Chicago Stuffed Pizza

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
2003/03/03 09:36:10 (permalink)

Chicago Stuffed Pizza

Can anyone in Chicago help me out? I lived there from '79 to '86, and enjoyed all the wonderful ethnic foods of the North side, including, of course pizza. I had dined at Uno and Due, Malnotti's, and of course my neighborhood joint LoGalbo's on Southport(now some trendy bistro I hear). I remember going to one place in particular for stuffed pie (spinach and pepperoni was my fav). It had two dining rooms, one had lots of racing photos from Road America.

I did a search on map quest and I want to say it was Giordanos, but I don't remember it being on Rush or that far South. I want to say it was somewhere near the Park West Theatre (brain cells fading...need help). Does anyone know or remember this place? Was it Giordanos and did they move? I have wonderful memories of that pie and want to search it out the next time I visit my brother. Thanx

32 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/08 13:24:47 (permalink)
    Come on man! Isn't there anybody out there from Chicago?
    Shane
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/19 10:39:31 (permalink)
    There is a Giordano's @ Clark and Wells in Lincoln Park. There are several in the Chicago area now...
    Cosmos
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/19 17:36:59 (permalink)
    Thanks, that sounds familiar. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in town and offer a review thats not 17 years old.
    swof
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/19 21:46:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

Can anyone in Chicago help me out? I lived there from '79 to '86, and enjoyed all the wonderful ethnic foods of the North side, including, of course pizza. I had dined at Uno and Due, Malnotti's, and of course my neighborhood joint LoGalbo's on Southport(now some trendy bistro I hear). I remember going to one place in particular for stuffed pie (spinach and pepperoni was my fav). It had two dining rooms, one had lots of racing photos from Road America.

I did a search on map quest and I want to say it was Giordanos, but I don't remember it being on Rush or that far South. I want to say it was somewhere near the Park West Theatre (brain cells fading...need help). Does anyone know or remember this place? Was it Giordanos and did they move? I have wonderful memories of that pie and want to search it out the next time I visit my brother. Thanx

swof
    Junior Burger
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/19 21:49:07 (permalink)
    When I first saw your post I immediately thought of Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder at 2121 N Clark as I lived in Chicago back then and they were known for stuffed pizzas. Also Connies is known for stuffed pizza too. Maybe one of these is what you are thinking of.
    Jim
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/20 03:56:27 (permalink)
    Might it have been Eduardo's
    Cosmos
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/21 17:17:43 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure it was Giordanos. The name rang a bell and shook the cobwebs, but the address on mapquest threw me off...I never did the Rush Street thing. Its been so long since I've lived in Chicago, my brother figures anyplace I used to go to is now closed. I'd like to prove him wrong and re-visit this one...if we can find parking.

In Central New York we can get a luna which is like a stuffed pizza without the sauce on top (its served separate to dip). Its just not the same. I once tried to make it for guests, in my electric studio range. My deep dish pizze pan was wedged inside so tight the heat never got to the top, and the top dough was raw...I was afraid I'd burn it if I used the broiler, so we peeled back the top and went to town.

I need to get back to Chicago...beefs, combos, dogs, Greek, Mexican. I learned to cook because I can't get this stuff anymore. Ah well.....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/21 20:04:42 (permalink)
    I have been to the Giordanos at Rosemont several times primarily because I stay at the Residence Inn close by. I always get the stuff pizza which takes about 30 minutes to prepare. When I get it, I cannot consume anywhere close to the smallest size i order. Always get a salad to go with it. their claim to fame according to posters on the wall is that they were awarded best Chicago Pizza by some poll. I just know I liked it and it was good.
    muzzlehatch
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/03/21 23:50:01 (permalink)
    Actually, I think it was Giordanos. I lived in the Windy City from 83-00 (hope to get back there soon, not a New Englander I find) and I'm pretty sure there was a Near North Giordanos that moved. If it wasn't that, I don't know what else it could have been; only other chain that would make sense is Gino's but I think they just have the one off Michigan Avenue and nothing else anywher close to the Loop. Good hunting! Try old issues of Chicago Magazine or the Tribune or Sun-Times at a library if you really want to be obsessive.
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/04/22 16:50:07 (permalink)
    OK, I think I have proof that the place you're referring to is, in fact, Giordano's. I spent a week on the near North side attending a conference in 1983. I'd never been to Chicago (lived in Texas at the time), so I picked up a copy of Chicago magazine at the airport. The issue happened to be a food issue, and listed Giordano's as Best Pizza. I checked the phone book at the hotel and found a Giordano's at 747 N. Rush, right around the corner. At the time, I smoked, so I picked up a pack of matches when I got the pizza. I STILL HAVE the matches; just found them in a box of old stuff. The local phone # is listed as (312) 951-0747 and the address 747 N. Rush. The pizza was sausage and onion on top with the stuffing from spinach and ricotta; best pizza I have ever had, and I could only eat 4 pieces of a small. Giordano's has a web site from which you can get the pizza ready to cook shipped via air freight; one of these days...
    Cosmos
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/04/22 17:33:48 (permalink)
    Thanks, but I swear the Rush Street address is too close to the Loop for my memory. Although, my memory ain't what it used to be!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/04/22 19:35:07 (permalink)
    I stay in the Rosemont area quite frequently and I certainly enjoy "Giordano's" I always get the smallest deep dish possible along with a salad and try to make it back to the Marriott without falling asleep. I really enjoy their place.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/04/22 21:29:38 (permalink)
    I just HAVE to share this with y'all. Most people don't know that Chicago deep-dish pizza was invented by Ike Sewell, a native Texan who who was a football star at the University of Texas. He opened Pizzaria Uno in Chicago.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/04/22 21:34:11 (permalink)
    I do not care who did it, I am just glad they did. Thanks Bushi

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Cosmos
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/04/23 11:20:30 (permalink)
    Once you live in Chicago long enough that "dis, dat, dem, dere, and doz" is a regular part of your language, it doesn't matter where you came from.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/05/07 12:05:46 (permalink)
    Giordanos has a website that you can order from, giordanos.com. I counted 32 stores including 2 in Florida! There is one near my home in the far western suburbs of Chicago (where we don't say dez, dat and doz!) (far far west!)and I'm not real fond of the "messy" ambience. Its the kind of place that encourage writing on the wall, etc. It always seems dark and grimy. I like Lou Malanatis better and again, they are all over the city and 'burbs.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/05/07 12:09:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

Giordanos has a website that you can order from, giordanos.com. I counted 32 stores including 2 in Florida! There is one near my home in the far western suburbs of Chicago (where we don't say dez, dat and doz!) (far far west!)and I'm not real fond of the "messy" ambience. Its the kind of place that encourage writing on the wall, etc. It always seems dark and grimy. I like Lou Malanatis better and again, they are all over the city and 'burbs.

Just got back from Orlando and I noticed that Giordanos was there. Had a nice facility and was close to my hotel. Stopped by and got a small deep dish whcih is still to big. Very good

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ksgirlinchi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/05/23 11:37:06 (permalink)
    Ok Cosmos, you are in luck - there is a Giordanos on the corner of Halsted and VanBuren in Greektown (don't eat too much!)They also have a small parking lot and if you are not staying in the city, they are conveniently right near the Ike....this is indeed the pie you are thinking of; they dont have as many locations as they used to..
    quote:

stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/05/23 13:23:35 (permalink)
    Yeah, I've got to give a little praise to Giordano's. I know it's a chain, and I wasn't looking forward to going---it was a wedding weekend and we were dining in groups. The sausage deep dish was excellent, among the best of the style I've ever had. This location was downtown, about a block in from Michigan Ave. near the Art Institute.
    jfalth
    Junior Burger
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/05/31 19:11:56 (permalink)
    For Pizza try Gino's west; out near Arlington Heights...
    keefer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/06/03 21:32:24 (permalink)
    I grew up in the suburbs, however, both parents were from Chicago. My favorite stuffed pizza is Nancy's. I went there frequently as a child. It is franchised throughout that area. Much better than Giordano's!!!
    muzzlehatch
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/06/14 19:48:32 (permalink)
    My plug for best Chicago-style would be either Carmens (Evanston and Rogers Park, last I was there), which wins for a slightly better crust than most others IMHO (I just don't think stuffed pizzas are usually known for their crusts) and a high level of consistency. I also liked Edwardos a lot, though that again is a chain. Elephant garlic!
    me_so_hungy8
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/06/20 21:32:47 (permalink)
    I think we all can agree the Chicago pizzas are the food of gods. But I, in my travels have found a pizza place that although not in Chicago is right up there with the rest. Arucola Pizza in Washington D.C. Always fresh, thin crust, just the right amount of oil, cheese, and tomato sauce. My personal favorite would have to be the thin crust with olives and mushrooms. Everything is always fresh so you cant lose!!!
    Wiseguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/07/24 22:32:46 (permalink)
    If you haven't been to Lou Malnati's,you haven't eaten good Chicago pizza.Get the sausage with buttercrust.
    http://www.deepdishpizza.com/index.html
    rainsux
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/12/06 17:09:05 (permalink)
    I like Bacino's [on East Wacker].

-doug
    Fermi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/12/17 12:12:51 (permalink)
    It's only 11 AM here and you're all making me incredibly hungry talking about Chicago pizza! I lived there (in Evanston actually) from 1994-2001 and was fortunate enough to be within walking distance of my two favorite places, Giordano's and Carmen's. To my palate, Giordano's is hands down the best stuffed pizza anywhere. Lou Malnati's is a close second.

I saw a show, probably on the food channel, that outlined the history of both New York and Chicago Pizza, and it was really interesting to learn how Uno got started, and how Gino's, Giordano's and Malnati's all sprung out of that original venture. Funny thing is, I didn't particularly fall in love with Uno's or Gino's, which are the two oldest establishments.

One last note--when I was in college, the nearby Giordano's had half price pizza every Monday night. Half Price! It was such a great bargain, a stuffed pizza that almost feeds 4 for about $7. Domino's can hardly beat that! Thus, Monday night became Giordano's Night.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/12/17 22:07:14 (permalink)
    quote:

Pictures of Road America, pictures of race cars, a dining area in the lower level: "Bacino's Stuffed Pizza" 2204 N. Lincoln Avenue in Chicago owned by Dan Bacin, a fellow car club member in the Windy City BMW club. Stuffed spinach is my favorite too!
    Cosmos
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/12/18 10:34:00 (permalink)
    Thank you, that could be it, I'll have to check if 2204 is too far North, but it sounds right.

By the way, I say Mario Battali's special on pizza in America, and was going crazy at the Chicago segment. He did deep dish at Malnattis and stuffed at Giordanos,very fun to see.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Chicago Stuffed Pizza 2003/12/19 00:43:21 (permalink)
    I've only had a real Chicago stuffed pizza once, which I picked up in Naperville on my way home from a software training conference maybe 10 years ago.

I have to say, it was indeed one of the best pizzas I have ever tasted in my life. I'm a sauce fan, and these pies seem to have more sauce on them than any other pizza type I have ever tried.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1