Chicago Road Trip - Paradise Pup and Gene and Judes - http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/

Author
Gumbo191
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
2009/10/24 14:18:10 (permalink)

Chicago Road Trip - Paradise Pup and Gene and Judes - http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/

Paradise Pup
1724 S River Road (Near Ohare)
Des Plaines, IL

(1 Spork = Poor 5 Sporks = Great)

Food: 5 Sporks
Service: 4 Sporks
Atmoshere: 4 Sporks
Price: 4 Sporks
Worth Returning: 100% YES
Sweet Tea: This is Chicago, NO
Coke or Pepsi: Coke

My quest for some of the best roadfood led me to this non discript roadside burger joint just minutes from Ohare airport that come to find out was featured on Food Networks Diners Drive In's and Dives. Known for their char burgers with with Merkts Famous Cheddar Cheese the burgers are fresh and char grilled over an open flame then served on a toasted challah bun with your choice of grilled or raw onions along with the standard compliments.

You can view the actual preparation on YouTube by following the link below which also includes a visit to Chicago's own Wiener Circle. While the char burger was incredible I was more impressed by the Char Dog, a Vienna beef dog char grilled and then served Chicago style with pickles, onion relish, mustard, sport peppers and tomatoes. The charring added another dimension to the all beef dog and gave the dog more texture and flavor.
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL9hvMRTMb0</a></font></font></b>]http://www.youtube.com/wa...lt;/font></b>

Expect a short wait as there are no tables at the Pup and lines usually wrap around the building. Inside you place your order and wait for your name to be called and you may be lucky enough to snag one of the bar stools and enjoy your meal. To finish your meal add the 3 way fries smothered in Merkts cheddar, sour cream, and real bacon pieces. Don't forget the Chocolate Banana Shake! Bring your cash as no credit or debit cards are accepted and the burgers can be pricey at $4.29 for the cheese burger with Char Dogs around $2.50.

Gene and Judes Red Hot Stand
2720 River Road
River Grove, IL

Food: 4 Sporks
Service: 3 Sporks
Atmoshere: 3 Sporks
Price: 2 Sporks
Worth Returning: Yes
Coke or Pepsi: Coke

This is a no frills adventure on the cheap serving only hot dogs and tamales. No tables inside only chest high counters to stand and enjoy your dog and hand cut
fries. These are Vienna beef dogs boiled and served on a soft bun topped with onions, sport peppers, mustard and pickles. The fresh cut fries are piled on top of the dog and wrapped together in wax paper. The photo here is of the double dog which as the name implies is 2 dogs in one bun. Prices here are dirt cheap with a single dog and fries for around 2 bucks! Good thing its cheap because this is a cash only establishment.

http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/
post edited by Gumbo191 - 2009/10/24 14:23:55

6 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Chicago Road Trip - Paradise Pup and Gene and Judes 2009/10/24 14:19:48 (permalink)
    Yum!  Those both look great!
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re:Chicago Road Trip - Paradise Pup and Gene and Judes 2009/10/24 14:23:52 (permalink)
    True Chicago(land) legends. No horseshoes here!
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Chicago Road Trip - Paradise Pup and Gene and Judes 2009/10/24 14:59:03 (permalink)
    Nice report. I've been wanting to go to Paradise Pup since watching that episode of The Cheeseburger Show...that and Wiener's Circle
    johnnyb62
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Chicago Road Trip - Paradise Pup and Gene and Judes 2009/12/27 19:31:46 (permalink)
    my mom lives 2 miles from Gene & Judes everytime my kids see her we have to stop no frills but these are the only dogs they eat.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Chicago Road Trip - Paradise Pup and Gene and Judes 2009/12/27 22:25:29 (permalink)
    I've been to Paradise Pup a couple of times; there's usually a long wait in line but it's definitely worth it. The char-broiled burgers are quite impressive.  
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2985
    Re:Chicago Road Trip - Paradise Pup and Gene and Judes 2009/12/28 17:43:19 (permalink)
    I frequent both places and enjoy them both1  I love the three Way Fies at the Pup with Merkt's cheddar, Bacon and sour creqm.  also, the very raspberry shake is a winner.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1