The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Chicago Style Hot Dog Question:

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Mon, 06/13/11 1:23 PM (permalink)
Question:
While I was eating my Hot Dog at a place called Scruffy's Hot Dogs in Springboro Ohio 85 West Central Avenue I noticed several customers asked for Chilli Cheese Dogs which are not a menu item nor does Scruffy's sell them. Ohio is a Chilli and Cheese Hot Dog town. Alot of these people have never seen or eaten a Chicago Style Dog. How well would a Chilli Cheese only Hot Dog do in Chicago? Do you think Scruffy's should sell them while he converts them to Chicago Dogs? Or should he just keep telling them no?

...Russ

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
    Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Mon, 06/13/11 3:55 PM (permalink)
    That is an interesting question.  It makes me wonder how Sonic's Chicago Dog is going over in general, even if it isn't completely authentic.  We now have a Sonic here in Peoria, and chili cheese dogs have always been more popular (and more available) here than Chicago style dogs, so it might prove interesting to find out how well their Chicago Dog is doing in comparison with their Chili Cheese Coney.  I wish I knew someone that worked there.

WarmBeer

• Total Posts: 77
      Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Wed, 06/15/11 10:44 AM (permalink)
      Russ Jackson

Do you think Scruffy's should sell them while he converts them to Chicago Dogs? Or should he just keep telling them no?

Hard to see a down side to more choices for the consumer.  Folks have all kinds of tastes (or lack thereof).  As long as one is not catering to every whim that comes along and gets distraced from the primary focus, seems like a no brainer.
      ed

Gilberts Sausages

• Total Posts: 31
        Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Wed, 06/15/11 11:00 AM (permalink)
        My best point of reference as usual is Portillo's.  I've been ordering their chili cheese dog for about 20 years, and it's still on the menu.  So I can only assume it sells just fine.  I don't think you'd have a problem selling chili cheese dogs in Chicago

Celery Salt

• Total Posts: 76
          Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Sat, 06/18/11 6:40 PM (permalink)
          There are plenty of hot dog stands in Chicago that serve chili cheese dogs, and I recently found one that I got hooked on for a week straight....Peppe's Hot Dogs on Chicago Ave.  But as my luck would have it, they've closed down with a sign stating a new hot dog place of a new name to open in June.  Not sure if it has opened yet, and I forgot the new name (Ski Dogs I think?), but I hope they haven't changed their chili dogs.

Peppe's, from what I gathered, used a delicious chili dog sauce.  When I ordered a separate order of chili, it was way different.  I think they used 2 different kinds of chili.

Down the street at Chicago Ave (near Damen) is Odge's.  Great, classic Chicago style "Depression Dogs".  Their chili is more beany, but worth a try nonetheless.

Chicago style ingredients are very basic and should be offered everywhere.

ChicagoIrish

• Total Posts: 71
            Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Sat, 06/18/11 9:48 PM (permalink)
            There aren't that many hot dog places that I know of that don't serve a chili or chili cheese dog here...Gene & Judes being one of those that comes to mind that doesn't.  I personally don't order them that often but know of plenty who love Portillo's version (not a fan of beans on my hot dogs).  I would think that since that is the type of dog normally found in the area, he would be wise to offer it while trying to get Chicago dogs accepted.  I still don't care for the full on "Chicago dog"...Depression style is more my thing (mustard, onions & sport peppers).

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
              Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Sun, 06/26/11 3:13 AM (permalink)
              Steve Bell, owner of Scruffy's is a graduate of Hot Dog University. Chili dogs are not a staple at most hot dog stands in Chicago. When we eat chili in Chicago, it's in a cup with onions and cheese. When I train my students, I recommend they offer their customers options that are regional to their pallets.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Sun, 06/26/11 4:59 AM (permalink)
                I love all kinds of dogs, but yah they are regional.  I think stick to what your region mostly prefers,  but also have alternatives.  I love the Chicago style dog, but we make it at home.  A chili cheese dog,  you can find it most anywhere around here but I don't like the ones with beans. 

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                  Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Sun, 06/26/11 11:34 AM (permalink)
                  6star

That is an interesting question.  It makes me wonder how Sonic's Chicago Dog is going over in general, even if it isn't completely authentic.  We now have a Sonic here in Peoria, and chili cheese dogs have always been more popular (and more available) here than Chicago style dogs, so it might prove interesting to find out how well their Chicago Dog is doing in comparison with their Chili Cheese Coney.  I wish I knew someone that worked there.

Sonic is about as common as Mickey D's around where we live (Collin County, just north of Dallas).  Their hot dog TV ad for the various "regional dogs" had me running out to try the Chicago version.  The poppyseed bun and toppings were great, but the dog was barely above room temperature.

Maybe it was just all the cold toppings, but I haven't the stomach to try that again at Sonic.  The next Chicago dog I try will be in Chicago.

Sundancer7

Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Sun, 06/26/11 12:23 PM (permalink)
                    MJ:  I had the same experience with the Sonic close to my house.  I bought all four varieties of their hot dogs.  None of them really appealed to me.  Knoxville does not have anyplace that I know of that has good hot dogs.  I wish they did.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                      Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Sun, 06/26/11 4:37 PM (permalink)
                      I ordered a sonic hot dog at the drive thru with just mustard and drove of took the dog out of the bag and the dog was cold. Threw it back in the bag in disgust and gave it to my dog when I got home.
                      <message edited by ynotryme on Sun, 06/26/11 4:39 PM>

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                        Re:Chicago Style Hot Dog Question: Mon, 06/27/11 6:09 PM (permalink)
                        The 1st word in "Hot Dog" is HOT...

I insist on them being HOT when I eat them at The Peg House (Legget, Calif)...

Do not accept anything less, and let the manager know IF what you get is NOT hot (health departments DO have temperature standards for food service)...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com