Chicago steakhouse reviews

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/11/05 10:09:28 (permalink)

Chicago steakhouse reviews

The Chicago Tribune had a special centerpiece today rating Chicago's best steakhouses on a one- to three-star scale. Interestingly, Chicago Chop House didn't make the cut. The steakhouses getting three stars included Gene & Georgetti, Gibsons, Harry Caray's, Morton's of Chicago, Phil Stefani's, Ruth's Chris and Shula's Steakhouse. Not sure if Chicago Chop House being left off was a mistake or what, but I consider it one of the best in the city.

One footnote - there was a side article about ordering the 64-oz. Porterhouse at Chicago Chop House (despite the restaurant not making the overall list). The reporter and her family couldn't finish it. However, the waiter told them that one "husky" customer polished off two of the 64-ouncers in one sitting and chased them down with a 32-oz. lobster tail. The meal took 2.5 hours to eat. Any Roadfooders out there willing to admit this was them?

27 Replies Related Threads

cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/05 10:15:11 (permalink)
    To quote my 3rd grade self, "Not it!".

I've eaten 2 full orders of Rendezvous ribs in a sitting, but that seems like it'd just be an appetizer to that person...
    fredferris
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/05 12:24:21 (permalink)
    Hi...just discovered this site..truly wonderful, I must say..

One old school steakhouse that is consistently overlooked in Chicago is Biasetti's on Irving Park...recent remodelling took away some of the character, but still tremendous steaks and ribs at dirt cheap prices. They hand carve everything in house, and the quality is right up there with the Gibsons, Chop Houses, etc....not to mention the extremely kitchy Stan Zimmer on the cheesy organ on weekends, and waitresses who have worked there for decades....a true Chicago original
    jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/05 15:14:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

One footnote - there was a side article about ordering the 64-oz. Porterhouse at Chicago Chop House (despite the restaurant not making the overall list). The reporter and her family couldn't finish it. However, the waiter told them that one "husky" customer polished off two of the 64-ouncers in one sitting and chased them down with a 32-oz. lobster tail. The meal took 2.5 hours to eat. Any Roadfooders out there willing to admit this was them?

I'm going to find out which waiter called me "husky" and he's going to be sorry!

Was Pete Miller's up in Evanston on that list? That's a pretty good place to get a steak as well, perhaps not quite the caliber of those mentioned as three-star but still very good.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/05 15:34:14 (permalink)
    Check out the prices on these steaks![|)] www.gibsonssteakhouse.com Ala Carte to boot! My employer takes our overnight clients there on a regular basis...
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/05 16:57:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

Check out the prices on these steaks![|)] www.gibsonssteakhouse.com Ala Carte to boot! My employer takes our overnight clients there on a regular basis...

After I read the first paragraph about the place, I see that those persons who pay those prices can afford it.
    My hometown grocer has both porterhouse and t-bones on sale for $5.99, that fits my budget.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13497
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/05 17:07:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

And I thought beef prices were high in Knoxville. We are not even close.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/05 17:11:51 (permalink)
    How odd, thats a really high chain-to-nonchain ratio.

One would think the absolute best steakhouses would not be in a Chain.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15276
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/05 17:37:08 (permalink)
    I have always (until very recently) considered Doe's Eat Place to be a humble little place in Mississippi that was one of the ultimate Roadfood places in the USA. Now I find that it is expanding...Little Rock, Tulsa, and other places have been listed. The Little Rock Website claims they are independent stores, not related by anything but name. I don't know if the quality of the steaks have been compromised in the expansion, but it's image is sure changing in my "Minds-Eye?
    Is there one in Chicago now?
    Somehow I can't visualize the screen-door on a Chicago restaurant slapping some 'city-folk' on the butt as they leave, With the slow-moving ceiling fans and Sweet-Tea keeping the temperature and humidity at the level so that the customer's Linen suit doesn't wilt, or the helps genteel service not be treated with a Sophisticated City Patronizing Attitude---" How Quaint" !
    Tell me it ain't so, Joe!!!

OH Yeah, On the Plus Side--Welcome to the Roadfood Family, FredFerris. Hope you can add to the reviews of the Chicago area eateries.
    danimal15
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/09 11:38:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fredferris

Hi...just discovered this site..truly wonderful, I must say..

One old school steakhouse that is consistently overlooked in Chicago is Biasetti's on Irving Park...recent remodelling took away some of the character, but still tremendous steaks and ribs at dirt cheap prices. They hand carve everything in house, and the quality is right up there with the Gibsons, Chop Houses, etc....not to mention the extremely kitchy Stan Zimmer on the cheesy organ on weekends, and waitresses who have worked there for decades....a true Chicago original

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to try it sometime. It's certainly more convenient for me than driving all the way downtown. Is it a place that welcomes little kids? That would be another selling point (mine are 4 and 1)
    danimal15
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2004/11/09 11:44:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jlobough

quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

I'm going to find out which waiter called me "husky" and he's going to be sorry!

Was Pete Miller's up in Evanston on that list? That's a pretty good place to get a steak as well, perhaps not quite the caliber of those mentioned as three-star but still very good.

Pete Miller's wasn't on the list, though I think their steaks are great. The service was lousy, however, last time I was there. The waitress kept trying to rush everything, as if she needed to have turn-over. We didn't enjoy our experience. I'll have to go back and give them another chance.

Also, Wildfire wasn't on the list, and I've enjoyed steaks there in the past. But I'm still surprised to not see Chicago Chop House there. My dad and his friend had steaks at a little storefront place on Halsted just north of Diversey recently, and he said they were both quite happy with them. I can't remember what the place is called.

swirsk53
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2008/04/04 17:41:07 (permalink)
    I am from NY and have really enjoyed Gibsons. Definitely priced like the expensive NY steak houses but much more relaxed/noisy etc. Also if I recall the steaks do include sides.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2008/04/05 06:51:31 (permalink)

For Many Years Carson's on N. Wells was our dinner choice when in Chicago. They did a fine steak . Are they still in the running???
    FredSox49
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2008/04/10 21:41:30 (permalink)
    Gibsons is a great experience but they don't include sides. The sides are big enough for 2 or 3 to share. Carson's is still open and although it's touted for its ribs, the steaks are excellent too.
    danimal15
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2008/06/19 17:22:30 (permalink)
    Wow - I can't believe my four-year old post has been revived!

Since 2004, when I originally posted, I've found another Chicago-area steakhouse that belongs in the pantheon - EJ's in Skokie. I've eaten there three times, and haven't come away disappointed yet. Its steaks are on par with any of the downtown steakhouses. The sides are tremendous, and I love the atmosphere - very down-home atmosphere - not fancied up or phony at all.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8362
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2008/06/19 21:01:01 (permalink)
    I have eaten at both Harry Careys and the Chop House.I find Harry Careys to be beter.........
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2008/06/20 18:48:33 (permalink)
    I enjoy Carmichaels in the West Loop area of Chicago. Not cheap, but much cheaper tha Gibsons.
    danimal15
    Re:Chicago steakhouse reviews 2008/12/30 17:45:55 (permalink)
    Chicago Magazine did a cover story on the 20 best Chicago steakhouses recently, and Gene & Georgetti's was their favorite. All the other usual suspects were there. Although Chicago Chop House made the list, the reviewers said it has fallen in quality recently, mainly because the restaurant used to dry-age their steaks and now they use the more common wet-aging method. Most Chicago steakhouses use wet-aging. I think Smith & Wollensky may be one of the few that dry-ages. I haven't been there in 10 years - maybe I'll give it a try.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Chicago steakhouse reviews 2009/01/15 02:31:07 (permalink)
    My budget has traditionally not allowed for experiences such as dining at one of Chicago's premier steakhouses, but, about ten years ago, I was able to visit the Chicago Chop House, not once but twice, thanks to my former employer. I had just reached my 25th anniversary with Amtrak, and I was rewarded for those years of service with a $250.00 gift certificate from the Chop House. This was good for two visits to the CCH with my then-girlfriend, and I have to say that both meals were wonderful. Ribeye is my favorite cut, and never before or since have I had ribeyes like that; simply delicious. Very good sides too. Next month, I'm joining the Roadfood Glee Club gang at Doe's Eat Place in MS, and I'm curious as to how a steak dinner at Doe's will compare to that at the Chop House. Stay tuned...
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2009/01/18 01:56:45 (permalink)
    jeepguy

Check out these prices for one of the the top end steakhouses here in Seattle.:
    El Gaucho
    swvadon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2010/02/21 20:44:32 (permalink)
    It's been two years since I've been at Chicago Chop House, but I've eaten there a dozen times over the years. Ditto for Gene & Georgetti's, Gibson's, Ruth's Chris, Morton's Lawry's, and a number of others. (Thank you, expense account!)

I always thought CCH was the best. G&G tended to be too much of the 'old boy' place, and CCH just had a great atmosphere... I don't know how they age their beef now, but the last time I was there, it was dry aged & wonderful.
    erikkoik
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2010/03/07 15:04:11 (permalink)
    CoastFan

Check out these prices for one of the the top end steakhouses here in Seattle.:

AKA "El Gouge-o" Good food, though.
    erikkoik
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2010/03/07 15:05:12 (permalink)
    Anybody like Myron and Phil's on the North Side (or maybe Skokie). A friend swears by it but in all the years I lived around Chicago, I never tried it.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2010/03/08 20:30:14 (permalink)
    My only issue with reading good reviews of fine steak houses, especially those with good photos of the entrees, is that I really get the desire to go and get one of those dinners  RIGHT NOW !!!  Sometimes that just isn't in the daily plan, and I find myself growling about having to settle for a lower-level alternate choice !
    madison
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Chicago steakhouse reviews 2010/03/13 14:15:10 (permalink)
    Have been to "Bob  Chinn's Crabhouse" in Wheeling many times, not only great seafood but also one of the best ribeyes I've had, hoping to return soon. Also like "Lawry's House of Prime".
    danimal15
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2010/03/16 18:05:52 (permalink)
    erikkoik

Anybody like Myron and Phil's on the North Side (or maybe Skokie). A friend swears by it but in all the years I lived around Chicago, I never tried it.

I've been there but never tried the steaks. It's in Lincolnwood, I believe. It's good for Jewish-style food.
    danimal15
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2010/07/08 13:55:39 (permalink)
    I've been reading terrible reviews lately of Chicago Chophouse. Apparently the ownership changed and the new owners really ruined it. I haven't been there in years. Has anyone else been there lately?
    danimal15
    RE: Chicago steakhouse reviews 2010/10/12 16:48:35 (permalink)
    No one has any thoughts on Chicago Chophouse? I'll start a new post.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1