Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicken Fried Steak

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 5 of 8, messages 121 to 150 of 233
robicheaux

• Total Posts: 99
RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 10/21/05 5:19 PM (permalink)
Chicken Fried Steak will never be a Wiener

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 10/24/05 1:56 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    I'm still looking for decent CFS in Milwaukee, though. Anyone with recommendations?

hahahaha, yeah Denny's.

Although in Waukesha we have a Texas style restaurant opening soon. I will let you know how that goes.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
      RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 10/24/05 3:31 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by stricken_detective

quote:
      I'm still looking for decent CFS in Milwaukee, though. Anyone with recommendations?

hahahaha, yeah Denny's.

Although in Waukesha we have a Texas style restaurant opening soon. I will let you know how that goes.

According to Dennis Ghetto, the Palomino Bar has a great chicken fried steak and it's probably not too far from your home. www.onwisconsin.com/dining/dining.asp?id=3280
      CSD

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
        RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 10/24/05 4:30 PM (permalink)
        Once upon a time, in a land far different than the one of his birth, a young airman reported to his first posting at an airbase in Arkansas. Soon tired of the chowhall chow he made his way to town. Entering a small sandwich shop he sat and scanned the menu, "steak sandwich!" oh heaven be praised, salivating at the memories of those steak sandwich icons, Geno's and Pat's the young airman placed his order and impatently awaited his food. Amazed and disillusioned he stared at the plate set before him, what is THIS? he wondered, a hamburger bun filled with a breaded something that resembled shoe leather and tasted even worse... The chowhall is better than this, he thought, choking down as much of the strange sandwich as he could stomach.. In all fairness I have found in later years and better establishments that chicken fried steak smothered n white gravy is a rather enjoyable feed but that first experience will always stick with me....

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
          RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 10/24/05 8:04 PM (permalink)
          On a recent trip to Kansas City I was coerced into trying the chicken fried steak at Stroud's. Knowing that there might not be a Stroud's for very much longer, and knowing I wouldn't have too many more opportunities to eat there, I was hesitant at best. Since there were two of us, we agreed to get one traditional chicken dinner and one chicken fried steak dinner and share. I must say, I was not disappointed. The steak was melt in your mouth tender with all the rich flavors Stroud's has built their reputation on. If you're in KC between now and when they're closing the place down in January do not hesitate to try the CFS at Stroud's.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
            RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 10/24/05 8:33 PM (permalink)
            Once upon a time in a land far different from just about anyone's birth the young airman, tired of the mess hall, the BX and the beer garden wandered into the Greyhound station restaurant in Amarillo and perused the menu as Hank Williams' Kalija was playing on the juke box. Noticing what was an obvious misprint, the young airman asked the waitress about it and was told that chicken fried steak was not chicken, it was steak that was fried like chicken. Figuring anything was better than the food at the beer garden back at the base, the youth ordered same. When it was delivered, topped with beautiful gravy, with mashed potatoes mounded alongside, also covered with gravy, and a small bowl of soggy green beans sitting at the top of the huge platter, the young airman dove in. Thus was born a lifelong love affair.

With apologies to dreamzpainter, from whom this was teefed (as they say in the Virgin Islands).

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
              RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 10/24/05 9:56 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

On a recent trip to Kansas City I was coerced into trying the chicken fried steak at Stroud's. Knowing that there might not be a Stroud's for very much longer, and knowing I wouldn't have too many more opportunities to eat there, I was hesitant at best. Since there were two of us, we agreed to get one traditional chicken dinner and one chicken fried steak dinner and share. I must say, I was not disappointed. The steak was melt in your mouth tender with all the rich flavors Stroud's has built their reputation on. If you're in KC between now and when they're closing the place down in January do not hesitate to try the CFS at Stroud's.

DITTO!!

After years of eating nothing but chicken dinners at Stroud's, I tried the CFS there about 6 years ago. FABULOUS!

I don't know for sure, but I assume the north location is slated to remain open.

stricken_detective

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Tue, 10/25/05 2:01 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:

quote:

hahahaha, yeah Denny's.

According to Dennis Ghetto, the Palomino Bar has a great chicken fried steak and it's probably not too far from your home. www.onwisconsin.com/dining/dining.asp?id=3280
                CSD
                That's down by the airport, you can tell by the 747 on the phone number (unoriginal Wisconsin Bell, hahaha). I will have to try them out.

Totally off topic, prolly could email this, but I'm too tired:

Dennis Getto. Guh. His column is hidden in the Cue section of the paper now & he hardly ever reviews restaurants in Milwaukee anymore. His online reviews are always a few years (or more!) old. Maybe we should ask to be his co-pilots?

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                  RE: Chicken Fried Steak Tue, 10/25/05 6:21 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
                  Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

DITTO!!

After years of eating nothing but chicken dinners at Stroud's, I tried the CFS there about 6 years ago. FABULOUS!

I don't know for sure, but I assume the north location is slated to remain open.

Yup, the north side manor location will remain open, but it's just not the same. By the way, they are looking for a new location for the original spot but like I say, it just won't be the same.

stricken_detective

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 10/28/05 9:16 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:

quote:

hahahaha, yeah Denny's.

CSD
                    We went there last night!!! The steak was awesome, but the crust fell off it. lol No difference, it was FAN freaking TASTIC!!!

Everything there was good, they have 12 different sides & 15 dipping sauces.

No Leinenkugel's though.

jackalope

• Total Posts: 5
                      RE: Chicken Fried Steak Tue, 11/1/05 9:32 PM (permalink)
                      We ordered a "Chicken Fried Steak" in a diner on the main drag in Ely, NV this past July. Expected the usual deep fried, processed meat straight from the warehouse. After an unusual long wait, we received a tenderized chunk of lightly floured,panfried beef about the size of an ordinary dinner plate. One could actually taste beefsteak under the rather ordinary brown gravy and mashed potatoes. That experience brought me up to date on my understanding of "chicken fried steak" which had been established fifty years ago: a tenderized piece of beef, rolled in cracker meal, and deep fried. Sorry I cannot recall the name of the establshment--I certainly would recommend it

Mister F.

• Total Posts: 14
                        RE: Chicken Fried Steak Tue, 11/1/05 10:27 PM (permalink)
                        My favorite CFS was at the late, lamented Jake's Cafe in Austin Tx. The crust clung to the roundsteak, and the gravy was a rich, almost brown, cream gravy; the steak was served with salad and home-cut fries, all washed down with a fish bowl of ice-cold Bud. That was livin'.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                          RE: Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 11/2/05 6:40 PM (permalink)
                          Perhaps I've asked this before, but is there a place in New jersey that serves a great chicken fried steak?

I'm not about to go to Texas in the near future and would sure like to try what an expert on the subject would consider a world class chicken fried steak. Thanks

Respect2Glory

• Total Posts: 3
                            RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 11/7/05 3:12 AM (permalink)
                            Has anyone else tried Kentucky Fried Chicken's "Country Fried Steak"? (Available for $2/plate on Tuesdays.) Also, do you think it's comparable to what you're talking about here, or is this just another fast food dish we shouldn't talk about? LOL

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                              RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 11/7/05 3:56 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Respect2Glory

Has anyone else tried Kentucky Fried Chicken's "Country Fried Steak"? (Available for $2/plate on Tuesdays.) Also, do you think it's comparable to what you're talking about here, or is this just another fast food dish we shouldn't talk about? LOL

KFC is to Chicken as MTV is to Music.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 11/7/05 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
                                Originally posted by Respect2Glory

KFC is to Chicken as MTV is to Music.

heres' a nice one from Hays House in Council Grove Ks:

stricken_detective

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 12/3/05 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                  bumping this thread for the girl from Good Eats.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                    RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 01/27/06 7:45 AM (permalink)
                                    Cracker Barrel does a good CFS.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 01/27/06 9:13 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by John A

?????

robicheaux

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 01/27/06 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                        if in lafayette try either Petes on Johnson

or

Oil Center Diner

Michael Stern

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 01/27/06 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                          The Roadfood column in February's Gourmet features two excellent chicken-fried steak stops in Oklahoma.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 01/27/06 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Michael Stern

The Roadfood column in February's Gourmet features two excellent chicken-fried steak stops in Oklahoma.

Now that's a rotten thing to do. I mean, posting that photo is the work of the Devil. It's torture. It's so delicious!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                              RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 01/27/06 6:25 PM (permalink)
                                              CFS with cole slaw and apple sauce?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Fri, 01/27/06 6:33 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

Who's looking at the cole slaw and apple sauce?

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                                  RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 01/30/06 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by John A

A very good chain out of TN, they are in GA & FL also. Do not know of other locations.

John

robicheaux

• Location: breaux bridge, LA
                                                    RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 01/30/06 8:58 AM (permalink)
                                                    cracker barrel's are all over the usa

nice one in flagstaff,az

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                      RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 01/30/06 9:08 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

Looks like the Gravy's the right color, at least.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                        • Location: portland, OR
                                                        RE: Chicken Fried Steak Tue, 01/31/06 12:07 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Michael Stern

That looks gooood!

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
                                                          • Location: dfhbgmhmy, MN
                                                          RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 02/5/06 4:02 PM (permalink)
                                                          My version.

Sundancer7

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 02/5/06 7:15 PM (permalink)
                                                            Slick, looks good to me!!!!!

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 5 of 8, messages 121 to 150 of 233

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com