Chicken Fried Bacon

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/04/11 02:38:53 (permalink)

Chicken Fried Bacon

My sister-in-law sent us a video link on Youtube for Chicken Fried Bacon this morning. Her and her partner had tried this at a state fair a couple of days ago and were absolutely crazy about this. I searched the net for info and recipes and came up with a several non-specific recipes on doing this treat. I tried several combinations using both some recipes and my own developed chicken breader using both thick and regular bacon. There's a winner somewhere in here if we get it right. So far, thin bacon works best around 2m at 375 degrees. The breader needs more much more pepper then chicken. The cream gravies as described are lacking. Frying up some hot TN Pride sausage for the drippings for the sauce made a big difference making the rouix and adding much more pepper (Tellicherry). The bacon resists using an egg wash. I used the same double dip method that I do chicken with and decided against the standard egg wash.

After a few empirical attempts, we came up with a first effort worthy of serving. Not right, but a first attempt that blew three diets that maybe should be served with a megadose of Zocor.

Anyone care to add to our cardiovascular disaster?

3 Replies Related Threads

doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Chicken Fried Bacon 2010/04/11 08:49:32 (permalink)

Hi Dawn,

Chicken fried bacon was one of the very first items I had when I moved here. Here is a Shuggie Burger with CFB and Gouda cheese.

Of course I too had to try my hand at it and here is my version  that I sold as a burger special.  I used panko.

mark
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    Re:Chicken Fried Bacon 2010/04/11 21:21:44 (permalink)
    The chicken fried bacon I have tried in Snook, Texas was not breaded it was dipped in a batter, dredged in flower  and then fried.  They used thick sliced bacon.
    Is this the clip you saw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU

Joe
    post edited by Texianjoe - 2010/04/11 21:26:25
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Chicken Fried Bacon 2010/04/11 22:27:22 (permalink)
    That's the video Joe. I watched it several times and first time they show it, it looks like egg and then the second they do it, I thought it looked like a thin slurry b4 it goes into the flour. The other thing I caught was the two step fry. The bacon in the first shot looked like thick, hotel sliced bacon to me too. I also searched out recipes for chicken fried steak. Pretty much the same: egg wash and seasoned flour. After several tries, my first determination is that the thick sliced bacon seemed too thick and the thinner made more of a crunchy, albiet more difficult to bread strip. The second was using my method of frying chicken which is a breading then water dip that creates a fine, even coat b4 going back into the breader. It's a bit more effective then making a thin slurry with the same results on chicken. It seemed to make the best coating for the bacon so far. The two step frying though is what I'm wondering about now.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1