Chicjen Salad

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2013/04/27 00:51:07 (permalink)

Chicjen Salad

Traditional Chicken Salad has taken a hit over the past decade or two much like Tuna salad with white meat or Albacore based salads dominating with often very strange ingredients using fruits and nuts over the original recipes in the name of health.

During the 70's what I made daily was from 4 whole poached chickes and nothing but chopped sweet pickles later replaced by relish, sliced celery replaced by minced, celery, and a sauce made of heavy mayo, sugar, and white pepper. By the end of the decade, those type of salads were replaced with so-called healthful white meat, fruit, and nut salads, just as Tuna became a cotton tasting white meat salad.

It's rare to find a dark/white meat salad with the basic ingredients. Only Publix offers a coffin packed simile of the above and from what I gather Chick-a-filla does too from their leftover rotiseree and fried chicken. The deli's are long gone around here and should you find a salad, it's the fruit and nut type.

Do any of you still do the old style? I tried several versions when we still were doing wraps, subs,Ciabatta and regular sandwiches. There was no concensus. Too sweet/salty  or not sweet/salty enough, gross/disguting dark meat, too or too less mayo, the chicken was too spongy being poached to 160 degrees boiled and not roasted and most hated the relish.

I do a killer recipe using white meat chicken as above and in a dill/garlic/parsely/basil forceful sauce and another using Tarragon that's very well accepted. Yet the traditional isn't. I've experimented with roasted, brined chicken that seems to have a better texture for the classic recipes. This needs a serious update.

Any classic recipes that anyone wants to share. I really need a tradional salad to round out the three. I'm pretty much covered with the Tuna now with one that everyone seemed to agree on.

If this thread gets going, I'll post my existing ratios

post edited by DawnT - 2013/04/27 00:57:10

17 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18458
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/04/27 11:10:39 (permalink)
    I have never eaten chicken salad in my life. When I was a little boy my mother warned me not to ever eat chicken salad because, "If you eat it you'll get very sick and die." It's just about the only advice my mother gave me to which I ever paid any attention.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/04/27 17:31:14 (permalink)
    Well, I don't have a written down recipe but if I'm not using leftover chicken, I buy some bone in, skin on breasts and roast them instead of poaching them. I like the flavor better. After that it's salt, pepper, chopped celery and mayo. I then add whatever I feel like. Tarragon is one of my favorite things to add. I do really like to add a variety of fresh herbs.  Something I tried recently is dried cranberries. I do like that but not if I'm adding the tarragon.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/04/27 23:05:46 (permalink)
    we used to make a chicken rice salad with mayo, dill, almonds, and grapes.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/04/28 15:12:56 (permalink)
    agnesrob

Well, I don't have a written down recipe but if I'm not using leftover chicken, I buy some bone in, skin on breasts and roast them instead of poaching them. I like the flavor better. After that it's salt, pepper, chopped celery and mayo. I then add whatever I feel like. Tarragon is one of my favorite things to add. I do really like to add a variety of fresh herbs.  Something I tried recently is dried cranberries. I do like that but not if I'm adding the tarragon.

Yes to the tarragon! I use it in tuna salad as well! Sometimes some chopped green olives!
    sandrew834
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/08/28 08:32:33 (permalink)
    I love this recipe. So does my whole family. It is a great starter recipe. You can make it as is or you can add or take out the things you like or dislike. I love the slivered almonds in mine. I like to cut up some apples and grapes and serve them on the side. That way everyone can eat it the way they like it. I don't put celery in mine but I do add a finely chopped green onion and some sour cream to the mayo. I use half of the mayo and the other half sour cream. It is great!
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1051
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/08/28 11:17:36 (permalink)
    Science Hill Inn in Shelbyville, KY does a fantastic chicken salad. 
    http://www.sciencehillinnky.com/index.html
    White meat chicken, cut into small cubes, chopped sweet baby gherkins, chopped celery, smallest possible amount of homemade mayonnaise to bind together, salt and white pepper to taste.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5078
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/08/28 11:29:13 (permalink)
    rumaki

Science Hill Inn in Shelbyville, KY does a fantastic chicken salad. 
    http://www.sciencehillinnky.com/index.html
    White meat chicken, cut into small cubes, chopped sweet baby gherkins, chopped celery, smallest possible amount of homemade mayonnaise to bind together, salt and white pepper to taste.

I can vouch for that. Not fancy, just delicious!
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1163
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/08/28 13:37:32 (permalink)
    I used to make it with a little chopped onion and celery(more celery than onion), mayo, salt, and pepper. 

A co-worker brought some in made with finely chopped parsley and scallions, mayo, salt, and pepper, and that's the way I make it now.

boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/08/28 17:57:59 (permalink)
    When I worked at the bistro, we made a curried chicken salad with chicken breast poached, celery, onion, green and red seedless grapes, curry powder, mayo, and sour cream. We served this on a fresh baguette. Great light sandwich.

David O.
    sandrew834
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/09/12 08:59:14 (permalink)
    I love chicken salad and I am always looking for a great recipe. I don’t actually have a fabulous recipe, so I will be glad to try this one. There is a restaurant around here that makes the most incredible Poppy seed Chicken Salad. It is just amazing! I would kill for that recipe.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/09/12 09:55:53 (permalink)
    Try replacing the full-fat mayo in your favorite salad recipe with a combination of 1/2 fat free mayo and 1/2 low-fat plain yogurt.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the result.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/09/12 12:18:53 (permalink)
    When I was a youngster, my mother would always take the leftover
    beef roast,  or ham, and yes, chicken, and drag out the grinder attachment to the kitchen aid mixer and grind em up. 
    I don't think I've seen any for sale as sandwiches in recent times.
    Always egg salad and tuna salad. I'd love a good beef salad sandwich right now, in fact. :)
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8365
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/09/12 12:55:44 (permalink)
    I make chicken salad with mayo, onions, celery, cashews , and in summer with grapes. Mom made it like that for her bridge playing friends in the 60s. I ran a deli for years, and it was a hit-made gallons of it for special orders and to sell in the case. I do have a couple secret ingredients, however!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/09/12 20:14:51 (permalink)
    i LIKE those fruits and nuts in my chicken salad---dried cranberries and toasted pecans,usually,and i put them in there cuz they TASTE GOOD! even if they are healthful!--with very little mayo on a Bulkie roll!

marteenhook
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/10/03 01:05:30 (permalink)
    I love chicken salad and always looking for new recipes of chicken salad. I always use lots of fresh tomatos and spices because I like spicy salad.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10267
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/10/03 01:50:28 (permalink)
    The best Chicken Salad I've had comes from Fry's, (Kroger) Deli. It's made by some supplier that I'm trying to get the name of, but it's good.
    amandabanana
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Chicjen Salad 2013/10/13 00:05:04 (permalink)
    I'm kind of picky when it comes to chicken salad and I'm not very fond of the fruit and nuts that people seem to add to theirs. Recently I found probably one of the best recipes that I've had in a long time for chicken salad. It was a great mixture of chicken and onion flavor that to me is so perfect for chicken salad.

1/4 cup white vinegar
    salt (to taste)
    pepper (to taste)
    1-1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1-1/4 cup sour cream
    4 stocks celery, chopped
    1 bunch green onion, chopped
    4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; cooked and shredded
    Directions:
    Mix vinegar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise and sour cream together.  Mix celery, green onion and chicken in separate bowl. Mix all ingredients together. Let set overnight or for a few hours for the best flavor.  Serve on buns or rolls.
    post edited by amandabanana - 2013/10/13 00:06:19
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1