The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicago Pizza

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
Chicago Pizza Tue, 06/20/06 1:02 PM (permalink)
Chicago Pizza..........
If a pizza maker residing in New York fallowed Chicago's Pizzeria UNO's deep dish recipe to a "T" would it still be called Chicago deep-dish or is it now called New York deep dish ???...............
Is it the pizzeria where the pizza is made that makes it stand out from all other pizza joints or is it the city where it was made? If I'm sitting in Chicago eating a thin crust pizza and it looks and tastes like a pizza I recently ate in San Francisco then isn't it a SF pizza and not a "Chicago thin crust"
There are 1400 pizza joints in Chicago do you mean that all of them make there pizza the same way? Is there a secret ingredient that they all use that if you ate one of there pizzas in Tucson you would unmistakably exclaim "wow this is a great Chicago pizza"
Deep dish is somewhat unique to Chicago, thin-crust is not, putting a city's name on it is just too funny.
I live in San Jose and my favorite pizza here in town is from Emperor Norton's San Francisco style pizza.............. been going there for over 25 years and still never knew that San Francisco had a style of pizza. I always thought San Francisco was noted for something else, pizza not being one of them. It's not like you'd find bits of Dungeness crab atop your pizza although you will frequently find marinated artichoke.
So what is "real" Chicago pizza? what is it that the 1400 pizza makers in Chicago keep so secret that no other joint in this country can duplicate ?
I guess the same can be said for New York style pizza..............
The tag "real" stuck on to a pizza just does not make much sense,.......... does it?

Tony Bad

RE: Chicago Pizza Tue, 06/20/06 4:00 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

Chicago Pizza..........
    If a pizza maker residing in New York fallowed Chicago's Pizzeria UNO's deep dish recipe to a "T" would it still be called Chicago deep-dish or is it now called New York deep dish ???................
    Is it the pizzeria where the pizza is made that makes it stand out from all other pizza joints or is it the city where it was made? If I'm sitting in Chicago eating a thin crust pizza and it looks and tastes like a pizza I recently ate in San Francisco then isn't it a SF pizza and not a "Chicago thin crust"
    There are 1400 pizza joints in Chicago do you mean that all of them make there pizza the same way? Is there a secret ingredient that they all use that if you ate one of there pizzas in Tucson you would unmistakably exclaim "wow this is a great Chicago pizza"
    Deep dish is somewhat unique to Chicago, thin-crust is not, putting a city's name on it is just too funny.
    I live in San Jose and my favorite pizza here in town is from Emperor Norton's San Francisco style pizza.............. been going there for over 25 years and still never knew that San Francisco had a style of pizza. I always thought San Francisco was noted for something else, pizza not being one of them. It's not like you'd find bits of Dungeness crab atop your pizza although you will frequently find marinated artichoke.
    So what is "real" Chicago pizza? what is it that the 1400 pizza makers in Chicago keep so secret that no other joint in this country can duplicate ?
    I guess the same can be said for New York style pizza..............
    The tag "real" stuck on to a pizza just does not make much sense,.......... does it?

I always thought it was the way the pie was made that made it Chicago or NY Style. I know there are many shades of gray between the two, many REALLY good shades of gray, but to me NY is thin crust, easy on the toppings, while Chicago is deep dish, in a pan. The other difference is that I can eat a lot more slices of NY style pizza! Chicago style is a lot more filling.

Aljim

• Total Posts: 8
      RE: Chicago Pizza Sat, 06/24/06 10:55 AM (permalink)
      Everyone associates pizza being served in Chicago as only deep dish
      style.There is a restaurant in Chicago called Home Run Inn on West 31st St that makes one of the most popular thin crust pizza's,and they have been doing it since 1947.They have 2 or 3 other locations
      in the suburbs.They also have an extensive menu of pastas,Italian beef and sausage,and other delicious items.So come and enjoy

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
        RE: Chicago Pizza Sat, 06/24/06 7:27 PM (permalink)
        Here in Cincinnati, we have an excellent small chain pizzeria called[url='http://www.miospizza.com']Mio's[/url]. They make an excellent stuffed crust pizza, and proudly proclaim it to be "Chicago style". I've had stuffed pizza at Mio's and at Giordano's in Chicago, liked both, and do indeed feel it is a faithful rendition of a Chicago style stuffed pizza. At my last job, several of my co-workers were from Chicago,and after sampling this pizza, confirmed it.

So I do feel that the pizza style can be duplicated elsewhere.

That said - it always seems as if the <name of any given regional specialty> is better if purchased and consumed in the region it comes from. I would never say that Mio's is better than [url='http://www.giordanos.com/main.php']Giordano's[/url], for example - only "nearly as good".

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Chicago Pizza Sat, 06/24/06 8:12 PM (permalink)
          Around here in West Michigan, if it's called Chicago Style, it's nothing more then a deep dish.. And when I say Deep dish, I mean a thick lip on the crust, and a thick crust itself. They really dont add anymore toppings then the norm here (and as I've said many a time, the majority of the pizzas around here bite, though I have found 3 somewhat decent places now in the last 20 years)..

Aljim

• Total Posts: 8
            RE: Chicago Pizza Mon, 06/26/06 9:29 AM (permalink)
            If you think about it,saying Chicago style deep dish pizza is just
            to let people know that deep dish originated Chicago.Personally I don't like deep dish pizza to much dough,that is why my favorite
            pizza comes from Home Run Inn.Is Father and Son pizza still in
            existence.

Chochem

• Total Posts: 2
              RE: Chicago Pizza Sat, 07/1/06 3:43 PM (permalink)
              I was in the pizza biz for about 6 years.

Gino's east is pretty good. We usually get Rosati's. I also like Michael Anthony's in Lombard, IL. House of Pizza in Hammond, Indiana has been excellent for almost 50 years.

I've always heard that the best pizza is on the east coast, Chicagoland area (including NW Indiana), and that pizza west of Kansas City is pretty sub-standard.

Same deal for the roast beef sandwiches like we have here in Chicago. They say that you can't even get'm out west or down South.
              Although Portillo's is going to Arizona or California.

emilylgervais

• Total Posts: 3
                RE: Chicago Pizza Sun, 07/9/06 10:26 AM (permalink)
                Rosati's has places all over Chicagoland. Not bad at all. There is a place in Wheeling, IL called Wa-Pa-Ghetti's that is my absolute favorite, since I have been a kid. Being a Chicago native though, I am having a hard time finding GOOD Chi-town piza in S.FL.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com