Chicago/Milwaukee trip

Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
2012/05/21 23:00:22 (permalink)

Chicago/Milwaukee trip

I'm going to be in the Chicago and Milwaukee area over the Memorial Day Weekend. I'm looking for food that I can't get in Kansas City. One food that I can't get in Kansas City is Hungarian. Is there a Hungarian restaurant in either Chicago or Milwaukee?

CNW

15 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2564
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/21 23:07:56 (permalink)
    CNW,

I think Serbian may be close.  Ilija's Place in Milwaukee is a favorite of the Contingent.

Pie Diva and I are holding our annual Pie Fest/Smoke Day on May 26.  We'd be happy to have you join us and meet several Roadfooders, but beware, the menu is mostly centered on barbecue and pie.  I'm pretty sure those are available in the K.C. area.

Jim
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 03:13:35 (permalink)
    CNW,
    What are the specific dates you'll be in town, and do you already have plans?  If you have a spare moment or two, I'd like to show my appreciation for all your volunteer work at the American Royal Barbecue Sauce Store.  I'm free on Friday the 25th if you're around.  We can even do a mini tour of some great Chicago food stops.

If you're available on the 26th, I highly recommend taking JRPfeff up on his offer and joining us for Smoke Day/Pie Fest.  Not only will you experience some great 'Que and eat more amazing pies than you ever thought possible, you can also earn an honorary membership in The Contingent.  If you're staying in Chicago and need a ride up north, we can probably accommodate you.

As for a Hungarian restaurant, I haven't been to any I can remember, but this turned up in a Google search:
    The Epicurean Hungarian Restaurant
    4431 W. Roosevelt Road
    Hillside IL, (southwest suburb)
    (708) 449-1000

You're probably better off not limiting yourself to Hungarian, and instead looking for the more general Eastern European.  As JRPfeff indicates, between our two towns we've got a plethora of Serbian, Romanian, Bulgarian, and of course, Polish restaurants.  Ilja's in Milwaukee would be an excellent choice.  Here in Chicago, one of my favorites is:
    Smak-Tak Restaurant
    5961 N Elston Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60646
    (773) 763-1123

Smak-Tak (Polish for "Delicious, Yes!") is a small, cozy place on the city's northwest side.  Wonderful food served in large portions for a very reasonable price.  On our last visit I had the Hungarian Style Pancake, an enormous potato pancake, folded over like a crepe, stuffed with goulash, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and peppers, then adorned with copious dollops of sour cream.  Mrs. Roadhouse and I shared the dish and still couldn't finish it!

Let us know what your plans are and maybe we can do something together.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/05/22 03:14:40
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2886
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 07:00:05 (permalink)
    Last time I drove by, Epicurian was closed.  Been a few months...could have re-opened.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 12:59:48 (permalink)
    CTD, like I said, I've never been to Epicurean, so know little about it, including whether or not it is still in business.  I'm glad you're familiar with it.  You may have saved CNW a wasted trip.

CNW, try Smak-Tak, you won't be disappointed.  Or if you want to go up north, check out Ilja's.

Buddy
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 13:30:35 (permalink)
    or head to morton grove for a great pizza

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 13:55:04 (permalink)
    That is another thing lacking in KC; a great pizza.  Since meeting my future wife, from Kansas City, some 34 years ago, I must have visited KC more than a hundred times.  I've had amazing Barbecue, incredible Fried Chicken, top notch Mexican, excellent Asian, outstanding Italian, fantastic Burgers, and a lot of other really good food that has become lost in the folds of my brain.  But I have yet to eat a really good pizza in my adopted hometown.

CNW, if you're thinking about coming to Burt's, as I assume phatphil is suggesting, don't do it without a reservation, which includes your full food order.  If that's of interest to you, I will be happy to help you set up the reservation.  But keep in mind, I won't be there to serve you.  This Saturday I'll be in Milwaukee chowing down on Barbecue and Pie provided by JRPfeff and the Pie Diva.  And as stated above, you are welcome to join us for that event.

Buddy
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1016
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 15:00:35 (permalink)
    I don't know whether Russian food appeals, but I've enjoyed my meals at Russian Tea Time, which is near the Art Institute of Chicago.  I haven't been there for a while, but the Chicago Tribune just had a review of it a few days ago.  Not cheap, but good.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-17/features/ct-dining-0517-veg-russian-20120517_1_veggie-cook-vegetable-potato
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 16:27:10 (permalink)
    ilwaukee's only Hungarian restaurant closed several years ago. I concur with Ilija's Place in Cudahy. I can't find his webage but the menu can be found here: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/43/470993/restaurant/Milwaukee/Ilijas-Place-Cudahy I haven't had Polish food in Chicago but you can't go wrong with either Polonez or Crocus here in Milwaukee. I find the food at Crocus more to my tastes with the added bonus of more reasonable prices. http://www.crocusrestaurant.com/ I would have been happy to join you but I'm going with The Contingent enjoying Smoke Day. I hope you can join us. If store front Malaysian or unusual hard to find Chinese sounds good, I can give you 2 suggestions.
    http://www.allmenus.com/wi/waukesha/114466-mr-wok/menu/
    http://www.pekinghousepewaukee.com/ (ask for the owner to help pick out your meal using the two authentic Chinese menus)
    CNW
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 17:46:36 (permalink)
    I was already planning to go to Smoke Day. Emailed JRPfeff a few weeks ago. Will be in Milwaukee on Friday and Saturday; Chicago Sunday and Monday with family friends. Don't know about food plans for Sunday and Monday. Looking for Dinner Friday night. I understand that Smoke (er Pie) Day gets underway around 2pm.

CNW
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 20:01:05 (permalink)
    Of the Milwaukee places mentioned, do you have a preference?  Or is there someplace else you've found in your own research?  We could probably put together a last minute Contingent gathering to welcome you to the upper Midwest.

If the general theme of Eastern European appeals to you, speaking strictly for myself, I've been to Polonez and Ilja's.  Love them both, but haven't been to Crocus yet, so that would be my first choice.  I would happily defer to you as an out of town guest or the will of the group if we get that far.

Anyone else up for a Friday night dinner welcoming a Kansas City Roadfooder to our neck of the woods?  I know it means we'll have to see each other twice in less than 24 hours, but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2564
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 20:21:43 (permalink)
    CNW,

Did I reply with my address?  I received a couple inquiries and think I confused them.

Jim
    CNW
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/22 23:26:34 (permalink)
    Jim, you did send me the address. Jeff, thanks for the invite but I'm driving from KC straight thru to Milwaukee on Friday where I already have a hotel paid for. I look forward to meeting everyone on Saturday. The big decision that I have to make before I leave is Wilton or Crown Candy on the way.

Chris
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/23 14:23:14 (permalink)
    So, you'll be arriving late, after dinner on Friday?

Buddy
    CNW
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/23 17:16:12 (permalink)
    I plan to leave Overland Park around 7am. I am going 35/80 in order to pick up some Templeton Rye Whiskey in Iowa. Going to stop in Wilton for Ice Cream and somewhere else for a BPT. Not sure where yet. I anticipate arrival in the Milwaukee area between 7 and 8pm. I am loathe to make plans for Friday night in case I get delayed. Ilija's looks great but they close early, not sure if I will make it. Where's the best BPT east of Des Moines on I80?

Chris
    post edited by CNW - 2012/05/23 17:25:36
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicago/Milwaukee trip 2012/05/24 01:52:43 (permalink)
    BPTs are Davydd's territory.  If he doesn't reply in this thread, I would send him a PM, or check out the extensive BPT threads over in the sandwich forum.

Buddy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1