love the place. read the review in the restaurant section on this site.

If you are not in a hurry, and want a good country family style meal Hubers Family Farm Restaurant is about 20 minutes off the freeway at exit 9 on the north side of Louisville. Wonderfull fried chicken and ham served family style and well worth the few mile side trip.

Decatur, Alabama is the Home of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ. Close to the freeway and excellent BBQ at the north end of the state.

I second the BRICK PIT Recomendation !! Best BBQ in the South in my Humble Opinion. Bill has relocated his business closer to I-65 since we were there last year. He told me he is 'easier to find from the highway now".  I will post directions to his new location shortly.  I just learned the move did not take place.
        NOTE-  The BRICK PIT PIT REMAINS AT ITS LONG TIME LOCATION ON OLD SHELL ROAD. MOVING PLANS ARE STILL PENDING BUT NOT IN THE NEAR FUTURE !!!
    Wintzells Oyster House in downtown Mobile and Pegleg Petes in PensacolaBeach are both great seafood places with Wintell's scoring just a few more points for fun and ambience.
    post edited by mayor al - 2014/03/19 17:05:06
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/18 22:48:56 (permalink)
    Last year, we vacationed in Destin and Panama City Beach; on the way, this was one of our lunch stops....

http://sistersrestaurant.biz/1901.html

Troy, Alabama;   excellent southern buffet; very good chicken, but the vegetables, breads, and the cobbler were the highlights of the meal, and all just outstanding.  It was wasted on my kids, who at 10 and 11 haven't graduated past fast food, well, maybe Jimmy John's, but that's about it.  My wife wasn't feeling very well during the drive, either, so she didn't fully partake.  I loved it, however.   Great stuff.  I think I could eat there every day for a week and be very happy.  
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/19 01:56:21 (permalink)
    McGuire's Irish Pub of Destin
    (850) 650-0000
    33 E. Hwy. 98 Destin, FL 32541 -
    See more at:
    http://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/index.php
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/19 08:29:07 (permalink)
    I second Big Bob Gibson's BBQ. I've never been to the original in Decatur (it's on my bucket list), but back in the mid-80s a member of the Gibson family opened an outpost here in Ocala, FL. Sadly, he had a lousy location, a block off Highway 441 behind a Wendy's — very few people ever bothered going off the main drag to seek him out. My co-workers and I at the local weekly newspaper tried to help him out, going there en masse to eat at least once a week, and even running discounted and (towards the end) free ads for him in the paper, but he wasn't able to make a go of it here, and closed his doors after less than a year. I can still taste his fantastic barbecue and that incredible white sauce. It's a shame more Ocalans didn't discover and support him.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/19 08:40:28 (permalink)
    30 and more years ago one of Mrs. Chicken's family's favorite PCB restaurants was Captain Anderson's.  I can't offer that as a recommendation but as a long-time business it might be worth keeping in mind; hopefully someone here has been there more recently.
    T_Purr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/19 10:45:00 (permalink)
    I should not have looked in so early in the morning, as I will now be haunted by the barbecue cravings all day! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2941
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/19 12:14:13 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood T_Purr!
    I am an ex-Oak Parker, but some time ago!
    I would give a strong recommendation to Zarzour's in Chattanooga.  Very easy to get to from the interstate but open only to 3pm.  Good food, great people, great Roadfood stop. 
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/19 12:21:17 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

30 and more years ago one of Mrs. Chicken's family's favorite PCB restaurants was Captain Anderson's.  I can't offer that as a recommendation but as a long-time business it might be worth keeping in mind; hopefully someone here has been there more recently.

went there last summer; one of our "nicer" meals out when we weren't cooking up the amberjack I caught....Captain Anderson's, if memory serves, was quite good; a little pricy, but tasty.  I don't recall exactly what I had, but I think it was grilled fish; as long as the fish is fresh, hard to screw that up....I think there were good crabcakes there, too.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 449
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/19 14:26:05 (permalink)
    I-65 in Tennessee and Alabama?  Sounds like you need the Marie, Let's Eat! map.  Bookmark it:

http://www.communitywalk....ie_lets_eat/map/939046
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/19 17:10:02 (permalink)
    T Purr-  Use the restaurant guide on this site for info on several of the places mentioned in this thread. Plus if you come down US 231 thru Dothan, AL Hunt's Seafood is another outstanding place for shrimp and oysters and crab-claws. It's on the south sid of town on the bypass hiway. Worth a stop for sure.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 15:19:28 (permalink)
    T-Purr, I will also suggest Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL. They have some of the best BBQ in the world. The slaw isn't that good, but the "Que and their pies more than make up for it. Chris Lilly is a great pit master and those folks have been at it a long time.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 17:30:04 (permalink)
    Here is the BBQ Baked Potato at BIG BOB GIBSON'S in Decatur, AL.  You're gonna need a nap after this one !!

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 19:39:27 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner
    Welcome to Roadfood T_Purr!
    I am an ex-Oak Parker, but some time ago!
    I would give a strong recommendation to Zarzour's in Chattanooga.  Very easy to get to from the interstate but open only to 3pm.  Good food, great people, great Roadfood stop. 

CTD,
    Chattanooga is nowhere near I-65 and the route from Chicago to Destin!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2941
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 19:46:58 (permalink)
    I wasn't going to Destin...I was heading to Florida...and the stop is right off the interstate. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 19:58:01 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner

I wasn't going to Destin...I was heading to Florida...and the stop is right off the interstate. 

OK, but he was asking about the route from ChiTown to Destin.
    Destin is about 175 miles west of where I-75 Crosses I-10 in FL.
    The FL Panhandle is LOOONG! Jacksonville to Pensacola is about 370 miles!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18441
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 20:46:07 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor,
    I am so pleased to learn the Brick Pit is still operating. I thought I read here on Roadfood that it had stopped operating. When I saw your post in this thread I called the Brick Pit and sure enough, they're going strong.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 22:54:36 (permalink)
    MH
    Bill called me a month or so ago and told me of his plan to relocate close to one of the exits on the north side of Mobile. I did not catch the anticipated date of the move, but obviously (from my call yesterday) it isn't coming in the near future.  So the BRICK PIT will continue to be the wonderful institution that we know it to be in it's current location. until further notice. I sure wish they did on-line take-out orders !
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18441
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 22:57:45 (permalink)
    Oh, yeah. I don't see why he couldn't deliver his ribs up here.
    strongy78
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/20 23:24:36 (permalink)
    Have to agree with Mayor Al on this one.  I was in Mobile last June and both those places were awesome. I would get a combo plate (bbq ribs and pork) at Brick Pit and then have a dozen char grilled oysters at Wintzells for dessert!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4013
    Re:Chicago, IL to Destin, FL Any stops we should make on the road? 2014/03/21 01:03:29 (permalink)
    I third the suggestion for the Brick Pit. Here's Bill took good care of the Roadfood gang!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1