Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicken Fried Steak

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 81
Filetofish

• Total Posts: 59
Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 01/10/11 8:01 AM (permalink)
Last summer, we took an RV trip to the west and south. Spent a night at a campground in Hurricane Mills, TN. In the morning before we left, we walked down the road to the Log Cabin Restaurant to have breakfast. I ordered the chicken fried steak, eggs over, 2 biscuits w/gravy, hash browns and coffee. She had scrabbled eggs, bacon, homefries, biscuits w/gravy and coffee.
The waitress delivered the biggest CFS I ever had. It was also the best I ever had. I presume that it was dipped and breaded then deep fried. It was delicious. The biscuits and gravy was excellent too. In fact, the whole breakfast was out of this world.
She took a take out tray back to the RV.
Right off I-40. Don't miss it.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
    Re:Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 01/10/11 9:51 AM (permalink)
    If you get down to Texas you will run into the Mecca of chicken fried steaks. They take them more seriously down there than anywhere else I've been. However, since just about every place has them you stand a good chance of disappointment as well. Chicken fried steaks are a dicey proposition because of the great variables in the quality of beef used.

Filetofish

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 01/10/11 10:00 AM (permalink)
      We did get to Texas and had some great CFS there too. Fried pie as well, hell BBQ, sausage............
      No problem at all in Texas.

Play27

• Total Posts: 113
        Re:Chicken Fried Steak Tue, 01/11/11 10:55 AM (permalink)
        George's-Waco, TX. Best while is was in college at Baylor in the early 80's. Went back last Spring, just as good.

Filetofish

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 01/12/11 9:59 AM (permalink)
          Play27

George's-Waco, TX. Best while is was in college at Baylor in the early 80's. Went back last Spring, just as good.

Thanks.
          We are mad that we didn't stop for NC BBQ of all the times we were in NC....next time.

DougS

• Total Posts: 475
            Re:Chicken Fried Steak Tue, 01/18/11 8:55 PM (permalink)
            I have never had good gravy out of a restaurant.
            Most of it could be replaced with wallpaper paste and you wouldn't notice a difference. But that breakfast at the Log Cabin Restaurant just may change all that. Sure sounds like enough to send a lumberjack off to work....happy.

Filetofish

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 01/19/11 4:39 AM (permalink)
              I agree that most gravies are like paste but this breakfast was very unusual, everything was fine.

You know, perhaps the cook makes all the difference too.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                Re:Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 01/19/11 12:33 PM (permalink)
                Filetofish

I agree that most gravies are like paste but this breakfast was very unusual, everything was fine.

You know, perhaps the cook makes all the difference too.

This is true of EVERYTHING that's cooked. The Cooks DO make the difference. Nothing cooks itself!

dimmie2

• Total Posts: 238
                  Re:Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 01/19/11 5:18 PM (permalink)
                  Wright's Drive-In in Durant, OK has one of the best chicken fried steaks I've ever eaten.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1951
                    Re:Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 01/19/11 10:09 PM (permalink)
                    I will have CFS With mashed & cream gravy for a special tomorrow....It will sell out quickly.
                    I started serving breakfast a few months ago, people are amazed that I can make good gravy. The word is out about my b&g. I get women pull  up in the morning and I have them pegged for an egg white burrito...No..b&g!

My mom grew up in Texas, passed on her way of making it, which she perfected over the years cooking at home for my grandfather, the butcher. CFS was one of his favorite dishes, along with fresh buttermilk biscuits.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                      Re:Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 01/19/11 10:34 PM (permalink)
                      CFS for breakfast is a fabulous way to start off the day.
                      Eggs over easy and cottage fries. perfection.
                      <message edited by bill voss on Thu, 02/3/11 11:23 PM>

chefbuba

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 01/19/11 11:13 PM (permalink)
                        Mmmmmmmmm..............

Filetofish

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 01/20/11 8:33 AM (permalink)
                          Thanks for straightening me out........lol.

chefbuba

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 02/3/11 10:50 PM (permalink)
                            Mmmmmm....

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                              Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 02/3/11 10:54 PM (permalink)
                              Home made beats any purchased outside of the home.

1bbqboy

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 02/3/11 11:24 PM (permalink)
                                Oh, I disagree. Stroud's for instance, far surpasses anything I can accomplish at home.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3546
                                  Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 02/3/11 11:26 PM (permalink)
                                  CFS.....mmmmmm.......

Foodbme

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 02/3/11 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                    I make a decent one but I've had some very good ones "Outside"

hannahbannah

• Total Posts: 31
                                      Re:Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 02/4/11 12:20 AM (permalink)
                                      The worst chicken fried steak I have ever eaten was at Lulus in San Antonio Texas.  It was huge, but not ment for human consumption.  The Cinnamon rolls were outstanding though.
                                        Chef bubba, That food looks mighty tasty.  The gravy looks like milk and jsut salt and pepper.  Gravy with the sausage in it is not my cup of tea.  Gravy is the hardest thing to make.  At Thanksgiving I pray my gravy will be good........any secrets?? 

Foodbme

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 02/4/11 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                        hannahbannah,
                                        Secret to good Turkey Gravy starts with the Stuffing and Turkey prep. If you stuff the bird with a well seasoned stuffing mixture, the flavors of the stuffing will infuse the drippings in the pan. ALWAYS make your gravy in the same pan used to roast the turkey to get every drop of flavor. Using butter to baste the bird adds good flavor. ALWAYS mix your flour & water in a separate bowl before adding it to the pan drippings. Sometimes chicken stock can be mixed with the water. Just Remember, well seasoned Stuffing = Good Gravy!

1bbqboy

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 02/4/11 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                          thanksgiving is so last year.
                                          <message edited by bill voss on Fri, 02/4/11 1:41 PM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                                            Re:Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 02/14/11 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                            Last week I had what I thought was a good CFS at Sugar & Spice Eatery but as this is something I hardly ever eat I have no idea how it would stack up against others that are "known good".  I ordered mashed potatoes on the side; it looked quite a bit like Chefbuba's above and was crisp, not soggy, with homemade potatoes and gravy.

Brad
                                            <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Mon, 02/14/11 1:13 PM>

kaszeta

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 02/14/11 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                              Probably the best chicken fried steak I ever had was at The Pines Cafe in Palmdale, CA:

Good beef, nice crusty breading, not overly greasy, and excellent gravy made to order.   This was also the most excessive meal I've ever had that didn't involve the phrases "all you can eat" or "eat this, and it's free"

Alas, The Pines turned into a Mexican place a few months after my visit.

missvuster

• Total Posts: 69
                                                Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 06/9/11 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                                MMMM chicken fried steak is sooooo gooooddddd!!!

TomatoMustard

• Total Posts: 25
                                                  Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 06/23/11 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                                  Davydd

If you get down to Texas you will run into the Mecca of chicken fried steaks. They take them more seriously down there than anywhere else I've been. However, since just about every place has them you stand a good chance of disappointment as well. Chicken fried steaks are a dicey proposition because of the great variables in the quality of beef used.

I believe I need to live in the Mecca of chicken fried steak. A place where one can reflect on life while eating the subsistence of the gods!

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                                                    Re:Chicken Fried Steak Thu, 06/23/11 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                    My vote for the very best CFS is the Monument Cafe in Georgetown Texas. And it's 3.5 miles from my front door.

Filetofish

• Location: Gloucester, MA
                                                      Re:Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 06/24/11 7:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      Texas had great ChixFS and CountryFS. We'll be back.

Foodbme

Re:Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/25/11 4:39 AM (permalink)
                                                        Lyrics from the Zac Brown Band's Hit -"Chicken Fried"
                                                         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b26wu3Ms34M
                                                        You know I like my chicken fried
                                                        Cold beer on a Friday night
                                                        A pair of jeans that fit just right
                                                        And the radio up
                                                        I like to see the sunrise
                                                        see the love in my woman's eyes
                                                        feel the touch of a precious child
                                                        know a mother's love.

Well I was raised up beneath the shade of a Georgia pine
                                                        And that`s home you know
                                                        Sweet tea pecan pie and homemade wine
                                                        Where the peaches grow
                                                        In my house it`s not much to talk about
                                                        But it`s filled with love that`s grown in southern ground
                                                        And a little bit of chicken fried

And the radio up
                                                        Well I`ve seen the sunrise
                                                        See the love in my woman`s eyes
                                                        Feel the touch of a precious child
                                                        And know a mother`s love

Well its funny how it`s the little things in life that mean the most
                                                        Not where you live, the car you drive, or the price tag on your clothes
                                                        There`s no dollar sign on a piece of mind this I`ve come to know
                                                        So if you agree have a drink with me
                                                        Raise your glasses for a toast
                                                        To a little bit of chicken fried

And the radio up
                                                        And know a mother`s love

I thank god for my life
                                                        And for the stars and stripes
                                                        May freedom forever fly, let it ring.
                                                        Salute the ones who died
                                                        The ones that give their lives so we don`t have to sacrifice
                                                        All the things we love
                                                        Like our chicken fried

And the radio up
                                                        And know a mother`s love

<message edited by Foodbme on Sat, 06/25/11 4:41 AM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          Re:Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/25/11 5:24 AM (permalink)
                                                          I had some mighty good chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes at the T-Bone Steak House in Weatherford, Oklahoma recently.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                                            • Location: McKinney, TX
                                                            Re:Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/25/11 9:07 AM (permalink)
                                                            I treat myself to CFS a few times a year; it is some tasty stuff!  The best I have had recently was at Lucy's On The Square in Celina, TX.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 81

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com