Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 703
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/29 01:43:54 (permalink)
stricken_detective

BuddyRoadhouse abe_froeman & Mr. Maki (ah, the joys of parenthood),

^^for those who don't know, BuddyRoadhouse is the father of abe_froeman (The Sausage King of Chicago). That is all he meant by this statement. Namaste!!!! 

Thanks for clearing that up, stricken...not sure how that got misinterpreted.  My only children will be four-legged and furry, and not because of something in the water down here.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3732
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/29 02:28:55 (permalink)
I have some Ok photos from today.  Unfortunately, I had to re-install Picasa tonight (stupid new computer), and it has taken a little longer than I had planned.

I will try to post a few pics here, but there will probably also be more on Twitter.  Even if you don't have a Twitter account, you can see mine (they're public) by checking here - http://twitter.com/YourFoodSherpa.  Hopefully, I will remember to hashtag all of the posts as #RoadfoodTour.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 17:30:29 (permalink)
^^The guy who wasn't even going to come is the only one who has pics??? How am I supposed to live vicariously w/o pics?? (Thanks for posting pics, TTM)
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 17:38:19 (permalink)
Well, Aimee, these guys are really not done yet.While I know the bus tour is complete, some of them met after..........
stricken_detective
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 18:43:23 (permalink)
Yeah, forgot who we were dealing with!!!!!
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 18:51:19 (permalink)
Thank goodness for FB and Chitown's pics, but I'm looking forward to more complete reports. It seems that the Chicago part of the tour included Hot Doug's, Wiener's Circle, Mr. Beef, Manny's, Lem's.... Maybe Hoosier Mama and Carson's, but perhaps that came after the official tour, among a handful of RFers. I kind of wonder if the tour made it to a pizza place; none of CTD's pix had pizza, from what I recall.
stricken_detective
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 19:32:28 (permalink)
^^Hey Q I know they went to BROWN SUGAR BAKERY!!!! At least CTD & BB did.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 19:37:44 (permalink)
stricken_detective

Stricken, is that where we had the Peach Cobbler a few years ago during a Contingent visit to Lem's? I don't remember any cakes on the shelves at that place, but I think he just opened up the business, too. I do remember that cobbler, though.... [quijote enters a dreamy flashback]... yes, that was very, very good.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 21:08:50 (permalink)
I missed a very important meet up=Bob is in horrible tooth pain....... and I mean bad!!!!!!!!!!!!We have no insurance, so tomorrow is a look out for a dentist that will help him.Point being, missed friends on the tour....

post edited by ann peeples - 2011/10/30 21:20:59
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4207
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 23:03:39 (permalink)
No pix from me, but I will tell you it was a spectacular day in Milwaukee, Friday.

We made a quick stop in Racine, meeting the group just as they were wrapping up at Larsen's and Bendtsen's.  They were kind enough to share their plentiful leftover kringles with us before we went inside to pick up a few of our own.

We also made a point of picking op a couple of Seven Sisters Coffee Cakes, highly recommended by MilwFoodlovers.  It looked like seven cinnamon rolls tightly encircled within a single larger cinnamon roll.  The flavor profile, however, is more like a creamy almond roll.  Very good and I'll get another next time in Racine.  We made sure to pick up an extra so we could share with the group at their next stop, Serb Hall.

While the bus was on its way to Serb Hall, we shot over to Mitchell Field to pick up The Travelin Man.  Then we ran over to drop him off with the rest of the group while we made our way to Kopp's for cheeseburgers and custard.  What a coincidence: that was the next stop on the bus tour.

We had a fine time co-mingling with the out-of-towners and made some new friends.  we managed to hang out with them at McBob's and The Elegant Farmer before splitting off to join the rest of The Contingent at Beer Belly's for our own Friday Night Fish Fry event.

More details later, gotta run!

Buddy
stricken_detective
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 23:23:54 (permalink)
quijote

stricken_detective

Stricken, is that where we had the Peach Cobbler a few years ago during a Contingent visit to Lem's? I don't remember any cakes on the shelves at that place, but I think he just opened up the business, too. I do remember that cobbler, though.... [quijote enters a dreamy flashback]... yes, that was very, very good.
The same! I remember his cakes, I did take pics of all the yummies in the display case. I think he had you @ "cobbler" though...

I know CTD was there yesterday because we texted him a picture of our Pumpkin Bread Pudding from the Country House in Clarendon Hills & he happily texted back that he was testing the cakes @ that bakery. I looked up at the Froeman/Maki/Roadhouse mini-Contingent & said, "They went to Lem's!!! And to that bakery!" and abe said, "I don't think that was on the tour" and laughed her Evil Abe laugh.

We decided "Touche, Pussycat!" and promptly left for Calumet Fisheries, then Ed's Potsticker house for those smoked pork pancakes. I got 5 orders of them for the Halloween party I was going to last night in Menomonee Falls.I should have eaten one in the car because they went like...hotcakes. Everyone LOVED them.

I have no pics as I'm in the market for a new camera. But I will get one soon as we are going back to the Country House at least one more time for that fantabulous pumpkin bread pudding.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/30 23:36:26 (permalink)
That pumpkin bread pudding sounds really good. What's in it? Cakey or eggy pumpkin bread? What's in the pudding itself?
stricken_detective
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 00:10:42 (permalink)
We were trying to figure it out. You would expect to taste at least a little bit of bread, but it was the perfect marriage of bread, eggs, milk, pumpkin & spices. Served with whipped cream & a drizzle of something butterscotchy-tasting & sprinkles of nutmeg? It's right up your alley!

(i've made bread pudding before. I think they either used crustless bread or cut the crusts off. the bread was VERY fresh, and ratio of bread to the custardy stuff was PERFECT!!!)

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4207
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 03:49:27 (permalink)
Back to Friday's fun...the cheeseburgers at Kopp's (standard issue; ketchup, mustard, relish, and the best grilled onions I've ever tasted that weren't cooked on a well seasoned griddle at a Chicago Hot Dog stand) were just what we needed.  Don't get me wrong, there are better burgers out there (Fred's, Tessaro's, Paradise Pup, etc.), but in the realm of the fast food burger, Kopp's version is a standout delight.  Big as a dinner plate, about the thickness of a Burger King patty, but way better quality meat, the Kopp's cheeseburger is what every corporate chain burger should aspire to, even though it will never happen.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Sundae of the Month, Caramel Apple, was good, but would have been improved by using a tarter variety of apple so as to give a much needed flavor contrast to the sweetness of the custard itself and the caramel sauce.  Still, we didn't throw it away, and it all got eaten in short order.

lefty66, a tour visitor from OKC was kind enough to give me a taste his cone featuring one of the flavors of the day, pomegranate.  It actually had a more intense pomegranate flavor than I was expecting.  I'd give it strong consideration next time they offer it.

After Kopp's, a quick trip across town to McBob's.  Naturally, we lesser beings with limited imaginations went right for the Reuben sandwiches, starring McBob's incredibly tender and flavorful corned beef.  Nothing wrong with that; we were all very happy with our choice.  But over at the buffetbuster table, they left tradition behind and ordered practically everything on the menu except the corned beef.  An array of plates with plump walleye filets and brats nestled in pretzel rolls began to appear.  It was a sight to behold, and made me think twice about ordering the corned beef ever again!  It's more than 48 hours later and I can still see that beautiful, golden brown walleye filet practically calling out to me, "You turned me down for corned beef?  Well go back to your own table and choke it down, suckah!"

I did have the opportunity to talk with some of the out-of-towners about the differences between McBob's Irish corned beef and the Jewish version they were going to get the next day at Manny's in Chicago.  I hope one of them will write up his/her impressions of the contrast.  Doesn't matter which you liked better, just some initial thoughts will be fine.

Next up was a trip to Elegant Farmer.  I was quite satisfied with the Kopp's burgers and the McBob's Reuben, and I knew we had a big meal ahead of us at Beer Belly's, so I restrained myself at the EF.  I passed up free samples of apple pie, and walked past all the other treats tempting me.  Mrs. Roadhouse picked up a tub of their caramel sauce for later use on...who cares, it's Elegant Farmer's caramel sauce.  Put it on a worn out piece of siding and it's going to be good.  She also picked up a few hand made caramel candies and some other stuff.  We passed on getting a pie because we were already overloaded with kringle and had no place to store a pie, either in the car's trunk, or in the fridge at home.

We made a quick stop at the Taste of Home test kitchens to say goodbye to the group before heading off to Beer Belly's to meet a mess of Contingent members who were there waiting for us.  Mrs. Roadhouse and I split a lovely plate of pan fried bluegill filets.  They were good, but with every bite I kept picturing that fat walleye filet on buffetbuster's plate at McBob's.  The highlight at Beer Belly's might have been the exquisite Mac & Cheese.  The moment the first forkful hit my tongue, I knew this was no ordinary M&C!  The deep rich flavor of melted smoked Gouda filled my head.  This represented the very definition of "comfort food".  Frankly, that Mac & Cheese overshadowed every other part of the meal...except the homemade apple sauce brought in by The Pie Diva and son, Martin.

The final act of the day, before heading home to Chicago, was a stop in Waukesha to meet stricken_detective for gelato.  i had a small bowl, split between two flavors, Orange Dreamsicle, and Caramel Apple Sucker, which had the necessary tartness that was lacking in Kopp's attempt at same.

All in all an excellent day.  I hope all the tour members enjoyed their time in our two cities.  Anytime you want to come back for a more in-depth look at the Roadfood scene here, just send me a PM.  If I can make myself available, I'd be happy to show you around Our Town from an insider's perspective.

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 05:35:39 (permalink)
My blackened Cajun-spiced Grouper at Beer Belly's was outstanding. I think I've only had better in Florida.
And thanks for the applesauce, Pie Diva and Martin!

Oh, and we passed around fried clam strips, which were addicting to eat, too. 

Great seeing Contingent members that I haven't seen in a while. There are a few pics, they're up on my Facebook.

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 13:38:34 (permalink)
I plan to post a trip report, but it will take a few days for me to get started.

BuddyRoadhouse, thank you for coordinating Thursday's Greek Islands gathering. We had a lovely time. 
post edited by Ralph Melton - 2011/10/31 16:19:52
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 14:02:42 (permalink)
To all who posted photos on Facebook, it would be nice if we knew how to find you.
cruggeri
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 14:29:37 (permalink)
I'd love to post a link to my pictures here, but I'm not able to. :(  
post edited by cruggeri - 2011/10/31 14:30:40
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3732
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 14:48:31 (permalink)
You should be able to find my photos here.  Admittedly, not many photos have captions, tags or descriptions of what is shown.  I got them up - but, not edited.  It may be awhile before that happens, for sure.  The official tour ended at Lem's, so any pictures you see after that include stops that were made on our own - including running across the street from Lem's to Brown Sugar Bakery, the optional post-tour stop at Lou Malnati's, and dinner at Girl and the Goat.  I also have some Sunday pictures from the stops I enjoyed with ChiTownDiner and our small group that are not uploaded yet.  They include Carson's, Margie's Candies and Red Hot Ranch.  The rest of the group was up much earlier and made a number of stops before I jumped on board.  They may have pictures...or not.
cruggeri
Junior Burger
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 15:21:15 (permalink)
These are great!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 16:21:35 (permalink)
cruggeri

I'd love to post a link to my pictures here, but I'm not able to. :(  

I'll take this as an invitation to post a link to cruggeri's photos: October 27-30, 2011
cruggeri
Junior Burger
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 16:41:33 (permalink)
Absolutely!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 17:09:15 (permalink)
Thanks to you who posted pictures!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 17:53:25 (permalink)
awesome pics.........
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 609
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 20:12:21 (permalink)
I had an awesome time and will try to post my pix soon- All my east coast friends are in my thoughts-I hope everyone was able to get home safely.

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/10/31 20:53:35 (permalink)
Great pics, cruggeri. After a while I thought I had come across pics of your home kitchen and computer room, but I realized that was probably from the stop at Taste of Home!
Rocky Enfield
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/11/01 10:27:12 (permalink)
Oh my gosh, it looks like you guys had a wonderful time.  I am very jealous, my mouth was watering just looking at the pictures!!!  Some day when my kiddos are a little older maybe I can justify getting away for Roadfood Road Trip.  In the mean time I may have to come up to Chicago and just hit a couple of the stops!
cruggeri
Junior Burger
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/11/01 10:55:54 (permalink)
I only wish my home kitchen was at Taste of Home!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2914
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/11/01 17:34:11 (permalink)
And a good time was had by all....
My Roadfood weekend began on Thursday with lunch at Gibson's in Oak Brook with two good friends Rick and Bob.  Rick would be joining me on his 3rd national Roadfood trip the following day, but for now, we struggled with Filet Mignon sliders like only Gibsons can do (if you've had 'em, you know what I mean), crab stuffed avocado (humongous) and shrimp bisque.  As usual, Gibsons was near perfect and our service exemplary....a great start to the weekend!

After Gibsons, it was a short ride downtown and a quick check-in at the headquarters hotel, the Holiday Inn Mart.  our rooms were pre-arranged to have the famous river view as the hotel is located right at the T in the Chicago River.  My room looked across the river down the south branch with at least 8 bridges evident.  there was also a beautiful view to the east towards the heart of the city.  As far as hotels go, the view was the best feature of the hotel.  A close 2nd was the proximity to so many great Roadfood restaurants and other fine Chicago establishments.  The one negative to this hotel was the sheer size and number of floors which made for spontaneous Roadfood gatherings in the lobby  few and far between.  In the past, it was sorta fun to hang out in a much smaller lobby and meet many of the folks as they came in and out. 

After a brief break, it was off to walk the city and a first stop at Rick Bayless's Xoco.  Conveniently located within a short walk of the hotel and contiguous to the Frontera Grill and Topolabampo, this casual eatery was fantastic...and brought my in 3X over the three day period.  In between my perfect Cubana (a non-traditional version) made with smoked Gunthorp pork loin and bacon, black beans, avocado and artisan Jack, it came with 3 different sauce combinations which allowed for every bite to have a different taste...I had a chance to meet Rick Bayless as he shot through on a recon mission of his restaurant.  A short talk and a quick picture and I back enjoying my sandwich.  The bread was grilled to panini-like perfection, hot, chewy, crispy, perfect!  I finished things off with a fruit tarte special...Michigan apples with toasted pumpkin seeds and a host of flavorful Mexican spices.  Superb, in large part to the perfect crust!

A little more walking and it was time to retrieve my car and head southside to Midway airport.  Before picking up 3 travelers and my brother, I did a quick run thru the White Castle drive through for a slack of regular sliders and a sack of CTD style sliders...double cheeseburgers with extra onions and ketchup!  There was no keeping them a surprise...if you know what I mean!  We pigged out on the way back to downtown pulling up in front of our next stop at 9:10pm...

Next up, another new stop for me, GT Fish & Oyster located at Grand and Wells...minutes from the hotel.  A quick valet and we had a bar table procured in minutes...surprisingly quick for a packed to the gills hot spot!  Our choices numbered 10 dishes each split amongst the 5 of us...

Choices ranged from Tuna Poke with mango, cucumber and black sesame...to a crab cake Napoleon...to lobster and mac....to a fine selection of raw oysters...to fish tacos...gnocchi with smoked salmon and broccoli...to PEI mussels in a great red sauce with crostini...a fine rendition of a lobster roll....and my favorite, seared sea scallops on bed of mashed acorn squash and topped with candied bacon and brussel sprouts...this one was smoking hot!  Through in a lobster and mashed potato with grilled fennel to boot.

After GT, we made it to Greek Islands in nearby Greek Town, arriving at 10:30pm to join 12 other Roadfooders already in a festive mood.  All the Greek favorites were served under the watchful eye of master Roadfooder Buddy Roadhouse.  We met a few old friends and made a few new friends....and before you knew it, we had passed the witching hour!

We headed back to the hotel and prepared for the next round of meals....more to come...
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1875
Re:Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip - October 28-29 2011/11/01 20:47:38 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Always love reading about a succesful get together of fellow roadfooders , very cool !!

Benzee
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1