Chicago Steak

Author
Ted K
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2004/04/28 00:11:55 (permalink)

Chicago Steak

I'll be in Chicago for a day on May 29. What's the word on the most enjoyable steak house in Chicago these days? The last time I was in Chicago for steak was in 1963 at George Diamond's. I've been living in Southern California since then. Ted K

13 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/04/28 01:30:28 (permalink)
    I like Gene & Georgetti best. One of a kind!
    Shane
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/04/28 11:12:36 (permalink)
    Gene& Georgetti's is great, but dont forget about Gibson's. One of the best in the city, plus a good place to watch the Chicago power elite. Sort of a hang out for the seen and be seen crowd (at least those who can afford it!)
    Rick76
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/04/28 12:19:01 (permalink)
    I prefer Gibson's over Gene & Georgetti's. I like their steaks better and have always gotten better service at Gibson's as well.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/04/30 07:32:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shane

Gene& Georgetti's is great, but dont forget about Gibson's. One of the best in the city, plus a good place to watch the Chicago power elite. Sort of a hang out for the seen and be seen crowd (at least those who can afford it!)

You might want to take a look at the Chicago board over on Chowhound, (Sorry, Roadfood hosts, but I did put a recommendation to this board over there). There is a lengthy discussion re: Gene and Georgetti's over there.
    glennpan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/04/30 09:21:10 (permalink)
    The Chicago dining landscape for steak has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years.

Some of the old elite standbys most notably Gene & Georgetti's, and the Chicago Chop House have gone way downhill, and are just shells of their former selves. Service has plummeted, prices are very high, although the steaks aren't too bad. But for that type of money, it should be excellent.

Right now Gibson's is viewed as the top steakhouse in Chicago. Keefer's has gotten a lot of press lately as the top newcomer, and serving both great steaks and seafood (I haven't made it there yet). Even Smith & Wollensky's (a NY chain) has surpassed the G&G, and that is something that really pains a Chicago native to say.

Last year I had an unbelievable steak at the Millenium steak house, although they may have closed since (heard a rumor that I have not yet confirmed), and I still like Jack Gibbon's Gardens (in S suburbs).

Glenn
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/04/30 10:18:33 (permalink)
    I have had great steaks recently at Wildfire and Morton's. Wildfire has a bacon wrapped horseradish crusted filet that is outstanding and I usually don't like filets.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3300
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/05/04 09:18:51 (permalink)
    Gibson's has the finest bone-in filet in the world. They encourage sharing too. Wildfire has an excellent bone-in filet. It's not on their menu and you must ask for it.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1087
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/05/04 10:52:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by glennpan

Keefer's has gotten a lot of press lately as the top newcomer, and serving both great steaks and seafood (I haven't made it there yet).

I went to Keefer's in February and I thought it was excellent. I had a ribeye and they ask how marbled you want it. I went for heavy marbling cooked medium rare. It was cooked perfectly and very flavorful. Two others I was with got filets which they really liked and one got the dover sole which she said was very good. We each got a different potato dish. My favorite was the potato croquettes which came with a cheese sauce. The potato pancake was also very good.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/05/05 00:51:10 (permalink)
    I just saw a piece on Keefer's on Food Network's "Best Of".. I have to say, it looked pretty good. Giant hunks of meat. It'll be on my list of places to try when next in Chitown.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/05/05 08:50:55 (permalink)
    I have been to both Gibson's and Gene & Georgietti. IMHO, G&G is better. Their steaks are better and the ambiance is more to my liking. Gibson's tries too hard for me. Keep in mind that thesea re two fine places competing to be the best in a big restaurant town.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/06/22 16:09:15 (permalink)
    Just reading this makes me hungry.

I had a good steak recently at Pete Miller's in Evanston. Not sure if it's the best in the city, though. I've always been happy with the steaks at Chicago Chop House. Gibson's and Morton's are too noisy and crowded, and the last time I was at Morton's, someone lit a cigar up at the next table halfway through my dinner, ruining my entire experience.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/06/25 20:55:15 (permalink)
    danimal, no one should be subjected to second hand smoke, especially smoke as noxious as from a cigar. Most especially no one should have to remain in a place that allows smoking so as to make a living. Despite all the whining from Chicago bartenders, no, their business will not disappear if they can't allow some patrons to poison others OR THE WORKERS THEMSELVES. Illinois politics statewide has gone through a sea change, I understand. Complain to us about the cigar smoker, and we'll sympathize with you, unlike the restaurant managment, but first write your representatives in the Legislature, as well as the new governor, and demand your right to breathe oxygen in every restaurant. Right now is an ideal time to do so.

Pete Miller's in Evanston? Tell us more, please!
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Chicago Steak 2004/07/03 21:03:09 (permalink)
    Well, Pete Miller's, what can I say? I was only there once, and it was a while ago, so I'm a little forgetful on the exact details of my steak, but I did leave very happy. I had a N.Y. strip and my friend had a filet, and we traded bites, and I found both were delicious. Definitely the best steak I've had on the North Shore. The service, however, left a lot to be desired. It was a Saturday night, and crowded, and it was so obvious the waitress was trying to hurry us up.

Anyway, it's a fun place, with live music. Great for a date (if I'd known about it way back when, I would have taken my wife there when we were dating.)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1